Jamie Vardy - Manchester United considering move according to The Athletic/Adam Crafton

OleGunnar20

We were linked with Sesko and a lot of the CAF were against it because he weren’t ready yet
He did look promising but was horribly overpriced by all accounts, to be fair. I can see why people were nervous about that particular deal.
Such as ?
I don't know. I'm a farmer from South wales who played a bit of football manager a decade ago.

I expect one of the biggest clubs in the world however to have a better idea than me, and if the likes of Vardy & Arnautovich are the best suggestions they can come up with then we are royally screwed.

There are tens of thousands of players out there to choose from. Im sure there are plenty of Chicharitos and Solskjaers out there waiting to be uncovered if we were hiring competent people to do so.

Swedish_Plumber

I remember when we signed promising young players. Or players in their prime.

Its a better transfer that Arnautovic but then again that’s because that is decking rock bottom.

buchansleftleg

Vardy will take on that important role of "proven premier league winner" if we sell DDG. This is the sort of logic you get in a local parish council or provincial golf club, where we need to ensure we have some sort of moustachioed ex RAF bloke who can play the role of "major" in any committee meetings.

Why do I make the bad golf club analogy...because that is how the club is being run by Arnold and Murtough who come across as the sort of golf bores that infest upper management in a lot of corporations. The key difference is that in big corporations there are enough people around to actually get the job done while they drone on about "Handicaps" and "Moving forward".

You can picture the scene....on the golf course...discussing options...."What about Vardy?" Murtough pauses mid back swing...."It's so crazy....but....it .....might just work!"

Ted Lasso

He'd score goals in the Championship.
:lol: imagine that - worked all the way up to the zenith of English football and then begin to work his way down starting with us. Goals ladder. That'd make for one heck of record.

mu4c_20le

I don't know. I'm a farmer from South wales who played a bit of football manager a decade ago.

I expect one of the biggest clubs in the world however to have a better idea than me, and if the likes of Vardy & Arnautovich are the best suggestions they can come up with then we are royally screwed.

There are tens of thousands of players out there to choose from. Im sure there are plenty of Chicharitos and Solskjaers out there waiting to be uncovered if we were hiring competent people to do so.
Why take that chance when there is someone already proven right here? We had some targets and it didn't work out.

Gordon Godot

Why take that chance when there is someone already proven right here? We had some targets and it didn't work out.
Which targets were those? We were linked with one Ajax forward. Enough of signing players 35 and over, its embarrassing.

OleGunnar20

Because its the type of short termism that has left us with the squad we have now. Falcao, Ighalo, Cavani, Ronaldo, now Vardy? No, we need to look ahead, start developing players again like we used to.

These aging stars won't get us anywhere.

AmanNits04

Watch us get linked to every player possible on earth from now till the end of the window.

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Its not a question of worse targets, its a question of fit. This is Man Utd all over. Buying random good players and hoping a coach can figure out how they fit together.

How have we gone from looking for big guys who can hold the ball up and bring others into play e.g., Sesko, Kalajdzic, Arnautovic, to Jamie Vardy? Its like suggesting Milinkovic-Savic is the back up plan to De Jong. You're talking about totally different types of player.

If Ten Hag's goal was to bring a big man in to play off of, a sorta Sebastien Haller figure, then how has the club ended up looking at Vardy? It just looks chaotic and uncoordinated.
At least Vardy can run in behind - which the likes o Martial and rashford don't even seem to know exists

mitchmouse

loves to hate United.
Willing to bet Vardy would score more goals for us than Rashford and Martial combined

mu4c_20le

Because its the type of short termism that has left us with the squad we have now. Falcao, Ighalo, Cavani, Ronaldo, now Vardy? No, we need to look ahead, start developing players again like we used to.

We're not the best environment for that sort of punt right now, where every mistake is scrutinized and every point dropped is like life or death.

Superunknown

Completely agree with this.

But, we also need to be doing more with the players when they do get here. The coaching and development needs to be better. That's the only way to entice talented younger players, with the promise or hope that we'll be able to improve them and make them better at what they do. Maybe we need to be looking at things outside of football too, so that we're setting these players up for life. It's got to be about more than just wages. I feel like this is all we can offer at the moment.

Nothing against Vardy, as he's a quality striker and will go down as a PL legend for what he's done for Leicester. But, the age is too big a factor to ignore. If he was about 5 or 6 years younger, then this would be a great player to go after. We can't be seen as one last big salary for him.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
He's still a decent player, but I don't think he's the type that we'd be looking for. We seem to want more of a target man who can bring others into play, because at the moment Martial is the only one who can do that and his injury woes have been a big issue the last couple of years.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
It’s embarrassing.

Not because of Vardy as an individual because he’s a good striker and I actually quite like his shit house approach but because yet again the club doesn’t trust itself to develop a young striker and we just jump from stop gap to stop gap.

