James Ward Prowse | this isn’t a performance thread | signed for WH

Status
Not open for further replies.

gajender

To be fair he has a point, we are beyond poorly run.
Only partially we maybe laughing stock but we would still attract top players it might just mean we may end up paying premium for them and for right players it shouldn't be an issue .

arthurka

Only partially we maybe laughing stock but we would still attract top players it might just mean we may end up paying premium for them and for right players it shouldn't be an issue .
No I agree with that we could still attract the best players but he was right with the laughing stock.

SSSSnake

I had this crazy thought in my head the club was going to adopt a moneyball attitude and pursue mid-price players with efficient stats for a particular system.
love that movie! Although United are the New York Yankee’s technically when it come to money. We need to start buying smarter and get the next up and coming players instead of always buying established players which isn’t paying off right now.

Loon

:lol:
love that movie! Although United are the New York Yankee’s technically when it come to money. We need to start buying smarter and get the next up and coming players instead of always buying established players which isn’t paying off right now.
Agreed.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
So you wouldn't want him for your own reasons but other people not wanting him is because they are anti English?
Read it again. Hahaha.

I'd have him in a heartbeat if we didn't get ripped off. Ability is there for me.

The point I made totally went over your head. I'm saying the fact he's English he's immediately dismissed by 25% of fans on here.

Idxomer

If gifs were allowed I'd be posting that Michael Scott "please God no" one right now.
Seriously, people want us to repeat the same mistakes we've done under Ole as quickly as possible.

OmarUnited4ever

The point I made totally went over your head. I'm saying the fact he's English he's immediately dismissed by 25% of fans on here
I feel like he is not dismissed because he is English, he is dismissed because English players, especially the good ones, are too expensive.

City paid 100m for Grealish, Spurs demanded City to pay 150m for Kane, WH are valuing Rice at 150m, and our Club spent 80m to sign Maguire, JWP just signed a new contract with Southampton, he is very good player and a consistent PL performer in the PL with a rare set-pieces taking ability, and I think he might make the England squad for WC22, he will definitely be very expensive to sign.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Seriously, people want us to repeat the same mistakes we've done under Ole as quickly as possible.
It'd be our Charlie Adam moment. Signing someone who has a decent strike on them but naff all else.

jackal&hyde

Read it again. Hahaha.

I'd have him in a heartbeat if we didn't get ripped off. Ability is there for me.

The point I made totally went over your head. I'm saying the fact he's English he's immediately dismissed by 25% of fans on here.
Most responses are about him not being worth it for the price. Why would he be dismissed by being English for any other reason then the price as it relates to quality?

The point didn't go over my head, I just have a hard time believing someone can claim some sort of xenophobia by a quarter of the fan base against the English. Fans of an English club no less. Do you see how silly that sounds?

Last edited:

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I remember him and grealish being player I bought for cheap on FM almost a decade ago.

Don't know why we wait until they become sk expensive.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Much better passer, much more consistent, more of a goal threat.

Also Ward-Prowse and Neves is the level United are at right now, not Tchouameni and Bellingham. Harsh reality but the club is a laughing stock with no CL football to offer.
this is the point...

Murder on Zidane's Floor

You'd better not kill Giroud
It'd be our Charlie Adam moment. Signing someone who has a decent strike on them but naff all else.
You've never watched him. He's a very good option. If I was running the club, we'd of signed him last season before his contract.

Yagami

Good post resistant
You've never watched him. He's a very good option. If I was running the club, we'd of signed him last season before his contract.
I've watched him more than enough. He's rubbish which is why he's still at Southampton despite their better players always getting poached by the bigger clubs.

izec

I've watched him more than enough. He's rubbish which is why he's still at Southampton despite their better players always getting poached by the bigger clubs.
Since Van Dijk, they didnt sell a better player. Also JWP is a youth product, happy to play for them. The others don't care about the club that much.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
I feel like because of his good free kicks that he should have some decent distance passing. However I don't see it and feel like maybe i had not been paying attention.

