• No

Votes: 565 48.4%
  • I hate Silly Season

Votes: 198 17.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Utd7

Wouldn't mind signing him if he plays on the right in a 4-3-3. I'm not in favor of any formation that limits Pogba.

el3mel

Wouldn't mind signing him if he plays on the right in a 4-3-3. I'm not in favor of any formation that limits Pogba.
If you're signing him to play him on the right wing then we better save our money because Real tried this and failed.

He's a number 10 and nothing else. Pogba will have to learn how to play in 2 midfield players sooner better than later.

R'hllor

We have Fellaini, Lingard and Rashford in our front six right now; why you want a world class player to turn us down is baffling.
Well because i dont want us to play with number 10,nor i want a player who if its up to him,he wouldnt be at United,he can be world class as much you want.

Give us your replacement for players we can add to attack better than James.
I cant give you replacement for number 10 because i want us to play proper 4-3-3 with point back where Pogba could be further up and not with number 10 bullshit.

Dave46

that seems way too much. That's basically over 50 Million pounds each for James and Morata. they are good players but not that fecking good.
Well, Morata would cost around 70. James 50-60?

Utd7

We've played a 4-2-3-1 in the majority of our league matches this season; it wouldn't be a new development at all.
If you're signing him to play him on the right wing then we better save our money because Real tried this and failed.

He's a number 10 and nothing else. Pogba will have to learn how to play in 2 midfield players sooner better than later.
Then we shouldn't sign him. I do agree he's a number 10 naturally.

But I firmly believe in order to get the best out of Pogba so he can justify or perhaps exceed his price tag, it's best to play him in a three man midfield with Herrera and hopefully Fabinho.

el3mel

Then we shouldn't sign him. I do agree he's a number 10 naturally.

But I firmly believe in order to get the best out of Pogba so he can justify or perhaps exceed his price tag, it's best to play him in a three man midfield with Herrera and hopefully Fabinho.
I cant give you replacement for number 10 because i want us to play proper 4-3-3 with point back where Pogba could be further up and not with number 10 bullshit.
If Pogba wants to be a complete midfielder, he'll need to learn how to play in 2 man midfield. He can't be restricted all his career to a left midfielder in 4-3-3 formation. That will restrict the manager in his choices. Jose wants Pogba to turn into an all round CM not just a left midfielder. We can't miss a great player as James for us to play 4-3-3.

With a proper DMF behind them, Pogba and James can be a great creative combo upfront. Pogba's tactical discipline and tracking back abilities have developed a lot through the season and I believe he's ready to play in a 2 man midfield against midtable teams.

Against big teams Jose always adds another midfielder anyway.

cheeky_backheel

For me our problem last season and the season before is we are not scoring enough goals. Zlatan got 28 goals but the others aren't pitching in enough. Ideally we need our #10 and two wingers to be pitching in with between 10 and 15 league goals a season at a minimum. If he can do this then I think he'll be a good signing.

On a side note, does anyone think Jose may be looking to move Mata on if we sign do James?
Just a thought
unless there are financial constraints I doubt we will sell any attackers this summer

Rake

He is still 25 and given regular football he could hit his previous form, but i can't see why we didn't go for B. Silva when we want that type of player.

Not to mention, paying 70 million for a player who barely started 13 games in La Liga last season seems a bit much. If we want him, i hope we pay a lesser fee with high performance bonuses.

Bosws87

People are looking at £60million for VVD and people are getting upset at james for more or less the same price i know which one i'd rather have.

Class player if given the opportunity to play week in week out we are crying out for a goal scoring midfielder.

gormless

He is still 25 and given regular football he could hit his previous form, but i can't see why we didn't go for B. Silva when we want that type of player.

Not to mention, paying 70 million for a player who barely started 13 games in La Liga last season seems a bit much. If we want him, i hope we pay a lesser fee with high performance bonuses.
I'll be honest, I haven't seen as much of him as I have other Madrid players. But when you say, previous form, I was always under the impression he's a good player but purchased off the back of his World Cup performances which he hadn't replicated before or since. Is this correct?

wolvored

Perhaps silva didnt want to come. I cant believe we didnt put the feelers out

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan
I'll be honest, I haven't seen as much of him as I have other Madrid players. But when you say, previous form, I was always under the impression he's a good player but purchased off the back of his World Cup performances which he hadn't replicated before or since. Is this correct?
Real fans still seem to rate him as a player.

Lawman

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
If Pogba wants to be a complete midfielder, he'll need to learn how to play in 2 man midfield. He can't be restricted all his career to a left midfielder in 4-3-3 formation. That will restrict the manager in his choices. Jose wants Pogba to turn into an all round CM not just a left midfielder. We can't miss a great player as James for us to play 4-3-3.