Post title winning Vardy fair enough but he’s already slowly being replaced by Daka at Leicester so this is once again plaster over the cracks.

That said if it meant getting rid of Ronaldo and having Vardy as our stop gap instead I’d marginally prefer that.

Biggest question is what happened to “the right players”?

TheLord

He will probably score the same number of goals as Ronaldo this year.
Him and Ronaldo in a classic 4-4-2 will also be interesting in that they will easily break the Premiership record for the oldest strike partnership in history. Being a club steeped in history and historical records, this is a good move by the owners.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
Don't know why we don't take a look at someone like Gouiri, young player on th cusp of making the step up, wouldn't cost a fortune and he'd be an improvement on our forwards.

Levi1

Vardy will take on that important role of "proven premier league winner" if we sell DDG. This is the sort of logic you get in a local parish council or provincial golf club, where we need to ensure we have some sort of moustachioed ex RAF bloke who can play the role of "major" in any committee meetings.

Why do I make the bad golf club analogy...because that is how the club is being run by Arnold and Murtough who come across as the sort of golf bores that infest upper management in a lot of corporations. The key difference is that in big corporations there are enough people around to actually get the job done while they drone on about "Handicaps" and "Moving forward".

You can picture the scene....on the golf course...discussing options...."What about Vardy?" Murtough pauses mid back swing...."It's so crazy....but....it .....might just work!"
:):):):):)

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
At least Vardy can run in behind - which the likes o Martial and rashford don't even seem to know exists
Yes, Vardy can do that, but is that the way that Ten Hag is trying to play? On the tour it seemed like his idea was build through patient build up, not quick balls in behind. In fact, in our training drills, quick balls in behind were actively discouraged. The emphasis was on recycling possession until we had numbers in the box and could create overloads.

This, to me, all goes back to Rangnick saying the first thing you need to do is decide: How do you want to play. Once you decide that you can bring in a coach and players who can deliver that idea. If we have decided (and I'm actually not sure we have, I just think the suits followed the social media buzz around Ten Hag) that we want to be an Ajax style high pressing, high possession team, then we should be buying players who can make that happen? Why go for Vardy who will spend all game making runs in the channels that everyone in the team ignores?

We can't just keep hiring coaches and players that don't fit into any kind of coherent plan.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
Ronaldo ---- Vardy ---- Sancho
Makes a lot of sense even if its a 2 year contract. Works hard, still a good performer, despite a difficult start to last season he ended up being the joint 6th highest goal scorer. Will press better than Rashford and allow Ronaldo to play in his favored position.

Levi1

Always liked Vardy since that game against us under V. Gaal. And agree with those above who point out that his running and passion are just what we're lacking. Incidentally, our troubles began more or less when we sold that winger to Leeds, whose name I now forget.

Nou_Camp99

what would Souness do?
Ronaldo ---- Vardy ---- Sancho
Makes a lot of sense even if its a 2 year contract. Works hard, still a good performer, despite a difficult start to last season he ended up being the joint 6th highest goal scorer. Will press better than Rashford and allow Ronaldo to play in his favored position.
I'm baffled as to how you think Ronaldo can still play wide left at 37. He never does any running. He'd be a total and utter disaster there now for any club, not just us.

Still think he might leave too

LARulz

I am not happy we've resorted again to someone who is on the wrong side of 30 but he is still a good player

I of course would rather take someone younger and for future but we are literally beggers at this point so not in a position to dictate

Of course, this is if true and I am not convinced it is. Press can make up whatever they want and we'll buy it

SATA

He’s coming here if we want him. No way he’s rejecting United. Like Eriksen, it’s their last chance to play for a big club. And Vardy is still a good player who gives 100% even at 35

r1z3mu

I think Ibra is also available. Cavani might give it another chance.
Let's just rename our club to "Pension United".

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
Vardy a few years ago was up there with the best strikers in the PL, his big game record completely ridiculous. Not sure how much of that is left now his legs are gone, though

OleGunnar20

We're not the best environment for that sort of punt right now, where every mistake is scrutinized and every point dropped is like life or death.
Perhaps, but I think developing a stable side of hungry players at a good age is the path we need to take to get back on an even keel. We need to start the work sometime, might aswell start now in my opinion.
Completely agree with this.

But, we also need to be doing more with the players when they do get here. The coaching and development needs to be better. That's the only way to entice talented younger players, with the promise or hope that we'll be able to improve them and make them better at what they do. Maybe we need to be looking at things outside of football too, so that we're setting these players up for life. It's got to be about more than just wages. I feel like this is all we can offer at the moment.

Nothing against Vardy, as he's a quality striker and will go down as a PL legend for what he's done for Leicester. But, the age is too big a factor to ignore. If he was about 5 or 6 years younger, then this would be a great player to go after. We can't be seen as one last big salary for him.
Yep, agreed. When was the last time we made a player better for the long term? Everything we touch at the moment turns to shite :lol: