Jamie Jackson writing Sancho press releases for United...

Houdini

We need to move on. He will propably end up in Liverpool. We can only hope that he won't be THAT good. Drtmund can hope that there will be interest for that price. Anything can happen (COVID, injury...).

Chief123

We go again boys!! Choo choo! :D

(Most likely bollocks to quieten the disgruntled fans)

I do worry if we try to sign him in 12 months. The deadline will be closed then! :confused:

cyberman

VDB was signed earlier on and Telles is a LB. I explained myself better on the post before this.
But 3 players who have every chance of being first choice players isnt a bad window.
It may not be enough to challenge for the title etc but we were never going to sign 5 or 6 first choice players in this window nor were we ever tipped to be.

Nikelesh Reddy

What the club doesn't seem to realise is that it wasn't us not signing Sancho that has pissed most of us off so much. If it cost too much in these difficult times then so be it, most of us would have understood.

It's that we messed around the entire window trying to get him when we should have known quite early that it wasn't going to happen, and then switched and used that time and money to properly target other options. Instead we basically waited until 72 hours before the window closed before we seemed to get serious about looking elsewhere, and we ended up missing any players that were ready to come in and make a starting spot their own.
This,exactly this.This transfer window was in many ways a combination of the first 2 transfer windows under Woodward....Those 2 windows were quite dreadful to say the least...

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
But 3 players who have every chance of being first choice players isnt a bad window.
It may not be enough to challenge for the title etc but we were never going to sign 5 or 6 first choice players in this window nor were we ever tipped to be.
I don't think that Cavani has what it takes to be first teamer. Considering his age and injury record I'd be happy if he can be of use tbh. Telles is a great attacking wingback but that will leave space at the back. Can Maguire and Lindelof/Bailly cover for that as well? I doubt it. VDB can be quite useful tbh. However Ole seem to be Pogba's groupie. I'd add Henderson to the list as well but the Norwegian seem to be in his fan club as well.

Sir Alex would have taken this team and he would have made it work. Ole is not Sir Alex.

Blood Mage

I do worry if we try to sign him in 12 months. The deadline will be closed then! :confused:
Absolutely no chance he picks us if teams like Bayern, Real and Liverpool come in for him next year. We blew our one chance to get him.

Chief123

Absolutely no chance he picks us if teams like Bayern, Real and Liverpool come in for him next year. We blew our one chance to get him.
I can certainly see Barca being interested. I’m guessing that’s the Spanish team that has been in touch with Dortmund. It’s pretty certain Messi will exercise his release for free next summer. That will release over £60m a year in wages they were giving messi. I’m sure they’ll try and find a way to fund it, even with installments.

The English club has to be Chelsea for me. They could offer him everything he wants from the prem, location etc

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Yeah, these journos were not to be trusted and now they're becoming painfully transparent. Dogs of the Glazers and Woodward.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Doubt he'd ever be a Man Utd player. Not sure if wer would even be in contension if we don't have CL football.

wolvored

Imo Woody /Glazers should have given it say a month till the end of August chasing Sancho. They should have made a couple of publicied offers. When nothing materialised they should have publically said it was going to cost £250 million maximum with fee, salary, agents fees etc. This was too much and would now look at other targets. 2 things would have happened. We would have put it to bed and then we would have had 5 weeks to get signings in. If we had have gotten 2 or a max of 3 over the 5 weeks it would have made the board seen in a different light. The other side of the coin maybe would have made Dortmund have a rethink and we may have been offered Sancho again at a lower price as they may have thought we was no longer bothered.
In reality all it did was piss Dortmund off that we were in for him and only started to bid when the press reported we were waiting for them to crumble, and then we had to do all our business on the final day and it comes across then to the world as panic buying and makes Utd the laughing stock.

Suv666

We dont have the cash for Sancho fair enough. But buy someone else! City couldn't afford Kouilabaly they bought Dias instead. Simple as that.

Stacks

I still don't understand what people see in Sancho that makes them think he's even that good.

Even at £90m I think it's a completely ridiculous price for a teenager who's been average to decent on the many times I've watched him, and who doesn't seem to possess any explosive abilities.

