James Milner | Signed for Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

NinjaFletch

He's better than Uniteds current crop of CMs, though that's hardly praise these days - he's certainly not awful. You'd probably find most City fans would like him to stay, which tells you all you need to know about his time at City. I'd sooner keep him for another year than sell him, but if the right offer comes in then it would be good business for both sides.

Edit: and most of your wingers.
So is Javi Garcia. Doesn't mean he's a good player.

saivet

He's better than Uniteds current crop of CMs, though that's hardly praise these days - he's certainly not awful. You'd probably find most City fans would like him to stay, which tells you all you need to know about his time at City. I'd sooner keep him for another year than sell him, but if the right offer comes in then it would be good business for both sides.

Edit: and most of your wingers.
When was the last time he even played CM? Anyway, that doesn't mean he's a good player. Hypothetically, if we were to sign Milner, he'd only add to the problems of having too many average players in our squad.

Kag

So is Javi Garcia. Doesn't mean he's a good player.
The funny thing is, he actually isn't. Garcia is woeful.

Milner is actually quite underrated, and has been a good servant for City. He's a good asset at any Premier League for the right price. And no, I don't want him anywhere near Old Trafford. We've bigger fish to fry.

Barney

"We're going to smash them (Crystal Palace)"
Supports
Liverpool
For Milner at his best you just have to watch the game where we beat them 3-2. He was absolutely fantastic. He came on and completely changed the game with the help of Silva.

WR

Frankie Barwell ITK
Why would he want to leave? I don't think he's going to get much more game time at Arsenal/Liverpool, he certainly won't be a regular stater for either. I think Pellegrini has used him well at City, he's good as fresh legs coming on as a sub and a good runner off the ball. He doesn't possess the ability to be a regular stater for a title challenging side.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
When was the last time he even played CM? Anyway, that doesn't mean he's a good player. Hypothetically, if we were to sign Milner, he'd only add to the problems of having too many average players in our squad.
I agree he isn't the kind of player you'd want to pin your hopes on as the main man, but he'd be a good solid signing for Arsenal (and any squad). The views on here only back up my belief that he's underrated by most - he gets about, puts in a good cross and tackle, and is handy with the ball at his feet (he does everything well, but nothing exceptionally). Like I said, I wouldn't be thrilled to see him leave.

Nick 0208 Ldn

News 24
If he genuinely wishes to leave City i'd like to hope that would consider a foreign adventure of sorts, similar to Joe Cole when went to Lille. Of the current England squad i reckon that Milner could be one of a very few who would really try to make it work and buy into the local culture [comes across as the type to anyway].

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
For Milner at his best you just have to watch the game where we beat them 3-2. He was absolutely fantastic. He came on and completely changed the game with the help of Silva.
Very true, and Bayern away - probably one of the best individual performances City had this season (all coming after Silva v Hull). He consistently links up well with Silva, which tells you he's making the right runs.

Glanville95

He is a useful player, if not spectacular. At the same time however, I find these links with Liverpool and in particular Arsenal a bit bizarre. Both teams easily comply with the homegrown quota, so the signing of Milner wouldn't necessitate much of an outlay. For the last few years, Milner has been used predominantly as a defensive winger and it's doubtful that is something that Rodgers would adhere to in his attacking set-up and likewise in Wenger's possession-based set-up. It's hard to imagine he would start as a central midfielder for Liverpool when Henderson offers what he can and then some and he isn't the style of central/defensive midfielder that Arsenal need.

I've found it absurd for a while now, that City haven't been scrutinized for not fufilling the English quota, presumably with all the attention focused on complying with revenue regulations. Still, it's strange that City are seemingly going to neglect meeting the homegrown quota - of their own accord - despite English players coming at a premium.

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
I'd be surprised he really wants to leave whatever ridiculous wage he's on and guaranteed trophies to move to a normal type of club - it's not like he needs to play for his England place, at least whilst Hodgson is the manager.

If he's moving for more game time then credit to him for not hanging-on for every last penny like others have, both at City and Chelsea.

Hal9000

I'd be surprised he really wants to leave whatever ridiculous wage he's on and guaranteed trophies to move to a normal type of club - it's not like he needs to play for his England place, at least whilst Hodgson is the manager.

If he's moving for more game time then credit to him for not hanging-on for every last penny like others have, both at City and Chelsea.
Tbf, he's been in and around the England squad long before Hodgson. Was #1 right winger under Capello...

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
He is angling for more money.

City will line up a decent money transfer for someone else and offer him a loan move to mid table club on the last day of the transfer window as an option against being benched for the rest if the year.

JmRssll555

I actually think there's more to this story than Milner pursuing a pay-rise, basically because thats's unlikely to happen. Whilst he has a strong bargaining position due to the penalties imposed under FFP regulations, one part of that penalty dictates that City cannot increase their wage expenditure next year. Assuming that they'll probably sign a new player or two, I seriously can't see them offering hefty new contracts to existing squad players.

Of course, there is the possibility that any increased wage expenditure could be balanced by the sale of one or two high earners, but who would they want to sell? These FFP penalties may have a pretty significant impact on City, far greater than any of us expected at first.