Does he have the ability to do it or is he more just the energetic player?

croadyman

Much better passer, much more consistent, more of a goal threat.

Also Ward-Prowse and Neves is the level United are at right now, not Tchouameni and Bellingham. Harsh reality but the club is a laughing stock with no CL football to offer.
Yeah we have to buy at that level until can attract the next level of player again

croadyman

Very clear many people haven’t watched him outside of the games vs United and some freekick highlights, he’s not a winger by any stretch. He’s a realistic signing in the mould of what we need, great work rate offensively and defensively, excellent on the ball, has the added bonus of his set pieces. He’s not the fastest player although he’s not slow i.e. Matic but is super vocal and organises that Soton team. £75m is a joke, anything under £50m would be good value for a player who would immediately improve us and would probably end up captain given our lack of leadership.

He’s not world class, he’s just a really solid 7/10 all round CM who grafts and has great technique.Exactly the types of signings Klopp started with, you have to bring the base level of the team up with these players before you then cherry pick 1-2 big world class signings.
Absolutely spot on

Abraxas

Weird how people are talking as if we're Aston Villa and have to start procuring mediocre talents for a few years to earn our stripes.

This is a massive club. 75,000 every week, historic, one of the most respected managers in Europe coming in, finances that can blow all but a select few out of the water. You don't sell them the pessimistic dream based on last season or the season before. That's just the mentality of this place, in the doldrums. You get ETH on the phone and talking to people. We can attract better talents than JWP no worries at all.

Also, players are not glass half full like this place. They have an ego and think they can make a difference. Especially as part of a new project, it's very clear something new is happening.

Not saying we're getting the Haaland's of this world but the way people are talking is just a bit pathetic.

Weird how people are talking as if we're Aston Villa and have to start procuring mediocre talents for a few years to earn our stripes.

This is a massive club. 75,000 every week, historic, one of the most respected managers in Europe coming in, finances that can blow all but a select few out of the water. You don't sell them the pessimistic dream based on last season or the season before. That's just the mentality of this place, in the doldrums. You get ETH on the phone and talking to people. We can attract better talents than JWP no worries at all.

Also, players are not glass half full like this place. They have an ego and think they can make a difference. Especially as part of a new project, it's very clear something new is happening.

Not saying we're getting the Haaland's of this world but the way people are talking is just a bit pathetic.
Well said, if we already had our starting 11 sorted I wouldn’t mind JWP as a squad player but I don’t think hes good enough to be a starter if we want to start challenging for major trophies again.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Since Van Dijk, they didnt sell a better player. Also JWP is a youth product, happy to play for them. The others don't care about the club that much.
He may be happy to play for them but I'm sure he'd leave like other youth products in Walcott, Bale, Ox, Shaw, Chambers, Lallana etc, if a bigger club wanted him. The bigger clubs don't, though, because you need to have more to your game than a good strike on you.

Hojberg is an incredibly average midfielder, but even he was a better central midfielder and got his move. Romeu has been Sotons best CM since joining. Ward Prowse is at his level.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905

Agreed 100% we will attract still one of the best players in the world. For the money+ salaries, history and new project prospects. Our scouting system should be good enough to identify many superb players which are yet to take the next step to become young football superstars like Haaland which are just too expensive anyway.

croadyman

Completely agree. JWP & Neves would be good signings anyway and both buy into ETH's system / philosophy. Until we get playing ETH's way and finishing comfortably in the top 4 we won't be able to sign 'world class' players.
Took Klopp 2/3 years to get major signings in Van Dijk and Alisson.
Yeah that is a very valid point

jackal&hyde

Agree. We will need some squad players but if we are to spend in the 50 to 70 mil range it has to be for quality and potential of first 11.

I like JWP TBH. The PL clubs are just so rich now that it makes signings like this very problematic. The only way these medium type players can really get a move is if they run their contract down.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Still think this guy would be our best plan B. We want FdJ due to how he would impact our build-up and transition play. Really do think that is a big asset of Ward-Prowse too.

I think a piece in coaching voice describe him well.

«However, Ward-Prowse is most comfortable coming deep to look for the ball, and he is progressive with his passing once he receives it. He often looks for a quick, direct ball forward to runners in behind, or passes to an attacking midfielder between the lines with a swift, vertical delivery. It isn’t generally in Ward-Prowse’s game to move to between the lines to receive the ball himself, and it is rare that he ever moves ahead of the ball. Instead, he sparks attacks into life with daring passes.

When play is being built with longer passing sequences, Ward-Prowse can ignite an attack with his exceptional crossfield passing to find a runner from deep – usually a full-back or a winger making a run in behind (above). To get into a position underneath the ball and in space to receive facing forwards he times his movement cleverly; that movement can create opportunities for first-time through balls to be played through the middle of the pitch by him drawing a central opponent out of position and a teammate identifying a chance to run through on goal.»

https://www.coachesvoice.com/cv/james-ward-prowse-southampton-ralph-hasenhuttl/

NoPace

Painfully one-footed. Can't really dribble. I don't see it. Decent fit for Liverpool as a Henderson replacement on the right in their triangle with Trent and Salah, or maybe as a playmaker for Spurs in a tough but boring 3 man midfield with the wingbacks really high, which suits Perisic and might suit whoever they sign at RB (though Spence seems a bit raw going forward, would probably work better with a better attacker like Lamptey or Frimpong).

But for us, I really don't see how it works. Eriksen is probably as good as everything he does and runs more and has more quality outside of set-pieces.

Abraxas

Decent on the ball, but he's a bit...well...boring. Non-descript. He'd be a decent option to have but I don't necessarily see any reason to pay what Southampton would demand for a work horse.

He has changed my mind somewhat over the last season, I used to think he was a bit crap.

worldinmotion66

Painfully one-footed. Can't really dribble. I don't see it. Decent fit for Liverpool as a Henderson replacement on the right in their triangle with Trent and Salah, or maybe as a playmaker for Spurs in a tough but boring 3 man midfield with the wingbacks really high, which suits Perisic and might suit whoever they sign at RB (though Spence seems a bit raw going forward, would probably work better with a better attacker like Lamptey or Frimpong).

But for us, I really don't see how it works. Eriksen is probably as good as everything he does and runs more and has more quality outside of set-pieces.
Couldn't disagree more. And Spence would walk into our team too, I watched him live half a dozen times last season and he's got everything needed to be a top wingback, the only question marks are around his attitude.

Akso, saying that a player would suit two teams that are way ahead of us surely says enough about his qualities? He's obviously not at De Jong's level, but he's a better back up option than Tielemans imo.

Blood Mage

He'd walk into our midfield. We are in no position to turn our nose up at this sort of player, especially when the top midfielders don't want to join us right now. We can't just persist with the McFred midfield until we get the players we ideally want, they need replacing ASAP.

MrBrightside1989

For around £25m would be a good addition to the squad .... but Southampton would probably ask for £75m

Ish

Lights on for Luke
Couldn't disagree more. And Spence would walk into our team too, I watched him live half a dozen times last season and he's got everything needed to be a top wingback, the only question marks are around his attitude.
I've only seen Spence a limited amount of times and i am really impressed as well (and wouldn't mind us taking a Malacia type punt on him) but to say a championship player would walk into our first team is a little....premature, isn't it? The step-up or level between the 2 leagues is high, though Spence really does seem to have all the ingredients to make it.

Remember the geese

He'd walk into our midfield. We are in no position to turn our nose up at this sort of player, especially when the top midfielders don't want to join us right now. We can't just persist with the McFred midfield until we get the players we ideally want, they need replacing ASAP.
Pretty sure the plan is to play De Jong and Eriksen together.

croadyman

Yeah cannot afford to wait for someone because this is a key position and has been neglected for way too long

Status
Not open for further replies.