Jean-Clair Todibo

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
https://www.evertonfc.com/news/3719118/long-read-worth-the-waite

By position on the field, Branthwaite is deployed as a left-footed centre half, but a former coach claims him to be right-footed instead. So which is it?

“I am left-footed, but I’ve got a five-star weak foot on the new FIFA!” he says with a humble but beaming smile as if to hint there is some truth to the claim. As the topic is pushed further, it’s clear he is comfortable on both sides. “If I’m hitting a long pass, I’ll go with my left; short passes with my right.”
I think it was a similar story with John Terry? (And maybe even Johnny Evans at a younger age.)

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
I think it was a similar story with John Terry? (And maybe even Johnny Evans at a younger age.)
I'll be honest I've yet to do a deep analysis about the guy something which I did with Maguire prior to us signing him up. At that time I was one of the very few to highlight his lack of mobility. TBF modern football is demanding too much out of defenders (and Gks) something Pique himself sort of admitted in an interview he made. However if he's the complete package then assuming that we don't get rinsed too much then we should try and sign him up.

devilish

The book value of Maguire is zero this summer. It is very unlikely we will lose anything on him. In fact, we could sell him for £15 mill (half of what WHU offered) and pay him £5 mill and still make a profit of £10 mill. That would probably ensure that we covered the difference between Maguire salary at MUFC and WHU.

We will probably have to cover part of Sancho wages to make him leave (probably a similar amount to the profit from a Maguire-sale). But his book value is not much more than £30 mill. A similar fee to what Dortmund paid for someone liker Haller.

My guess is that we manage to sell both Sancho and Maguire we will not lose much. One will give a profit. The other a loss. In sum, not that bad. And two players, who this season have a cost of £30 mill in wages and £30 mill in depreciations will be off our books.
There are questions in football that are quite straightforward like for example who was the better player between Carra and Rio or who was the better manager between SAF and Souness. Our transfer strategy window is not one of them. There's a million way how to skin that particular cat, we will commit mistakes in it and its probably the hardest thing to get right. I mean we have a deadly mix of

a- a limited budget which will probably be further restrained by our inability to make it to CL football
b- Loads of players who are leaving on free or are too injury prone to be relied upon (Martial, Varane, Shaw, possibly Malacia etc)
c- Loads of players who are not good enough and/or are on silly salary (VDB, Casemiro, Sancho, Antony etc)
d- Players whose attitude/situation might make their situation with United unsustainable (ex Greenwood)
e- Players who might be unsuited for the modern game (Maguire, AWB)

Then there are issues in terms on how much Ashworth will cost us and whether we'll be replacing ETH or not. For the latter there's valid pro (he's a decent manager, he knows our issues inside out, it would cost us 10m to sack him and possibly another 10m to replace him) and anti arguments (he's a system manager who will expect players to be able to fit in a certain way, his man management is a bit meah, his obsession with two no 10s in CM is kind of unsustainable etc). However if we do let him go then I hope we'll go for someone like Inzaghi whose known to be a scavenger (Darmian, Sanchez, Mkhitaryan) and might be able to make due with some of the players we've got and would not fit in a system manager's game

Irrespective of that we need to be smart on the transfer market and make each pound count.

slipperyshoe

There are questions in football that are quite straightforward like for example who was the better player between Carra and Rio or who was the better manager between SAF and Souness. Our transfer strategy window is not one of them. There's a million way how to skin that particular cat, we will commit mistakes in it and its probably the hardest thing to get right. I mean we have a deadly mix of

a- a limited budget which will probably be further restrained by our inability to make it to CL football
b- Loads of players who are leaving on free or are too injury prone to be relied upon (Martial, Varane, Shaw, possibly Malacia etc)
c- Loads of players who are not good enough and/or are on silly salary (VDB, Casemiro, Sancho, Antony etc)
d- Players whose attitude/situation might make their situation with United unsustainable (ex Greenwood)
e- Players who might be unsuited for the modern game (Maguire, AWB)

Then there are issues in terms on how much Ashworth will cost us and whether we'll be replacing ETH or not. For the latter there's valid pro (he's a decent manager, he knows our issues inside out, it would cost us 10m to sack him and possibly another 10m to replace him) and anti arguments (he's a system manager who will expect players to be able to fit in a certain way, his man management is a bit meah, his obsession with two no 10s in CM is kind of unsustainable etc). However if we do let him go then I hope we'll go for someone like Inzaghi whose known to be a scavenger (Darmian, Sanchez, Mkhitaryan) and might be able to make due with some of the players we've got and would not fit in a system manager's game

Irrespective of that we need to be smart on the transfer market and make each pound count.
I couldn’t read in after you compared Rio to Carra and Souness to Sir Alex. They’ve never been compared on the same level in my memory.

devilish

I couldn’t read in after you compared Rio to Carra and Souness to Sir Alex. They’ve never been compared on the same level in my memory.
I wanted to give example of questions that are very easy to answer

Rojofiam

Why would you 'break the bank' for someone who will inevitably be back up to Martinez, as they're both left footed?

For me, if we're going to break the bank, go and test Benfica's resolve for Antonio Silva.
Branthwaite is a much better fit for most teams, including us, than Antonio Silva. There would also not be problems with managing his and Martínez's playtime, as both of them can take up that LB role that Zinchenko does in Arsenal, or the likes of Aké and Gvardiol have at City. There's also always injuries, suspensions and fixture congestion. Branthwaite would be so much more, than just a backup for Martínez.

or a top LB like Theo Hernandez, who would instantly improve our left flank.
I don't see us selling Shaw, who's better than Hernandez anyways, he just needs to be managed better due to his injury issues, and with 3 good options in that position (Shaw, Malacia, Martínez, potentially our new LCB will also be able to play there), will we break the bank for a new left back? Amass will also almost certainly be given a real chance in our first team, in a season or two.

Stam and Johnsen were both Right footed. Same as pique and puyol. Ideally we don't have that but it's not a tragedy if we don't.
Two right footed centre backs is different to two left footed centre backs, mostly due to the passing angles, which is important to ten Hag, as we know, as well as every top manager out there. There's a reason you almost never see two left footed centre backs partnering each other, unless it's a makeshift solution. I've only seen Luis Enrique set up like that. Every top team ideally has a left footed CB and a right footed one next to each other.

aeh1991

I don't see us selling Shaw, who's better than Hernandez anyways, just needs to be managed better due to his injury issues, and with 3 good options in that position, will we break the bank for a new left back?
Malacia is not a good option and we don't know if he'll ever reach his pre-injury form (which wasn't even that convincing at all). Shaw can play as a LB and LCB cover, while we'd have a clear starter. After many years of constant injuries I don't think we can rely another season entirely on Shaw.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Two right footed centre backs is different to two left footed centre backs, mostly due to the passing angles, which is important to ten Hag, as we know, as well as every top manager out there. There's a reason you almost never see two left footed centre backs partnering each other, unless it's a makeshift solution. I've only seen Luis Enrique set up like that. Every top team ideally has a left footed CB and a right footed one next to each other.
It isn’t. I made this same point here years ago - people are always quick to have an issue with two lefties at centre half but never two right footed. It is less common because there are far more top level right footers than left. Back in the traditional 442 days, England struggled for years to find a left footed winger good enough to play on the left wing. There was constant talk about how perfect Giggs would be for England. There just isn’t the same talent pool of lefties.

Branthwaite is comfortable enough to play at RCB, and did so at PSV a fair few times from what I saw.

Rojofiam

Malacia is not a good option and we don't know if he'll ever reach his pre-injury form (which wasn't even that convincing at all). Shaw can play as a LB and LCB cover, while we'd have a clear starter. After many years of constant injuries I don't think we can rely another season entirely on Shaw.
Malacia is fine, don't worry. Regarding his current injury, I think it's very likely that the club or a "third party" doctor messed up his rehabilitation, and that's why he couldn't come back yet. Looking at his injury record, it looks alright. His current injury doesn't mean he's suddenly an injury prone player now, at least until we know the details, but we might never come to that.

