James Garner

Andrew7582

If ETH comes he will almost certainly bring Masaroui with him
I hope so, that would be a really nice pick up on a free transfer.

No maybe not under ETH, even though I think he can be developed further. I think he could be useful for closing a game or just playing 1vs1 against some players. With that in mind, I would def sell him (or never bought him) if I was in charge.
Ok then we are mostly in agreement. This idea about having two different types of player for the same position is more Mourinho management style, coaches like ETH need players who fit seamlessly into the system above all else.

londonredmaniac

I suffer delusions of grandeur
I just don't see Garner as being quite that level to be a United regular...not if we have plans of progressing to our previous heights. I've not watched enough of him for that opinion to mean anything mind...just from what I have seen.

I think he's definitely got a career in the game. Whether that be similar to the likes of Ben Pearson and Joe Rothwell or at Premier League level like Michael Keane etc.

He's obviously got talent, he's tidy, he passed the ball well and he seems fairly well liked by Forest fans.

I'm happy to be wrong, as always in these situations. It's a fecking tough position as a younger player and you don't get the same freedoms as a winger, striker etc.

I really hope he does well. I'm very keen to see what Laird can do as well.

Bestofthebest

Every corner Garner has put in today has nearly resulted in a goal. His general play is also very tidy so far.

NicolaSacco

Supports
Ipswich
I'd not been that impressed the last couple of times i'd seen him for Forest but he's been exceptional today. If he can add physicality to his game whilst maintaining his technical level he'll be some player.

Mylock

Garner can make it at United; the critical thing with him will be if he gets his chance, he will have to show he believes that he can make it. He has all talents needed, and if he can break out of the safe mode that he has shown in the limited chances he has had to date, he could be one of the leaders we crave. He is outstanding defensive, a good passer, can read the game well, is a very good presser can score goals from outside of the box; he has also been Captain of most youth teams, which shows he is a leader.
My opinion is not based on a few games; it's based on watching him for the last three years.

Jonesno.8

I just don't see Garner as being quite that level to be a United regular...not if we have plans of progressing to our previous heights. I've not watched enough of him for that opinion to mean anything mind...just from what I have seen.

I think he's definitely got a career in the game. Whether that be similar to the likes of Ben Pearson and Joe Rothwell or at Premier League level like Michael Keane etc.

He's obviously got talent, he's tidy, he passed the ball well and he seems fairly well liked by Forest fans.

I'm happy to be wrong, as always in these situations. It's a fecking tough position as a younger player and you don't get the same freedoms as a winger, striker etc.

I really hope he does well. I'm very keen to see what Laird can do as well.
At 20 what do you think genuinely, do we keep him loaned Champs next season and maybe Prem year after but make sure he is in contract, in this does he represent money in the bank?? If he keeps progressing then suddenly he's worth something, do we cash in or hope he surpasses expectation and adds depth and quality to the first team. C. Midfield is the hardest position on the pitch in my opinion he has 4/5 years of learning ahead of him. Just hope we find a way to give him a chance, looks high Champs standard already but we've been here before.

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
At 20 what do you think genuinely, do we keep him loaned Champs next season and maybe Prem year after but make sure he is in contract, in this does he represent money in the bank?? If he keeps progressing then suddenly he's worth something, do we cash in or hope he surpasses expectation and adds depth and quality to the first team. C. Midfield is the hardest position on the pitch in my opinion he has 4/5 years of learning ahead of him. Just hope we find a way to give him a chance, looks high Champs standard already but we've been here before.
I'm guessing our hope would be that Notts Forest get promoted. They've hit form at the right time and are closing in on the play off spots. I think its would be a no brained to send him back there if they go up.

Wheato

I've got a mate who goes to Forest games. He tells me on a weekly basis that Garner has played another blinder. A solid eight out of ten in every game. Passing, energy, movement, vision, tackling, always being in the right place to receive the ball, he's great on set piece free kicks and corners. He can control games at twenty.