With a proper DMF behind them, Pogba and James can be a great creative combo upfront. Pogba's tactical discipline and tracking back abilities have developed a lot through the season and I believe he's ready to play in a 2 man midfield against midtable teams.

Against big teams Jose always adds another midfielder anyway.
Sometimes you have to accommodate great players to get the best out of them. Madrid never did this with Kaka and we didn't with Veron (I'm not saying either club was wrong to do so as both very successful regardless). But to get the best like Madrid did with Zidane sometimes a shift in tactics is needed a little sacrifice here and there. For Pogba to be great we need to more accommodate him a bit more and not just buy a £90m player and try unsuccessfully to change him. If we have to go to a 3 man midfield then so be it. Pogba is a wonderful player and we should do all we can to enhance this.

R'hllor

We already play with a ten in the majority of games is the first thing. Secondly, most of our squad would probably rather be at Real, so what does it matter?
There is difference between being in RM and then not to be vs not being in RM but have desire to play for them.

el3mel

Sometimes you have to accommodate great players to get the best out of them. Madrid never did this with Kaka and we didn't with Veron (I'm not saying either club was wrong to do so as both very successful regardless). But to get the best like Madrid did with Zidane sometimes a shift in tactics is needed a little sacrifice here and there. For Pogba to be great we need to more accommodate him a bit more and not just buy a £90m player and try unsuccessfully to change him. If we have to go to a 3 man midfield then so be it. Pogba is a wonderful player and we should do all we can to enhance this.
That's not called " changing him ". That's called " improving him to be better and more complete ". Pogba is still young and didn't reach his peak yet. There's still plenty to improve about him.

He's not disastrous at all imo in a 2 man midfield also. His only problem there was his absence of tactical discipline and doing the defensive duty which has improved a lot by the end of the season that he's capable now to play with one strong DMF partner in the midfield. Against big teams we'll sure need to add another midfielder to cover more ground but what's the problem in playing him in 2 man midfield against a mid table club who's parking the bus all the game ?

Lawman

That's not called " changing him ". That's called " improving him to be better and more complete ". Pogba is still young and didn't reach his peak yet. There's still plenty to improve about him.

He's not disastrous at all imo in a 2 man midfield also. His only problem there was his absence of tactical discipline and doing the defensive duty which has improved a lot by the end of the season that he's capable now to play with one strong DMF partner in the midfield. Against big teams we'll sure need to add another midfielder to cover more ground but what's the problem in playing him in 2 man midfield against a mid table club who's parking the bus all the game ?
I don't have a problem with doing this in certain games but if he excels in a 3 then play him in a 3. But I'm all for trying him in a 2 but to date a 3 has proved much more successful for him.

el3mel

I don't have a problem with doing this in certain games but if he excels in a 3 then play him in a 3. But I'm all for trying him in a 2 but to date a 3 has proved much more successful for him.
We'll play both 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 next season IMO according the opponent, but against small teams, I prefer to add more attacking options as number 10 provide more attacking threat, unless, of course we bought another very strong attacking midfield player beside Pogba in summer to allow us to play 4-3-3 to its best as Madrid.

Dracula

caf plane air-master
If a formation change from a 3 man midfield to a 2 man midfield limits someone we spent 80m on, its not the formation we need to change

itso 7

I think we passed on B.Silva because we thought Griezmann was in the bag. Nevertheless James is still a good fall back option if we can get him because he is more productive and can decide games in a variety of ways ( long range shorts or ser pieces).

prath92

Always loved him as a player but I am not sure he is what we really need. He is an upgrade on Mata though. Also, what is the reason he wasn't in Zidane's plans often? Work ethic or something else?
My understanding is that they play a 4-3-3

Midfield needs Casemiro to defend. Modric and kroos are also key. Kovacic is backup there who is good as well.

Front 3, ronaldo plays most games at LF, Benzema/Morata at ST and Isco/Bale/Asensio at RF.

James there can't play in midfield ahead of any of the players nor will he fit in at ST or RW (ronaldo is a mainstay).

Lawman

We'll play both 4-2-3-1 and 4-3-3 next season IMO according the opponent, but against small teams, I prefer to add more attacking options as number 10 provide more attacking threat, unless, of course we bought another very strong attacking midfield player beside Pogba in summer to allow us to play 4-3-3 to its best as Madrid.
Personally I'd like Fabinho and a runner from midfield (that can get himself into the box and join the front man) one that carries a goal threat and is a bit of an all rounder.

el3mel

Personally I'd like Fabinho and a runner from midfield (that can get himself into the box and join the front man) one that carries a goal threat and is a bit of an all rounder.
The problem is the suggestions for the runner, if we get, for example, Nainggolan and Fabinho, we can play 4-3-3 to its best form.