I also stated in my reply that we have 3, potentially 4 good options for left back if we sign Branthwaite, or another centre back that can play there. So it wouldn't be relying entirely on Shaw, who I believe could also be managed a lot better, than he has been in recent seasons. My point was that if we sign a left back, it will be similar to the Malacia signing, someone that's a promising, but cheap option, instead of blowing 80m+ on someone like Hernandez, when we already have a top class LB with different alternatives as well, in case he's not available.

It isn’t. I made this same point here years ago - people are always quick to have an issue with two lefties at centre half but never two right footed. It is less common because there are far more top level right footers than left. Back in the traditional 442 days, England struggled for years to find a left footed winger good enough to play on the left wing. There was constant talk about how perfect Giggs would be for England. There just isn’t the same talent pool of lefties.

Branthwaite is comfortable enough to play at RCB, and did so at PSV a fair few times from what I saw.
First of all, I agree that that the talent pool is different for lefties. That's why players like Saka and Salah are so much more valuable IMO, than right footed left wingers, because it's way more difficult to find an elite level left footer for the right side.

However, I disagree that it's not important / isn't an issue at centre back. A left footer in the RCB position has way more difficulties receiving the ball from the keeper, the right back, or his centre back partner, as well as passing to these players. I think it causes problems out of possession too, to be honest. It's just not natural like two right footers.

I know Branthwaite can play there, but I really doubt we'd see it for more than a few games per season.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Well, on this we agree for sure.

How we do that is the tricky part. A defence consisting of Hermoso, Tosin, Martinez and Branthwaite looks risky and not only below Arsenal, Liverpool and City, but also Villa and Spurs.

Last edited:

devilish

Well, on this we agree for sure.

How we do that is the tricky part. A defence consisting of Hermoso, Tosin, Martinez and Branthwaite looks risky and not only below Arsenal, Liverpool and City, but also Villa and Spurs.
Every transfer is a risk but that's not really an issue if it carefully managed. Take Tosin as an example. If he succeeds then we have unearthed a star. If he fails then as long as the salary is realistic and we sell him at the right time (before he becomes a parody) then we'll probably recoup most if not all of the expenditure. That's why I was one of the very few that insisted that United hired the best in class at CEO, Sporting director and HoR level. I remember everyone applauding Berrada when he said that a player who doesn't perform in the next 1-2 years should be shown the door. Which is kind of ironic considering how I got properly pelted when I suggested the same thing regarding Jones, Martial, Bailly and Sancho.

You might think that my transfer list is risky. I dare to say that United need to be bolder then that especially around squad players.I remember back in 96 when our transfer market consisted of two Norwegian nobodies (one from Molde and the other from Besiktas), a goalkeeper from the Dutch league who was older then Schmeichel, Johan Cruyff's talentless son and Karel Poborsky. Taking Poborsky aside, in terms of reputation, those transfers made Hermoso look like a big name signing in comparison. Turned out that the two Norwegian players played a key role in our treble winning run, Rai Van Ger Gouw was probably the most solid keeper we had during the 'dark ages' between Schmeichel and VDS and the biggest name out of the lot ended up one of the biggest flops.

United need a shift in mentality. First of all we need to gamble more on unknown talent both in terms of buying foreign imports (ex Caicedo, Alvarez) and youth talent (think of Lavia). Secondly we can't keep ignoring the free transfer/1 year contract left market. Take Inter for example, Thuram, Onana, Mkhitaryan and Calhanoglu were all brought on a free.

