Jarrad Branthwaite

pascell

Can we chuck Everton Maguire and McTominay for Branthwaite and Onana? Both of them are one year left so are modestly priced than what they were a year ago.
That's never going to happen if you read the above tweet and their information is right.

Everton need £40-45m profit so I think we'll go for Branthwaite at £45+10/15m in add ons. Onana is more tricky as Lille have a 20% sell on, so adding players into the deal is severly unrealistic.

NoPace

Interesting if true.

30M seems more doable than 40M if they try to sneak it in without selling Onana or Brathwaite like selling Calvert-Lewin and a couple others with some of the money cut by amortization (but can still profit like 50% of fees for a Patterson or Godfrey if some Prem team will cough up 10-12M for them).

Or maybe they keep Brathwaite and sell Onana (my napkin math might be wrong, but if Onana is 30M over 5 years and they sell him for 50M with 10M going to Lille that's 22M in profit) and 1-2 others they'd be at 40M, so they can probably do that.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
30M seems more doable than 40M if they try to sneak it in without selling Onana or Brathwaite like selling Calvert-Lewin and a couple others with some of the money cut by amortization (but can still profit like 50% of fees for a Patterson or Godfrey if some Prem team will cough up 10-12M for them).

Or maybe they keep Brathwaite and sell Onana (my napkin math might be wrong, but if Onana is 30M over 5 years and they sell him for 50M with 10M going to Lille that's 22M in profit) and 1-2 others they'd be at 40M, so they can probably do that.
Sell-on clauses are often profit-share as opposed to percentage of gross, so they would likely have to pay Lille less than that too. If they bought for 30m and sell for 50m, they would probably have to pay 20% of 20m, which is 4m as opposed to 10m.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I will be watching him and Onana away at Newcastle tonight, which should be a good test for them.

Irwin99

Seems to be a lot of noise linking this guy and us.

I wonder if a new manager might opt for Martinez at left back if we get this guy? Never seen Martinez play there but i've heard it's a position he can play.

Roboc7

Seems to be a lot of noise linking this guy and us.

I wonder if a new manager might opt for Martinez at left back if we get this guy? Never seen Martinez play there but i've heard it's a position he can play.
Branthwaite can play left or right CB so I think he will play alongside as well as instead of Martinez. Maybe Martinez could fill in at left back but I don’t think he would be any more than a makeshift one.

Be interesting to see what happens at CB as we have 4 whose contracts expire by next summer and you probably don’t want any of them beyond that.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Didn’t cover himself in glory for Izak’s opening goal.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Not been too impressed with him of late

Cassidy

Most central defenders who are worth looking at will go for 60m+

Not sure which players you think we could get for so much less than what Branthwaite would cost

Off the top of my head, Diomande, Silva, Branthwaite, Tapsoba, Yoro, Todibo, Kossounou, Inácio, Lukeba, Bastoni, Bremer, Scalvini, Hato

Any one of them would be expensive

One player we should seriously consider is Adarabioyo on a free, and like most people, I also love deals like Anselmino, but that wouldn't be done with next season in mind
Bremer has a 50m clause?
Todibo is rated at 50m euros
Scalvani isn’t going to cost more than 50m in my opinion.
Even Koussounou I don’t see why he should cost north of 50m

JohnnyLaw

He’s definitely a bit rash isn’t he?

Only 21 of course but he needs to smart up.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Watching him more recently I’m not sure if he’s ready just yet. Definitely a lot of promise, but I think it does depend on what price point we’re going in at as to whether it makes sense this summer.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
He's been poor since the England call up. Not worried too much as he's been brilliant for the majority of the season and he's 21 years old. He's going to have rough patches of form and still obviously has a learning curve. He's not like Saliba who's been loaned out and playing regular football from the age of 17/18. It was only really last season at PSV that he started to play first team football at a good standard.

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
i think he’ll develop to be dominant on the ball for a better side. He’s fast strong and a good passer off either foot and he’s already thriving in the PL in his age category. If we can get him for something semi sensible like what we paid for Mount then good, not huge wages hopefully. I think there’s a lot to work with here. Onana is another. I would even take DCL as backup striker but he’s made of glass. This guy will hopefully push Licha back to his top form while hes waiting in the wings. Martinez is injured a lot so he’ll get loads of game time by default.

