James Milner | Signed for Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

JustAFan

The Adebayo Akinfenwa of football photoshoppers
An evil little city in the NE United States
He only has 1 year left on his contract. He won't go on loan as City need British players.
Well selling him doesn't help with that last part either does it?

If they get much for him given his contract status it will be a surprise. he wants out. last year of his contract. Any club who wants him ought to be bidding very low on the transfer fee.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
I actually think there's more to this story than Milner pursuing a pay-rise, basically because thats's unlikely to happen. Whilst he has a strong bargaining position due to the penalties imposed under FFP regulations, one part of that penalty dictates that City cannot increase their wage expenditure next year. Assuming that they'll probably sign a new player or two, I seriously can't see them offering hefty new contracts to existing squad players.

Of course, there is the possibility that any increased wage expenditure could be balanced by the sale of one or two high earners, but who would they want to sell? These FFP penalties may have a pretty significant impact on City, far greater than any of us expected at first.
The wage restriction is pretty irrelevant. Only counts a set salary. We can just offer the players less standard wage and provide them with bonuses elsewhere.

Brophs

The One and Only
Arsenal manager Arsène Wenger is considering James Milner as a surprise replacement right-back for Bacary Sagna.

Wenger is interested in signing Milner from Manchester City this summer and is believed to be drawn to the idea of converting the midfielder into a right-back.

Sagna is set to join City on a free transfer after agreeing terms on a £150,000-a-week contract with the Etihad club.

One of Wenger's priorities will now be to find a replacement for Sagna and 28-year-old Milner is one of the options being spoken about at the Emirates.

Milner has filled in as an emergency right-back during his career, but has not played in the position for any length of time.

Wenger has a track record of converting wingers into full-backs and believes £10million-rated Milner could offer a similar attacking threat and work-rate to Sagna.

Milner is unhappy at City because of a lack of first-team opportunities, but he would not be guaranteed a starting place in Arsenal's midfield.

Wenger already struggles to accommodate all his midfielders and wingers into his side and is hoping to add a dominating presence into the centre of the park.

But Milner may be offered the chance to make Sagna's place his own at the Emirates and will have to decide whether he wants to change position, having previously been lukewarm on the idea at City.

Other than Milner, Wenger and Arsenal have also been watching out-and-out right-backs Serge Aurier, who plays for Toulouse, and Southampton's Calum Chambers.

Both 21-year-old Aurier and 19-year-old Chambers are relatively inexperienced, which opens up the possibility of Wenger moving for one of those players and still attempting to sign Milner to take over from Sagna in the short term.

Carl Jenkinson has been Sagna's understudy, but may be allowed to leave Arsenal on loan to get regular first-team experience.

Sagna is set to officially join City on July 1 and Milner's future will not be cleared up until after his participation in the World Cup with England.

Milner has one year remaining on his City contract and the Premier League champions would rather extend his deal than sell him.
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/fo...s-Milner-as-replacement-for-Bacary-Sagna.html

I know it's bollocks and I know it'll never happen, but imagine it did.

Hernandez - BFA

The Way to Fly
I actually rate Milner. Think he could do a job at most clubs. Versatile and has a good engine.

Buchan

has whacked the hammer to Roswell
I rate Milner, too. Can't believe he hasn't been utilised more in a three-man midfield. He's a little unlucky Pellegrini prefers a 4-2-2-2 formation with pacy wingers, and he's not going to shift Fernandinho nor Navas.

He's not a bad right-winger (his performance at Anfield back in April attests to this) but I think he can be more effective centrally alá his role at Villa under O'Neill.

Bwuk

He's better than all our midfielders bar Carrick. I'd happily have him as part of our squad.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
hes an Everton player waiting to happen
We seem to be CM shopping in Manchester. Rodwell, Milner, Barry and Cleverley have all been linked with us. Won't be a surprise if at least one joins, and i'd prefer Milner for his adaptability, but also being the best in CM (Apart from Barry but he's on his last legs).

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
What? Why would he turn him into a RB? That would be waste of his talent.

Brightonian

He's better than all our midfielders bar Carrick. I'd happily have him as part of our squad.
Fletcher and Carrick are both much better central midfielders. And being superior to Cleverley and Fellaini isn't much of an accolade at the moment.

To be honest the only role I've ever thought he's much good in is the sort of defensively responsible wide role he often gets at City and used to for England a lot under Capello. His brain and ball control aren't good enough in central positions. A wide role gives him a bit more space, allows him to use his impressive engine bombing up and down the flank, and takes advantage of his ability to whip in a good ball.

Interesting idea that Wenger might consider making him a RB. I can see him being turned into a pretty decent full-back, but doesn't he play on the left wing?

hebegebe

Fletcher and Carrick are both much better central midfielders. And being superior to Cleverley and Fellaini isn't much of an accolade at the moment.

To be honest the only role I've ever thought he's much good in is the sort of defensively responsible wide role he often gets at City and used to for England a lot under Capello. His brain and ball control aren't good enough in central positions. A wide role gives him a bit more space, allows him to use his impressive engine bombing up and down the flank, and takes advantage of his ability to whip in a good ball.

Interesting idea that Wenger might consider making him a RB. I can see him being turned into a pretty decent full-back, but doesn't he play on the left wing?
Wasn't he voted PFA young player of the year whilst playing in central midfield for Villa?