The issue is with spending the whole transfer window faffing about with a player who we were never going to sign, and who should never have been top of our priority list in the first place, and then signing two random wingers and a striker on deadline day who we literally could have signed in June, and after turning down the chance to sign a much better suited striker in January who would have cost a fraction of what we were willing to pay for Sancho!

Meanwhile our best centreback (whichever one you want to pick) isn't good enough to play for us.
I think its his age thus potential, longevity

I have no issues with waking away from Sancho - the deal was massive and it seems he would have been on huge salary and his agents would have got a massive payment - the fact of the matter is for all his potential, kid hasn’t made it YET to be demanding so much. The issue I think for a lot of us is then why not move on earlier? Well actually if you think about it, if he was our top target I see no issue with waiting further along the road to see if the demands of any party changes and that was a decent strategy. It seems Dembele was option 2 but he wasn’t interested until the last minute. My theory is that Sarr was option three and the reason we left Sancho and Dembele so late was because we knew we had until the 16th for Sarr. If we do get him, I can only see that those assumptions are correct.

my one criticism if that is indeed the case is that we should have moved some of that money to strengthening the CB position. My only counter there is that perhaps we see Upamencano as the priority and we know he’s not moving until next year.
I agree with this

wolvored

I was never anywhere close to as married to the idea of getting him as most seemed on here, and definitely not for the price it would take. If anything I'm pretty satisfied with the club's decision not to be taken to the cleaners, even if not having a plan B lined up is obviously fecking criminal.

While a guy his age putting up hatfuls of goals and assists in the Bundesliga is incredible, I'm still not really sold on him being at the absolute top level of prospects, and probably not as a stylistic fit for us. So many of his goals and assists from last year seem to be from situations where the other side has sent up suicidal numbers to chase a game and it's 3 attackers vs 2 defenders or whatever and a situation where you'd be disappointed if any PL level forward didn't grab himself a goal or assist.

I don't think his pace, dribbling and ability to take people on is quite as the level you'd want for a winger to be paying that kind of sum for, either. He seems a very 'reactive' type of dribbler who holds the ball and waits for the defender to do something fecking stupid before going past him. I'm not sure he really has it in him to go past a defender who is being more sensible and containing like a more explosive winger such as an Adama Traore or Saint-Maximin type can.

His eye for a pass and ability to find space is at an elite level, but much of this seems to be better coming off the left or drifting into central areas into positions that are already congested in our side anyway. He doesn't seem the type to really give the natural width on the right side we've needed forever, and need specifically from our RW if we're sticking with AWB at right back.

He looks more like a right footed Bernardo Silva or young Mata type of a forward more than anything to me and I'm just not sure he's a £120m player, let alone the answer to our prayers that the muppet community reckon he automatically would be.
I would also add he hasnt shown anything special playing for England either

RedDevil@84

Oh ya. Media loves slating United all window for lack of transfers and then go back to supporting the leeches who are ruining the club.
If the price Dortmund wanted was way above what we could afford, we would have walked away much earlier and looked at other targets that were available. We kept stoking the flames on the Sancho rumour is because we were not planning to get in any quality RW. But we wanted the press to go on and on.

Foxbatt

Imo Woody /Glazers should have given it say a month till the end of August chasing Sancho. They should have made a couple of publicied offers. When nothing materialised they should have publically said it was going to cost £250 million maximum with fee, salary, agents fees etc. This was too much and would now look at other targets. 2 things would have happened. We would have put it to bed and then we would have had 5 weeks to get signings in. If we had have gotten 2 or a max of 3 over the 5 weeks it would have made the board seen in a different light. The other side of the coin maybe would have made Dortmund have a rethink and we may have been offered Sancho again at a lower price as they may have thought we was no longer bothered.
In reality all it did was piss Dortmund off that we were in for him and only started to bid when the press reported we were waiting for them to crumble, and then we had to do all our business on the final day and it comes across then to the world as panic buying and makes Utd the laughing stock.
Correct but I think his agent may have dragged it on hoping that United may give in at the last minute?

wolvored

I don't think that Cavani has what it takes to be first teamer. Considering his age and injury record I'd be happy if he can be of use tbh. Telles is a great attacking wingback but that will leave space at the back. Can Maguire and Lindelof/Bailly cover for that as well? I doubt it. VDB can be quite useful tbh. However Ole seem to be Pogba's groupie. I'd add Henderson to the list as well but the Norwegian seem to be in his fan club as well.

