James Milner | Signed for Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wumminator

The Qatar Pounder
Interesting this. Especially with the new FFP sanctions. Angling for more money?

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/18/arsenal-james-milner-manchester-city

Arsenal want to sign James Milner from Manchester City after theEngland midfielder informed the newly crowned Premier Leaguechampions he wants a transfer. Liverpool are also interested butArsenal, the FA Cup winners, are leading the way as it stands.

Milner's decision creates a serious issue for City at a time when they are already struggling to meet the stipulations set by the Premier League and Uefa about meeting the homegrown player rule. If Milner left, Joe Hart could be the only Englishman left at the club with any chance of playing regularly next season.

City would be reluctant to lose Milner even without those regulations and hope the offer of a lucrative four-year contract will persuade him to change his mind. Yet the player informed them last month of his decision and is strongly tempted by the interest from Arsenal and Liverpool. If City refuse to entertain the idea, his preference is currently to stay until he is eligible for a free transfer next summer rather than committing to a new deal.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
That'd be beautiful. But he'll get offered big money to stay put. Would be funny if he turned it down for footballing reasons and did leave tho.

NinjaFletch

If Liverpool's big money signings are Lallana and Milner I'll be pretty happy.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
28 years... Could be still useful in other club.

Bigger outlet than in Real Madrid it seems.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
Is Stretford his agent? Maybe Magnus Carlson?

JSArsenal

James Milner of all people.............

Where would we play?

We need goal scoring forwards in our team now not more midfielders.

I am not saying he is a bad player, he just isn't what we need right now.

EDIT:

Article says we want him to take over from Flamini/Arteta.

I still don't believe it.

We rarely buy players from within the league.

We rarely buy players from rivals.

We rarely buy English players.

Can't see us breaking three of our transfer taboos in one transfer.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
He has probably realised that they need to keep him due to squad limits and the recent cut to the 21-man squad in Europe (has it been confirmed?) and will probably offer him a better deal if he threatens to leave.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
I'd be sad to see Milner go, he's vastly underrated. The kind of player you need in the squad to win the league.

He saw 31 games this year in the league mind you, and 13 in the cups, hardly a bit part role.

SolidState

You don't even know how ITK he is
I think he'd be a great alternate option for Podolski in the Arsenal set-up and would provide a good option to cover for Walcott for when his ankles inevitably give in. Couple of my arsenal mates say they wouldn't mind having him for his work rate alone. Best case scenario is a low fee for the gunners since his wages will be pretty high. Anyone know a rough figure?

Kostur

海尔的老板
James Milner of all people.............

Where would we play?

We need goal scoring forwards in our team now not more midfielders.
You're right, you guys need Ashley Young, we can provide you an Ashley Young. If you decide to collect that young lad from West Ham Stephen Haw-Downing then you'll make a fantastic ex-Villa Axis and you'll tear the league apart.

All three just for 70 mln quid, take it or leave it.

JSArsenal

Most likely scenario: Milner wants a new contract and with these FFP restrictions, 1 year left on his deal and homegrown quota rule he can dictate his terms so his team is leaking these stories to get him the best deal possible.

Although if we do sign him we could potentially field this line up

Back 5

Ramsey---Milner--

Walcott---Wilshere---Chamberlain

----------New Striker----

Five British players, 6 if Gibbs is playing

Last edited:

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
They're getting rid of Sinclair, Lescott and Richards as well.

Would Hart be the only English player left?

EDIT - I should have read the OP.
Barry and Rodwell could probably go too. Who even counts as homegrown in their squad now? Hart, Clichy, Guidetti...?

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
Barry and Rodwell could probably go too. Who even counts as homegrown in their squad now? Hart, Clichy, Guidetti...?
I do wonder, the club don't seem concerned, otherwise they'd just offer Lescott the contract he's been hinting at all season.

It will be an interesting summer from us. Maybe.

