Javier Hernandez | 2011/12 Performances

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
Not so much 'aerial threat' that gives way to the hypothetical pursuit of the dreaded long ball. But we just lack someone powerful up front.

Danny is going along nicely. Young and gaining experience. He's still doing his best impression of Bambi's; Mr T on Ice. Hernandez is a poacher through and through and Berba's silky skills have been frozen out.

I still think we're lacking a Drogba, a Dzeko, a Holt or a Kenwyne Jones type player to rough up a back four and hold up the ball crem de la crem for us. Someone that's going to bury 7 out of 10 headers in a tussle.

Our wing play has become a bit one dimensional. Low cross in behind. Low cross away from the defenders in shallow. Or hit it at the back post and hope. 9/10 times nobody is there.

Neutral

BTV
For all the talk of Berba not fitting into our 'new way of playing' - how the hell does Hernandez fit in?

He has improved his all round play this season, but in matches where he has started, it still felt like we were playing 10 vs 11 a lot of the time. He just doesn't possess the skill to contribute to a fluid passing game.

He has great instincts, and has the ability to find space for himself in crucial areas - but is it enough?

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
I think with a much better controlled and much more pushed up midfield he would be a goal bonanza with quick passing and off the shoulder.

Treble

IIRC, he scored 2 league goals at OLd Trafford this season, one from a penalty vs Stoke, the other from a lucky deflection vs Newcastle.

That's a terrible home form.

gooDevil

Worst scout ever
Chicharito has 10 goals in 17 starts in the league, with 10 sub appearances, as well as 2 assists. He had 0 goals in 1 start in the CL, with 3 subs, and had 2 goals in 3 starts in the Europa League, with no subs. Including the single FA Cup sub appearance without scoring, that's 12 goals and 2 assists in 21 starts and 14 subs.

That should come to a goal or assist about, I'd guess, every 150 minutes, which is pretty good for someone who didn't get a consistent run. He's probably slightly disappointed that he didn't play more this year than last after his success, but I'm sure he appreciates that he has a lot to add to his game to be good enough to be a constant in our first XI.

Edmeiste

For all the talk of Berba not fitting into our 'new way of playing' - how the hell does Hernandez fit in?

He has improved his all round play this season, but in matches where he has started, it still felt like we were playing 10 vs 11 a lot of the time. He just doesn't possess the skill to contribute to a fluid passing game.

He has great instincts, and has the ability to find space for himself in crucial areas - but is it enough?
nah he's been useful in other games. thing is, as ive said all season, is that we haven't seen it consistently enough that makes it convincing. from what i've seen he's yet to put all these things together.

to be honest, i think he's more raw than danny despite the age difference just because of his late start to football. instead of going out on loan at the same age, he was rotting in the reserves. i still dont think he's completely settled either. the chicharito at chivas was more than a goalscorer.

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
Now that defenders have figured better how to defend against him and have generally gotten used to him, he will hopefully develop his game more (strengthen his previous qualities and diversify his game)

Neutral

BTV
Now that defenders have figured better how to defend against him and have generally gotten used to him, he will hopefully develop his game more (strengthen his previous qualities and diversify his game)
I don't think it's a case of defenders figuring out how to defend against him. He scored what 12 goals this season, with a bit more luck, and better finishing he could easily have scored 17-18 goals.

On another day, he would have scored at least 1 goal yesterday, if not two. His goal scoring prowess isn't the issue for me. It's how we look as a team with him in the lineup, and against what sort of opponents can we afford to have him in the starting lineup

Carl

has permanently erect nipples

His career for United will be from the bench when we're chasing games. The strengths he has will be perfect for that.

Neutral

BTV
He's been caught offside too many times, it's easy to defend against him at the moment
He was the same last season, but he scored a few more so it wasn't as big an issue - (20-12)

He like Inzaghi will test the offside trap time and time again, the defenders will win 8-9 times out of 10, but all he needs is that one chance to score a goal, and it's been a good day.

