January transfer window - too early to talk about it?

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
I think we should get a MF in January. Then another in the summer along with a RW and 10.

JoaquinJoaquin

Invest in who, exactly? We struggled to attract certain players this summer, how do you think we're going to fare next summer with no CL football again and probably a worse season than last season - plus, if that's the case, Ole's job will be under scrutiny and players are not going to want to come and play for him.

Jadon Sancho is an absolute pipe-dream. if we finish 6th or so again this year, Sancho would laugh in our faces - he'll have the pick of the worlds best clubs.

We'll end up spunking £60m on Sean Longstaff and other 'British youngsters'.
Totally agree. If we finish 9th or 10th then you have the likes of James Maddison even considering whether he wants to sign for you. I really worry for our midfield rebuild next Summer because we will lose Pogba aswell, and we aren't getting any players of his calibre any time soon (regardless of what you think about him).

Plus, with this clear out how do we know the Glazers will re-invest that money back into the squad? They have already cut Transfer budgets the last 2 years. I honestly think they are in asset stripping mode now.

ZenMaster Coltrane

If you take the bullshit stuff, which reads as briefing the press, that the club think they need 4 transfer windows before the squad is competitive again (via ESPN)...the most likely scenario is 4 summers because they've done feck all in the January windows. I'm not sure why people think they'd be able to even identify the positions needed to challenge for the leauge, the players needed for those positions (and the ones for those players who will inevitably depart) and then bring those players in under an actual top class manager. EW can't even do any one of those competently, all the while refusing to shell out for an empowered DOF.

They're right up there with the New York Knicks for worst-run big franchise in the world of sport.

JoaquinJoaquin

If you take the bullshit stuff that reads as briefing the press that the club think they need 4 transfer windows before the squad is competitive again (via ESPN)...the most likely scenario is 4 summers because they've done feck all in the January windows. I'm not sure why people think they'd be able to even identify the positions needed, the players needed for those positions (and the ones for those players who will inevitably depart) and then bring those players in. EW can't even do any one of those competently, all the while refusing to shell out for an empowered DOF.

They're right up there with the New York Knicks for worst-run big franchise in the world of sport.
And both are my two sports teams :(

Fridge chutney

Invest in who, exactly? We struggled to attract certain players this summer, how do you think we're going to fare next summer with no CL football again and probably a worse season than last season - plus, if that's the case, Ole's job will be under scrutiny and players are not going to want to come and play for him.

Jadon Sancho is an absolute pipe-dream. if we finish 6th or so again this year, Sancho would laugh in our faces - he'll have the pick of the worlds best clubs.

We'll end up spunking £60m on Sean Longstaff and other 'British youngsters'.
I can't tell you who exactly because I'm not Mystic Meg, but it's clear to me that we're going after a different profile of player than we have done since 2013, so time will tell.

romufc

I don't know why this is considered funny. Woodward has spent more on wages and transfers than anyone else other than City since he joined United.
It is funny because it is January, not many clubs do business then.

January buy for players Manutd want means we will be doing the same thing we did few years ago, buy for the sake of buying.

The answer to all problems is not next transfer window which so many fans think it is.

Sterling Archer

I don't know why this is considered funny. Woodward has spent more on wages and transfers than anyone else other than City since he joined United.
I absolutely detest this point. The problem is not the number of zeros spent, it's the quality and value of the purchases and more importantly it's transfers the manager explicitly wanted versus Ed wanting.

Like this window - Ole said he wants a replacement for strikers sold, an attacking mid and Longstaff. Ed vetoed Longstaff because he doesn't think he's good enough (common practice for Ed..see Maguire). Ed vetoed Bruno because he didn't want to spend on someone he didn't consider a galactico name (see press release BS about passing). And then toying around with Mandzukic, Dembele (see Lyon presidents incredulousness at how we approached them about it) and then none in the end.

Ed Woodward has wrecked our transfers and naively or arrogantly, depending on perspective, sabotaged his managers. Ignoring the numbers the sum of the parts is a train wreck.

passing-wind

I think it depends, if we are at a blow out phase by January and the glazers back Ole then I reckon they'll spend some money to sure up the team for a better finale to the season.