He's an upgrade on Fred already.

Gordon Godot

I've got a mate who goes to Forest games. He tells me on a weekly basis that Garner has played another blinder. A solid eight out of ten in every game. Passing, energy, movement, vision, tackling, always being in the right place to receive the ball, he's great on set piece free kicks and corners. He can control games at twenty.

I would actually like to see us try our young players, he definitely deserves a place in the squad next season. Matic has to go, the guy is already a statue. We should try and sign Rice (suspect hes already off to Chelsea), but add Garner to squad. If we get another established defensive midfielder then Fred should go.

Marwood

Heart says bring him back for next season but the head questions can a 21 year old play centre mid for United. Not impossible but it's a longshot.

Keane was 22 when we signed him and still a fair bit off from the player he'd become. Carrick was 25. Scholes was about 21 but not exactly a centre mid starting player.

One more season on loan maybe.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
PL loan next season, unless we are serious about giving him gave time, just look at Henderson

Adam-Utd

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Young players need to play. He's going to be learning WAY more at forest playing these type of matches, than sitting on our bench wondering when his next 5 minute cameo might come.

We need to take the same route with Mejbri, find him a loan with a good football side, not some shite like Alaves.

AneRu

I think posters suggesting another loan move are being too conservative, we have a Championship standard midfield starting games for us and I think if we sign a top DM there is nothing that stops us from playing someone on the level of Rice/Tchoumeni and Garner as a midfield two, provisionally against lower PL teams and as he grows more confident and established mid table teams. From the looks of things he has a balanced skill set that makes him a perfect candidate for a deeplying playmaker role or a box to box role.

Marwood

I think posters suggesting another loan move are being too conservative, we have a Championship standard midfield starting games for us and I think if we sign a top DM there is nothing that stops us from playing someone on the level of Rice/Tchoumeni and Garner as a midfield two, provisionally against lower PL teams and as he grows more confident and established mid table teams. From the looks of things he has a balanced skill set that makes him a perfect candidate for a deeplying playmaker role or a box to box role.
There is an opening there, even more so if we don't sign a CM in summer(unthinkable).

I'd loan him again but he definitely has that opening maybe Tuanzebe and Henderson didn't have upon returning from their loans.

youmeletsfly

People should look at 5-6 full games and then have an opinion about him.
I saw a few good highlights a while back and decided to watch his games. If you see his YT highlight reel, he's a young Scholes.
If you watch his actual games, you'll see some potential but nowhere near being a started for United, not even close.

I know most of you guys are sick and tired seeing MCT each game, but there's a long way for Garner to go. The good thing is, he has the basics, close control, receiving the ball in tight spaces, quick brain, sees the game ahead. 1 more year on loan and maybe, just maybe, we can ease him in, but 100% now it's too soon.

AneRu

There is an opening there, even more so if we don't sign a CM in summer(unthinkable).

I'd loan him again but he definitely has that opening maybe Tuanzebe and Henderson didn't have upon returning from their loans.
I think there is definitely room for a young starting CM in our squad particularly if we sign a DM at the top of his game like Rice, I expect Garner to be a more technical but less physical alternate to McTominay in games against teams looking to park the bus initially. I don't think there is a midfielder, beyong Tchouameni, who is on the crusp of reaching world class status and within our reach as a club to enable us to look down on Garner. It will be more effective for us to bed him in than to sign another average to decent CM who won't have all the fundamental aspects of his game in tact.

In the summer we need a DM, CM, ST and RB. Assuming we spend 100m on Rice, which we seem hell bent on doing, we won't have the funds to spend significantly on other positions but if we promote Garner to play alongside Rice and McTominay we could continue with Dalot and hopefully squeeze in a striker at 50m to 70m we will be in a better place after the summer.

jamesjimmybyrondean

People should look at 5-6 full games and then have an opinion about him.
I saw a few good highlights a while back and decided to watch his games. If you see his YT highlight reel, he's a young Scholes.
If you watch his actual games, you'll see some potential but nowhere near being a started for United, not even close.