Sir Alex would have taken this team and he would have made it work. Ole is not Sir Alex.
I think we will play 3 at the back. Shaw will play LCH behind Telles.

Denis' cuff

Basically, United won't pay the big bucks for the top players.

Tell us something we don't know.
and this, folks, is the truth

they’ve only been here 15 years and still people dont get it

dont give me this shit about what they’ve spent because of ever-changing managers they appointed with different requirements. We had a title winning side that were disbanded and inadequately replaced and it didn’t get any better. Look at the circus with the absolute failure that Pogba has been.

ti vu

Imagine we would pay more for him next summer. Will have this brief look silly. Never happen before!?

Wheato

I think we should walk away from this deal indefinitely now. If the cost of the deal is £225m, it is going to be £200m plus next year too.

We have just signed two wingers at 18, Sancho is 20 and we have 3 forwards all under 25. I do not think it is worth spending the money on Sancho next summer, he should not be a target.

We are better of spending £50m on Upemecano, £50m on Rice which will sort out 2 problems for the price of a luxury signing.

Now, if Dortmund get £108m next year good on them but I can see his price being £80m
They will sell Sancho to Bayern for 65 million, after Salihamidzic takes Zorc for dinner and a show. If only Matt Judge was able to perform a reach around!!

Meep

Zorc sounds like a Bond-villain, but no Bonds at United to make the deal. More like Mr Bean taking care of business here.

LVGSdive

It's obvious he was never that keen on joining us, otherwise he'd have lowered his wage demands and pushed harder for the move. United just aren't the draw for these elite talents that we used to be and we need to recognise that quickly and change our transfer strategy.
I don't think he wanted to come. He had no problem acting up when he wanted to go to Dortmund when he was at City.

Amir

I don't think he wanted to come. He had no problem acting up when he wanted to go to Dortmund when he was at City.
I rather despise the idea that if you don't act up like a arsehole, you're not into the move.

It's perfectly reasonable to act gentlemenly even if you don't get what you want in the end.

horsechoker

The Caf's Roy Keane.
I had the Sancho thread on ignore for a good chunk of the summer. It didn't drag on for me at all. Was all over fairly quickly. No mess no fuss.
Same here, decided to put in ignore until something happened. It never did so it's still on ignore. Could be interesting to look at one day.

Yakuza_devils

Our top target next year should be Haaland. He is much better than Harry Kane and won't cost that much due to his release clause next year. We need a world class striker like him and he is still very young.

macheda14

and this, folks, is the truth

they’ve only been here 15 years and still people dont get it

dont give me this shit about what they’ve spent because of ever-changing managers they appointed with different requirements. We had a title winning side that were disbanded and inadequately replaced and it didn’t get any better. Look at the circus with the absolute failure that Pogba has been.
No it isn't the truth. The have spent the big bucks on the players. We have routinely broken premier league transfer records since SAF left. Ergo they've spent the big bucks. Unfortunately thats all been on not very good player that haven't worked out, and more likely than not after 6 years of reckless spending the coffers have run dry a bit. Lack of spending isn't the biggest issue at this club, far from it. Not having the club run by footballing people IS the biggest issue.

BlueHaze

Shame the journos can't shut the feck up. It was the same crap all last year if we get CL football Sancho will come and all this rubbish and we all know how that ended.

I'll say what I've said since day one Jadon Sancho will never be a man utd player.

For a minute when everyone reported personal terms were agreed I got sucked in but then I saw the €120m fee and knew this will never happen. If we had decent owners we could have had both him and Haaland in our team now but instead we are stuck with the charlatan Glazers and ended up with 2 unknown 18 year olds instead.

AaronRedDevil

Our top target next year should be Haaland. He is much better than Harry Kane and won't cost that much due to his release clause next year. We need a world class striker like him and he is still very young.
What’s his release clause?

Denis79

Won't happen.

devilish

I think we will play 3 at the back. Shaw will play LCH behind Telles.
It means sacrificing our creativity spark in exchange of helping out the defence, the same defence Ole spent around 145m upon. No wonder why he's not trusted with big money anymore.

