January transfer window - too early to talk about it?

padzilla

Hipster
I just mean it's pretty clear we are a bit short in a few departments but is it realistic to expect Ole to be able to bring in a few new faces mid-season to take us to the next level?

Siorac

It's August so it's a bit pointless to talk about it.

Besides, we all know what our issues are: those we didn't fix during the summer window. Not much to talk about besides "maybe we'll do what we failed to do in the summer but we probably won't".

padzilla

Hipster
One question I would ask is are we actually a year or maybe more behind with recruitment? Woodward wouldn't sanction a 60m move for Harry Maguire in summer 2018, we ended up paying 20m more plus a year later but now the other areas of the squad are severely weakened, probably because they weren't good enough in the first place but we haven't even replaced those who have left, never mind upgraded them.

Member 90887

Too early.

Plus, you can just take one of the threads at the begining of the summer. We need an RW, CM and now a couple of CFs.

Lentwood

Of course the club should be planning for January and next Summer already. This is what confuses me ever year. We know what our glaring weakness are - what are we waiting for? We should have all of our Scouts our scouring the world for players. Ed should already be contacting clubs trying to tee up deals.

People misunderstand the transfer window. You CAN sign as many players as you like outside of the window. You just can’t register them for competitions until the window opens. Point being, why is it we seem to sit on our hands until the windows open and THEN start talking about transfers? Wouldn’t it be nice if the Summer window opened and Ed announced four signings? Why not?

Antisocial

Has a Sony home cinema
It's too early, and pointless as well I think - we don't often do much in January, it's difficult to get quality for obvious reasons, and I have no faith that sufficient money will be made available to repair the squad anyway - this January or next summer.

2 man midfield

Last Man Standing finalist 2021/22
I think we need to, but who’s going to sell to us in January?

We’ve made some bizarre signings recently, I’d rather we took our time and got the right personnel than just panic bought because we need a body in the midfield.

We need to be more careful in identifying nailed on starters. When you look at our activity over the past 3 years, it’s been woeful. Until this summer just gone, we’d only signed 2 first XI players since José took over in 2016. I mean, we’re basically playing with the same team we were in 2016. We finished Van Gaal’s second season with a front 3 of Martial, Rashford and Lingard, and they’re still there now.

Since LVG left we’ve signed Zlatan, Mkhitartan, Bailly, Pogba, Matic, Lindelof, Lukaku, Grant, Dalot, Fred and Sanchez. Of those, just Pogba and Lindelof actually play. We’ve done a terrible job at refreshing the first 11, all while the teams around us have spent 3 years improving.

We’re in desperate need of new signings, but I think buying for the sake of it would be a continuation of that erratic model of signing players. We’ve started well under Ole with AWB and Maguire coming in, and I think we should take things slowly, identify proper first team players who will be here for years like we seem to be now, and not just sign players like Sanchez because they’re available.

LuckyScout78

Because of the good pre season games. Ole and his team thought Greenwood, Mata, Lingard and Chong would do a good job as right winger. Then all the time and energy was spending on a CB Maguire and a nr.10. A Dybala and a nr.10 and Eriksen were too late. Then the right winger position was clearly not prior in this summer.

Then after the pre games, where your opponents and enemies doesnt feed their best or a not a settle team. Back to season start, when it first really count. Really matches with full guts and best opponents. Compact and parking bus team. Where United didnt meet in pre games, parking bus. Then Ole and his team my realise United are short in right winger. Then they put James as right winger, who is best as a counter attack winger. Not a winger like Messi, Robben or Salah. Then United struggled to open up Crystal Palace. And later this year United will meet team like Newcastle and Burnley. So other solutions has to be use. Like player who are really good in small area like Angel Gomes.

Jadon Sancho who a right winger United shall try to get and buy. Its a summer buy. Dortmund will not let him go in January.
Next really good right target is Federico Chiesa from Fiorentina. If United make a bid and show interrest the boy will definitive go to United. With Chiesa and Fiorentina is all about the price. Giving them a price they will accept, where i think should be around Arsenal Pepe and De Jong to Barca price. Around 60 -70 mill £. But it depend if Chiesa is a Fiorentina player when transfer window in Italy will close in a short time.

Federico Chiesa - LW/RW/CAM
Kai Havertz - CM/RCM/CAM - A younger David Silva kind of player.

451 : Chiesa - Havertz/RCM - McTom/Matic DCM - Pobga/LCM - Martial/Rashford + Rashford/Martial

4411: Chiesa - McTom - Pobga - Martial + Havertz + Rashford

Sum up:

Fiorentina is a selling club, not a ambition club like Juventus, Napoli, Inter and AC Milan. So getting Chiesa in January is realistic, if he is still there by December.