Walters_19_MuFc

Branthwaite is a much better fit for most teams, including us, than Antonio Silva. There would also not be problems with managing his and Martínez's playtime, as both of them can take up that LB role that Zinchenko does in Arsenal, or the likes of Aké and Gvardiol have at City. There's also always injuries, suspensions and fixture congestion. Branthwaite would be so much more, than just a backup for Martínez.
I have no problem with us going in for Branthwaite. My response was to someone who said we should 'break the bank' for a player who probably wouldn't come straight into our starting XI, mainly because I believe ten Hag, where he can, will want a left and right footed player occupying the centre back positions. Therefore, I believe if we are going to 'break the bank', then it should be for a right footed player who you'd imagine would play next to Martinez.

As for the left back/centre back situation, this is why I mentioned Hato. He would be ideal as he has experience playing at both left back and centre back, unlike Branthwaite. He is also quite a bit younger, and im my opinion, better on the ball.

Ultimately, it would look like:

Dalot/Wan-Bissaka - New RCB/Lindelof - Martinez/Hato - Shaw/Hato

Alternatively, we could use Shaw as the LB/CB as ten Hag has done at times, thus focusing on a more of a traditional left back.

Dalot/Wan-Bissaka - New RCB/Lindelof - Martinez/Shaw - New LB/Shaw

Last edited:

Rojofiam

I have no problem with us going in for Branthwaite. My response was to someone who said we should 'break the bank' for a player who probably wouldn't come straight into our starting XI, mainly because I believe ten Hag, where he can, will want a left and right footed player occupying the centre back positions. Therefore, I believe if we are going to 'break the bank', then it should be for a right footed player who you'd imagine would play next to Martinez.

As for the left back/centre back situation, this is why I mentioned Hato. He would be ideal as he has experience playing at both left back and centre back, unlike Branthwaite. He is also quite a bit younger, and im my opinion, better on the ball.

Ultimately, it would look like:

Dalot/Wan-Bissaka - New RCB/Lindelof - Martinez/Hato - Shaw/Hato
Hato is a great prospect, but Ajax would demand similar money for him IMO (60m+), and it's a bigger risk, than Branthwaite.

I understand your concerns about buying a guaranteed starter for big money, because if everyone is fit, only one of Branthwaite or Martínez will start, due to Shaw.

However, like I said, most teams deal with a good amount of injuries, suspensions, and fixture congestion every season. City have several quality players who can play CB/LB, and their minutes need to be managed, but it's not that big of an issue.

I'm fully aware that keeping every player satisfied is a vital part of a manager's job, but at the same time I'm 100% convinced that both Martínez and Branthwaite would get loads of minutes if the latter joins us this summer.

If it can be done for less than 70m, I hope we go for it. Somewhere around 65m would be a fair price IMO, considering the market nowadays.

devilish

I don't see us selling Shaw, who's better than Hernandez anyways, he just needs to be managed better due to his injury issues, and with 3 good options in that position (Shaw, Malacia, Martínez, potentially our new LCB will also be able to play there), will we break the bank for a new left back? Amass will also almost certainly be given a real chance in our first team, in a season or two.

I don't know about that. However according to Branthwaite himself he seem to be comfortable with both feet.

Rojofiam

I don't know about that. However according to Branthwaite himself he seem to be comfortable with both feet.
That's a great bonus to have, but ideally we need two new centre backs. One left footed, one right footed. If we avoid another injury crisis, Branthwaite won't have to play RCB, but like I said, it's good that he can fill in there as well.

Last edited:

Walters_19_MuFc

Hato is a great prospect, but Ajax would demand similar money for him IMO (60m+), and it's a bigger risk, than Branthwaite.

I understand your concerns about buying a guaranteed starter for big money, because if everyone is fit, only one of Branthwaite or Martínez will start, due to Shaw.

However, like I said, most teams deal with a good amount of injuries, suspensions, and fixture congestion every season. City have several quality players who can play CB/LB, and their minutes need to be managed, but it's not that big of an issue.

I'm fully aware that keeping every player satisfied is a vital part of a manager's job, but at the same time I'm 100% convinced that both Martínez and Branthwaite would get loads of minutes if the latter joins us this summer.