I think there's also a big big possibility that if Ole is struggling towards January they will close the finances off and begin the process of looking for a new candidate. When you consider some of the manner in which previous managers have been released the board are slightly cut throat, I'm seeing lots of posts and notions in the media that Ole will be given a few windows, if we finish 6 - 10th I don't see the board will keep him.

Fridge chutney

It is funny because it is January, not many clubs do business then.

January buy for players Manutd want means we will be doing the same thing we did few years ago, buy for the sake of buying.

The answer to all problems is not next transfer window which so many fans think it is.
I agree with you there, I don't think we'll spend in January. My earlier point is that this year will rough and i don't think investment will come until next summer.
I absolutely detest this point. The problem is not the number of zeros spent, it's the quality and value of the purchases and more importantly it's transfers the manager explicitly wanted versus Ed wanting.

Like this window - Ole said he wants a replacement for strikers sold, an attacking mid and Longstaff. Ed vetoed Longstaff because he doesn't think he's good enough (common practice for Ed..see Maguire). Ed vetoed Bruno because he didn't want to spend on someone he didn't consider a galactico name (see press release BS about passing). And then toying around with Mandzukic, Dembele (see Lyon presidents incredulousness at how we approached them about it) and then none in the end.

Ed Woodward has wrecked our transfers and naively or arrogantly, depending on perspective, sabotaged his managers. Ignoring the numbers the sum of the parts is a train wreck.
It's important to decouple the willingness to invest, which evidently exists, with the other failings of management and the board, which is the very poor investment, lack of direction, no technical/sporting/footba director, etc. There are structures that should exist at the club before the next round of heavy investment materializes to make sure we don't spend blindly or badly again, otherwise we'll run into the same problems that we currently face over and over again.

Velvet Revolver

I think it depends, if we are at a blow out phase by January and the glazers back Ole then I reckon they'll spend some money to sure up the team for a better finale to the season.

I think there's also a big big possibility that if Ole is struggling towards January they will close the finances off and begin the process of looking for a new candidate. When you consider some of the manner in which previous managers have been released the board are slightly cut throat, I'm seeing lots of posts and notions in the media that Ole will be given a few windows, if we finish 6 - 10th I don't see the board will keep him.
Deja Vu

Sterling Archer

It's important to decouple the willingness to invest, which evidently exists, with the other failings of management and the board, which is the very poor investment, lack of direction, no technical/sporting/footba director, etc. There are structures that should exist at the club before the next round of heavy investment materializes to make sure we don't spend blindly or badly again, otherwise we'll run into the same problems that we currently face over and over again.
Absolutely. That's why I wish we wouldn't get drawn into the back and forth about spending.

Roboc7

More likely that players will be sold than signed. Think have to try and be active as there is already loads to do for next summer so any kind of head start would help.

But it’s all in Woodward’s hands so most likely lots of leaks and then nothing, the mythical DOF or whatever we are recruiting for still hasn’t and surely won’t arrive to provide any assistance.

dev1l

De Gea rejects contract!? & will leave in January! Is this BS?
Depends on how much we offered and how much he wants.
There were rumours of a 5 year contract earlier on. I don't think that s a particularly bright idea.
Lately he s been making lot of mistakes and if he continues doing those, then we would be stuck with him for 5 years or forced to so a Sanchez.
Also, I suspect that a long term contract will make "too relaxed" and his form suffers.
Imo 2 yrs + 1 optional would be the best for the club.

Amerifan

We have a few more players that seem targeted to be sold, but if we let any go in January we are only kidding ourselves about squad depth. I doubt we’ll buy anyone, given what a crummy time to buy it historically has been. I could see us swapping DDG for a quality player, if he still hasn’t signed. But unless we’re bottom half and there’s a revolt from the fans, I think Ole will have to work with what he’s got until summer and reinforcements come in.

RedDevilRoshi

I’ll be very surprised if we sign anyone in January. As we know, many clubs are very reluctant to sell their best players halfway through a season unless we offer a gigantic amount of money which I can’t see the Glazers sanctioning. Hopefully I am wrong though.