And Havertz and Leverkusen. Leverkusen get 4 th place last season. So they are might in ch.league when it start. If Leverkusen dont let him go in January. Then agree with them in January and loan him back to them rest of the season, with a cutting price. And we have been heard that Silva said it is his last season with City. Then this left foot Havertz i think Pep will go after to replace Silva. Be ahead of them and avoid summer competition. I have a strong believe that Havertz will not still be Leverkusen player season 20/21. So like De Jong and Pulisic. Ajax and Dortmund agree to sell them, but keep them until the rest of the season. Havertz shall end like those 2 deals too. Avoid higher price and competition in the summer.

Only go for the best youngster and upcoming players out there. Be ahead of City, Liverpool, Juventus, Real Madrid; Bayern Munich and PSB about 2-3 years time.

Havertz 20 and Chiesa 21. You see mine points. If United get Havertz, Chiesa and Sancho. Adding those 3 really good upcoming players. Then its a big chance United will be above City about 3-4 years time. You are not spending big on Neymar, Bale, Eriksen and Dybala. To take the battle against City and Liverpool. When they as a a team on their peak.Special Liverpool a team that is on theirs peak and golden generation. Accept they are better as this moment. But about 2-4 years time. It is more unsure and United can be above them. If United are smart with theirs signings.

Getting Chiesa, Havertz and Sancho are mine best recommendations.

PaulRich

Early days but its evident we need serious bolstering to midfield and an old hand forward who's not completely knackered to help develop the other lads.

dev1l

If we try to.get Maddison from Leicester they ll milk us dry again. Will end up paying another 80million.
for that kind of money,I suppose there are better alternatives
One thing in favour of Maddison though is that him being a United fan (he s open about it) he ll push more for a transfer than Maguire did

Zlatattack

Because of the good pre season games. Ole and his team thought Greenwood, Mata, Lingard and Chong would do a good job as right winger. Then all the time and energy was spending on a CB Maguire and a nr.10. A Dybala and a nr.10 and Eriksen were too late. Then the right winger position was clearly not prior in this summer.

Then after the pre games, where your opponents and enemies doesnt feed their best or a not a settle team. Back to season start, when it first really count. Really matches with full guts and best opponents. Compact and parking bus team. Where United didnt meet in pre games, parking bus. Then Ole and his team my realise United are short in right winger. Then they put James as right winger, who is best as a counter attack winger. Not a winger like Messi, Robben or Salah. Then United struggled to open up Crystal Palace. And later this year United will meet team like Newcastle and Burnley. So other solutions has to be use. Like player who are really good in small area like Angel Gomes.

Jadon Sancho who a right winger United shall try to get and buy. Its a summer buy. Dortmund will not let him go in January.
Next really good right target is Federico Chiesa from Fiorentina. If United make a bid and show interrest the boy will definitive go to United. With Chiesa and Fiorentina is all about the price. Giving them a price they will accept, where i think should be around Arsenal Pepe and De Jong to Barca price. Around 60 -70 mill £. But it depend if Chiesa is a Fiorentina player when transfer window in Italy will close in a short time.

Federico Chiesa - LW/RW/CAM
Kai Havertz - CM/RCM/CAM - A younger David Silva kind of player.

451 : Chiesa - Havertz/RCM - McTom/Matic DCM - Pobga/LCM - Martial/Rashford + Rashford/Martial

4411: Chiesa - McTom - Pobga - Martial + Havertz + Rashford

Sum up:

Fiorentina is a selling club, not a ambition club like Juventus, Napoli, Inter and AC Milan. So getting Chiesa in January is realistic, if he is still there by December.

And Havertz and Leverkusen. Leverkusen get 4 th place last season. So they are might in ch.league when it start. If Leverkusen dont let him go in January. Then agree with them in January and loan him back to them rest of the season, with a cutting price. And we have been heard that Silva said it is his last season with City. Then this left foot Havertz i think Pep will go after to replace Silva. Be ahead of them and avoid summer competition. I have a strong believe that Havertz will not still be Leverkusen player season 20/21. So like De Jong and Pulisic. Ajax and Dortmund agree to sell them, but keep them until the rest of the season. Havertz shall end like those 2 deals too. Avoid higher price and competition in the summer.

Only go for the best youngster and upcoming players out there. Be ahead of City, Liverpool, Juventus, Real Madrid; Bayern Munich and PSB about 2-3 years time.

Havertz 20 and Chiesa 21. You see mine points. If United get Havertz, Chiesa and Sancho. Adding those 3 really good upcoming players. Then its a big chance United will be above City about 3-4 years time. You are not spending big on Neymar, Bale, Eriksen and Dybala. To take the battle against City and Liverpool. When they as a a team on their peak.Special Liverpool a team that is on theirs peak and golden generation. Accept they are better as this moment. But about 2-4 years time. It is more unsure and United can be above them. If United are smart with theirs signings.

Getting Chiesa, Havertz and Sancho are mine best recommendations.
Great suggestions but will never happen because our club is run by tossers. These are exactly the kind of signings we should be making. Players ready to step up to be wc.

bazalini

The Baz Man - He made us laugh 2000 - 2012
Not too early at all.