If it can be done for less than 70m, I hope we go for it. Somewhere around 65m would be a fair price IMO, considering the market nowadays.
I'm interested to know what back line you'd like to see us start with next season, because there's no way ten Hag will be paying 60M+ for what will effectively be a squad player, especially when we have other priorities.

Last edited:

Rojofiam

I'm interested to know what back line you'd like to see us start with next season, because there's no way ten Hag will be paying 60M+ for what will effectively be a squad player, especially when we have other priorities.
If it was up to me, and we got the two centre backs that I personally would be going for (Diomande & Branthwaite)

Onana - Dalot Diomande Branthwaite Shaw

It's opponent specific, but I'd start the season with Branthwaite ahead of Martínez, and then see how things progress. Martínez would still play a lot of games, both at LCB and LB for me, so it wouldn't be one of them playing 40 matches worth of minutes, and the other only 10-15.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
You might think that my transfer list is risky. I dare to say that United need to be bolder then that especially around squad players.I remember back in 96 when our transfer market consisted of two Norwegian nobodies (one from Molde and the other from Besiktas), a goalkeeper from the Dutch league who was older then Schmeichel, Johan Cruyff's talentless son and Karel Poborsky. Taking Poborsky aside, in terms of reputation, those transfers made Hermoso look like a big name signing in comparison. Turned out that the two Norwegian players played a key role in our treble winning run, Rai Van Ger Gouw was probably the most solid keeper we had during the 'dark ages' between Schmeichel and VDS and the biggest name out of the lot ended up one of the biggest flops.
But the difference from most of those is that both Hermoso and Tosin has proven what they can do at the highest level. But they have also proven a few big shortcomings. They might be low risk, but in my opinion they are not high reward.

devilish

But the difference from most of those is that both Hermoso and Tosin has proven what they can do at the highest level. But they have also proven a few big shortcomings. They might be low risk, but in my opinion they are not high reward.
Ole was 23 when he joined us, Johnsen was 27 having spent most of his career with elite clubs like Tonsberg, Lyn, Lillestrom and of course the mighty Besiktas, Van Der Gouw was 33 when he joined. SAF needed a goalkeeper who wouldn't mind watching Schmeichel play. The expectations weren't great for them either and quite frankly they don't need to. Squad players need to be dependable players who wouldn't mind sitting on the bench and wouldn't cost the club a fortune in salaries and fees. Once their time is up. In comparision Hermoso and Tosin Adarabioyo aren't too shabby. Tosin has 2 EPL seasons experience under his belt while Hermoso had played with Atletico Madrid. The former is an aerial beast and is not slow for his size while the latter provide cover and ample experience both as LB and CB. United's problem is that we tend to give silly money (fees and salary) to squad players which end up burdening the club + it makes it impossible to sell them up in the future. I mentioned some great buys but we had many duds as well from Djemba Djemba right to Kleberson. We managed to recoup most of the fee (2m loss on the Djemba twins while 3m loss on Kleberson). That's how smart deals on squad players should be made. There will be loads of duds but it takes 1 good deal, an Ole, a Johnsen, a Haaland, a Schmeichel, a Bellingham, a Caicedo to make it worth its while and I assure you there are times when that gem is the player you least expect. I remember Inter buying in bulk four SA players during the 95-96 season. The most rated one was a certain Rambert while the most expensive was a Brazilian striker known as Caio whom the Italian media had hyped as the next Romario having won the golden ball in the 1995 FIFA World Youth Championship. Both flopped spectacularly. Then the two other SA players who came with a low profile turned out to be, well, Javier Zanetti and Roberto Carlos

Behind the right goal post as "Whiteside shoots!"
Varane is leaving, Evans is ancient, Lindelof and Maguire aren't good enough and there's question marks around Martinez. I'd say sell Lindelof and Maguire, add Adarabioyo and Mario Hermoso on a free and break the bank of Braithwaite
21, first real season (at anywhere near top level) and while he looks tidy, I’ve not seen anything to think he’s “the one” and definitely not a player I’d want to break the bank for… in our recent win over them, we were average at best and he still looked dodgy to me

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
If it was up to me, and we got the two centre backs that I personally would be going for (Diomande & Branthwaite)

Onana - Dalot Diomande Branthwaite Shaw

It's opponent specific, but I'd start the season with Branthwaite ahead of Martínez, and then see how things progress. Martínez would still play a lot of games, both at LCB and LB for me, so it wouldn't be one of them playing 40 matches worth of minutes, and the other only 10-15.
Hes not better than Martinez and those fullbacks need upgrading.

