Status
Not open for further replies.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads

James Anthony Wilson
Dec 1, 1995 (20)
Biddulph

1.83 m

James Wilson is an exciting prospect who enjoyed a remarkable two-goal Premier League debut in the final home game of the 2013/14 season against Hull City.

The fact the 18-year-old found the net did not surprise seasoned watchers of a striker with blistering pace and a deadly reputation in front of goal as his progress continued unabated, with caretaker boss Ryan Giggs giving him his head.

Wilson made two senior appearances at the start of 2015/16, as a substitute in the league defeat at Arsenal and a starter in the League Cup loss to Middlesbrough, before Louis van Gaal agreed a deal for the player to join Brighton & Hove Albion on loan until the end of the season. "Players of his age need to play and at the moment he does not have too many possibilities to play on a higher level," van Gaal said at the time. "We believe in him so he has to develop himself elsewhere."

The young striker went on to make 27 appearances for the Championship side, scoring five goals, but suffered disappointment as the Seagulls narrowly missed out on automatic promotion and then were beaten by Sheffield Wednesday in the play-offs.

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I'm sure many will continue to mention Wilson alongside Rashford or whoever as first team United strikers, but I think yet again, he failed to impress in the first team. I've watched him since he was 16 too and am aware of what he's shown at various youth levels, but I keep saying that as it stands, he is incredibly overhyped on here in my opinion. He hasn't been a youth player for 2 years now, and in that time, for the most part, he's been underwhelming. It's what he does at first team level that he will be judged by ultimately, and at United, chances must be taken as there is always a top player on the market we could sign, or a Rashford coming behind.

Needs to do a lot more with whatever chances he gets if he is to be a United player long term, it can't be that we United fans and MUTV watchers have to keep going around telling people 'he's actually a top talent, honest'. Nick Powell, for example, was also promised as a stellar talent, but ultimately, you get a chance and you either deliver or you don't. Today Nick Powell is a Championship player, and that is despite his prior billing.

Striker10

"Ronaldo and trophies > Manchester United football
Probably needs a loan - would like to see him get plenty of games. We need to get him on the ball. I don't think we were great in the first half. At no point did we really get the ball to him in great positions and they played quite deep. I would like to see him in a side that is free flowing.....I'm sure that would push him on a bit.

LouisDanGaal

Think he literally has two games to convince mourinho he is worth it. Did nothing today and in two games time rooney rashford martial and ibra will be taking up the forwards role in the team. In fact I would say at most he will have 90 minutes over the two games in which to stake a claim I can see him failing and being sold to championship.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
I'm sure many will continue to mention Wilson alongside Rashford or whoever as first team United strikers, but I think yet again, he failed to impress in the first team. I've watched him since he was 16 too and am aware of what he's shown at various youth levels, but I keep saying that as it stands, he is incredibly overhyped on here in my opinion. He hasn't been a youth player for 2 years now, and in that time, for the most part, he's been underwhelming. It's what he does at first team level that he will be judged by ultimately, and at United, chances must be taken as there is always a top player on the market we could sign, or a Rashford coming behind.

Needs to do a lot more with whatever chances he gets if he is to be a United player long term, it can't be that we United fans and MUTV watchers have to keep going around telling people 'he's actually a top talent, honest'. Nick Powell, for example, was also promised as a stellar talent, but ultimately, you get a chance and you either deliver or you don't. Today Nick Powell is a Championship player, and that is despite his prior billing.
Good post.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Willo is a top talent and most that watched him at youth level will confirm that, problem is - talent alone is not good enough, not even close.
Pure talent wise, there isnt much between him and Rashford but the biggest difference is in their mentality. Rashford plays without a fear, he goes out to enjoy himself and if and when he makes a mistake he forgets it immediately and continues playing like nothing happened.

Willo on the other hand looks bang average at senior level and he isnt progressing one bit. Have a feeling he shits himself every time he goes on the pitch, because of that he plays poor and because of that his confidence is non existent so there is little or no chance of bouncing back - magic circle. He is a shadow of a player that he was at youth level and if i judged him only on senior level performances i would say he is going to be lucky if he ends up in Chamapionship. Even his style of play changed so much, watched him closely today and he had a movement of a classic, heavy number 9 instead of what he should be doing and that is - always be on the turn, constantly making runs of the ball.
One of my favorite players so i hope he bounces back but in the current situation his position in the pecking order iis threaten even from Will Keane who looked pretty good today. Have no idea what would he need to overcome his mental issue, somehow i doubt it its only a loan with a good amount of game time and im not even sure if you can overcame mentality issues, hope you can.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Is he really as talented as Rashford? His hold-up play, awareness and first touch doesn't seem near as good as Rashford's. I think he can certainly smack a ball as hard - probably harder - and is electric when he has space to run into, but beyond that...

FromTheBench

He always is better playing in a 2 striker partnership with somebody than leading the line alone. Iirc hughton also said something similar last season.

Lurpak99

Buttered up
Probably needs a loan - would like to see him get plenty of games. We need to get him on the ball. I don't think we were great in the first half. At no point did we really get the ball to him in great positions and they played quite deep. I would like to see him in a side that is free flowing.....I'm sure that would push him on a bit.
He went on loan to Brighton, and didn't really do that well there. I just don't think he's good enough, and endless loan spells is something that happens to players who aren't good enough. Of Giggs, Scholes, Beckham, Butt and the Neville brothers only Beckham had a short loan spell at Preston, players who're good enough rarely has more than one loan spell.

FromTheBench

He went on loan to Brighton, and didn't really do that well there. I just don't think he's good enough, and endless loan spells is something that happens to players who aren't good enough. Of Giggs, Scholes, Beckham, Butt and the Neville brothers only Beckham had a short loan spell at Preston, players who're good enough rarely have more than one loan spell.
He had his problem with injuries and illness but did alright at Brighton. Players take to first team level at different speeds but his talent is clearly there. Btw, Harry kane says hi.

FromTheBench

Powells had like 3 long term injuries in 3/4 seasons now and his attitude is in question by some too. Still prem and championship clubs have wanted him pretty much due to his talent and potential alone.

Šjor Bepo

Wout is love, Wout is life; all hail Wout!
Is he really as talented as Rashford? His hold-up play, awareness and first touch doesn't seem near as good as Rashford's. I think he can certainly smack a ball as hard - probably harder - and is electric when he has space to run into, but beyond that...
His hold-up play was never his strong suit but at youth level his awareness and first touch were brilliant, specially his touch. Trying to find one goal from him in the U18 but cant, Bergkamp esque touch to control the ball over the top and a lovely finish.

Lurpak99

Buttered up
He had his problem with injuries and illness but did alright at Brighton. Players take to first team level at different speeds but his talent is clearly there. Btw, Harry kane says hi.
There's always exceptions to the rule.

khoazany

The problem of him at senior level is he looks panicked whenever he receives the ball or something.Always look for a quick pass back which sometimes does not even executed well.He's not confident enough to hold the ball for long which is weird considering his dribbling is actually decent.

robinzx

Was not impressive during the Wigan match. I feel like he's the type of striker who depends on pace and running in behind defenders to get chances. With teams playing behind the ball against us I'm not sure he'll get to show his strengths that often.

An underdeveloped version of Chico if you will. In any case he probably needs to leave on loan again or permanently to get first team chances, given Martial and Rashford.

Perrick Dubois

I don't think he is ready yet. Especially to play the type of role he was deployed in yesterday. He just doesn't look like a player that wants to bump and grind with the back four and scrap all game. He looks like he's more comfortable peeling off into the space and getting on the ball facing goal.

Nothing wrong with that, but I do think he needs a couple more seasons of development.

ti vu

He should be develop to a similar player to Vardy with his skillset. Don't agree with people say he's not talented. He is. Just that his style is hard to utilize while his development is yet complete. At the moment, he doesn't fit any style our team have been plying. Not even SAF, Moyes, LVG, nor Mourinho's.

Obiorahking_

He should be develop to a similar player to Vardy with his skillset. Don't agree with people say he's not talented. He is. Just that his style is hard to utilize while his development is yet complete. At the moment, he doesn't fit any style our team have been plying. Not even SAF, Moyes, LVG, nor Mourinho's.
How?

Nickosaur

He clearly is talented, and I still think he has a future here. But he needs to start showing his ability in the first team. Some of the stuff he did at reserve level was unreal, but it's a different level entirely in the first XI.

m1y2

too much optimism for a player who is struggling big time with a step up to senior team. I dont think he's not talented but he's injury prone and his stamina is absolutely terrible, someone like Rashford who played a single game for U21 showed he can run all game, Wilson goes missing much too often.