Last edited:

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
I’m certainly a fan, and I did have a preference for him due to the English factor, however, I must concede that Yoro looks a class above in terms of the young group and would now be my absolute first choice. That said, every top club seems to be after him and he will not be cheap.

Yoro and Neves are the type of players we should be spending big on as we look to build a winning team. This is the strategy that built this iteration of Real Madrid, and we need to be more aggressive in that sort of market.

Seaside Aggro

Same as Stones, people questioned the rash passes and positional play before he went to City. Get Braithwaite signed up.

Valencia Shin Crosses

I’m certainly a fan, and I did have a preference for him due to the English factor, however, I must concede that Yoro looks a class above in terms of the young group and would now be my absolute first choice. That said, every top club seems to be after him and he will not be cheap.

Yoro and Neves are the type of players we should be spending big on as we look to build a winning team. This is the strategy that built this iteration of Real Madrid, and we need to be more aggressive in that sort of market.
Agree. Too often we seem to be that level of aggressive for English/PL players when bigger talents that probably cost a similar amount are snapped up by the top clubs from other leagues.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Agree. Too often we seem to be that level of aggressive for English/PL players when bigger talents that probably cost a similar amount are snapped up by the top clubs from other leagues.
We need to be willing to spend though, so hopefully this talk of scrimping is misunderstood. None of the other top PL teams (well, except Chelsea) are operating this sort of strategy. The others are spending big on proven, often PL talent. We have been spending big on the wrong players sadly, but I would like us to target the likes of Yoro and Neves and mix that up with some Bosmans or players with a year left.

Last edited:

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin

He already looks Madrid bound. There’s nothing we can do if they really want to follow through. I agree with you totally though. They would have usually snapped up someone like Neves too. I think it’s really important that we get one of the two as they are the biggest talents out there currently for sale

ROFLUTION

Same as Stones, people questioned the rash passes and positional play before he went to City. Get Braithwaite signed up.
I’d also put Stones working out at City down to Pep who can basically make any player who can pass work in his system.

47.5m was expensive at the time. He’s grown into it, but wasn’t good all the time In the beginning. A lot of injuries too, but that says nothing of his abilities.

At another club than City I do think Stones could’ve been a flop.

Nickelodeon

In terms of left footed CBs, Branthwaite seems like the obvious one for the future. He has more than proved that he has the potential but he's not a world beater yet. Also, playing in a Dyche system may hinder his growth from a big team fitment perspective. They play too deep so we can't know what his recovery attributes are like. Similarly with so little possession, very hard to figure how he'll fit in a possession heavy setup even though he does make cute little passes through the lines.

Another left footed CB who's been catching my eye has been Murillo at Forest. Like Branthwaite, just 21 years of age. Comes across as very impressive on the ball. Almost scored an 80 yarder against Spurs and also a solo dribbling effort against Palace. Similar to Martinez, his height could be an area for a debate. But overall, seems like a very similar profile to Martinez with less defensive consistency but more offensive impetus.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
In terms of left footed CBs, Branthwaite seems like the obvious one for the future. He has more than proved that he has the potential but he's not a world beater yet. Also, playing in a Dyche system may hinder his growth from a big team fitment perspective. They play too deep so we can't know what his recovery attributes are like. Similarly with so little possession, very hard to figure how he'll fit in a possession heavy setup even though he does make cute little passes through the lines.

Another left footed CB who's been catching my eye has been Murillo at Forest. Like Branthwaite, just 21 years of age. Comes across as very impressive on the ball. Almost scored an 80 yarder against Spurs and also a solo dribbling effort against Palace. Similar to Martinez, his height could be an area for a debate. But overall, seems like a very similar profile to Martinez with less defensive consistency but more offensive impetus.
We play deeper but Branthwaite plays more risky. He attacks the ball rather than staying in that deeper line at times which is risky and does sometimes rely on his own pace and recovery or other players. He got caught out by Palmer with the meg for the first goal and wasn't strong enough in his tackle. He had an okay game aside from that but it's those moments that matter. An average game from him last night but it was an awful performance from everyone.

