Jason Wilcox - New technical director

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
So this is what he wants to play, and Ajax forced him into a better compromise?
Ajax is the odd approach and what he did with Ajax largely matches with their ideals. So yes, you can bet that Ajax gave him a mandate when he signed for them. His previous teams were counter attacking teams while his Ajax team was a heavy possession team.

My guess is that his ideal is a mix of what he did before Ajax and things that he learned with Ajax, the issue being that he doesn't know how to amalgamate them.

Seven Seas Sardines

Ajax is the odd approach and what he did with Ajax largely matches with their ideals. So yes, you can bet that Ajax gave him a mandate when he signed for them. His previous teams were counter attacking teams while his Ajax team was a heavy possession team.

My guess is that his ideal is a mix of what he did before Ajax and things that he learned with Ajax, the issue being that he doesn't know how to amalgamate them.
He's also said that the squad dictates the playing style. Doubt he'd think he'd be winning leagues with Go Ahead Eagles and Utrecht playing total football against Ajax, PSV and Feyenoord.

Also not inconceivable that he's been told that he has to accommodate a playing style suiting our PR starboy.

dabronxolivera

Supports
Al Hilal
Him talking this bullish about working with Wilcox just all points towards him being here in summer
Or he knows he's a dead man walking and he is clinging into anything to save his dear job. The fact he speaks so much while we hear zero news from INEOS about his future speaks itself

micmac

Or he knows he's a dead man walking and he is clinging into anything to save his dear job. The fact he speaks so much while we hear zero news from INEOS about his future speaks itself
What do we need to hear from INEOS ? They are putting the structure in place to allow Ten Hag to do his job. SJR already came out a few weeks ago and said they are making a lot of changes above ETH and making too many to quick is not good.

croadyman

What do we need to hear from INEOS ? They are putting the structure in place to allow Ten Hag to do his job. SJR already came out a few weeks ago and said they are making a lot of changes above ETH and making too many to quick is not good.
They keep him that's definitely a black mark against their name,also means Neville will be smug that he was right to back him

Yakuza_devils

TBF, when ETH was appointed many Ajax fans came to this platform and warned us that ETH is terrible at signing players. It was Overmars as DOF at Ajax that created the successful team/style of play. But our incompetent DOF at that time Murtough did exactly the opposite and delegated all the players signing to ETH. The rest is history.

Maybe just maybe, under competent football structure of Berrada, Ashworth and Wilcox this could work?

CM

TBF, when ETH was appointed many Ajax fans came to this platform and warned us that ETH is terrible at signing players. It was Overmars as DOF at Ajax that created the successful team/style of play. But our incompetent DOF at that time Murtough did exactly the opposite and delegated all the players signing to ETH. The rest is history.

Maybe just maybe, under competent football structure of Berrada, Ashworth and Wilcox this could work?
Will a competent structure also hold his hand in training sessions so we don't concede shots and goals at an unprecedented rate in matches?

Yakuza_devils

Will a competent structure also hold his hand in training sessions so we don't concede shots and goals at an unprecedented rate in matches?
It was reported that Wilcox want him to change to a certain style of play. Probably, something like he used to play in Ajax. Failure so, he will be replaced.

Personally, I would like to have a new manager. 2 years and he didn't even show any progress. But the reports are indicating that Wilcox is willing to give ETH another chance.

CM

It was reported that Wilcox want him to change to a certain style of play. Probably, something like he used to play in Ajax. Failure so, he will be replaced.

Personally, I would like to have a new manager. 2 years and he didn't even show any progress. But the reports are indicating that Wilcox is willing to give ETH another chance.
I don't think it was ever a likelihood that they were going to come out and openly say they'll sack him with a cup final on the horizon. There's a good chance all of that is just lip service.

AneRu

I don't think it was ever a likelihood that they were going to come out and openly say they'll sack him with a cup final on the horizon. There's a good chance all of that is just lip service.
Yeah, a few weeks ago it looked like he was a dead man walking and in his interviews and demeanor it was that of a defeated man. I guess someone has assured him but I think it is just to ensure the meltdown is halted. Problem is he is delusional and sees a stay in execution as an endorsement.

E-mal

If we cannot trust someone to have enough knowledge about the quality of the players he has managed for three years, then I doubt we should trust him regarding any aspects of his competence.
It's like working with a junior doctor and then you move somewhere else that requires a different skill set but you brought that Doctor in anyway for him to struggle despite knowing what his ceiling of his skill

In any case, this idea that a DOF decides style of play is alien to me. If you like a style of play, you bring managers that play that style. If they don't and you think you have provided them with he tools to do it, then change the manager. Simple as ABC

mu4c_20le

Yeah, a few weeks ago it looked like he was a dead man walking and in his interviews and demeanor it was that of a defeated man. I guess someone has assured him but I think it is just to ensure the meltdown is halted. Problem is he is delusional and sees a stay in execution as an endorsement.
I believe the interest from other clubs is real (Ajax/Bayern) so maybe he's just relieved about his own future. I don't think he has the full support of the dressing room anymore.

Yakuza_devils

Hopefully this guy is the real deal. I remember when Murtough was appointed DOF, the club PR machine was also bigging him up and credit him for modernising the club with proper football structure. Fast forward a few years, he was the worst ever DOF.