I know most of you guys are sick and tired seeing MCT each game, but there's a long way for Garner to go. The good thing is, he has the basics, close control, receiving the ball in tight spaces, quick brain, sees the game ahead. 1 more year on loan and maybe, just maybe, we can ease him in, but 100% now it's too soon.
If he has all this then he is better than Fred or Mctominay :)

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
What position has he been playing and how has he been playing it? Is he a sitting midfielder or more dynamic?

AneRu

If he has all this then he is better than Fred or Mctominay :)
People want the ready-made thing but forget that most players who excelled in a deeper role for us were developed internally, even when we signed Carrick he was an 8, same with Keane and Paul Scholes was a forward. My point is that we have always had to grow our own archetypal midfielder who suits what we need for those deeper roles. Pogba was getting games at a Championship winning Juventus at around the same age and I think Garner should be able to get games for a top four chasing United - if the move pays off we'd have a starting or squad position sorted for years and at minimal cost.

BorisManUtd

Great to read that. Have such high hopes of Garner, hopefully he will fulfill his potential. Another loan to a PL club and he might be ready to start for United from 2023/24 season.

Abraxas

Saying he's better than Fred already is ridiculous. Not sure why that's been said a few times. No need to make such lavish claims that are based on little to no evidence.

Fred has had long periods of good play in the PL, he plays for his national team, he's a good top flight player. Garner is a promising player doing well in the Championship. Let's deal with facts not hyperbole.

micmac

Hope he turns out great for us. There is a lot of hype over him by United fans who watched the youth. Out of curiosity I went to a forest forum just to see what they think about him and some posters were saying he started the season slowly but grew into the role. They believe he needs another season in the Championship.

AussieDevil

If we can’t get him a premier league loan next season, then I wouldn’t be against sending him to Spain or Italy if there are any suitors.

ti vu

Hope he turns out great for us. There is a lot of hype over him by United fans who watched the youth. Out of curiosity I went to a forest forum just to see what they think about him and some posters were saying he started the season slowly but grew into the role. They believe he needs another season in the Championship.
Sounded like younger Carrick. Well known to be a slow starter despite being with us for for a season or two already.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
I have to say I thought pereira looked more impressive at the same age BUT I don’t think either are potentially real top class. Garner keeps surprising me though. Long May it continue. I will always say players of that age need to play a lot to develop. I think he needs to go out again to a PL team. He’s earned more support from the club to see how he handles the step up and take it from there.

Last edited:

mavradal

I have to say I thought pereira looked more impressive at the same age BUT I don’t think either are potentially real top class. Garner keeps surprising me though. Long May it continue. I will always say players of that age need to play a lot to develop. I think needs to go out again to a PL team. He’s earned more support from the club to see how he handles the step up.
Pereira was more impressive on offense, Garner is much better defensively which is a much needed role now in our first team.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
Garner should not be loaned again.
He should be part of the first team squad.
I haven't watched him but I agree.

There is a 2/3rd chance we have a manager that utelises youngsters next season in Ten Hag or Rangnick-

So if Garner is this potentially next Carrick then he should stay with the first team.

Bertie Wooster

PL loan next season, unless we are serious about giving him gave time, just look at Henderson
Yeah, I think that's the best options.

Another season in the championship would, most likely, give him the most game time again - but he needs to be tested at PL level next season.

If the (new) manager really sees enough in him that he's going to get serious opportunities - like McTominay or Rashford - then it would be good to see him face that test with us.

But if he stays and rarely plays, like Henderson or Tuanzebe, then he's better being tested in the PL in a loan spell elsewhere.

I'm expecting the latter, but next year's CM is obviously up in the air at the moment with likely outgoings (Pogba, VDB?) and guesswork on incomings or even who the manager will be.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Seems like a player one must watch and assess for themselves. The comments about him are wildly erratic from almost post to post, let alone page to page.

