Jamie Vardy - Manchester United considering move according to The Athletic/Adam Crafton

Zed 101

I don't want to disrespect Vardy as a player, I think he is under rated especially for England, however if this is in anyway true it is a damning indictment of how much trouble the club is really in, absolute shocker

TheRedHearted

There are tens of thousands of players out there to choose from. Im sure there are plenty of Chicharitos and Solskjaers out there waiting to be uncovered if we were hiring competent people to do so.
This is a very illogical post. Tens of thousands? 546 players in the premier league, 600 in championship. If you think we’ll find talent in second division leagues around France and Germany it’s a no, so looking at their second division is off.

What the issue is there’s more teams now who make huge signings, the talent pool is way smaller than the 90s. We aren’t one of few teams willing to spend big anymore. West ham has out spent us as of late.
Completely agree with this.

But, we also need to be doing more with the players when they do get here. The coaching and development needs to be better. That's the only way to entice talented younger players, with the promise or hope that we'll be able to improve them and make them better at what they do. Maybe we need to be looking at things outside of football too, so that we're setting these players up for life. It's got to be about more than just wages. I feel like this is all we can offer at the moment.

Nothing against Vardy, as he's a quality striker and will go down as a PL legend for what he's done for Leicester. But, the age is too big a factor to ignore. If he was about 5 or 6 years younger, then this would be a great player to go after. We can't be seen as one last big salary for him.
That’s why we brought in Ten Hag. He will develop people

Mindhunter

While I agree that chasing Vardy shows the world how clueless our management is, we must understand that there are mitigating circumstances. We only have two weeks to get a striker in and the market is complex as confirmed my several journos.

How can we get a proven goalscorer so quickly without having to pay over the odds? Ronaldo has lost his will to stay at the club and doesn't fit into ETH's philosophy. Martial is a perma-crock who can't be relied on. The false 9 experiment unravelled spectacularly. What else can we do now?

This is the time to panic and just get someone in before the window. When we have already lost our trousers, we shouldn't worry about losing our shirt.

George The Best

I don't want to disrespect Vardy as a player, I think he is under rated especially for England, however if this is in anyway true it is a damning indictment of how much trouble the club is really in, absolute shocker
It’s just because Ronaldo wants out and we need a ready made goal scorer fast, for this season. No time to develop one or take a risk. We’d better make sure we identify a premium talent for next season though.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
Glazers need to stop graverobbing for players.

May as well start bringing people back from retirement at this point.

Knux

Supports
AIK Stockholm
Replacing one 36 year old with another 36 year old. Sounds like a very United thing to do.

Retirement FC

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
I'm baffled as to how you think Ronaldo can still play wide left at 37. He never does any running. He'd be a total and utter disaster there now for any club, not just us.
Ronaldo is a wide left forward and not a left winger. He can remain up top on the left and do a limited amount of pressing/closing-channels. At his best he has always played off another striker - Rooney, Benzema, Morata. A more accurate picture would be:
----- Ronaldo
---------------------------Vardy ----------------- Sancho
----------------------------AM
LB-----------DM---------------CM/DM ---------RB
---------------CB----------------CB
The DM to be on Ronaldo's side to cover any poor tracking back.

Still think he might leave too
No one is taking him because of his wages and ageism. I think he will remain.

Last edited:

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Ronaldo is a wide left forward and not a left winger. He can remain up top on the left and do a limited amount of pressing/closing-channels. At his best he has always played off another striker - Rooney, Benzema, Morata.

No one is taking him because of his wages and ageism. I think he will remain.
He could go back to Sporting and take a paycut. He is worth over half a billion quid ffs.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
Ignoring how fecking incompetent we are to even be in this situation, on a purely basic level I’d take him. He’d probably get more goals than Martial would as our 9, and we’d have the added bonus of those goals not being scored for a top 8 rival.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
He could go back to Sporting and take a paycut. He is worth over half a billion quid ffs.
Lets be real ... nobody thinks like that ... everyone wants more money. Same can be said about FdJ - he will earn plenty in his career and already is a multi-millionaire so why doesn't he forgo what Barca owes him. Yet everyone is sympathetic to FdJ.

Gopher Brown

This is a very illogical post. Tens of thousands? 546 players in the premier league, 600 in championship. If you think we’ll find talent in second division leagues around France and Germany it’s a no, so looking at their second division is off.

What the issue is there’s more teams now who make huge signings, the talent pool is way smaller than the 90s. We aren’t one of few teams willing to spend big anymore. West ham has out spent us as of late.