Need another loan and finally show what he can do otherwise sell him after next season...

wiz4231

He wont make it as a striker, should play wide forward. He's so weak and unbalanced it's unreal, just a speed merchant with a decent left foot.
Agree with the first bit, he should play as a wide forward. He tried multiple times yesterday to turn his defenders or run at them with ball but it was far too congested at the back, I feel he would do better out wide where he'd have more space. He's got a great left foot and fantastic finishing ability, I'd rather have Wilson playing/back up on the right wing than Lingard.

ti vu

No I'm talking about how he doesn't fit the approach of said managers
SAF: Wilson is not strong enough, and lacks in hold up play and link up play to be the focus of the attack. He is not influential enough to be afforded the Ronaldo role = free role. Not a real winger. Wilson doesn't have same same movement of Tevez, Chicharito or the heading prowess of Ronaldo, Rooney if SAF decided to box the opponent and constantly pouring crosses.

Moyes: His forward category is more limited. His most priority attribute in foward is hold up play: Saha, Yakubu, Tim Chaill, Fellaini, Jelavic, Ducan Feguson, Beattie... with very few exceptions. Wilson's current and perhaps eternal weakness is his hold up play with his back to the opponent goal. Moyes failed to do anything with RVP, Rooney, Chicharito, Welbeck... whose hold up play are different than his preference.

LVG & Mourinho IMO shares almost identical preference od forward: shoot less, but decisive when there is chances. Less involved in build up, but good in acting as focus for link up play. Occupy the central defender and drag them out of positions to create: know when to drop out of position. Strong, and able to play independently. Again this is high demanding position.

Mourinho also have a free forward in certain tactic like with Porto, Inter. Again this role is also demanding, requires this forward to have great dribbling skill. Wilson will face challenge from Martial, even Rashford or Januzaj...

Look at this video around 11:20. That's how Vardy played, which I see Wilson skillset can provide similar effect.

Last edited:

Number32

He wont make it as a striker, should play wide forward. He's so weak and unbalanced it's unreal, just a speed merchant with a decent left foot.
I agree, he rarely played as striker in BHA anyway.
But most of good striker was playing wide in their early senior career.

Not sure he's that fast either, not on the first couple of yards anyway.
Not as fast as welbeck or sterling but he has pace to beat defenders. If he had better end product in front of the goal then he'll be ok.

Last year he also had some poor performance in pre season though

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
too much optimism for a player who is struggling big time with a step up to senior team. I dont think he's not talented but he's injury prone and his stamina is absolutely terrible, someone like Rashford who played a single game for U21 showed he can run all game, Wilson goes missing much too often.

Need another loan and finally show what he can do otherwise sell him after next season...
Needs another loan? People need to stick a fork in him.He looks more limited than Macheda did at this level.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I agree, he rarely played as striker in BHA anyway.
But most of good striker was playing wide in their early senior career.

Not as fast as welbeck or sterling but he has pace to beat defenders. If he had better end product in front of the goal then he'll be ok.

Last year he also had some poor performance in pre season though
He's faster than both Welbeck and Sterling I'd say. Not as fast as Rashford though.

Tiber

This could end up being a short thread

JoaquinJoaquin

Was excellent at youth level but never convinced me in the first team. I have gotten panned on here over the last 12 months for saying so though, a bit like Lingard now. I think the emergence of Rashford has all but ended his United career to be honest.

Mr. Ant

Perfect I'm glad Jose sees he's just not good enough, was awful against shite Wigan team..

Robertd0803

This could end up being a short thread
Had to laugh when I read your comment. :lol:

Was in here to say that I just don't see it happening for Wilson, and then it turns out he is probably out the door anyway.

He was awful against Wigan and besides his debut never really saw much from him.

Mike09

Loan will be the best for him. He won't get enough games time in here when we already have Ibra, Rooney and Rashford. I think he has the tools (pace, power and touch), just need someone to teach him what to do to use them. If he is willing to learn he can make it here at least as a backup, but at the moment he needs to prove himself and Mourinho isn't as nice as LVG's first season.

Trigg

aka Trippin_Stoned
I'm not sure Wilson is good enough. Think he'll go on to have a successful career elsewhere but just lacking a bit of quality for a Utd team.

Gerald G

I said I wouldn't be surprised to see him sold and this just further convinces my initial thought.

Status
Not open for further replies.