Jarrad Branthwaite

Bright_Eyes

That's never going to happen if you read the above tweet and their information is right.

Everton need £40-45m profit so I think we'll go for Branthwaite at £45+10/15m in add ons. Onana is more tricky as Lille have a 20% sell on, so adding players into the deal is severly unrealistic.
Isn't that a great way to get around losing anything due to a sell on clause though? Wouldn't it be more likely for a team selling such a player to accept such a deal? If Lille value one of our players at £50m and want them and value their player at £50m, then wouldn't that deal make more sense to them than selling said player for £50m but only receiving £40m? In the former situation they've broke even on value, in the latter situation they've lost some value.

Imagine a player has a 99% sell on clause. Would you rather sell that player or player-swap?

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
€93 million. Mental. Thanks, but no thanks.
Time for United to be smart and see if the scouting department can provide cheaper alternatives or has unearthed a hidden gem.
Most definitely need to be smarter in the market,Todibo is available for around £40 I believe, Bremer could possibly be in a PX deal with Greenwood, and Tosin is available on a Free.
There are three players off the top of my head that make so much more sense than yet another bumper transfer fee, and to my mind, are not second best players.

RuudTom83

Time for United to be smart and see if the scouting department can provide cheaper alternatives or has unearthed a hidden gem.
100%

Considering the Nice links, whichever CB arrives in the summer, the deal overall has to be better than the one United could achieve for Todibo.

Todibo for 35-40m beats Branthwaite for 70m.

Oranges038

93 pence + Maguire and McTominay would be enough.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
100%

Considering the Nice links, whichever CB arrives in the summer, the deal overall has to be better than the one United could achieve for Todibo.

Doesn't need to beat Todibo deal, but of course 70m for Branthwaite is a no go.
I'd take Bremer personally if we want someone left footed

yamo123x

100%

Where has this 60-70mill figure come from for Braithwaite?
Ive watched him in 4 live games now and he has made significant errors in 3 of them. Neat and tidy on the ball but cumbersome in his defending and also questionable positioning,.....but the figures being banded about are crazy.
40mill is more realistic based on his age and potential.

SAF is the GOAT

He's 27yo, personally, I prefer a younger CB tbh

I don't want us to replace him in 2 or 3 years

mikeyt

The sort of signing we should make as a +1 in central defence, with another more established player, and not someone we should blow the budget on. Yes, he's shown potential but he's still learning the game and could turn out to be nothing more than a back up here. I like the strategy with this one, but give we really need to replace Maguire, Varane and Lindelof, we can't afford to through more than £30million at this lad.

Teja

I don't think we should write-off Martinez that quickly. Martinez with some backup from one of Lindelof / Maguire is enough to cover that LCB spot for next season. I really want a couple of CBs that are quick / aggressive / ball carriers (Rudiger, Ramos types) to partner Martinez. One should be an established starter who can just come in and do the job. The other should be a shrewd signing -- free contract / from the championship / from one of the teams that are getting relegated / a punt on some CB no one ever heard of.

Cassidy

He's 27yo, personally, I prefer a younger CB tbh

I don't want us to replace him in 2 or 3 years
We have a young team, especially in attack; we need some quality experienced players.
Also we can sign a younger CB as we'll be signing more than 1

Cassidy

I don't think we should write-off Martinez that quickly. Martinez with some backup from one of Lindelof / Maguire is enough to cover that LCB spot for next season. I really want a couple of CBs that are quick / aggressive / ball carriers (Rudiger, Ramos types) to partner Martinez. One should be an established starter who can just come in and do the job. The other should be a shrewd signing -- free contract / from the championship / from one of the teams that are getting relegated / a punt on some CB no one ever heard of.
I did not write Martinez off, but we do require cover for him and should be signing 2 CBs and moving on Maguire, Lindelof and Varane no point replacing them with 2 right footers

EDIT: I would also go all out to try and convince Kim Min Jae

gajender

Bremer is Right Footed .

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
Struggled against Nicolas Jackson last night. First time I’ve proper watched him to be fair but going of first impressions. I’d say no.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Nobody can be sure yet that Martinez will come back the same or will be an injury prone version. He offers multiple roles so I wouldn’t be concerned at bringing in another left sided Cb

Valencia Shin Crosses

Martinez doesn't defend wide spaces well, which along with the now mounting injury issues is the main problem with relying on him as first choice if we want to be more aggressive higher up the pitch defending. He's technically brilliant (possibly the best passing CB in the world tbh), and can absolutely start in a few different positions but relying on him as first choice in that role with just Maguire behind is just asking for trouble.

Valencia Shin Crosses

Nobody can be sure yet that Martinez will come back the same or will be an injury prone version. He offers multiple roles so I wouldn’t be concerned at bringing in another left sided Cb
Yeah basically what I just said. We need at least 1 CB for each side that offers high potential, and probably a 3rd CB for cover if we really want to remake and upgrade the backline

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Yeah basically what I just said. We need at least 1 CB for each side that offers high potential, and probably a 3rd CB for cover if we really want to remake and upgrade the backline
If we are to keep ETH and this system we can’t go into the new season having an injury prone player being unavailable when he’s supposedly critical to how it all works. We can’t plan on chance

SER19

we need a right footed martinez. The prices quoted for this guy are insane

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
we need a right footed martinez. The prices quoted for this guy are insane
We about paid the same money for Martinez and this guy is homegrown and younger.

