James Garner

Pughnichi

Looking forward to his return nxt season. Looks a very good prospect and done brilliantly at NF.

Good on the ball.
Good technical ability
Good passer
Composed.

Unlikely to just throw him in but I can see him breaking up the McFred pairing a good few times next season.

not quite as impressive, but Laird is regularly a top performer for MK albeit in a lower league. Hopefully he too can come back and offer AWB some competition/rest

Carl

has permanently erect nipples
What type of player has he become at Forrest? How have they used him? Tbh I never had high hopes for Garner and was really worried after his spell at Watford, but his NF performances sound really promising.

Remember the geese

What type of player has he become at Forrest? How have they used him? Tbh I never had high hopes for Garner and was really worried after his spell at Watford, but his NF performances sound really promising.
He's basically Declan Rice. I actually think he's slightly more talented than Rice too. Needs to continue to build up his physicality because that's where Rice would have the edge on him. Understandably though as Garner is still a kid.

lysglimt

Scout
He's basically Declan Rice. I actually think he's slightly more talented than Rice too. Needs to continue to build up his physicality because that's where Rice would have the edge on him. Understandably though as Garner is still a kid.
Dont agree with that - Rice is a defensive player. He is a good tackler, he reads the game well and he is very good at pressing. Garners best ability is his passing

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
He'll probably struggle for games at United. A Premier League team taking him on loan might not play him. If they could buy him they might put more effort into him. Would United selling him with a buy-back be the best option?

Last edited:

dogwithabone

Looking forward to his return nxt season. Looks a very good prospect and done brilliantly at NF.

Good on the ball.
Good technical ability
Good passer
Composed.

Unlikely to just throw him in but I can see him breaking up the McFred pairing a good few times next season.

not quite as impressive, but Laird is regularly a top performer for MK albeit in a lower league. Hopefully he too can come back and offer AWB some competition/rest

I watched Laird in a game for MK recently, against my local side Oxford, and he was outstanding. Best player on the pitch by a distance and his attcking play was like nothing you ever see in L1. His influence faded a bit as the game wore on and it’s difficult to weigh up this sort of performance in L1 as to what he might be capable of in the PL but he looks a real player.

Remember the geese

Dont agree with that - Rice is a defensive player. He is a good tackler, he reads the game well and he is very good at pressing. Garners best ability is his passing
Do you feel that the distinction to be made is that Rice is a pure defensive midfielder, where as Garner is a deep-lying playmaker? I agree that Garner's best attribute is his passing ability, but hopefully he can improve his defensive game to become a candidate to replace Matic in the next year or two.

Mickson

I think it's a difficult one deciding what to do with him. He'll probably struggle for games at United. A Premier League team taking him on loan might not play him. If they could buy him they might put more effort into him. Would United selling him with a buy-back be the best option?
Maybe Norwich? They'll be promoted and Oliver Skipp is probably going back to Tottenham, so they need a center midfielder.

Rocksy

Supports
Blackburn Rovers
Maybe Norwich? They'll be promoted and Oliver Skipp is probably going back to Tottenham, so they need a center midfielder.
Loans to Premier League clubs are bit of a risk, can't really think of many that have worked for the promising players at the top clubs.

Last edited:

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
Think Norwich or Brighton would be good clubs for him. Both of them asell at reasonable prices and so would possibly be open to a buy-back. Both have good coaches too. Loans to Premier League clubs are bit of a risk, can't really think of many that have worked for the promising players at the top clubs.
Henderson is one of the few I can think of, and even that was with a year at the same club previously.

I really wouldn't sell him with a buy back though. I'd either loan him towards the top end of the championship or use him next season and let Matic leave. If Pogba stays he'd be 4th choice for that double pivot

Carl

Championship loans > Loans to newly promoted Premier League sides that will struggle.

Ekeke

For style I'd say he's in between Carrick and Scholes and could 100% be used well in our 4-2-3-1

He's perhaps a technical and passing version of McTominay, whereas McTominay is the physical goal scoring variant.

Lappen

If we buy a new dm I could see him coming home as an option. New loan deal should be the obsion if Matic stays and a new DM comes in. He is still a kid like someone already said, but hes getting there...
I'm impressed with him and have big hopes!

RUCK4444

If we buy a new dm I could see him coming home as an option. New loan deal should be the obsion if Matic stays and a new DM comes in. He is still a kid like someone already said, but hes getting there...
I'm impressed with him and have big hopes!
He can’t be worse than Matic though. Might be too soon for him but I’d consider giving him some of the minutes Matic would be given next season.

Lappen

He can’t be worse than Matic though. Might be too soon for him but I’d consider giving him some of the minutes Matic would be given next season.
I think you are right, Matic been horrible so he probably wouldn't do worse.
I'm not sure if Ole would play Garner before Matic if they both are in the team. Thats way I think he be better of in a loan again.

Marwood

For style I'd say he's in between Carrick and Scholes and could 100% be used well in our 4-2-3-1

He's perhaps a technical and passing version of McTominay, whereas McTominay is the physical goal scoring variant.
Having watched both come through and how they're playing today I don't really see any similarities between McTominay and Garner. Chalk and cheese.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Garner's a great tempo setter as well, something that I think is lacking in Rice's game, although he's not really being used as that kind of midfielder at West Ham.

Tallis

I could see him establishing himself in the first team in 2 years time.

Ekeke

Having watched both come through and how they're playing today I don't really see any similarities between McTominay and Garner. Chalk and cheese.
The similarity is that they'd both play in the 2 in a 4-2-3-1 without being a strict DM. The differences were already listed. McTominay is physical, scores goals and is established so will be starting but if we wanted technique and passing instead for a certain match thats where Garner could come in as an alternative.

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
Can he pass the ball 5 yards? Check
Can he keep the ball and not give it to the opposition? Check
Can he not run around like a headless chicken? Check

Then he’s better than Fred and should be play for us

In Rainbows

The similarity is that they'd both play in the 2 in a 4-2-3-1 without being a strict DM. The differences were already listed. McTominay is physical, scores goals and is established so will be starting but if we wanted technique and passing instead for a certain match thats where Garner could come in as an alternative.
Well Garner was always a dm and even played CB at times. It just hasn't translated as well in the senior game as he's still young. McTominay is more of a shove in at DM than Garner.

Fanta Stick

Every touch against Brentford in better quality than posted above.

I watched the game live and he was probably Forest's best player. I try not to engage in hyperbole but I can't see why he can't be involved with our first team next season, when you consider what our current options are and depending on what we do in the transfer market.

DomM

Can he pass the ball 5 yards? Check
Can he keep the ball and not give it to the opposition? Check
Can he not run around like a headless chicken? Check

Then he’s better than Fred and should be play for us
in fairness most midfielders pass those credentials. We really should be looking for an upgrade, someone confident on the ball who can dictate play, other teams have them so why not us?

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
He’s improving but he needs at least 1 more full season loan. It’s the most difficult position and you rarely see someone so young running the game for a big team. If he was a forest player we wouldn't be looking to sign him on what’s he’s shown so far but hes got plenty of time and credit in the bank yet. I’d like to see Garner and Laird back as squad options next year but I don’t think they’ll get enough football to stake a legit first team claim or develop enough and would probably only end up going out on loan again anyway...

P-Nut

I see no reason he can't be for us what Billy Gilmour is for Chelsea. He doesn't need to be playing every game, but he'll need to be trusted to play some of the games.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
He’s improving but he needs at least 1 more full season loan. It’s the most difficult position and you rarely see someone so young running the game for a big team. If he was a forest player we wouldn't be looking to sign him on what’s he’s shown so far but hes got plenty of time and credit in the bank yet. I’d like to see Garner and Laird back as squad options next year but I don’t think they’ll get enough football to stake a legit first team claim or develop enough and would probably only end up going out on loan again anyway...
I would give Garner games for Man Utd next season. With the economic situation being what it is and all the other holes in our squad we're probably not going to buy a midfielder, so why not let him have a go?

Of our current set of midfielders, if you're considering Bruno a #10, none of them can be considered 'the future.' Pogba has one year left on his deal and if he doesn't decide to sign a new one he's gone. Matic should already be gone but we gave him a new deal last summer. Fred is a trier but is never going to be good enough. McTominay, likewise, is probably a reliable squad player but not a top level talent. Van de Beek looks lost.

Garner may not be the future either but, at least unlike some of those others a) he's still pretty young and b) he wants to be at United long term. What would we really lose by letting him have a chance next season? Could he be that much worse than Matic?

Inigo Montoya

Leave Wayne Rooney alone!!
in fairness most midfielders pass those credentials. We really should be looking for an upgrade, someone confident on the ball who can dictate play, other teams have them so why not us?
Other teams have a player in that position that doesn’t do stupid things, we do!

Bissouma for me ticks those boxes 100%. Have Garner as back up and get rid of Matic now

Marwood

I would give Garner games for Man Utd next season. With the economic situation being what it is and all the other holes in our squad we're probably not going to buy a midfielder, so why not let him have a go?

Of our current set of midfielders, if you're considering Bruno a #10, none of them can be considered 'the future.' Pogba has one year left on his deal and if he doesn't decide to sign a new one he's gone. Matic should already be gone but we gave him a new deal last summer. Fred is a trier but is never going to be good enough. McTominay, likewise, is probably a reliable squad player but not a top level talent. Van de Beek looks lost.

Garner may not be the future either but, at least unlike some of those others a) he's still pretty young and b) he wants to be at United long term. What would we really lose by letting him have a chance next season? Could he be that much worse than Matic?
I'm not sure he's physically ready. I don't doubt his ability but it's hard to show what you can do in midfield if you're not quick enough or strong enough.

Then again he might fill out over the next few months and be ready.

Ali Dia

I think a major defensive midfield signing should be just as important as a striker or right wing this summer but realistically we aren’t going to fix all our problems in one window so there would likely be some minutes here for Garner and Laird next year. I’m still not sure it’ll be enough to really develop or learn that much from unless we have an injury crisis and they are left in for a proper run. I know everyone is down on loans because they are risky but I actually think we need to take a leaf out of Chelsea’s book and loan most of them out until they show the kind of form that would make us want to sign them if they weren’t ours in the first place. U23s is way too low of standard to show anything. If they don’t majorly develop and start showing their class down the leagues then they are constantly in the shop window at least. It’s good for them and for us.

red woppit

Supports
Northampton Town
Good comments.
When all these players come back from loans, and start with pre season, then Ole will know which ones will be ready to fit into the first team, and who will need another loan. It will also depend on whether any, or all of Pogba, Matic, VDB and Lingard have been sold.
I've been impressed with Garner in the past few games, albeit only highlights, although he looked a bit off the pace against a very good, Premier League team in Norwich, he certainly looked better against Brentford, and hopefully will continue to improve in the rest of Forest's games.
I wouldn't have a problem with Garner coming back into the squad, and getting a few games, but another 6 or 12 month loan may make a big difference to Garner's football education.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I see no reason he can't be for us what Billy Gilmour is for Chelsea. He doesn't need to be playing every game, but he'll need to be trusted to play some of the games.
Billy Gilmour has played 711 minutes for Chelsea this season. What good is that going to do for Garner? I’d rather he go on loan again and get another triple the minutes of what Gilmour has at Chelsea.

P-Nut

Billy Gilmour has played 711 minutes for Chelsea this season. What good is that going to do for Garner? I’d rather he go on loan again and get another triple the minutes of what Gilmour has at Chelsea.
He's going to have to take the plunge eventually, and I'd hope progress in the cups could lead to more minutes for him. He's got the skillset we need in that DM position.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
He's going to have to take the plunge eventually, and I'd hope progress in the cups could lead to more minutes for him. He's got the skillset we need in that DM position.
There’s no rush. He plays in a position players mature in probably the latest in terms of youth talent. We don’t need to stockpile players in the squad to stagnate. Young players need football.

Tuanzebe is a good example — 28 matches for Villa, helping them get promotion. Instead of going back on loan, or being sold with a nice buy-back clause, he came back here and since has played half the minutes in 2 seasons that he did in that one season on loan.

GazTheLegend

I know a few Forest fans due to a friend going to Nottingham Uni and they rate him very highly. He just sits in front of the back four and tries to keep the ball progressing. Also to quote "amazed that he has a normal haircut for a young player"

Ali Dia

There’s no rush. He plays in a position players mature in probably the latest in terms of youth talent. We don’t need to stockpile players in the squad to stagnate. Young players need football.

Tuanzebe is a good example — 28 matches for Villa, helping them get promotion. Instead of going back on loan, or being sold with a nice buy-back clause, he came back here and since has played half the minutes in 2 seasons that he did in that one season on loan.
This is what I’ve been saying for years. Get them out if there isn’t at least 10/15 games as a starter going. We are obviously better off having these guys here in case of injuries but it does their development no good at the end of the day. If they can prove themselves we either get more money for them or a better player back. Sitting players in the u23 or in limbo like willams is not much use beyond a certain point.

Carl

I know a few Forest fans due to a friend going to Nottingham Uni and they rate him very highly. He just sits in front of the back four and tries to keep the ball progressing. Also to quote "amazed that he has a normal haircut for a young player"
:lol:

marktan

To be honest it would be a terrible idea to bring him back next season - he needs regular minutes.

He has a very good passing range, is good under pressure, and can tackle - but look at that performance against Brentford - he still looks raw. He needs another season at least of regular football to grow physically and get up to speed with the game - he only just turned 20 this month and this is his first proper top flight season.

Compare him to someone like Ndidi or Bissouma who play the DM role - both of them are more physical, and have a better spring in their step. Garner looks too stationary at times, he needs to learn to bring the ball forward more. These are things he'll learn with regular playing time, more physical development and good coaching staff - he won't get that at United playing the odd game in the league cup. Nottingham have a good manager now in Houghton and the fans like him so we really should leave him there for another season.