Hal9000

How is he still only 28? I swear he's been around forever.
Been around since he was 16, his debut was a few months after Rooney's. Think he became youngest PL goalscorer only a few days after Rooney's goal.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Reminds me a bit of Wayne Bridge, hanging around a top club playing a tiny handful of games every year, after once being very highly rated.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
Reminds me a bit of Wayne Bridge, hanging around a top club playing a tiny handful of games every year, after once being very highly rated.
In order he has played 32, 26, 26, 31 games just in the league since he joined.

Globule

signature/tagline creator extraordinaire
In order he has played 32, 26, 26, 31 games just in the league since he joined.
How many of those are starts?

Fergie's handling of Tevez in his last sprung to mind. Tevez was clearly unhappy at not being a starter, particularly in some big matche, so Fergie points to the number of games he's played as some kind of defence.

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Milner is in the Valencia bracket of players. He probably has a little more variation in his game though. Average player however, if City are to sell it would be nice for Arsenal or Liverpool to buy him.

Edit: Just found out City signed him for £26m 4 years ago :lol: fecking hell
I think that he won young player of the year that year?
I would gladly laugh at this if we haven't signed our own scapegoat for a dumping price of 27 m

saivet

I think that he won young player of the year that year?
I would gladly laugh at this if we haven't signed our own scapegoat for a dumping price of 27 m
I think so but IIRC he was 24 at the time so a little overstated.

You're right, but even I laugh at that now.

devil in me

Milner is a good player and very underrated IMO. He's a centre midfielder who will be a good signing for somebody if played there consistently.

red_devil83

Over what we have at present or, what we'd like to have after August?
At present. If we ended up with him and another more creative player it would be alright I think. Apart from the fact that we'd be taking a City cast off of course.

AltiUn

likes playing with swords after fantasies
Interesting this. Especially with the new FFP sanctions. Angling for more money?

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/may/18/arsenal-james-milner-manchester-city

Arsenal want to sign James Milner from Manchester City after theEngland midfielder informed the newly crowned Premier Leaguechampions he wants a transfer. Liverpool are also interested butArsenal, the FA Cup winners, are leading the way as it stands.

Milner's decision creates a serious issue for City at a time when they are already struggling to meet the stipulations set by the Premier League and Uefa about meeting the homegrown player rule. If Milner left, Joe Hart could be the only Englishman left at the club with any chance of playing regularly next season.

City would be reluctant to lose Milner even without those regulations and hope the offer of a lucrative four-year contract will persuade him to change his mind. Yet the player informed them last month of his decision and is strongly tempted by the interest from Arsenal and Liverpool. If City refuse to entertain the idea, his preference is currently to stay until he is eligible for a free transfer next summer rather than committing to a new deal.
What are Liverpool actually playing at?

mic.m

likes to be nude when popping out baked brownies
I wouldn't mind Milner as one of the replacements for Cleverly, Fellaini, Anderson, Fletcher. Currently he offers more than all of them and can play in different number of positions.

SambaBoy

He's a quality CM and always has been. When he played there for Villa, he was one of the best players around. Great stamina, box to box, decent technique, decent passing and has good awareness. Also he is strong and is good in front of goal.

The problem is when he is shunted out to the wing where he looks an average player just to a lack of blistering pace or ability to beat a man. In the centre, this isn't as much of an issue and he looks more at home. City bought him for such a big fee due to his performances at CM but yet used him on the wing.

If he were to leave and join a club, and play CM, we would see why he was bought for that amount again. He would definitely be good enough for us in there but it's not going to happen, we don't want a city reject.

NinjaFletch

He's a quality CM and always has been. When he played there for Villa, he was one of the best players around. Great stamina, box to box, decent technique, decent passing and has good awareness. Also he is strong and is good in front of goal.

The problem is when he is shunted out to the wing where he looks an average player just to a lack of blistering pace or ability to beat a man. In the centre, this isn't as much of an issue and he looks more at home. City bought him for such a big fee due to his performances at CM but yet used him on the wing.

If he were to leave and join a club, and play CM, we would see why he was bought for that amount again. He would definitely be good enough for us in there but it's not going to happen, we don't want a city reject.
No, he's not. Hence why City play him on the wing rather than centrally. He's serviceable and pretty astute defensively, but he's a worse midfielder than Barry, and they're actively trying to shift him.

Varun

Staff
Very good squad player and one City must do their best to keep specially given his nationality. He's definitely be a good option to have but we already have too many squad players at both CM and out wide.

MarcRed96

He'd be a good squad player, but then we said that about Ashley Young didn't we.

Milner is a good footballer, a real grafter and a reliable team player, but I would be disappointed if we went for him as we need real quality in midfield, not another squad player.

I don't reckon he'll leave anyway. He'll be angling for an improved contract, in the knowledge that City can't really afford to lose many homegrown players given the ban they've just received from UEFA.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
If hadnt already of played for them, he'd be a nailed on Newcastle signing.

Status
Not open for further replies.