SER19

We about paid the same money for Martinez and this guy is homegrown and younger.
93 million euro the last figure I heard. Id be ok with something about 45m, but he's also left footed - I dont know how much of a difference that makes, but if he can play with martinez then fine

cpresc

Antonio Silva would be my choice to Martinez next season.

Lindelof and Shaw as backup if we're skint.

Get shot of the big wages in Maguire and Varane to use elsewhere

Roboc7

93 million euro the last figure I heard. Id be ok with something about 45m, but he's also left footed - I dont know how much of a difference that makes, but if he can play with martinez then fine
45m is about the limit of what we should pay but Everton are not going to sell him for that. What we have to be prepared to do is move on to other targets.

If we start paying 70m or more for him or 60-70m for Onana it is just repeating same mistake of spending huge sums without drastically improving the team.

The money has to be spread around more because we have so many problems to solve.

E-mal

I don’t see the hype and for our money we can do better. He might be be better in the future but buying him means a backup to Martinez when we need a partner for him

MegadrivePerson

Where has this 60-70mill figure come from for Braithwaite?
Ive watched him in 4 live games now and he has made significant errors in 3 of them. Neat and tidy on the ball but cumbersome in his defending and also questionable positioning,.....but the figures being banded about are crazy.
40mill is more realistic based on his age and potential.
Everton and certain Everton fans on here.

He's done nothing to show that he's significantly better than other defenders that have been signed in the last 12 months for around the £40 million mark.

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Everton and certain Everton fans on here.

He's done nothing to show that he's significantly better than other defenders that have been signed in the last 12 months for around the £40 million mark.
Not sure how many times it needs to be explained on here but when fans of clubs like Everton, Brighton, West Ham et al. are touting fees for their players, it's not purely down to ability but their value to their current club, amongst other factors (like potential, nationality etc.).

Red Royal

Signing Braithwaite for anything above £50M smacks of the same lazy scouting system that has got him into the current mess (his salary if he joins should be reasonable too).
He could well be an amazing player, but he doesn't have the aura of when we signed Rio Ferdinand for big money all those years ago so instead let's scour Europe and beyond for a better deal please.

MegadrivePerson

Not sure how many times it needs to be explained on here but when fans of clubs like Everton, Brighton, West Ham et al. are touting fees for their players, it's not purely down to ability but their value to their current club, amongst other factors (like potential, nationality etc.).
Every single football fan I’ve ever met has a tendency to overrate good players at their club and that’s clearly the case here.

Yes he’s a talented young player, but that’s all!

He’s not some generational player!! He’s not the next Rio Ferdinand or Virgil Van Dijk! There is literally nothing in his stats or the ‘eye test’ of watching him play to suggest that he a special player worth £75 million!

I’ll repeat, £75 million would make him one of the top five most expensive defenders of all time! He’s simply not THAT good.

If Everton slap a massive fee on his head that’s up to them, and maybe a club come along that is stupid enough to pay it. If not you’ll end up pricing him out of a move like Palace did with Zaha.

Try and take a step back and look at it objectively though?

Look at how much Spurs paid for Van de Ven or Newcastle paid for Botman and so on.

£40 million plus £5million in add ons is a more than fair price. Yes he has lots of potential, but he could just as easily not fulfil it, he’s not some 100% guaranteed hit!

SilentWitness

ShoelessWitness
Staff
Supports
Everton
Every single football fan I’ve ever met has a tendency to overrate good players at their club and that’s clearly the case here.

Yes he’s a talented young player, but that’s all!

He’s not some generational player!! He’s not the next Rio Ferdinand or Virgil Van Dijk! There is literally nothing in his stats or the ‘eye test’ of watching him play to suggest that he a special player worth £75 million!

I’ll repeat, £75 million would make him one of the top five most expensive defenders of all time! He’s simply not THAT good.

If Everton slap a massive fee on his head that’s up to them, and maybe a club come along that is stupid enough to pay it. If not you’ll end up pricing him out of a move like Palace did with Zaha.

Try and take a step back and look at it objectively though?

Look at how much Spurs paid for Van de Ven or Newcastle paid for Botman and so on.

£40 million plus £5million in add ons is a more than fair price. Yes he has lots of potential, but he could just as easily not fulfil it, he’s not some 100% guaranteed hit!
You could say the same about Rice and Grealish in terms of other midfielders and teams stumped up 100m+ for them. Same with the players that Brighton have sold in recent years but guess what, the selling clubs value them higher than they are if everyone was on the same level because everyone isn't on the same level and thus you have to take those factors into consideration. You just don't seem to get it.

Additionally, Carlisle will get 10% of any fee we get for Branthwaite so that plays into our value also.

Ikon

Correctly predicted France to win World Cup 2018
Well, Sir Jim, is often banging on about "the smart money" and how United have been squandering Millions.
With the way fees have been going, I'd be very surprised if a price tag of less than £60m was attached to Branthwaite, and surely the "smart money" then looks at Todibo £40m & Bremer £40m (with a possibility of a Greenwood PX) and goes down that path...... :rolleyes: