January transfer window - too early to talk about it?

RooneyLegend

Maddison still hasn't proven that he can score enough to be a key part of a dominant attack. I'd rather we get Alli cause when he plays as a second striker he certainly scores goals.

Chairman Steve

With how light we’ll potentially be for attacking options if Sanchez goes, it does raise a point over the January window. We’re a major injury to Martial or Rashford away from playing 17 year old Greenwood and unless we hit those ridiculous low odds that he’s going to do an Mbappe, then we’re in trouble.

Yagami

Good post resistant
I don't think it's too early, no. Look how light we are in midfield and attack. Our entire team depends on Pogba, Martial and Rashford producing something out of nothing, and none of them are consistent themselves.

I think at the very, very least we should look to bring in a good quality CM just so that we can get Pogba some support and allow him to get further forwards like in Ole's first games here.

ayushreddevil9

Foootball hinders the adrenaline of transfers.
People shouldn't expect anything in January. Not from this club atleast.

NoPace

The only thing I can really see is that with one of James or Rashford doing well out wide but Lingard and Mata doing poorly as our #10s and with central midfield still having no depth with one of Fred or Matic now gone, we get a player we need, either that's us spending 10-15M more on a long term solution we like (like 75M for Maddison or Milenkovic-Savic or whoever instead of say 60 in the summer) to compensate a team for blowing up their season, or maybe we can get a 10 who isn't playing much for another big team that just wants to get off his wages and sell in the summer, maybe Rakitic falls behind other Barca options, especially if they end up playing 4-2-3-1 to get all those attackers in. He'd be a nice fit here as either a 10 like he was at Sevilla against weaker teams/at home and/or playing alongside Pogba in a 4-3-3 or diamond.

Kemizee

Why does it matter if it's too early or late? We aren't buying anyone in January. The Glazers are not releasing a dime for any January purchase. They reluctantly do that in the summer never mind January. Brace yourselves for another long, traumatic season.

NJM78

I hope if we have any ambitions of signing players in this January window we start working on the deals this morning and not a day later.

Does anyone believe we will sign anyone? We struggle when we have 3 months. Plus depending on the no doubt poor league position we wil be in buly then, why will we be an attractive proposition to join mid season? Also the fees would be extortionate and the club will walk away like in the summer.

I would say yes it is too early or even pointless full stop mentioning the January window as I'd wager we will sign no one unless a major emergency.

oz insomniac

You do understand that Woodward is responsible for the transfer window, so expect rumours and teasers and absolutely nothing done.

Whilst the Glazers shop window dummy remains as DOF and CEO, it's about share value and keeping expenses down. It is so frustrating to watch how poorly the club is run and how easy it has become to switch off enthusiasm.

Devil may care

Getting players in January is difficult and if you look at the two key positoins we need them in then it's slim pickings. We wont address RW until the summer when we'll know for sure if we can get Sancho, for what it's worth (maybe nothing) Howson said on his match review show the other day that Sancho wanted to come this summer but we wouldn't pay Dortmund's asking price.

CM - The options are thinner than the Hadid sisters, if Bayern don't pull the trigger on Roca we should get him in January, his €40M buyout is easy business. Juve are apparently open to selling Pjanic, question marks over whether he'd suit the PL and even bigger ones over whether he'd want to come here. Beyond that I guess Barca might have pushed Rakitic to the verge of wanting out, but if so I'd try to get him on loan as I suspect he'd only be coming here for money if we signed him, where as this way with a loan he can come here and put himself in the shop window for the summer.

- Personally I'd do what @LuckyScout78 suggests regarding Havertz, for those that want Maddison Leicester wont sell him in January as they have top 4 ambitions and don't need the money, and Eriksen will be free in January to negotiate his move in the summer for a big sign on fee somewhere in Europe, Spurs wont sell him to us. The only realistic option for January in this position is Bruno Fernandes and my opinion on him hasn't changed, I'd rather just give Gomes the games.

flappyjay

Maddison still hasn't proven that he can score enough to be a key part of a dominant attack. I'd rather we get Alli cause when he plays as a second striker he certainly scores goals.
We need him to be more of a creator. The front three are the ones who we would depend on for goals.

RooneyLegend

We need him to be more of a creator. The front three are the ones who we would depend on for goals.
We're going to need an upgrade in wide players though cause this current bunch wont br scoring consistently anytime soon.

Offsideagain

You would already have a few players in your sights if we were a well run club, but it’ll be the usual Media driven crap where we are signing x,y and z but y’s girlfriend wants to go to London, x wants too much money and z will use us to get a better deal at whatever club he’s at.

buckooo1978

it's not too early to talk about transfers....we should be working on something behind the scenes

we are incredibly light in midfield and attack which has led to the suggestion that we could bring in someone like Llorente on a free. Sounds crazy but if Rashford gets a knock we would be relying on a 17 year old as a lone striker in attack which is insane. We should shift Alexis regardless if we have an opportunity

in terms of signings we won't get players from CL clubs in knockouts, teams in contention of trophies or teams in danger.

We could target contract rebels or players from teams motivated to sell. Teams we persuade by paying a January tax.

It's all well and good waiting for a Sancho but can you sign a player like that when you arent in the CL?

Wait to next Summer and you could be replacing Pogba, De Gea and Matic as well as bringing in the 3/4 quality players we need now

Im red2

Prophet of Doom
In the begining(time), God created the Heavens(spa
You do understand that Woodward is responsible for the transfer window, so expect rumours and teasers and absolutely nothing done.

Whilst the Glazers shop window dummy remains as DOF and CEO, it's about share value and keeping expenses down. It is so frustrating to watch how poorly the club is run and how easy it has become to switch off enthusiasm.
Best analysis I have heard in some time

Alabaster Codify7

Everyone knows the January window is a ripoff and rarely anyone does business, so if we have left things too late in the summer we can have no gripes about being rinsed by the selling club. We won't be signing anyone - my bet is if we're struggling, we'll leak a few briefings about some big name or another which will then peter out to 'this will now be a summer priority' type talk as the window draws to a close.

TRUERED89

Of course the club should be planning for January and next Summer already. This is what confuses me ever year. We know what our glaring weakness are - what are we waiting for? We should have all of our Scouts our scouring the world for players. Ed should already be contacting clubs trying to tee up deals.

People misunderstand the transfer window. You CAN sign as many players as you like outside of the window. You just can’t register them for competitions until the window opens. Point being, why is it we seem to sit on our hands until the windows open and THEN start talking about transfers? Wouldn’t it be nice if the Summer window opened and Ed announced four signings? Why not?
Yep totally agree, why can Ed only negotiate deals when the window is open, what does he do during the many months in-between!? Why cant he open talks beforehand with players! It's quite strange to say the least, especially when the guy boasts about how other clubs cant even dream of doing what United can do in the market :confused:.

Bestietom

It's never too early for Woodward, the length he takes to get a transfer over the line he could start now for next summer.
Anyway scouts and the club should have players lined up before Christmas and negotiations should be all ready to go.

romufc

For anyone thinking we will be signing a whole hose of players in Jan, be prepared to be disappointed

The Caf seems to only look forward to transfer windows and talk hypothetical's.

The current transfer window has only just shut.

Bestietom

For anyone thinking we will be signing a whole hose of players in Jan, be prepared to be disappointed

But we all know that Ole was left short this summer and we are HOPING that we will bring in at least a Midfielder in January, and maybe Santa will give us a striker also. After all he was PROMISED a replacement for Herrera and Lukaku. But then we have been PROMISED a lot from Woodward the last few years.

steve.crowford

When throwing the names of the players in this thread, just remember that european cup teams will not sell their leaders in winter. :cool:

romufc

But we all know that Ole was left short this summer and we are HOPING that we will bring in at least a Midfielder in January, and maybe Santa will give us a striker also. After all he was PROMISED a replacement for Herrera and Lukaku. But then we have been PROMISED a lot from Woodward the last few years.
Woodward is a fraud. Promises but never delivers.

SaintMuppet

Someone who understands.

Some of you guys really think we are gonna go sign players in Jan after we have just ignored this summer transfer window???

The ownership have no interest in spending money, get used to it.

romufc

Someone who understands.

Some of you guys really think we are gonna go sign players in Jan after we have just ignored this summer transfer window???

The ownership have no interest in spending money, get used to it.
We just went through a window where nothing was happening. January is one of the hardest times to buy? What are some fans expecting? £200m spent?

I wouldnt be surprised if we waited till the summer.

charlenefan

Far less insightful than the other Charley
Given most of our outs are seemingly happening once our window is shut why couldn't there be additions in January? As should always be the case if the right players are available it doesn't matter if you bringing them in in January or the summer. The only reason to possibly rule out January signings is because generally the right players aren't available then

Organic Potatoes

Supports
Colorado Rapids
Any long-term injury to one of our two crucial Frenchmen would necessitate a panic buy in the winter.

Last edited:

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Not expecting one single firework in January, but we can still continue offloading anti footballers from the squad, which ultimately is a right thing to do.