Redfighter

Officially gullible
At the secret training camp for United Militia
Hernandez problem is that he's a pretty average player, but a world class finisher. That's great when the other 10 players are creating chances all the time and the team is full of confidence but this season our football has been poor, we've struggled to break opposition sides down, especially in Europe and our defence has been average. He's a luxury that we couldn't afford this year, which is why we looked better with Welbeck who worked harder and is more composed on the ball. That said I love the lads attitude but I feel we should be looking at bring in a top class centre forward in the summer. Hernandez is one of those players who will get his fair share of games but I think it'll be a few years until he establishes himself as a first choice, confident striker.

I think Rooney, Welbeck, Hernandez and 1 other top new signing and we're sorted for the next 5 seasons.

Smores

This thread always makes me laugh, ridiculous opinions. Hernandez an average player? :lol:

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
I think that Jav is a good player but he is the opposite of versatile. The team has to play for him because there is only one way that he can play. When we bought him it looked that you could either play him in over the top on the last shoulder of the defender or get him on the end of crosses from wing play.

It has transpired that he is not good enough at holding his line against Premiership defenders and the ball over the top results in offside 95% of the time. The problem with this is that it surrenders possession and the opposition get to move up the pitch from the restart.

That just leaves the balls into the box from wings. With his movement in the box he has to be one of the best about at playing this way. The problems start when our wingers are having a bad day, Jav is having a bad day or we are playing a team that are adept a dealing with those types of crosses. I feel that if any of these variables come into affect when Jav is in the team, then we become blunted overall.

It seems to me that he is best suited to being an impact sub, if you consider his temperament and attributes.

I said in newbies a good while back that if I were in charge at United then I would accept a 20m+ bid for the player, though I highly doubt that anyone would pay that for him anymore.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
I think that Jav is a good player but he is the opposite of versatile. The team has to play for him because there is only one way that he can play. When we bought him it looked that you could either play him in over the top on the last shoulder of the defender or get him on the end of crosses from wing play.

It has transpired that he is not good enough at holding his line against Premiership defenders and the ball over the top results in offside 95% of the time. The problem with this is that it surrenders possession and the opposition get to move up the pitch from the restart.

That just leaves the balls into the box from wings. With his movement in the box he has to be one of the best about at playing this way. The problems start when our wingers are having a bad day, Jav is having a bad day or we are playing a team that are adept a dealing with those types of crosses. I feel that if any of these variables come into affect when Jav is in the team, then we become blunted overall.

It seems to me that he is best suited to being an impact sub, if you consider his temperament and attributes.

I said in newbies a good while back that if I were in charge at United then I would accept a 20m+ bid for the player, though I highly doubt that anyone would pay that for him anymore.
If United made it clear they were willing to accept offers of £20m for Hernandez he'd be gone in a few weeks.

ghaliboy

Snitches on Tom Hagen
This thread always makes me laugh, ridiculous opinions. Hernandez an average player? :lol:
"Hernandez is feckin rubbish! I mean, all he does is score goals! Literally.. He just scores goals..."

______- Rawk numpty

If United made it clear they were willing to accept offers of £20m for Hernandez he'd be gone in a few weeks.
If United made it clear they were willing to sell Hernandez at all JHC would be gone in a few weeks.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
Gone where?

Who do you think would pay 20m for Hernandez? I suppose that Liverpool would, anyone else?
Anyone in the top 4/6, the big Italian teams (who all loved Inzaghi), PSG...the guy scores goals most managers will pay £20m for a proven goalscorer. Florentino would also probably buy him for shirt sales in North America alone...

Jimy_Hills_Chin

Desperately wants to be ITK
Anyone in the top 4/6, the big Italian teams (who all loved Inzaghi), PSG...the guy scores goals most managers will pay £20m for a proven goalscorer. Florentino would also probably buy him for shirt sales in North America alone...
Fair point.

Though I am not sure that Mourinho would want him, they are getting rid of the best pure finisher that there is in Higuain.

Smores

Has Hernandez lost pace? I rarely see him outpace defenders like he used to...
I think he has, I said in the first few games he played this season that he looked shattered. I think Fergie's tried to rest him at times this season hoping he'd come back fresh but in reality he needs a long extended break.

Luckily Fergie said the other day they'd come to some agreement with Mexico so hopefully he'll come back ready next season.

Rossa

I think he has, I said in the first few games he played this season that he looked shattered. I think Fergie's tried to rest him at times this season hoping he'd come back fresh but in reality he needs a long extended break.

Luckily Fergie said the other day they'd come to some agreement with Mexico so hopefully he'll come back ready next season.
Hope so too - he looked lightning last season, but this season he doesn't seem as quick and explosive as last year. Hopefully, a couple of weeks off and a proper pre-season will help him improve his pace again as it is vital for his game.

Stretch

He's looked knackered for a good while now. Just hope he can get good rest and get over his sophomore blues. We've missed some of the important goals he scores (from one chance) for us this season.

friendlytramp

More full of crap than a curry house toilet
The difference he offers over berba is impact. Whether coming into the starting eleven or coming off the bench he can offer a new dimension and bring something different to the team.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
I think he's been doing too much physique work and not enough agility. He's clearly got a bit bigger but it was his pace and agility that made him quick enough to put his guile to good use. He's lost a bit of that pace and agility and hopefully it's what he will work on next and he'll have the best of both worlds. Able to handle the physical nature of the league better while returning to his goal poaching ways.

His game was never really based on his pace though, it was based on his quickness over 6 yards and general movement (being in the right place). Despite the comparisons made, I can't recall him getting into space behind the defenders and getting into one on ones with keepers. It was mostly one touch finishes, he's always been poor with the ball at his feet.

The only thing his pace has ever really as a weapon is the threat of it stretches the oppositions defence and gives us space in midfield.

Freak

Born a freak always a freak.
He's suffering from the second season syndrome. Defenders have gotten used to his game and he's over-thinking things. Needs to do alot of work on his ball control, hold up play and passing during pre-season.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
He's still pretty young, and his instincts won't go away. As long as he maintains his speed over 5 yards, he'll be a constant threat.

I think he's being misused a lot - he really should just be used in situations where we're going to be on the front foot and creating chances - such as late in games. He's not a true 'United' type forward - he doesn't bring all that much to the team. I also think Rooney's starting to look frustrated when they play together seeing passes bounce off him or misplaced passes and so forth.

It's a big summer for Javier. By all accounts he's an amazingly dedicated professional, so I'm sure he'll use his rest well, and work on his game. I'd hate to sell him to be honest. He's one of the most likeable, marketable assets in our team.

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days
He's still pretty young, and his instincts won't go away. As long as he maintains his speed over 5 yards, he'll be a constant threat.

I think he's being misused a lot - he really should just be used in situations where we're going to be on the front foot and creating chances - such as late in games. He's not a true 'United' type forward - he doesn't bring all that much to the team. I also think Rooney's starting to look frustrated when they play together seeing passes bounce off him or misplaced passes and so forth.

It's a big summer for Javier. By all accounts he's an amazingly dedicated professional, so I'm sure he'll use his rest well, and work on his game. I'd hate to sell him to be honest. He's one of the most likeable, marketable assets in our team.
Ferguson found him to be quite the opposite. Best in games where our midfield was getting smothered and defences playing high up against us, he made them fear leaving space in behind and picked up on scraps when things got tight and only a few opportunities arose.

This season he's had more time and space playing a fraction deeper and he's struggled to do anything with it.

Beachryan

More helpful with spreadsheets than Phurry
Ferguson found him to be quite the opposite. Best in games where our midfield was getting smothered and defences playing high up against us, he made them fear leaving space in behind and picked up on scraps when things got tight and only a few opportunities arose.

This season he's had more time and space playing a fraction deeper and he's struggled to do anything with it.
I can't think of a single occasion this season where he successfully did that though. Clearly the opposition have sorted that tactic out, depressingly easily.

(could also have to do with the midfield never playing balls through/ over the top)

RedLars

It's good news. I don't think there's a player in the world that needs the rest and relaxation of a summer off as much as him.

Scots Crusader

I think that the reason he has struggled has a lot to do with the pace we have played the game at to be honest. If a striker is offside, then sometimes, but not all it is down to the pass being made to slowly and the player being offside by the time the pass is made.

With crisper and more fluid, faster interplay I reckon we will see him shine again. But as has already been said, he did look jaded and I think he suffered from little niggly injuriesd at times that disrupted his fitness.

Next season is a biggie for him, here is hoping!!

Status
Not open for further replies.