Cassidy

Dalot doesn’t need any upgrading, Shaw needs a credible alternative.
Yes he does (he is inconsistent), and Shaw needs to not be relied upon (he is also inconsistent, mainly due to his availability)

Berbasbullet

Too Boring For A Funny Tagline
Yes he does (he is inconsistent), and Shaw needs to not be relied upon (he is also inconsistent, mainly due to his availability)
Neh I don’t agree, he’s been brilliant this season and needs to keep playing. If we upgrade him he will leave. He’s the least of our problems.

Agree about Shaw.

Dempsey19

Dalot could easily be our player of the year. One of our better performing players. Much better than that other clown at RB.

Rojofiam

Hes not better than Martinez and those fullbacks need upgrading.
1. I didn't say he was better, only that I'd start the season with Branthwaite at LCB and then see what needs to be tweaked. You also need to understand that there's no real "starting back four", or "starting 11", as it's very rare that your best possible team starts week in, week out, without changes.

2. Shaw is great, just injury prone. You can't really "upgrade" on him qualitatively. If we cannot manage him better than previously (I hope we can, if Ineos make changes to the medical department), then there's still a few world class years in him.

3. Dalot has improved significantly, and has been the opposite of "inconsistent" this season.

A Shaw-Dalot pairing is one of the best full back duos out there, if the former can improve on his availability, and the latter keeps up this season's level. We will need to buy new full backs in the next couple of transfer windows, but "upgrading" is the wrong term IMO. It would be difficult to upgrade on them.

devilish

21, first real season (at anywhere near top level) and while he looks tidy, I’ve not seen anything to think he’s “the one” and definitely not a player I’d want to break the bank for… in our recent win over them, we were average at best and he still looked dodgy to me
Its very rare for a 6ft5 to be as mobile and as comfortable with the ball as he is. Anyone in the forum can tell you that I don't share the 'British' bias. I was totally against the Maguire deal and I was even labelled an anglophobe for criticizing his mobility prior to a move with us. But this guy seems to be the complete package

I wouldn't read too much at the moment. Dyche is stuck to the 80s

Cassidy

Dalot could easily be our player of the year. One of our better performing players. Much better than that other clown at RB.
Of the year now go back and look at the previous 3 years. See Rashford last season to this as an example. Consistency is not about having a good single season

We should buy a good RB who has good quality and upside and let them fight it out. Based on body of work Dalot does not deserve to be a guaranteed starter or have his position protected by us not investing there and he should certainly be looked at for replacement in the 11 before Martinez

Cassidy

1. I didn't say he was better, only that I'd start the season with Branthwaite at LCB and then see what needs to be tweaked. You also need to understand that there's no real "starting back four", or "starting 11", as it's very rare that your best possible team starts week in, week out, without changes.

2. Shaw is great, just injury prone. You can't really "upgrade" on him qualitatively. If we cannot manage him better than previously (I hope we can, if Ineos make changes to the medical department), then there's still a few world class years in him.

