Januzaj's future in doubt after LVG freezes out winger over “bad attitude”

PlayerOne

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
By Steve Bates

Adnan Januzaj's Manchester United career is in the balance after the young Belgian star was dumped by Louis van Gaal for a “bad attitude”, reports Steve Bates in the Sunday People .

The £60,000-a-week winger has been sidelined and could even be sold in the summer after infuriating van Gaal.

Januzaj, along with Brazilian midfielder Andreas Pereira, made Van Gaal’s blood boil with a poor attitude in an Under-21 game against Middlesbrough at the end of February.

Since then, 21-year-old Januzaj and Pereira, 20, haven’t figured in the first team for the last fortnight missing Premier League games against Watford and West Brom as well as the Europa League defeat at Liverpool.

And if van Gaal somehow survives the sack this season, word is that he may sanction Januzaj being sold.

Van Gaal believes the youngster is struggling to couple his talent with the necessary steel to make the grade at the very top.

Furious Dutch boss van Gaal was angered at the dismissive approach of both Januzaj and midfielder Pereira towards the Middlesbrough game and immediately axed them from the senior squad.

The under fire 64-year-old coach then made the duo play in a closed doors friendly against Oldham last week – in which they both scored – but he refused to recall them to the squad for the Euro tie at Anfield.

Despite a crushing injury list in double figures, van Gaal refused to put the Belgian-born duo in his squad for the games against Watford, West Brom and Liverpool instead calling up rookies James Weir, Joe Riley and Joe Rothwell to fill up his bench.

The incident marks another low point for Januzaj who was recalled from a proposed season-long loan spell at Borussia Dortmund in January amid concerns about his mental toughness.

Januzaj played only one Bundesliga game with Dortmund coach Thomas Tuchel disappointed that the United youngster didn’t show more appetite to make the move a success.

The youngster and his advisors had demanded he be allowed to make the move to Dortmund against the wishes of van Gaal.

The Dutch chief told Januzaj he would be better off staying at Old Trafford, continuing his development and fighting for a place in the United squad.

Januzaj ignored that advice – and he’s now fallen foul of van Gaal’s strict rules on first team players having the right attitude and approach when they drop down to the reserve side.

No-one felt van Gaal’s iron fist harder than former Barcelona and Spain international Victor Valdes who fell out with the Dutchman after refusing to play in a reserve game earlier in the season.

Van Gaal immediately dumped the 34-year-old goalkeeper, effectively ending his United career immediately.

Valdes was allowed to go out on loan to Belgian side Standard Liege in January but will never play for van Gaal again.

Manchester United declined to comment last night.
The Mirror
Comes from Steve Bates, who is usually reliable.

Deleted member 78215

Surely he's not on 60k a week? That's preposterous.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
I'm not going to condone going players showing a bad attitude but we can't really mess up the development of two of our brightest young players. Hopefully the next manager gets more out of them before LVG sells them or does something equally daft

I always feel that lvg doesn't quite like Januzaj. I mean look at some of memphis' lack of work rate and rubbish form, which somehow hasn't had him being completely frozen out. He's been given so much patience despite talk of poor attitude.

FC Ronaldo

Posts stuff that's been said before in tweet form
If this shocks anyone, I will be shocked.

Mainoldo

Well with Mourinho coming this kid isn't going to be nurtured, so he best fix up or he'll be playing for Shalke.

Mainoldo

I'm not going to condone going players showing a bad attitude but we can't really mess up the development of two of our brightest young players. Hopefully the next manager gets more out of them before LVG sells them or does something equally daft

I always feel that lvg doesn't quite like Januzaj. I mean look at some of memphis' lack of work rate and rubbish form, which somehow hasn't had him being completely frozen out. He's been given so much patience despite talk of poor attitude.
Who plays better Memphis or Januzaj? I can't remember one decent performance from him in 12 months.

Fahad Jawaid

I hope to god LVG is thrown out before he tries to sell Januzaj, and if he has a bad attitude i wonder what he thinks about Memphis, who doesn't even bother tracking back. Januzaj just has it, you can clearly see it, with a bit of patience and confidence he will be a class player.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
I think Adnan is a victim of LvG's safety first, no thrills philosophy more than anything else, I doubt this is true, and LvG isn't staying here come this summer anyway.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
Who plays better Memphis or Januzaj? I can't remember one decent performance from him in 12 months.
Hard to say. Memphis always plays but has only shown true quality in few games over the whole season. Januzaj showed his class under Moyes, but has struggled under lvg.

At the same time, I didn't think Januzaj did badly in those 4 league games at the start of the season whereas LVG has invested a lot of trust in Memphis despite so many poor showings. Different standards it seems.