Klopp_De_Klown

Well, Morata would cost around 70. James 50-60?
Where you get this load of pony from?

2 players who dont play, one who wants out and the other who wants to play but neither the manager wants above others . Morata quoted at 50+ and Jamez at 40+ . This was a few days ago. Inter quoted at 44 million bid for Hamez and they think they are in.

Hamez said he would consider a move to United, through his dad, thats about all the info we have so far.

Where you getting your numbers?

Seij

He's clearly a very talented player who is also highly marketable. He has 11 goals and and 8 assists from 31 games in his "poor season" many of which he came on as a sub and did not get an extended run in the starting line up because of his team being full of WC players.

The problem is that like most players at RM it sounds like he never wants to leave RM even if that means he's wasting away on their bench unless Madrid literally shoves him out the door. We know what happened with the last time we signed a player like that. On a similar note, I'm glad we narrowly avoided getting Keylar Navas because he would've been sulking here all season.

jking948

So what potential positions could James play? Obviously he is best as a #10 in a 4-2-3-1. Couldn't he also play a similar role in any diamond shape (i.e., a 4-4-2 diamond like we used against Leicester)? And where could he play in the 4-3-3? As a right midfielder?

I guess my view is that, our offense is awful, and James has been electrifying every time he plays at Real Madrid. He has created 44 chances and scored 11 goals in 31 appearances. He has a pass accuracy of 89% and 63% of those were forward passes. Put simply, James improves a squad's attack any time he plays.

Further, the reason he hasn't played a lot this season is that he is not better than Kroos, provides a different skill set than Casemiro and Modric, and is not as good of a winger as a healthy Isco or Bale. If Real was not so stacked than James would easily be playing major minutes.

The fact is, though, Real does not need more offense. United, however, do. So I am curious if Jose can put him in a position on the squad where he can electrify our attack.

broccoli

Supports
FCPorto
Makes way too much sense to sign James after the Griezman fiasco.

A 10 with flair and bite? As said before, there's Lindgard for that.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Precisely. Anyone who's watched Madrid enough knows he's quality.
It's not always that element, as you need to be quality to even get to Real Madrid.
It's more that some players there see anywhere else as a step down, and if you feel something is a step down your heart might not really be in it.
And we've been stung with Di Maria on that.

In theory, anyone in Real Madrid's regular matchday squad would be a worthy addition, bar keepers as we have better.

Saf94

Makes way too much sense to sign James after the Griezman fiasco.

A 10 with flair and bite? As said before, there's Lindgard for that.
I kinda agree, this is the type of signing we almost never make. That said last summer we did some pretty interesting things but it kinda feels like this summer is a revert to the norm

Zoo

A better fit for Mourinho's 4-2-3-1, hopefully he can be his new Sneijder or Deco if he arrives.

bucky

I kinda agree, this is the type of signing we almost never make. That said last summer we did some pretty interesting things but it kinda feels like this summer is a revert to the norm
So you already know everything we will or will not sign until September?

Saf94

So you already know everything we will or will not sign until September?
Eh? Isn't the point of the whole part of this forum speculating on transfers? People aren't allowed to give their opinion on these things now?

Seriously though I'd be delighted if we signed James but in all my life as a United fan we've never signed a truly galactico no 10 like this. I'll be happy if he signs I just am going to wait until proper links come up before I get excited

bucky

Eh? Isn't the point of the whole part of this forum speculating on transfers? People aren't allowed to give their opinion on these things now?

Seriously though I'd be delighted if we signed James but in all my life as a United fan we've never signed a truly galactico no 10 like this. I'll be happy if he signs I just am going to wait until proper links come up before I get excited
Not really what you said or what I said. I replied to your impatience. There's more than enough time left for those good signings to happen.

Chekhov

Supports
A wife and three kids
It's not always that element, as you need to be quality to even get to Real Madrid.
It's more that some players there see anywhere else as a step down, and if you feel something is a step down your heart might not really be in it.
And we've been stung with Di Maria on that.

In theory, anyone in Real Madrid's regular matchday squad would be a worthy addition, bar keepers as we have better.
Perhaps, but everything that I've heard regarding him coming to Old Trafford is that he's completely up for it. If anything, it's United who are the more reticent in this whole episode.

Personally, I'd love him here. Far better player than Morata, in my view.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.