Nickelodeon

We play deeper but Branthwaite plays more risky. He attacks the ball rather than staying in that deeper line at times which is risky and does sometimes rely on his own pace and recovery or other players. He got caught out by Palmer with the meg for the first goal and wasn't strong enough in his tackle. He had an okay game aside from that but it's those moments that matter. An average game from him last night but it was an awful performance from everyone.
Fair enough. You would've watched him more than me. I was incredibly impressed with him especially when Everton went on that decent run after the initial points deduction but off late, there have been a few awkward moments. Apart from the Palmer nutmeg yesterday, Isak turned him quite easily and at Etihad, even though he did quite well initially, he was quite poor for both Haaland goals. So from the perspective of a team looking for a left footed young CB, the feeling is a bit mixed at the moment. He is quite good especially for his age but given that his price may skyrocket, just wondering if there are obvious chinks in the armour and other (cheaper) options may be a better punt.

kaku06

We would be fools to sign him for £70m. He’s nothing special young or not. Neither great technically nor this amazing passer. I don’t see it with him. Looking good at times amongst awful players in a relegation struggling side is £70m now? He’d stick out like a sore thumb in a good side.

izak

Supports
Glory Glory Red Devils
The owners should be sacking anyone who comes to them telling them, they should be signing this guy for anything above 20-30m max.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Fair enough. You would've watched him more than me. I was incredibly impressed with him especially when Everton went on that decent run after the initial points deduction but off late, there have been a few awkward moments. Apart from the Palmer nutmeg yesterday, Isak turned him quite easily and at Etihad, even though he did quite well initially, he was quite poor for both Haaland goals. So from the perspective of a team looking for a left footed young CB, the feeling is a bit mixed at the moment. He is quite good especially for his age but given that his price may skyrocket, just wondering if there are obvious chinks in the armour and other (cheaper) options may be a better punt.
He's looked quite lethargic recently. People need to remember that it's only his first PL season and he's a young CB, he will make mistakes. Rio and Vidic didn't become Rio and Vidic in a day. They made mistakes, VVD still makes mistakes..Van de Ven had a horror show on the weekend etc.

Nickelodeon

He's looked quite lethargic recently. People need to remember that it's only his first PL season and he's a young CB, he will make mistakes. Rio and Vidic didn't become Rio and Vidic in a day. They made mistakes, VVD still makes mistakes..Van de Ven had a horror show on the weekend etc.
Completely agree. On Van De Ven too who looked quite imperious but had a horrible game against Newcastle. Put yourself in shoes of Man United, what would be the price we should be willing to pay for Branthwaite? I think that anything less than 50 million in the current market would be good but anything beyond that isn't worth the risk and will put a lot of pressure on the young lad.

Marwood

How many CB's are ready at 21 to play for a huge club.

Reality is most are at least 25.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Completely agree. On Van De Ven too who looked quite imperious but had a horrible game against Newcastle. Put yourself in shoes of Man United, what would be the price we should be willing to pay for Branthwaite? I think that anything less than 50 million in the current market would be good but anything beyond that isn't worth the risk and will put a lot of pressure on the young lad.
It's understandable you wouldn't want to spend more than that when you weigh up risk. Obviously selling clubs have a different viewpoint in the current market and weighing up his HG status, value to the club, potential etc.

Would he be cheaper if Everton go down?
Yep. Even if we don't we are going to need to sell players before June 30th. Personally I'd try keep Branthwaite and sell Onana. Realistically we might lose both.

RuudTom83

If you pay huge money and put him in a United shirt, you are just repeating the mistakes of the past again.

The pressure cooker environment at United makes it extremely hard for any big money signing to succeed.

bitcoin

Branthwaite has done nothing to suggest he is worth anywhere near the 70M figures being bandied about.

Perhaps we make a speculative 35M bid for him, and if they reject, we just move on. If Everton haven't shifted him by the end of the window, they might even come back to us with a reasonable price if the rumours of them needing to sell are true.

Cassidy

Hopefully true that he isn't currently a top target due to his price

Unam333

€93 million. Mental. Thanks, but no thanks.
Time for United to be smart and see if the scouting department can provide cheaper alternatives or has unearthed a hidden gem.

UnrelatedPsuedo

I pity the poor fool who stinks like I do!
People seem to be quoting pre P&S/FFP prices for players. After several teams experiencing points deductions, other teams aren’t going to be gambling huge money on transfers and see themselves sail close to the wind.

I fully expect player prices to come down a notch over the next 2-4 transfer windows.