In my opinion we should go 4-3-3

------------------Henderson--------------------
AWB----Bailly-------Maguire-------Telles
--------------------Matic-------------------
------------VDB----------Bruno--------------
Greenwood---------------------Rashford----

--------------------Martial----------------------

4-4-2 diamond

----------------Henderson-------------------
AWB------Baily------Maguire-------Telles
-----------------Matic-----------------------
-----------VDB----------Pogba-----------------------
-----------------Bruno--------------------------
-------Greenwood/Rashy-----Martial--------------

Leethal

Luckily I was resigned months ago that we weren't going to get him, so didn't get onboard the Sancho train.

Saying that, I feel we blew our chance to sign him this window. His price will steadily decrease due to the continual impacts of Covid, and other clubs will be in for him at that point. Also, with our shithouse transfer window in general, there's every chance we're not going to over-achieve like we did last year and scrape top 4; which makes it even less likely we're able to make signings of his calibre.

Leethal

It means sacrificing our creativity spark in exchange of helping out the defence, the same defence Ole spent around 145m upon. No wonder why he's not trusted with big money anymore.

4-4-2 diamond

Diamond suits our personnel far more than the shite we're playing currently. Especially now we have a full back that can go forward. We have an overly excessive amount of average midfielders, so at least diamond makes use of them, I suppose. Currently having the stupid amount of midfielders we have fighting over 2 spots is ridiculous; especially when Ole is hesitant to drop Pogba - despite his woeful form. So that leaves one spot, which needs to be a defensive minded midfielder, to make up for Pogba's lack of defensive capability.

Diamond lets us play Pogba forever, (which seems to be the case anyway), while letting us play other players that can actually have an impact in midfield.

tenpoless

No 6-pack, just 2Pac
Supports
4-4-2 classic

I don't have any juice left in me, time to retire as a muppet..

Tincanalley

Turns player names into a crappy conversation
It’s like a forced hostage statement, contradictory and full of confusion. “This is not the first time they have abandoned a significant move because they felt it would be financially prudent” - should not that read “because they felt it would NOT be financially prudent to pursue it”?

UNITED ACADEMY

Supports
Erik ten Hag
Unless if he’s available below 90m next year which he won’t be, we should move on. Centre back & midfield to replace Matić or even Pogba (1.5 years left contract) is also priority next year.

Stacks

NOONE is better than Kane bro. Maybe Lewa. they are the benchmark.
Shame the journos can't shut the feck up. It was the same crap all last year if we get CL football Sancho will come and all this rubbish and we all know how that ended.

I'll say what I've said since day one Jadon Sancho will never be a man utd player.

For a minute when everyone reported personal terms were agreed I got sucked in but then I saw the €120m fee and knew this will never happen. If we had decent owners we could have had both him and Haaland in our team now but instead we are stuck with the charlatan Glazers and ended up with 2 unknown 18 year olds instead.
Bro, the deals were unreasonable. Why did no big clubs sign them at the time then? Do other big clubs not have decent owners? Y'all obsessed. There could be truth that Harlaand wanted release clause or agents wanted huge commissions. Everyone and anyone would step away hence why they at Dortmund.

wolvored

4-4-2 diamond

We have let in 11goals in 3games I think he will want to stop that being 14/15 in 4 and that's why I think he will add the extra body in defence

Unless if he’s available below 90m next year which he won’t be, we should move on. Centre back & midfield to replace Matić or even Pogba (1.5 years left contract) is also priority next year.
He could have a mediocre season and we might start to see the real effects of covid come through.

I think there’s more chance his price will decrease next year, than increase.

If you look at what clubs spent, the PL was down 7%, and if ie wasn’t for Chelsea’s transfer ban, that’s difference would have been far higher (they would have spent more last year, and less this year).

Every other big league has seen dramatic decreases in transfer spending.

devilish

We have let in 11goals in 3games I think he will want to stop that being 14/15 in 4 and that's why I think he will add the extra body in defence
That might suggest the need to change coaches or the manager in question as well. You don't spend 145m in defence only to add more bodies at the back else they get ridiculed.