Browniee

Underrated? I think he's f ucking awful, I don't pay much attention to him when he's playing for City but for England he's terrible. He's should return to Villa, that's more his level

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Maybe he wants out now when some clubs still want him, before being embarrassed in WC.

NinjaFletch

Underrated? I think he's f ucking awful, I don't pay much attention to him when he's playing for City but for England he's terrible. He's should return to Villa, that's more his level
Yeah, he's hideously over-rated these days because of the phenomenon where people went too far criticising him to now there having been a backlash where some people try and act like he's actually good. Work horse, nothing else.

Browniee

Yeah, he's hideously over-rated these days because of the phenomenon where people went too far criticising him to now there having been a backlash where some people try and act like he's actually good. Work horse, nothing else.
Agree, can't fault his work rate, tracking back etc. he struck gold when City signed him, he looked decent at Villa and Newcastle but they were more his level.
Small fish die in big ponds

starman

The Aston Villa that finishes 16/17th or the one that finished 6th, three times in a row between 07-10? if its a team that finishes 6th, than yes, if not, he is better than a relegation level team.

I think he is underrated/misused, but his best position is CM, which he never plays.

Browniee

The Aston Villa that finishes 16/17th or the one that finished 6th, three times in a row between 07-10? if its a team that finishes 6th, than yes, if not, he is better than a relegation level team.

I think he is underrated/misused, but his best position is CM, which he never plays.
He does have decent pace and can whip a decent ball into the box, maybe that's why he's used there

FlawlessThaw

most 'know it all' poster
Doesn't really jump out as a typical Arsenal player. I presume he would be fitted in as a replacement for Arteta as I can't see where else he could play for them.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
I do wonder, the club don't seem concerned, otherwise they'd just offer Lescott the contract he's been hinting at all season.

It will be an interesting summer from us. Maybe.
You've already [apparently] agreed a deal for Fernando, which would take over £20m of the £49(?)m you've apparently got. You think any of the youth will be promoted? I know Lopes is pretty highly rated, maybe he'll get first team involvement?
To be fair, all of their English players are a bit shit. Hart and Milner are decent I guess.
I do agree. :lol: they just seemed to sign some really random ones in Sinclair and Rodwell.

Brightonian

Always the way of these things. The consensus swings wildly back and forward and rarely rests on anything like the truth for long.

Solid player, experienced, hard-working, on his day he has a wicked cross on him, but that's it. I'd be really surprised if Arsenal were in for him - not only is he obviously not a 'Wenger player', but he doesn't really fit in any of the positions that Arsenal need to strengthen. His defensive work is only actually good in wide positions, not as a DM.

Arruda

Love is in the air, everywhere I look around
Supports
Porto
What exactly is the punishment, if any, for not having enough homegrown players in your squad?
I think you can't even enter the competition. It's a requirement for participating, I don't think there's a "punishment" per se. You can always have enough, at worst you go to the youth set-up and get them. City's problem is whether they can have enough "good" homegrown players. They will be more dependent on them as they are limited to 21 overall, unlike other teams who are limited to 25. These can have a few of them just for appearances, no matter how shit they are.

I may be wrong, but that's my idea of it.

saivet

Milner is in the Valencia bracket of players. He probably has a little more variation in his game though. Average player however, if City are to sell it would be nice for Arsenal or Liverpool to buy him.

Edit: Just found out City signed him for £26m 4 years ago :lol: fecking hell

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
He is nothing but average, a typical Aston Villa level and typical average England player. However I have watched him a few times this season and despite being average, he is still way better than the other average Aston Villa level player Young. For that reason alone I shouldn't say too many negative things about Milner!

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
He's better than Uniteds current crop of CMs, though that's hardly praise these days - he's certainly not awful. You'd probably find most City fans would like him to stay, which tells you all you need to know about his time at City. I'd sooner keep him for another year than sell him, but if the right offer comes in then it would be good business for both sides.

Edit: and most of your wingers.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
Not a bad player at all. Not anything special with the ball at his foot, but he gets the basics right consistently enough.
Like Barry. He's capable of more than he showed at City too, I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.