I know time is very tight now as transfer window is coming soon. Just hope we are more sensible and shrewd in transfers this window and no more signings like Antony 80M, Casemeiro 70M, Mount 60M, Onana 50M and even Hojlund 70M and etc.

Chipper

Adulterer.
Saw someone pretending to be Jason Wilcox on Telegram last night. Gave me a laugh!

There's a feature where you can see other users in your area, mostly used by what I'm assuming are scammers spoofing IP addresses. There's profiles of attractive women who really want to talk to you, either looking for romance or to sell sex. Supposed drug dealers too.

First time I saw anyone impersonating someone famous, they were using his picture and everything. He was supposed to be at Old Trafford at about 2 in the morning, with a little Google Maps pin centred on the middle of the pitch and some Chinese writing next to his street address. :lol: Wonder what the angle was there, trying to get people to pay money for a trial at United? Fake ticket seller?

Edit: He's still there tonight.

Last edited:

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
So we're expecting Ashworth to determine our playing style later.

Meanwhile, we're going with whatever these new other people thought our playing style should be? And that include choosing manager, and players to buy and keep.

Hopefully this Ashworth guy has been working behind the scene already. Otherwise, it would be another clusterfeck later on.

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
So we're expecting Ashworth to determine our playing style later.

Meanwhile, we're going with whatever these new other people thought our playing style should be? And that include choosing manager, and players to buy and keep.

Hopefully this Ashworth guy has been working behind the scene already. Otherwise, it would be another clusterfeck later on.
Ashworth was never going to single-handedly decide on the playing style. It'd be a general discussion from Ratcliffe, the rest of INEOS, Berrada, Ashworth and Wilcox, with it becoming more detailed and specific as it goes down the chain. The general discussion on that style would have already been had with Ashworth when we first hired him, to ensure both parties were on the same wavelength.

I also expect that something as big as hiring a new manager would be mentioned off-the-record with him.

tomaldinho1

Ashworth was never going to single-handedly decide on the playing style. It'd be a general discussion from Ratcliffe, the rest of INEOS, Berrada, Ashworth and Wilcox, with it becoming more detailed and specific as it goes down the chain. The general discussion on that style would have already been had with Ashworth when we first hired him, to ensure both parties were on the same wavelength.

I also expect that something as big as hiring a new manager would be mentioned off-the-record with him.
Also realistically, it's not going to be hard coded to a really specific style, it will just be a high level description. If I had to guess, the obvious choice is to look at a head coach with a proven background coaching a younger team to high press - it's a tactic proven in the PL at all levels with all budgets, it's easier to recruit for because your physical metrics are easier to quantify than technical ones and Brailsford's background lends itself to this, plus many of Ineos are close to Ragnick professionally. Essentially, I think they are looking at the Red Bull multi club model and thinking why can't we do the same with Lausanne, Nice and United whilst looking at Klopp's net spend at Pool being so small and licking their chops.

dubplate warrior

Hopefully this guy is the real deal. I remember when Murtough was appointed DOF, the club PR machine was also bigging him up and credit him for modernising the club with proper football structure. Fast forward a few years, he was the worst ever DOF.

I know time is very tight now as transfer window is coming soon. Just hope we are more sensible and shrewd in transfers this window and no more signings like Antony 80M, Casemeiro 70M, Mount 60M, Onana 50M and even Hojlund 70M and etc.
A lot of people were deeply sceptical of Murtough and just hopeful he wouldn't be as thick as Woodward.

It just feels like Wilcox is a significant jump in credentials and knowhow. Murtough always struck me as a bit of a chancer who was promoted out of a failed regime.

Yakuza_devils

A lot of people were deeply sceptical of Murtough and just hopeful he wouldn't be as thick as Woodward.

It just feels like Wilcox is a significant jump in credentials and knowhow. Murtough always struck me as a bit of a chancer who was promoted out of a failed regime.
Reports coming out from the club now is indicating that Wilcox is working closely with ETH. They meet on daily basis to discuss the football direction of the clubs including coming transfer window signings. This worry me as I really don't think ETH is the right person to bring us forward. Of course hope he is right and have data to back this decision if he decided to go with ETH. Hope he is no Murtough 2.0

BorisManUtd

One of them said the same thing about LvG when he was signing for us in 2014. And think he was even worse then ten Hag in that regard. I don't think we'll go for a Dutch manager again in the near future.

Grande

Tbf this is partly oversimplified and partly untrue. Untrue: There were not ‘many’ Ajax fans that said TH was ‘terrible’ at signing players. Neither did anyone say that Overmars ‘created the successful team/style of play’. Closer to the truth is that ‘some’ Ajax followers said TH weren’t ‘in charge of’ player signings, and that Overmars and TH worked closely together with Overmars central behind finding the right players from outside to complement the in-house players, and Ten Hag responsible for playing style and identifying profiles needed to play that way. Ajax, to a degree had an established playing style implemented in their youth football over many years and shaped by such diverse coaches as Cruyff and Van Gaal, and Ten Hag related to that, but still changed it so much in his own direction that both Ajax fans and people at the club protested to begin with, before results brought them around.

The simplistic idea is that finding players who flourish in a playstyle, and making a playing style which works with the players at hand, is a one man or even two man job at this level. It’s to a huge degree a team effort where it’s even more important that things click in a miljeu, than that that you have a certain person in any particular job position.