James Milner | Signed for Liverpool

Status
Not open for further replies.

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
The only compliment I can give Milner is that I would take him with open arms if the decision was between him and the useless and brainless nothing player aka his former team mate who sadly plays for us.
in England NT?

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
Yeah I think he could turn out to be another Gareth Barry. It wouldn't actually surprised me if he ran out his contract and signed for Toffies, if Martinez is still their manager..
Maybe that's his level, which isn't really an insult. Barry did a great job there, as is Howard. He is always going to be a 'water carrier' in a team with the talent of Aguero, Silva, Toure etc...

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
Clearly being held on to until his contract is up to fulfill the english quota, Rodwell admitted City kept him for 2 extra years because of it

Paolo Di Canio

"we have to realise it's a doggy dog market"
Yeah City will sign home grown players with no intention of using them. Can't say any of htem were not warned at the time though.
Didnt they keep Michael Johnson on there books till recently even though he hadnt played untill 2005 or something, Richard Wright aswell is 36 and is being paid to train

thejtrain

He was very good today. For a brainless player, he's doing great, isn't he? Never thought I'd say that myself. Makes me wonder if he really wanted out, because he's a good fit for this City side.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Their best overall player of the season so far for me (apart from Aguero obviously)

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
He's one of those 'brainless players' who actually isn't brainless.
He's intelligent enough. That was clear at Aston Villa, and he gets involved in the build up play more than enough for City.

The fact that he looks extremely limited, indecisive and bland for England isn't unique to him.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
He's one of those 'brainless players' who actually isn't brainless.
He's intelligent enough. That was clear at Aston Villa, and he gets involved in the build up play more than enough for City.

The fact that he looks extremely limited, indecisive and bland for England isn't unique to him.
Indeed, very good CM for Villa. His talent is really underrated for me.

El Zoido

He's an unglamorous reliable player that will do the job asked of him, you can place trust in him to perform consistently. I've felt he was underrated for some time, I seem to remember him being the best player on the pitch in the 6-1 at OT and not getting credit where due.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
How many English players are playing for world class teams at the moment?

Hart
Milner
Cahill
Terry

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Is this a Wum?
Not really. By World Class, I mean "performing to the highest standard associated with a team trying to win major competitions".

I thought it was an interesting question. Not many English players in the top European teams. Not many English players in City or Chelsea.

United, Liverpool and Arsenal have a few yes, but I'm not expecting us three to put much of a challenge in for European or Domestic honours this season.

Bwuk

I'd take Milner in a heart beat. Can play anywhere across the midfield, and could cover either full back.

Hugely under-rated player.

Ekeke

He's made a big improvement so far this season.

I still wouldnt want him in my team. And there's no way he'd get into our current midfield now its not awful

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
Granted he's been very good for City this season - but I'd put it down to a purple patch more than anything. It's still James fricken Milner...

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
He's made a big improvement so far this season.

I still wouldnt want him in my team. And there's no way he'd get into our current midfield now its not awful
Don't you play Blind in centre mid? He'd take his place easily.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Granted he's been very good for City this season - but I'd put it down to a purple patch more than anything. It's still James fricken Milner...
It's also the first time he's been given a run of games. Conveniently, that is when people start to rate him. He's ridiculously underrated.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Hes been good for City tbh, not just this season. He is a massively underrated player.

Annihilate Now!

...or later, I'm not fussy
Scout
I don't get what you mean by this.
It means it's James Milner - a limited footballer, capable of putting in a shift, doing a few things well, but not being brilliant at any one thing.

Yeah he looks good at the moment - and granted he's been given a run of games - but he's also looked bang average for both City and England on countless more occassions.

Sir A1ex

Don't you play Blind in centre mid? He'd take his place easily.
Not seen enough of Blind to judge yet, but my suspicion is that he'll end up proving to be of a very similar level to Milner. Never going to be a world beater, and will probbaly have his share of detractors, but will prove to be a very useful and versatile midfielder.

I'd also add that while both are versatile, their best (or most useful) positions are quite different. Given that Blind's value to us is playing as the most defensive of our central midfield, I'm not at all sure I'd swap Milner in for that position. But neither would I put Blind into the City team to take Milner's wider position.

Speak

Step up to my misogyny soapbox
It means it's James Milner - a limited footballer, capable of putting in a shift, doing a few things well, but not being brilliant at any one thing.

Yeah he looks good at the moment - and granted he's been given a run of games - but he's also looked bang average for both City and England on countless more occassions.
I think he was a very well-rounded footballer at Aston Villa.
He joined City, and he's almost been a victim of his ability to work hard off the ball. He's moved about and used as a water carrier, when he's capable of more. A bit like Willian - he's now just a player who 'puts in a shift'.

His good games go unnoticed too. For example the 6-1 against us, he was very good. Yet he wont/doesn't get any praise.
He doesn't stand out like Toure or Silva, and never will, as he's obviously inferior to them. But he's a good player, more intelligent, and better with the ball than he's given credit for, in my opinion.

What he does for England doesn't really matter for me. Barely anyone looks good for England. The game's usually played in completely straight lines for England.

Zoo

Blind and Milner are different players. England played Milner as a holding midfielder last week and he was pretty crap there.

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
Blind has been good so far.
Milner won PFA Young player of the year playing there for Villa and played his best football there. Blind hasn't got the ability to be as good as Milner in midfield. Sure, as a CB he can become a very good defender but he is a limited midfielder.

KM

I’m afraid I just blue myself
Milner won PFA Young player of the year playing there for Villa and played his best football there. Blind hasn't got the ability to be as good as Milner in midfield. Sure, as a CB he can become a very good defender but he is a limited midfielder.
How many times have you seen Blind?

He won the Eredvisie player of the year playing as a defensive midfielder for Ajax lasts season. He is a defensive midfielder first and foremost. To say he's better as a CB is just bizarre.

arthurka

Blind and Milner are different players. England played Milner as a holding midfielder last week and he was pretty crap there.
To be fair most players who pull on the England jersey turn crap in a heartbeat...

BobbyManc

Supports
Man City
How many times have you seen Blind?

He won the Eredvisie player of the year playing as a defensive midfielder for Ajax lasts season. He is a defensive midfielder first and foremost. To say he's better as a CB is just bizarre.
Apologies, I meant as a left back. And I've seen his games for United and he has impressed me but he is a limited midfielder. I don't think Milner would have a problem taking his place in the side.

Catt

Ole's at the wheel!
Blind has played his best football in CM. Have you seen him play there?

Status
Not open for further replies.