Japan executes first foreigner in 10 years

Dr. Dwayne

Self proclaimed tagline king.
China gave death penalty to one of the accomplices in the murder, and lifetime in jail for the other. I don’t think they will have a problem with this.
That may well be but typically countries don't like it when other countries execute their citizens, guilty or not.

While the nature of the offence and corresponding convictions in China might mitigate reaction, there are other considerations like China's growing assertiveness and historically frosty relations with Japan that might influence reaction to this.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
Ah yes, the statement of a dullard.
No. The statement of someone who’s family has been through tragedy. And if you’d been through it you’d think the same. And I hope you never have to. But then I’m a dullard so what do I know eh? Pick your arguments with someone else.

Last edited:

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I didn’t know Japan had capital punishment. Needs reintroduction in the UK imo.
Hang, drawned and quartered sentence to any politician who lied to the general public thus committing treason. That would be fun

Id like to see that introduced in malta as well

Stookie

Nurse bell end
What would be the value of reintroducing such a practice ?
Oddly enough I used to be an opponent of it. But I know feel that we keep the very worst in society alive for the most evil of crimes at great cost to the taxpayer for one reason. Plus I now believe in a life for a life. If you choose to do the most evil of crimes you should be prepared to pay with ultimate justice. I’m sure I don’t need to list those types of crimes. Plus there is a kind of closure for the families of those left behind as @Steven Seagull has said. I don’t know why people would want to keep “people” like Huntley alive.

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
Here's the problem with the Japanese penal system. Life imprisonment is (I believe) no more than 20 years. If you've committed a particularly heinous crime, there's no option for a whole-life sentence.

The other problem with their death penalty (apart from the fact that they still have one), is that prisoners aren't informed of their execution date. This means that people living in very poor conditions (as they stay in detention rather than in longer-term prison housing) can stay that way for years, just waiting. Exercise is strictly limited and people go crazy, not surprisingly, because each day might be their last. They also still use hanging, which even the Americans don't do.

They only get to know that they're going to die a couple of hours before it happens. No chance to say goodbye to your family, they aren't told until afterwards.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
Oddly enough I used to be an opponent of it. But I know feel that we keep the very worst in society alive for the most evil of crimes at great cost to the taxpayer for one reason. Plus I now believe in a life for a life. If you choose to do the most evil of crimes you should be prepared to pay with ultimate justice. I’m sure I don’t need to list those types of crimes. Plus there is a kind of closure for the families of those left behind as @Steven Seagull has said. I don’t know why people would want to keep “people” like Huntley alive.
There are plenty of problems with the death penalty - the most notable being that innocent people have been executed in the past. Beyond its obvious barbarity, that alone is reason to make it go the way of the dodo bird.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
Yep. Nothing you can say will change my mind on that. But we all have different opinions.
How about it's a waste of time and money and isn't a deterrent.

Seriously it wastes time, and it wastes money.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
There are plenty of problems with the death penalty - the most notable being that innocent people have been executed in the past. Beyond its obvious barbarity, that alone is reason to make it go the way of the dodo bird.
But in an age when DNA is available. Irrefutable proof. I don’t see why we want to keep these monsters alive?

Raoul

Admin
Staff
But in an age when DNA is available. Irrefutable proof. I don’t see why we want to keep these monsters alive?
DNA isn't always the ultimate arbiter in murder cases. Sometimes there is no evidence and the testimony of individuals is the only thing available. People sometimes lie or make things up. Why risk a needless execution when there are alternatives.

Stookie

Nurse bell end
DNA isn't always the ultimate arbiter in murder cases. Sometimes there is no evidence and the testimony of individuals is the only thing available. People sometimes lie or make things up. Why risk a needless execution when there are alternatives.
We’ll surely those cases shouldn’t even be going to prison? Forensics has come a long way sicnce the days of Christie. In cases beyond all doubt such as Hindley, brady, the ripper, etc surely it should count for them? How can people argue that those should be allowed to live is beyonD me.

Raoul

Admin
Staff
We’ll surely those cases shouldn’t even be going to prison? Forensics has come a long way sicnce the days of Christie. In cases beyond all doubt such as Hindley, brady, the ripper, etc surely it should count for them? How can people argue that those should be allowed to live is beyonD me.
But they do go to prison because the evidence is bad and executing them would obviously be tantamount to killing an innocent person. The mere chance that something like this could happen is more than enough to ditch the policy.

Paxi

Dagestani MMA Boiled Egg Expert
But they do go to prison because the evidence is bad and executing them would obviously be tantamount to killing an innocent person. The mere chance that something like this could happen is more than enough to ditch the policy.
Not to mention botched executions.

Balljy

Everybody, everyday will have multiple peoples DNA on their clothes, hands, everywhere. Unless it is a clear-cut case where that person should be nowhere near the person or the DNA is for something like a rape case it cannot be a decider.

If you are saying that you can't go to prison unless there is DNA evidence then there would be a lot fewer trials. I mean anybody who has done jury service will know that there are a long line of cases where it is witness against witness sometimes because the crime was reported days later, sometimes because no DNA was taken. Even if there was DNA evidence that would only be one part of the evidence and that would be made clear by the judge as DNA just proves they were there.

There are stories about misplaced DNA everywhere, it's not exactly hidden. https://www.wired.com/story/dna-transfer-framed-murder/

Cascarino

Magnum Poopus
Supports
Swansea
More time and money than keeping someone alive in max security for the rest of their lives?
It costs significantly more to impose a death penalty than it does to imprison someone for life. I’m sorry you’ve experienced a tragedy, but there’s no good argument for reintroducing the death penalty, it would be a massive backwards step.

theyneverlearn

and this one probably never will
The only positives I’ve seen sometimes having the death penalty available to prosecutors is that you find the accused agreeing to plea bargains to remove it from the table. This normally means them admitting guilt / location of bodies etc. It also spares families of victims having to experience the details at trials.

I don’t see it as a big enough positive to ever be on the side of wanting it reintroduced into the UK however, plus offering the accused a slim chance of parole can be enough to get plea bargains agreed.

rcoobc

Not as crap as eferyone thinks
More time and money than keeping someone alive in max security for the rest of their lives?
Yup. Tonnes more. Loads more. A ridiculous amount more.

http://theconversation.com/the-death-penalty-is-getting-more-and-more-expensive-is-it-worth-it-74294
https://deathpenaltyinfo.org/policy-issues/costs
https://deathpenalty.procon.org/view.answers.php?questionID=001000

The evidence is clear that maintaining the capital punishment pipeline costs taxpayers more money. Many states, such as Nebraska, Colorado, Pennsylvania, Washington and Oregon, have highlighted these extreme costs as one of their reasons to seek an end to the death penalty.
The death penalty is far more expensive than a system utilizing life-without-parole sentences as an alternative punishment. Some of the reasons for the high cost of the death penalty are the longer trials and appeals required when a person’s life is on the line, the need for more lawyers and experts on both sides of the case, and the relative rarity of executions. Most cases in which the death penalty is sought do not end up with the death penalty being imposed. And once a death sentence is imposed, the most likely outcome of the case is that the conviction or death sentence will be overturned in the courts. Most defendants who are sentenced to death essentially end up spending life in prison, but at a highly inflated cost because the death penalty was involved in the process.
All of the studies conclude that the death penalty system is far more expensive than an alternative system in which the maximum sentence is life in prison."