James Wilson | Aberdeen loan watch.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Completely forgot about this guy. Still plays for Man. United (although seems everyone on this forum has forgotten) and joined Aberdeen for the season.

Mad to think he once started a home game v Liverpool but he was pretty highly rated by LVG in those times but bad injuries and disappointing loan spells put paid to that. Then Rashford came out of nowhere and he's suddently 6th choice striker.

Doubt Aberdeen could afford to sign him full time so guess it's just a loan to run down his contract then sell him for a fee next summer.

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
Completely forgot about this guy. Still plays for Man. United (although seems everyone on this forum has forgotten) and joined Aberdeen for the season.

Mad to think he once started a home game v Liverpool but he was pretty highly rated by LVG in those times but bad injuries and disappointing loan spells put paid to that. Then Rashford came out of nowhere and he's suddently 6th choice striker.

Doubt Aberdeen could afford to sign him full time so guess it's just a loan to run down his contract then sell him for a fee next summer.
This is the last year of his contract. He'll leave on a free and we'll get small compensation for development costs. According to Warren Joyce, his attitude was a big issue as well.

“The frustrating thing is seeing ones like Januzaj, Wilson or Federico Macheda get up to that level and stop doing the work they did to get them to that level.

“Not play the games, not train as hard, sit in jacuzzis and not do the same weights and sessions they did to get there. Those are the frustrating ones for me, because that could be avoided.

“You’re in football for sport, to be competitive and try to do your best and challenge yourself, so those things are on the periphery. You either want to be in a boyband in a pop star environment, or a footballer.”

The holy trinity 68

The disparager
Morrison, Januzaj, Macheda, Wilson.

4 players that could have went very far with United. Extremely disappointing how their careers have turned out.

4 players that could have went very far with United. Extremely disappointing how their careers have turned out.
4 players hyped to the rooftops.

Morrison yes, and we all know the story there.

The other three just had amazing debut games/seasons.
Januzaj was never more than a decent footballer lifted up to be the shining light in a torrid year. He is at his level now.
Macheda was never thought of as going to be that good, he just scored that goal.
Wilson was just quick, there were question marks over everything else in his game.

kundalini

This is the last year of his contract. He'll leave on a free and we'll get small compensation for development costs. According to Warren Joyce, his attitude was a big issue as well.
There are 2 sets of rules for development costs. One for players in the academy, I think it applies to under 16s. The other for professionals. In order to get compensation, the club needs to have offered the player a new deal on terms at least equal to his previous contract and naturally that offer has been rejected by the player. In the James Wilson scenario, we can't do that because his current salary is somewhere in the £750K - £1m region (the starting point for all the McNair/Blackett/Pereira/Tuanzebe/TFM/McTominay/CBJ type contracts signed by players who have just broken into the first team squad), while the type of clubs interested in him might be willing to pay him £100K - £300K a year (average striker salary in League One, less desirable Championship teams, most Scottish clubs not called Celtic or Rangers).

Our best option at this point is to sell him in the winter transfer window while he is still under contract. A minimal fee plus sell-on percentage might be acceptable to Aberdeen. If he is performing brilliantly, we could use the + 1 year option on his current deal then hope to get a better offer in the summer.

http://fullcontactlaw.co.uk/2016/11/compensation-players-24-mystery/

The relevant bit of the rules is:

Subject to the provisions of this Regulation 67, any Club which makes an offer in accordance with Regulation 67.2 of re engagement to a Contract Player who is an Under 24 Player and which is in the opinion of the Board not less favourable than the Player’s current contractual terms, shall be entitled to a Compensation Fee in respect of the loss of the Player’s registration, should the Player sign for another Club. In order to comply with this Regulation, the annual value of the terms offered must be at least equivalent to the most favourable year’s terms in the Player’s previous contract. The terms offered to Players for re engagements must be as favourable overall except that a signing on fee included in the previous contract and stated to be a once only payment need not be repeated.

Last edited:

Castia

I dont mean to shit on the lad because its not his fault but how the hell is he still a United player? I mean fecking hell he's been around for years.

Should have been long gone 3-4 years ago.

limerickcitykid

There once was a kid from Toronto...
I dont mean to shit on the lad because its not his fault but how the hell is he still a United player? I mean fecking hell he's been around for years.

Should have been long gone 3-4 years ago.
He should have been sold 4 years ago after scoring 2 goals in his debut and only game?

The only point at which he should have been sold is a year ago but he was injured then and we were helping him recover so he obviously wasn't getting sold then. This has been the first year where he should have been sold.

kundalini

How do you sell a player that earns double, possible triple, what the type of clubs that might want to buy him, would be willing to pay him ?

The reason James Wilson and CBJ are still at United is because we gave them 4 year deals starting on £750K - £1m a year, on the assumption that there was a decent chance that they would become regular United squad players, possibly after a period of development on loan.

I thought James Wilson looked fine in the first team under LVG most of the time. His loans weren't a success. He got injured. Hasn't been able to recover his form so far. It happens.

Last edited:

Damien

Self-Aware RedCafe Database (and Admin)
Staff
There are 2 sets of rules for development costs. One for players in the academy, I think it applies to under 16s. The other for professionals. In order to get compensation, the club needs to have offered the player a new deal on terms at least equal to his previous contract and naturally that offer has been rejected by the player. In the James Wilson scenario, we can't do that because his current salary is somewhere in the £750K - £1m region (the starting point for all the McNair/Blackett/Pereira/Tuanzebe/TFM/McTominay/CBJ type contracts signed by players who have just broken into the first team squad), while the type of clubs interested in him might be willing to pay him £100K - £300K a year (average striker salary in League One, less desirable Championship teams, most Scottish clubs not called Celtic or Rangers).

Our best option at this point is to sell him in the winter transfer window while he is still under contract. A minimal fee plus sell-on percentage might be acceptable to Aberdeen. If he is performing brilliantly, we could use the + 1 year option on his current deal then hope to get a better offer in the summer.

http://fullcontactlaw.co.uk/2016/11/compensation-players-24-mystery/

The relevant bit of the rules is:

Subject to the provisions of this Regulation 67, any Club which makes an offer in accordance with Regulation 67.2 of re engagement to a Contract Player who is an Under 24 Player and which is in the opinion of the Board not less favourable than the Player’s current contractual terms, shall be entitled to a Compensation Fee in respect of the loss of the Player’s registration, should the Player sign for another Club. In order to comply with this Regulation, the annual value of the terms offered must be at least equivalent to the most favourable year’s terms in the Player’s previous contract. The terms offered to Players for re engagements must be as favourable overall except that a signing on fee included in the previous contract and stated to be a once only payment need not be repeated.
Thanks. I was thinking of Tom Cleverley who was over 24 so we didn't get a fee.
Should have sold him. Useless loan.
If we could have sold him, we would have. His wages are prohibitive to the level of clubs interested in him and he probably doesn't want a pay cut so will leave at the end of his contract.

el3mel

If we could have sold him, we would have. His wages are prohibitive to the level of clubs interested in him and he probably doesn't want a pay cut so will leave at the end of his contract.
If that's true, our tendency to give high wages to anyone is so bad it's laughable now.

MAME DIOUF 32

Macheda was a physical beast at a young age who has since admitted that he let it go to his head. Wilson has lost a lot of time to injury and isn't good enough. Morrison is Morrison. The only real disappointment there for me is Januzaj. I think it was bad timing with him having an awful manager, followed by one who wouldn't have a player like Januzaj in his team. But then he hasn't set the world alight since leaving so maybe he was another Macheda anyway.

limerickcitykid

But then he hasn't set the world alight since leaving so maybe he was another Macheda anyway.
One of those has looked good for a mid-table La Liga club and worked his way into an extremely talented Belgium side while the other is a free agent after being released from a relegated Serie B team. Hardly comparable.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Januzaj was never more than a decent footballer lifted up to be the shining light in a torrid year. He is at his level now.
Which is that of a full Belgian international and regularly playing well in la-liga

OK he is not the next messi but to be honest hes not doing bad for a 23 year old

We sold him for what £7m or so - Id guess his value is now double or triple that - in fairness his level is pretty high and I certainly think he would be a nice option to have in the squad given our lack of right wing alternatives

VanGaalyTime

Wilson is earning 30,000 a week. So we could save about 1.5 million a year by releasing him.

sincher

"I will cry if Rooney leaves"
4 players hyped to the rooftops.

Morrison yes, and we all know the story there.

The other three just had amazing debut games/seasons.
Macheda was never thought of as going to be that good, he just scored that goal.
Wilson was just quick, there were question marks over everything else in his game.
Januzaj looked very good very early. Macheda was overhyped for sure. Wilson is a mystery because he looked like he could be class but has lost his way bigtime, whether due to injuries or whatnot but he was also outstanding for his age and some excitement was understandable.