Jesse Lingard & Rojo & Rashford out to f**k.

fps

Are you crazy ? It's never too late nor too early to talk about transfers. Transfer windows are a metaphor for life.
:lol: Perfect.

It's unusual that anyone significant's on the move in January. Might some clubs be back in for Dybala? There was a rumour of a huge United move for Sancho, but that seems ridiculous given the Euros at the end of the season and Dortmund's genuine title aspirations.

Maddison looked great for Leicester when he moved into the 10 role in the one match I saw of theirs. Perhaps a mega move for him, then again, Leicester again have their own aspirations also.

If I were prospectively moving to Man Utd I'd wait until I'd seen what state the club was in at the end of the season and whether they had CL for 2020/21.

ToToMarshall

Not too early in my opinion, it would only be too early if every problem we had over the summer was fixed and we had no reasons to talk about transfers. They weren't, so we won't. Only thing is, we so rarely do any business in January. All I can see happening is the like of Rojo and Alexis, if they don't get shifted in the next week, getting sold then, or maybe one of Smalling or Jones.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
It's August so it's a bit pointless to talk about it.

Besides, we all know what our issues are: those we didn't fix during the summer window. Not much to talk about besides "maybe we'll do what we failed to do in the summer but we probably won't".
Its what... 17 weeks away?

I'd say they should be talking about potential deals now. Since it takes a poxy millennium to get anything done at old Trafford

fps

If we try to.get Maddison from Leicester they ll milk us dry again. Will end up paying another 80million.
for that kind of money,I suppose there are better alternatives
One thing in favour of Maddison though is that him being a United fan (he s open about it) he ll push more for a transfer than Maguire did
I reckon Maddison is exactly the profile Solskjaer wants.

Maticmaker

Yes, he will be top of Ole's list in January, hopefully less pi**ing about this time, we get him into OT as soon as possible whatever the cost.

dev1l

He s good player but looks a bit overrated. He certainly likes the Hollywood pass.
But as a player, I thinks he looks ok for what we re looking for.
What I particularly not appreciate about him is his off the pitch, let s call them "antics".
Like modelling in front of an expensive car in the worst looking puma attire or answering big mouths like Jeremy Clarkson on twitter.
For their own good, players should be a bit more reserved..

fergiesarmy1

He s good player but looks a bit overrated. He certainly likes the Hollywood pass.
What I particularly not appreciate about him is his off the pitch, let s call them "antics".
Like modelling in front of an expensive car in the worst looking puma attire or answering big mouths like Jeremy Clarkson on twitter.
Sounds like he would fit right in here.

fps

J/K, in all seriousness yes, he needs to reel in that stuff, but once he's matured a bit, and achieved a little more in his playing career, I reckon that would settle down. He's a bit like Lingard with end product and dribbling.

fps

Yes, he will be top of Ole's list in January, hopefully less pi**ing about this time, we get him into OT as soon as possible whatever the cost.
He'd be one to lift the other guys. I reckon Ole wants competition for places, and long-term competition for places.

SaintMuppet

We won’t be buying anybody in Jan. We had the whole summer and we did what we did in the market already.

Just imagine how far down our pants would get pulled down in Jan...

MrBrightside1989

Never to early for transfer speculation.
Would be great if the club announced a signing on 1st January or announced an agreement in place before the window opened.

Eriksen must be a shout with his contract expiring and can't see Real Madrid or Barcelona being hugely interested. He may sign an extension at spurs beforehand but might fancy a huge pay day from us.

yumtum

DUX' bumchum
We'll not sign anyone, Ole will be sacked in November/December and we'll hear all this tripe about the new man having to assess the squad.

Renegade

Imagine planning to correct the failure of the summer in August. We need to though, we take too long to get deals done.

Alabaster Codify7

My guess (and I said similar in the summer, so this isn't kneejerk predictiosn based on 'one game'):

• By Christmas, we'll be around 8th in the league.
  • Ole will be struggling to turn the ship around, morale around the club will be floundering again.
  • One of our strikers will be out with injury (Martial took a knock already but I'm thinking something longer term but not serious).
  • We'll sign Mandzukic in January for more than we would have paid in August - around £20m is my guess.
  • Woodward will, at the same time, brief the papers about X, Y and Z (these will be big-name targets) to try and raise morale in the fanbase.

Ole will be gone by Jan/Feb.

0161_UNITED

My guess (and I said similar in the summer, so this isn't kneejerk predictiosn based on 'one game'):

• By Christmas, we'll be around 8th in the league.
  • Ole will be struggling to turn the ship around, morale around the club will be floundering again.
  • One of our strikers will be out with injury (Martial took a knock already but I'm thinking something longer term but not serious).
  • We'll sign Mandzukic in January for more than we would have paid in August - around £20m is my guess.
  • Woodward will, at the same time, brief the papers about X, Y and Z (these will be big-name targets) to try and raise morale in the fanbase.

Ole will be gone by Jan/Feb.
When this doesn’t happen, I hope someone codifies an Alabaster.