g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Jamie Vardy - Manchester United considering move according to The Athletic/Adam Crafton

Rockets Redglare

Would have taken him 5 years ago.
His pace alone was frightening
Yeah he was easily good enough for one of the top teams at his peak, and he hasn’t really slowed down since they won the league.

The 15 goals in 25 games he got last season is a really good return for any striker, but you just know we’d sign him and he’d take an absolute nosedive.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
Yeah he was easily good enough for one of the top teams at his peak, and he hasn’t really slowed down since they won the league.

The 15 goals in 25 games he got last season is a really good return for any striker, but you just know we’d sign him and he’d take an absolute nosedive.
I'm not concerned over him losing his form but he is ripe for injuries at his age and play style.

Glorio

I just think Man United's chaotic summer has broken the usually dependable Athletic :(

André Dominguez

Supports
Benfica, Académica
This is a panic transfer if it happens. It might work this season, but it's clearly an expensive quick fix.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
Feckin Dad's Army. From having one of the youngest teams/squads in the league to one of the oldest within 2-3 yrs.

poleglass red

I'd take him. Since Lingard left, we need a replacement, in the most smackable face dept.

Truth_hurts

Supports
Forest
A player like Vardy, who wears his heart on his sleeve and would die for the cause would be a smart signing for the short team.

Him and Elanga would press. That would only need one of Rashford, Martial or Sancho need to pull their finger out of their bum.

AbusementPark

Operates the Unfairest Wheel
For his work rate alone, would be the perfect forward for high pressing, not sure how his legs are, always run our defence ragged.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
What is it with the old strikers. When’s the last time we signed a young striker? The last few have been like 32 plus.

SATA

What is it with the old strikers. When’s the last time we signed a young striker? The last few have been like 32 plus.
We recently had one from the academy and he was pretty good, so we brought in Cavani to mentor him as he progresses. What we didn’t know was that he did some inexcusable things and he can’t play football again

Ted Lasso

If Ronaldo leaves, we probably couldn't find another replacement guareunteed to grab important goals for us. He's still got a good few seasons in him.

RedOrange

United's transfer strategy seems to limit the club to buying "big names" and "established players". The only strikers falling into this category are, by definition, mostly already at top clubs who are not inclined to let go of them while they're at their physical peaks. Getting a class striker younger than 32 usually requires either paying a huge transfer fee or buying them before they're fully proven (and thus accepting the risk that they might not fulfill their potential). It also helps to have a decent scouting network and a DoF that will actually listen to their suggestions, one or both of which United appears to be lacking.

That's the uncharitable explanation. The charitable one is that over the last 6-8 years United had some talented young forward players with possibly world class potential in Rashford, Martial and Greenwood. The three of them have failed to realize their perceived potential for various reasons, but if you think you've got a 21 year old potential star forward (or 3) in your club and you want to give them significant playing time, then buying an older player who's still effective but only on reduced minutes/matches is a decent option for squad cover.

DJ_21

We recently had one from the academy and he was pretty good, so we brought in Cavani to mentor him as he progresses. What we didn’t know was that he did some inexcusable things and he can’t play football again
That doesn’t count though… we didn’t buy him. This club don’t plan for the future we just sign a bunch of OAP

united_99

Takes pleasure in other people's pain
Our interpretation of the strategy to sign “the right player” has been very disturbing lately. So many below average players and/or just not the right characters we have been linked to.

Red00012

Strikers signed since 2016
Zlatan
Sanchez
Lukaku
Ighalo
Cavani
Ronaldo

Lukaku has the been the only striker we’ve signed that was under 30 in 6 years

Red Shorts

Forrest Gimp
We've done our best to get rid of the snakes in the dressing room, and then bringing him will open up a whole new mouthpiece of gossip amongst the dressing room from Rebekah :lol: .

We do love our near-retirement strikers so this wouldnt surprise me. 5 years ago this would have been a class signing.

DJ_21

Strikers signed since 2016
Zlatan
Sanchez
Lukaku
Ighalo
Cavani
Ronaldo

Lukaku has the been the only striker we’ve signed that was under 30 in 6 years
Exactly my point and we wonder why we’re having to buy strikers nearly every window…

Ted Lasso

If there's anyone chatting sh*t that needs to get banged, it's our own squad ... along with Casameiro we could use another hard man to whip the babies into line.

Bulldog United

I'm not completely against depending on getting other deals done. I think he'd work very well in a forward pairing with Mbappe.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
Easily great replacement for aging Ronaldo who is a terrible fit and worse player. Even if this was just for this season we need a dynmaic player who can press and Vardy has some legs left at least for a season or two. If it was 15m on 2 year contract, we have got nothing to lose, he will guarantee 15 goals and progressive play form the front. With 5 sub rule we can also manage his minutes well.

If it doesn't work out he will leave in two years. Ronaldo will most certainly leave next season or hopefully this season as well, so we need to replace him as a squad player..

For Leicester it makes sense too, they are a midtable club now, it's a great time to start rebuilding, they could reinvest the money and wages into some more perspective striker and Rodgers knows how to implement new players into the squad quite quickly.

Slimchance to happen this though as don't think Vardy would come here, he;s that type of player. would be fun to reject Arsenal and come here though.

Poborsky's hair

Supports
Bohemians 1905
We've done our best to get rid of the snakes in the dressing room, and then bringing him will open up a whole new mouthpiece of gossip amongst the dressing room from Rebekah :lol: .

We do love our near-retirement strikers so this wouldnt surprise me. 5 years ago this would have been a class signing.
It's a good short term solution. The so called old strikers are still good enough although on limited legs. The right time to sell/generate last money from these players, instead of just letting them retire there or leave for free. Rather this kind of transfer than buying and above average striker for double or tripple the money. There is a reall lack of quality for strikers out there so at the very least we would have a EPL superproven one with the right attitude and easy replacement for Cavani and Ronaldo... Much better fit than Ronaldo for ETH

Judge Red

Don't Call Me Douglas
Zlatan and Cavani were great for a season. You can make up your own mind about what Ronaldo did for his own stats vs dressing room harmony but it wasn’t his age that turned everything to shit.

Adding Vardy to the list says all you need to know about our scouts but that’s where we’re at. It’s another source of hilarity for rival fans. I don’t even like Vardy. Wait, I started this post trying to talk myself into such a move but now I’ve talked myself out of it again.