Hammerfell

Januzaj seems like another one of those young players who think they've already made it.

DomesticTadpole

Doom-monger obsessed with Herrera & the M.E.N.
Januzaj seems like another one of those young players who think they've already made it.
I just hope all the kids that have been thrown in this season don't think they have made it either. Rashford seems a sensible lad and hopefully Warren Joyce will drum it into them that they need to work hard.

villain

Hates Beyoncé
Tuchel said Januzaj's head was always back in manchester.
He said he didn't have the right desire or attitude to succeed at this stage in his development. He said he felt that his head was in Manchester.
That's the difference.

SteveW

There is some truth in this but I think the timing is slightly inaccurate. Before the Boro u21 game Warren Joyce alluded to a couple of players needing to show a good attitude and treat the match with respect. My reading into the situation was that he was referring to Pereira and Januzaj who would both obviously have been hoping to instead be involved in the first team game against Watford a couple of days later.

It was around the time when the likes of Riley, Love, JFM, Weir were all being involved with the first team but Janzuaj and Pereira hadn't got in. Going by Joyce's comments it seems they may have reacted badly to having been named for the Boro u21 game when so many of the other U21s were held back for the first team game at Watford.

If memory serves they both actually worked hard and played well in the Boro game though.

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
So annoying. They lose intrinsic motivation and their performances turn to shit. He was upcoming in 13/14, therefore hungry and eager to perform.

khoazany

Reliable?Wrong timing.He has been called up again after the U21s match against Liverpool.

Zoo

it's obvious him and pereira aren't rated by the manager.
Well he did say that he believes in them both. And Januzaj is in the squad today.

Pereira should have been given a run in the FA Cup though.

LonelyFire

Like someone already said, this shouldn't surprise anyone. He failed at Dortmund for the same reason.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
Well with Mourinho coming this kid isn't going to be nurtured, so he best fix up or he'll be playing for Shalke.
Mourinho would nurture him but he better be receptive to that nurturing otherwise like you said, he will end up at Werder.

Sultan

Gentleness adorns everything
No player should be judged based LVG's reign. He's a destroyer of players confidence and careers. Decisions should not be based on his recommendations.

BennyBlanco

fixated with Shaw's bum
He said he didn't have the right desire or attitude to succeed at this stage in his development. He said he felt that his head was in Manchester.
That's the difference.
Reading the reports again you may have a point, which isn't all that encouraging.

Tuchel said Januzaj, who was accused of having a "bad mentality" by Belgium under-21 coach Enzo Scifo in November, did not make an impression due to his lack of commitment to BVB.
"I never had the feeling Adnan was here with his whole heart, but rather that a part of him stayed in Manchester and compared everything with Man United," the Dortmund coach told Sport Bild."We were not able to help him let go of it. Sadly, he wasn't in it with the motivation and attitude you need to further yourself at this age."

pacifictheme

No player should be judged based LVG's reign. He's a destroyer of players confidence and careers. Decisions should not be based on his recommendations.
Nani
Kagawa
Cleverly
Hernandez
Welbeck

Should still have them all. LVG is an idiot. Januzaj does seem to be a big time charlie though.

montpelier

I thought 'bad attitude' in this instance might just mean 'persistently finding the wrong option' but there we are.

Ability good, average 1st XI performance is really quite poor.

K2K

"Can Manchester United score? They always score"
I agree .

He seems unnecesarily ruthless with players, almost to prove a point.

Yet we have let him ger away with murder in this terrible reign.

We have failed to get rid of the biggest deadwood of them all. Van Gaal.

SteveJ

all-round nice guy, aka Uncle Joe Kardashian
Scout
Sick of players being sidelined because:

*'Bad attitude' (translation: they think they should be selected ahead of underperforming others).
*They're not LVG sycophants/don't owe their United careers to LVG/aren't loyal to LVG.
*They're in Rooney's way, or potentially so.
*Being young, LVG can treat them as shabbily as he likes, as people will believe they aren't mature.
*Can't be controlled like personality-free drones.

Moyes had the excuse of needing certain players on his side - at the expense of others - as his credentials for the job were poor; LVG doesn't even have that (shabby) excuse.

NinjaFletch

Can anyone really blame him if he has given up under LVG? He's been treated like shit under him since day 1.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
I think what we're seeing here is Januzaj being given his last chance. On the same day he's called back up, this story comes out. Think it's a warning to Januzaj.

On a side note, he was quiet for the U21's the other day but seemed to be trying hard and just kept his head down. Obviously there have been words had with him.