3. Dalot has improved significantly, and has been the opposite of "inconsistent" this season.

A Shaw-Dalot pairing is one of the best full back duos out there, if the former can improve on his availability, and the latter keeps up this season's level. We will need to buy new full backs in the next couple of transfer windows, but "upgrading" is the wrong term IMO. It would be difficult to upgrade on them.
The word consistent extends beyond a season. Some fans never learn the lesson. Happened with Shaw, Rashford etc now Dalot

Rojofiam

The word consistent extends beyond a season. Some fans never learn the lesson. Happened with Shaw, Rashford etc now Dalot
You might've misunderstood me. I'm all for signing right-back and left-back competition as well, but you won't find an upgrade on this season's Dalot or an in-form Shaw. If Dalot keeps playing at his current level, and Shaw is managed better, we won't need upgrades, we'll need competition for them. I don't think it's a huge priority this summer, though. 2 CBs, DM, RW, Striker all needed

aeh1991

I don't understand why so many would still trust Luke Shaw to stay fit for 60 games. We struggled without him so many times. He is a great player but he should become the first LB/LCB backup and we could also rotate Martinez more often. A strong, consistent LB like Theo Hernandez for 70m would be much better spent than the same amount on a young CB like Branthwaite.

Rojofiam

I don't understand why so many would still trust Luke Shaw to stay fit for 60 games. We struggled without him so many times. He is a great player but he should become the first LB/LCB backup and we could also rotate Martinez more often. A strong, consistent LB like Theo Hernandez for 70m would be much better spent than the same amount on a young CB like Branthwaite.
Shaw/Hernández/Malacia/Martínez is overkill, and we can't keep all of them satisfied

If you look at our current CB options, only Martínez is perfect for possession football and ten Hag's ideas. No matter who our manager is at the start of next season, this statement will probably still be true. We ideally need 2 new centre backs, so why would spending big money on a 4th left back be the better use of our money?

JohnnyLaw

Shaw/Hernández/Malacia/Martínez is overkill, and we can't keep all of them satisfied

If you look at our current CB options, only Martínez is perfect for possession football and ten Hag's ideas. No matter who our manager is at the start of next season, this statement will probably still be true. We ideally need 2 new centre backs, so why would spending big money on a 4th left back be the better use of our money?
I don’t think it is. Especially with Shaws, Martinez’ and Malacias ongoing injury problems.
And Martinez isn’t an option at left back, this is only an idea because people want to shoehorn Branthwaithe. ETH said previously that he doesn’t have the running power to play in midfield and the same is most likely true for LB.

Martinez/Shaw and Hernendez/Malacia with Shaw coming being first choice to come on for either and Malacia coming in for the odd game when we need to rotate. I think this is the smoothest way to proceed, we have quality in depth and most players also stay content.

Bringing in Branthwaithe would add stability and quality in depth to our CB area and I’d be very happy to have him, but we’d be left short on quality LBs and have two high profile players in direct contention.

VP89

Pogba's biggest fan

Shaw and Malacia have effectively missed the whole season. It's going to take tremendous luck to get one of them back and available for long periods of next season.

Cassidy

You might've misunderstood me. I'm all for signing right-back and left-back competition as well, but you won't find an upgrade on this season's Dalot or an in-form Shaw. If Dalot keeps playing at his current level, and Shaw is managed better, we won't need upgrades, we'll need competition for them. I don't think it's a huge priority this summer, though. 2 CBs, DM, RW, Striker all needed
“You wont find an upgrade on this season Dalot or an inform Shaw”

Thats a crazy statement Dalot is not the best RB in football (even if you go by this season form) hes not even the best in the league this season

Also if we’re signing “competition” they should be as least as good or have potential to be better.

Rojofiam

“You wont find an upgrade on this season Dalot or an inform Shaw”

Thats a crazy statement Dalot is not the best RB in football (even if you go by this season form) hes not even the best in the league this season

Also if we’re signing “competition” they should be as least as good or have potential to be better.
So who are the better right backs you're gonna pry away from other clubs? Walker, Cancelo, Reece James, Trent?

There's no one available that's better than Dalot is what I meant, not that he's the best right back in the world

Cassidy

So who are the better right backs you're gonna pry away from other clubs? Walker, Cancelo, Reece James, Trent?

There's no one available that's better than Dalot is what I meant, not that he's the best right back in the world
Your statement is false. There are RBs out there better than Dalot who we could look to target. Football exists outside of the PL