Mickson

Seems like a player one must watch and assess for themselves. The comments about him are wildly erratic from almost post to post, let alone page to page.
Not surprising, as he is very difficult to judge (as most CM's are IMO). He is a good player, clearly, but he must impose himself more in games. Also, when he has played for United he has been quite underwhelming and in our last pre-season, I would even say he was pretty bad. Although different players but Tom Cleverley is not a bad comparison.

Garner gets stuck in, he can pass, he can shoot, he works pretty hard and he reads the game well. It's all about how he develops in the next 1-2 seasons. Very difficult to predict but if I had to put my money on anything I would say he will be an Everton midfielder, but on the other hand he is more 'talented' than McTominay. Only time will tell...

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
Not surprising, as he is very difficult to judge (as most CM's are IMO). He is a good player, clearly, but he must impose himself more in games. Also, when he has played for United he has been quite underwhelming and in our last pre-season, I would even say he was pretty bad. Although different players but Tom Cleverley is not a bad comparison.

Garner gets stuck in, he can pass, he can shoot, he works pretty hard and he reads the game well. It's all about how he develops in the next 1-2 seasons. Very difficult to predict but if I had to put my money on anything I would say he will be an Everton midfielder, but on the other hand he is more 'talented' than McTominay. Only time will tell...
I can see where you're coming from. Haven't seen him play in a long time now, so no personal judgement or assessment to make, but it is fascinating to watch his thread veer so wildly as it does.

Would you say he reminds you of someone like David Jones when he was here? I know you cited Cleverly, but his forte was short passing and retentive play, to the point some said he had no ambition in his game; Garner's always struck me as more expansive and one who wants to dictate the play rather than just be a basic cog in it, is that not how he is now?

P-Nut

fan of well-known French footballer Fabinho
I can see where you're coming from. Haven't seen him play in a long time now, so no personal judgement or assessment to make, but it is fascinating to watch his thread veer so wildly as it does.

Would you say he reminds you of someone like David Jones when he was here? I know you cited Cleverly, but his forte was short passing and retentive play, to the point some said he had no ambition in his game; Garner's always struck me as more expansive and one who wants to dictate the play rather than just be a basic cog in it, is that not how he is now?
I've watched a bit of him and I think the varied views come from what people prefer in a player. Especially midfield players who vary so much in strengths and weaknesses.

At present I'd say Garner has got such a wide skillet that he sometimes excels in very different areas. Some games he plays as a box to box midfield having great long range efforts and being expansive with his passing, others he sits and is more of a defensive midfielder putting in tackles and interceptions and keeping things simple.

The potential is that he puts it all together eventually and he can be that 6 that has an expansive passing range, whilst still being solid defensively and dictating the game. I think that will come with time as he has got all the necessary skills to do it, but at the moment he's a bit middle of the road, a lot of the times too safe with his passing and not yet at a level to know when to speed up and slow down the game.

Fortitude

TV/Monitor Expert
Scout
I've watched a bit of him and I think the varied views come from what people prefer in a player. Especially midfield players who vary so much in strengths and weaknesses.

At present I'd say Garner has got such a wide skillet that he sometimes excels in very different areas. Some games he plays as a box to box midfield having great long range efforts and being expansive with his passing, others he sits and is more of a defensive midfielder putting in tackles and interceptions and keeping things simple.

The potential is that he puts it all together eventually and he can be that 6 that has an expansive passing range, whilst still being solid defensively and dictating the game. I think that will come with time as he has got all the necessary skills to do it, but at the moment he's a bit middle of the road, a lot of the times too safe with his passing and not yet at a level to know when to speed up and slow down the game.
Fingers crossed for him - that 'putting it all together' thing has been an anchor round his neck for quite some time as a I recall reading similar a couple of years back on here. By the sound of it, a loan in the PL is the next logical step, hopefully to a progressive team where he can iron out his flaws and perfect his craft before coming back here, or not, as the case may be.

mavradal

Wish I could like that, well put.