SaintMuppet

Any long-term injury to one of our two crucial Frenchman would necessitate a panic buy in the winter.
You would think so would you not?

But by the same token having no RW and hardly any midfield depth would necessitate buying this summer but it simply did not happen. I would counsel everyone to not start holding their breath for any spending under any confitions.

ILC

No.

First, let me say I love Ole. As a player and as a person, but it's painfully obvious he's just completely out of his depth as a manager. I can't see him being at the helm after these next 10 games. Hard schedule and he'll be gone IMO before it's done.

Throw all the money at Allegri. I know it's popular to point out how it hasn't worked with a proven manager like Mourinho. To that I'd say two things.

1) Mourinho's ability as a coach and tactician wasn't the issue. He still won trophies and in hindsight that 2nd position wasn't so bad anymore.
2) Mourinho is very stubborn, abrasive, confrontational and that doesn't fly anymore with these players. He likes to challenge people, keep them on their toes, but they obviously require a different style of man management.

Allegri would be the best of both worlds. One of his main strengths is man management, everyone points out how great he is with people and making everyone happy in a big squad of WC players. But he's also a WC coach and tactician, extremely flexible and works with what he has. He wouldn't need to spend half a billion pounds to rebuild the team.

Cavani and James Rodriguez contracts are expiring next summer so they can sign contracts with other teams in January. Thiago Silva too. This team needs some experience and strong character, leaders. Try to get Chilwell for LB position. A DM like William Carvalho, Danilo Pereira etc. And a nice CM like Van De Beek maybe.

De Gea

AWB-Silva-Maguire-Chilwell

Van de Beek-Carvalho-Pogba

James R.

Cavani-Martial
That's 100 million tops. Nice team, mix of youth and experience, WC manager on the bench. Build from that.

Fridge chutney

This year is, in my mind, clearly a write-off year. I think the board knows it , Ole knows it, and the fans will realize it.

We've shed a huge amount of bloated salary and deadwood. I imagine (or hope) that there will be heavy investment next year, seeing more young, non-mercrnary type players filling the ranks. It will be a slow build but this year will be a rough one for RedCafe. And the investment won't come in January, it will come next summer.

I think Ole will remain at the helm regardless of what happens.

Alabaster Codify7

This year is, in my mind, clearly a write-off year. I think the board knows it , Ole knows it, and the fans will realize it.

We've shed a huge amount of bloated salary and deadwood. I imagine (or hope) that there will be heavy investment next year, seeing more young, non-mercrnary type players filling the ranks. It will be a slow build but this year will be a rough one for RedCafe. And the investment won't come in January, it will come next summer.

I think Ole will remain at the helm regardless of what happens.

Invest in who, exactly? We struggled to attract certain players this summer, how do you think we're going to fare next summer with no CL football again and probably a worse season than last season - plus, if that's the case, Ole's job will be under scrutiny and players are not going to want to come and play for him.

Jadon Sancho is an absolute pipe-dream. if we finish 6th or so again this year, Sancho would laugh in our faces - he'll have the pick of the worlds best clubs.

We'll end up spunking £60m on Sean Longstaff and other 'British youngsters'.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
No.

First, let me say I love Ole. As a player and as a person, but it's painfully obvious he's just completely out of his depth as a manager. I can't see him being at the helm after these next 10 games. Hard schedule and he'll be gone IMO before it's done.

Throw all the money at Allegri. I know it's popular to point out how it hasn't worked with a proven manager like Mourinho. To that I'd say two things.

1) Mourinho's ability as a coach and tactician wasn't the issue. He still won trophies and in hindsight that 2nd position wasn't so bad anymore.
2) Mourinho is very stubborn, abrasive, confrontational and that doesn't fly anymore with these players. He likes to challenge people, keep them on their toes, but they obviously require a different style of man management.

Allegri would be the best of both worlds. One of his main strengths is man management, everyone points out how great he is with people and making everyone happy in a big squad of WC players. But he's also a WC coach and tactician, extremely flexible and works with what he has. He wouldn't need to spend half a billion pounds to rebuild the team.

Cavani and James Rodriguez contracts are expiring next summer so they can sign contracts with other teams in January. Thiago Silva too. This team needs some experience and strong character, leaders. Try to get Chilwell for LB position. A DM like William Carvalho, Danilo Pereira etc. And a nice CM like Van De Beek maybe.

De Gea

AWB-Silva-Maguire-Chilwell

Van de Beek-Carvalho-Pogba

James R.

Cavani-Martial
That's 100 million tops. Nice team, mix of youth and experience, WC manager on the bench. Build from that.
:lol::lol: