James Wilson image 19

James Wilson England flag

2016-17 Performances

View full 2016-17 profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Another loan moves leaves his future in limbo and I don't think he would fancy it either. He's not getting games here anytime soon. I expect us to invest heavily in a striker once Ibra's time is done at the club.
A sale with an option on him is the best route.

Nickosaur

Another loan moves leaves his future in limbo and I don't think he would fancy it either. He's not getting games here anytime soon. I expect us to invest heavily in a striker once Ibra's time is done at the club.
A sale with an option on him is the best route.
I'm beginning to think the same. I've always thought that unless the player you are loaning is significantly better than your others in that position, why let them develop when you have your own (possibly more loyal and generally more experienced) player who can do the job? Wilson was usually 3rd choice at Brighton, and while he did struggle with injury/sickness he didn't get as much playing time as he'd like.

You see Barca and Madrid do deals like these all the time, e.g. Deulefeou Carvajal, Morata etc. I think we should go a similar route with Wilson - IF an ideal loan club doesn't come up.

m1y2

Another loan move would be good for him. The one dimensional pace aspect is a good thing but he needs to move away (for now) with just being a striker, he needs game time to develop and it would be better for him to get on the right wing where he can run at defenders with his pace and develop his dribbling skills further. He's got potential and the right attributes to be a top player but right now he's hot to get game time, build his stamina, cut out niggling injures and build his physique, the rest will come with time.
I don't think he's that high potential, if he had he wouldn't struggle that much at senior level, he can be a late bloomer but for now he didn't convince anyone to think he can cut it at the top level, he's a good finisher and well paced player, he needs so much more to add to become top player and imo with all the injuries he will struggle to get game time in the premier league in the coming years let alone developping into a top player playing for one of the big clubs but that's just my estimate I will be gladly proven wrong.. I agree with the rest

Sb_16

I don't think any PL club will be after him just yet. So selling him to a championship level team with a buy-back clause is pretty much pointless. Since that level is below the quality of PL and whether the team will earn promotion cannot be said for certain.

So a loan now and sell, if he impresses, to a PL club with bb clause would be most favorable.

RedStarUnited

I dont know what happened with this guy. In the youth/reserve level he was an absolute beast. Much better than someone like Pogba ever was for us.

He could score Messi like dribbbling goals for the reserves for fun. But for whatever reason, his dynamism disappears in the main team.

m1y2

I dont know what happened with this guy. In the youth/reserve level he was an absolute beast. Much better than someone like Pogba ever was for us.

He could score Messi like dribbbling goals for the reserves for fun. But for whatever reason, his dynamism disappears in the main team.
well I believe that Pogba showed at least the same talent as James if not more and of course midfielder's job is different to striker but it's often more remembered mazy runs and finishes than breaking up the play and setting up attacks...

Actually I don't think that JW was that talented in the first place, there is so many aspects to his game that he's missing which is worrying for a player who want to break through to the senior football... I said it quite a lot of times I am almost sure he will not make it here and he will struggle to settle in premier league as well in the upcoming years, while Pogba will be winning the balloon d'or..

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
well I believe that Pogba showed at least the same talent as James if not more and of course midfielder's job is different to striker but it's often more remembered mazy runs and finishes than breaking up the play and setting up attacks...

Actually I don't think that JW was that talented in the first place, there is so many aspects to his game that he's missing which is worrying for a player who want to break through to the senior football... I said it quite a lot of times I am almost sure he will not make it here and he will struggle to settle in premier league as well in the upcoming years, while Pogba will be winning the balloon d'or..
What?
Did you actually watch the two in the reserves? Pogba played within himself sat deep in midfield, half the time the game drifted past him, Wilson on the other hand was taking apart teams by himself, he single handedly dicked Citys "Citys Elite Development Squad" by himself for example.

Im not going to bother arguing which has translated themselves better at the top level, because is bloody obvious, but to say Pogba put in James Wilson displays in the youth isn't fair.

RedStarUnited

@BennyBlanco said it perfectly.

Wilson was much much better in reserves than Pogba.

m1y2

What?
Did you actually watch the two in the reserves? Pogba played within himself sat deep in midfield, half the time the game drifted past him, Wilson on the other hand was taking apart teams by himself, he single handedly dicked Citys "Citys Elite Development Squad" by himself for example.

Im not going to bother arguing which has translated themselves better at the top level, because is bloody obvious, but to say Pogba put in James Wilson displays in the youth isn't fair.
not saying he was always seen on the pitch but his talent was obvious, where as james wilson always looked like a great potent striker but a bit too limited or too one dimensional for my liking and he turned out struggling on senior level as I expected, I was actually more convinced by Will Keane before injury than Wilson.

GazTheLegend

Apparently Brighton want him back.

He only scored 5 goals there but they must have liked him. I do think he has a future if he can show his real potential in senior matchs, maybe he just needs more time.

He does have everything he needs to be a fantastic footballer, I am kinda surprised/amazed he hasn't been able to show it in any official matches yet. Maybe it's a mentality thing.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
He does have everything he needs to be a fantastic footballer, I am kinda surprised/amazed he hasn't been able to show it in any official matches yet. Maybe it's a mentality thing.
Im 99% sure thats the thing, said it earlier in this thread as well. Mentality is much more important then talent at that stage and he already proved that he has the talent. Its not that he looks so poor only at senior level, he was the same in his LVG first season when they moved him back to U21....

Perrick Dubois

Ah the hooded and robed "get rid" acolytes have descended upon this thread to pass judgement on James Wilson. "Bin him, totally rubbish player."

I shake my head, he's 20 and he'll more than likely go on loan for this season and probably next season. Let him develop for a little bit longer. Keane and Lingard are starting to mature at 24 and look like forcing their way into squad roles this season. It is far to early to be writing off Wilson.

FacerTheRed

I think one last loan out will do him, preferably to a Premier league team. At the moment he hasn't shown enough to deserve a place in the squad in my opinion, Rashford as done more in just 5 months than Wilson has done in his 2 years in the first team. Wilson hasn't really impressed in his last loan out to Brighton so he is in back of the line at the moment. He's got potential to be a decent player but for me personally I haven't seen enough from him, so he's got some hard work to do to remain a Manchester United player and impress the new boss.

Glideman

Honestly, whenever I see Wilson play, he hasn't impressed me. I don't see him making it here.

ricky-romeo

he'll be on the bench if he goes on loan to a premier league club.

needs to go back to the championship again i guess.

wiz4231

Apparently Brighton want him back.

He only scored 5 goals there but they must have liked him. I do think he has a future if he can show his real potential in senior matchs, maybe he just needs more time.

Would not want him to go back and he shouldn't want to for his own good. The football they play is diabolical, hoof ball galore, I'd rather send Fellaini there on loan. He needs to go to a club with a good style of football, pass and move, create openings for him and give him positional options on the field.

C'est Moi Cantona

Telegraph saying we'll listen to offers for Wilson.

Edit: For sale I took it as, not loan.

Last edited:

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
I would go on loan or just flat out leave if I were him, same with Januzaj and Periera at this point.

3KDré

Or sell him. He seems underwhelming almost every time I watch him play.

Vilev

He is done here. Sad, i hoped he could become our own homegrown Solskjaer.

LouisDanGaal

I think United owning him will always be a shadow over his game, he looks nervous and the pressure of being a united player follows you everywhere, I think its best for his development to go on his own and make it at another club.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
He's an absolutely lethal finisher, once he finds his feet in the professional game he'll go on to do very well for himself i'm sure.

Litch

I still don't understand how we sold Danny, we then had limited attacking options but then send Wilson out on loan....?

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
Good, hopefully he can get 25+ starts, he needs actual games regardless of division.

SwansonsTache

incontinent sexual deviant & German sausage lover
It is funny how all of us had big hopes for Wilson, while knowing feck all about Rashford.

dirkey

Hope he proves me wrong if he does go out on loan, but I have to agree with those who say they haven't seen anything from him in the first team to suggest he's good enough for us. Pity ... but I've been wrong many a time before, hopefully this is another of those times.

DanClancy

I'm prepared to give Wilson time, he's had plenty of injuries down the year and can remember Nicky Butt saying it would take him several years to flourish. I'd expect him to develop physically over the next couple of years and improve his all round game to add to his finishing ability and great pace.

In Rainbows

Hopefully he doesn't get those little injuries that have plagued his young career.

Nickosaur

I think he might bloom a little later in response to first team football, a la Lingard. Clearly has talent but needs a bit of time to adjust and become a more physical player.

Status
Not open for further replies.