It’s not illogical. All these top strikers started out somewhere, made their name and then moved to top clubs. There are loads of 22 year old strikers who are waiting to be discovered. We can’t seem to do this.

Castia

Sad thing is he'd comfortably be our best attacker after Ronaldo. That's how shit we are.

I do respect Vardy by the way, his career has been incredible to go from non league to a top PL striker but we shouldn’t be in for a 36 year old Vardy.

FrankDrebin

Don't call me Shirley
Supports
USA Manchester Red Socks
Like with most of the forwards we've been linked with or signed, 2/3 years too late.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Sad thing is he'd comfortably be our best attacker after Ronaldo. That's how shit we are.
Not these days he wouldn't be.
His output has dropped a fair bit in terms of appearances and goals these last years.

Not sure what Leicester are doing this summer, shipping people and not bringing anyone in?

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Lets be real ... nobody thinks like that ... everyone wants more money. Same can be said about FdJ - he will earn plenty in his career and already is a multi-millionaire so why doesn't he forgo what Barca owes him. Yet everyone is sympathetic to FdJ.
Then I have no sympathy for him if money is his biggest motivation. He's one of the richest sports athletes of all time and his CR7 brand will go on for the rest of his life making him a billionaire one day soon.

croadyman

Can we stop calling the club a joke, this, that and the other, until we've actually signed said player you think is a joke? Not everything you read is true.

Than you for coming to my Ted talk.
Yeah does feel like every target is being slagged

Castia

Not these days he wouldn't be.
His output has dropped a fair bit in terms of appearances and goals these last years.

Not sure what Leicester are doing this summer, shipping people and not bringing anyone in?
Got 15 league goals In 25 games last season (17 total) and was 4th top scorer. Pretty mad considering he missed 13 games.

Out of all the crappy players linked I’d prefer Vardy for a season.

OleGunnar20

Disagree. Top class players are scouted out of lower divisions and obscure leagues all the time. Its how the likes of Dortmund, Ajax and Leipzig operate, along with many, many other clubs far better run than us.

And by the way at no point did I specify 'Second divisions'. How about the talent you can pick up from Eastern Europe, Portugal, Africa, South America, Scandinavia etc etc.. the world is a big place.

If you think there are no players either in the lower divisions of major leagues or morr obscure leagues such as mentioned above that will improve us right now, then I'd say it isn't me being Irrational here.

Born2Lose

2021/22 PL

Rashford Goals 4 Assists 2
Sancho Goals 3 Assists 3
Total Goals 7 Assists 5

Vardy Goals 15 Assists 9

Maybe we should just have signed him last year instead of spending £73m on another addition to Social Media FC.

Bobski

Wouldn't be a Utd Summer if they didn't sign a veteran on his last legs. Tell me, what is the defintion of insanity?

Manncunian

Losing a lot of interest in football all together now. Apathy would be the best word.

I’ve even stopped watching other PL games as what’s the point.

It’s a farce the way this club is run, we don’t stand a chance with this current hierarchy.

Worst it’s ever been. Easily.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Yes, Vardy can do that, but is that the way that Ten Hag is trying to play? On the tour it seemed like his idea was build through patient build up, not quick balls in behind. In fact, in our training drills, quick balls in behind were actively discouraged. The emphasis was on recycling possession until we had numbers in the box and could create overloads.

This, to me, all goes back to Rangnick saying the first thing you need to do is decide: How do you want to play. Once you decide that you can bring in a coach and players who can deliver that idea. If we have decided (and I'm actually not sure we have, I just think the suits followed the social media buzz around Ten Hag) that we want to be an Ajax style high pressing, high possession team, then we should be buying players who can make that happen? Why go for Vardy who will spend all game making runs in the channels that everyone in the team ignores?

We can't just keep hiring coaches and players that don't fit into any kind of coherent plan.
It would be rather nice to play (and be able to play) in more than one way. It was sticking to the same tried and failing system that got Ole into such a mess

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
It would be rather nice to play (and be able to play) in more than one way. It was sticking to the same tried and failing system that got Ole into such a mess
Not really, what killed Ole was trying to become more possession based.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Not really, what killed Ole was trying to become more possession based.
he sent out the same team to play the same way week in, week out. Yes, he made other mistakes but we were (and still are) highly predictable. He began to believe his own PR after that win in Paris

RoyH1

I think most of these transfer rumours by now are just started by agents to get a pay day. Not even our board is this random and incompetent.