VanGaalyTime

No we couldn't. Contracts don't work like that.

It's also very doubtful he is getting 30k.
So you're saying if we don't pay someone 30k, we don't save 30k? It's pretty simple stuff. Who knows about his actual pay, I'm just going off the numerous sources that say he's being paid 30k a week. Some say different.

limerickcitykid

So you're saying if we don't pay someone 30k, we don't save 30k? It's pretty simple stuff. Who knows about his actual pay, I'm just going off the numerous sources that say he's being paid 30k a week. Some say different.
And you're saying someone with a contract at 30k a week we can just release him and not pay him? How exactly does that work?

limerickcitykid

He's getting a lot. The contracts given to him and Januzaj, among others, were the major reason we put a cap on what we'll pay young players. They downed tools after making the breakthrough and getting paid for it.
A lot, but very unlikely it is 30k. Its the same people who claim Shaw is on 100k+ when he is on nowhere near that.

Which is that of a full Belgian international and regularly playing well in la-liga

OK he is not the next messi but to be honest hes not doing bad for a 23 year old

We sold him for what £7m or so - Id guess his value is now double or triple that - in fairness his level is pretty high and I certainly think he would be a nice option to have in the squad given our lack of right wing alternatives
Squad filler. We have enough of those.

VanGaalyTime

So we're not saving anything then because we were never paying that.
As I said, some say 30,000 others say less. Who knows. Point is, we'll be saving money once he's released at the end of his contract. There was literally nothing controversial about what I just said. Can't be bothered explaining this to you any more.

Yagami

Good post resistant
Hibernian-Aberdeen was on BBC ALBA today so I gave it a watch. Got a nice surprise when Wilson came on around the 70th minute mark as I had completely forgot he went there. He didn't doing anything, but it was nice to see him playing again.

Hibernian played some good stuff with Daryl Horgan standing out, and I got another nice surprise when I saw them bring on Emerson Hyndman. I remember watching a United U23 game vs Fulham years ago and he was the best player on the pitch.

Andersons Dietician

A lot, but very unlikely it is 30k. Its the same people who claim Shaw is on 100k+ when he is on nowhere near that.
The stories in Aberdeen is that he is on 30k a week, Aberdeen couldn’t pay that so United are paying his full wage for the Dons. Should clarify a lot of the papers say around 30k, it could be 20k with certain performance bonuses or anything really.

Josep Dowling

The stories in Aberdeen is that he is on 30k a week, Aberdeen couldn’t pay that so United are paying his full wage for the Dons. Should clarify a lot of the papers say around 30k, it could be 20k with certain performance bonuses or anything really.
Is there any wonder we can’t rid of these players? What exactly has he done to warrant that sort of salary. I know we aren’t the only club that pay these youngsters ridiculous amounts but it’s no wonder a lot of them never hit their potential.

Ayush_reddevil

Éire Abú
Is there any wonder we can’t rid of these players? What exactly has he done to warrant that sort of salary. I know we aren’t the only club that pay these youngsters ridiculous amounts but it’s no wonder a lot of them never hit their potential.
I don't see what's the big deal with that tbh , the new contract happened after he made his first team debut and scored as well . Wilson was at that time one of the best prospects to come out of our academy and everyone used to be so impressed watching him play. A 30k a week contract (probably around 15-20 with bonuses ) isn't much for such a great prospect

Andersons Dietician

It is a bit of a joke if that is his salary, Shinnie just signed a new contract at the Dons and i’d be surprised if his wage is anywhere near that and he is supposedly the highest paid in the club. (discounting Wilson, who’s wages are paid by United)
I do think I remember reading that there are/were Chelsea youngsters on more than that.

Litch

If fairness it was genuinely felt Wilson would break through as he was outstanding at youth level. He's had some serious injuries too which ironically along with Keane allowed Rashford to have his opportunity....

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Hibernian-Aberdeen was on BBC ALBA today so I gave it a watch. Got a nice surprise when Wilson came on around the 70th minute mark as I had completely forgot he went there. He didn't doing anything, but it was nice to see him playing again.

Hibernian played some good stuff with Daryl Horgan standing out, and I got another nice surprise when I saw them bring on Emerson Hyndman. I remember watching a United U23 game vs Fulham years ago and he was the best player on the pitch.
Didn’t know Horgan had joined them! He’s a good player