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
He plays on the right for City.

He was PFA young player of the year, yes. As were Jermaine Jenas, Ashley Young and Kyle Walker. Are they good enough for City?
You can really argue that Milner isn't good enough for City, when he's featured heavily in both of our title winning seasons.

We did overpay for him, but that's a different discussion.

Brightonian

He plays on the right for City.
Ah ok good. That didn't make much sense. Out of interest, is he left or right footed?

You can really argue that Milner isn't good enough for City, when he's featured heavily in both of our title winning seasons.
I'm not arguing that, just that he's not good enough as a central midfielder, which was what the post I responded to was saying. I think he's decent as a sort of reliable utility winger, which is how City have used him.

Manchester Dan

Supports
Man City
Ah ok good. That didn't make much sense. Out of interest, is he left or right footed?

I'm not arguing that, just that he's not good enough as a central midfielder, which was what the post I responded to was saying. I think he's decent as a sort of reliable utility winger, which is how City have used him.
Fair enough. He is predominantly right footed, but seems relatively handy with both when he plays.

hebegebe

He was PFA young player of the year, yes. As were Jermaine Jenas, Ashley Young and Kyle Walker. Are they good enough for City?
What's being good enough for City got to do with it? He won PFA player of the year while playing in midfield. So, yes I would say he can play in midfield.

Buchan

Not to be a told-you-so, but I posted this a few months back:

I rate Milner, too. Can't believe he hasn't been utilised more in a three-man midfield. He's a little unlucky Pellegrini prefers a 4-2-2-2 formation with pacy wingers, and he's not going to shift Fernandinho nor Navas.

He's not a bad right-winger (his performance at Anfield back in April attests to this) but I think he can be more effective centrally alá his role at Villa under O'Neill.

I think he's done brilliantly since he went to central midfield at half-time today. Very underrated and I think Pellegrini should employ him there more often. Fernandinho is underwhelming, for me.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes

I think he's done brilliantly since he went to central midfield at half-time today. Very underrated and I think Pellegrini should employ him there more often. Fernandinho is underwhelming, for me.
Based on one game?

Maroo

I thought Fernandinho was good.. Kept breaking up the play with his niggling fouls

Buchan

Fernandinho has not been underwhelming over the span of his tenure at City.
According to you.

I feel he has been and isn't a brilliant central midfielder. However, I feel Pellegrini's 4-2-2-2 formation isn't helping him as he often finds himself exposed and having to make those now-customary snide fouls. Stick three in midfield and City would look a lot stronger in my opinion. They've been overrun a few times already this season and we're only a handful of games in.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
According to you.

I feel he has been and isn't a brilliant central midfielder. However, I feel Pellegrini's 4-2-2-2 formation isn't helping him as he often finds himself exposed and having to make those now-customary snide fouls. Stick three in midfield and City would look a lot stronger in my opinion. They've been overrun a few times already this season and we're only a handful of games in.
Touche

The problem then becomes, who do you push out wide in the front? Silva and... It would make them a much more solid team in Europe, but it could blunt their effectiveness up front.

Devil may care

His best season at Aston Villa was as a CM and I thought he was fine there for England the other night and good when he was moved there for City today. He breaks up play well, keeps it simple and will be disciplined.

Randall Flagg

Worst of the best
Very underrated by most. I reckon city fans love him though. We have had plenty of similar players over the years who have done well too.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
His best season at Aston Villa was as a CM and I thought he was fine there for England the other night and good when he was moved there for City today. He breaks up play well, keeps it simple and will be disciplined.
He was good for Villa. Now he's an occasional wing spoiler, and the most depressing player to have to watch in the England squad of recent times.

NinjaFletch

Touche

The problem then becomes, who do you push out wide in the front? Silva and... It would make them a much more solid team in Europe, but it could blunt their effectiveness up front.
Nasri vs Navas is very much a painless swap to make. Still not sure Nasri actually offers them enough to justify how much game time he gets.

Crackers

greasy ginfers

When did your username change?

Trizy

Very underrated by most. I reckon city fans love him though. We have had plenty of similar players over the years who have done well too.
I didn't rate him until I seen him live, very good player to be fair.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
He's a solid workhorse and am sure any team in the prem would have him as a squad player at least. Took a while to win me over, but he has incredible stamina, just unspectacular, which is probably why his work rate is not noticed or appreciated by many oppo fans. Dunno about the latest rumours, but til now he seems to have been a more or less model pro too.

Devil may care

He was good for Villa. Now he's an occasional wing spoiler, and the most depressing player to have to watch in the England squad of recent times.
I agree, the sight of him on the touchline is soul destroying, the epitome of the defensive winger. I think both England and City could get more from him in midfield, England in particular given how poor the midfield is.

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
The only compliment I can give Milner is that I would take him with open arms if the decision was between him and the useless and brainless nothing player aka his former team mate who sadly plays for us.

m1y2

He's a solid workhorse and am sure any team in the prem would have him as a squad player at least. Took a while to win me over, but he has incredible stamina, just unspectacular, which is probably why his work rate is not noticed or appreciated by many oppo fans. Dunno about the latest rumours, but til now he seems to have been a more or less model pro too.
Yeah I think he could turn out to be another Gareth Barry. It wouldn't actually surprised me if he ran out his contract and signed for Toffies, if Martinez is still their manager..

Status
Not open for further replies.