Jean-Clair Todibo

Yea, if we can't get this over the line it shows we really haven't made much progress with the new regime.

This should be the least complicated deal ever to complete if we’re genuinely interested. However, it is United and we’re expects at making the simple seem difficult.
I am quietly optimistic about this transfer window. I think INOES will get the transfers done in stealth and we won't see long drawn out public negotiations. It may be an interest that turns into deal done in 48 hours etc.

That being said we don't have everyone in the seat yet so I could be wrong.

Big difference between saying Martinez is bad in the air because he’s short and that our back line would be murdered in the air with one of AWB and Dalot with a central pairing of Todibo and Martinez then Shaw at left back.

For his size Martinez is good in the air but he’s average at best as far as aerial duels percentages in the league, Varane was the aerially dominant one and Maguire when he played and to pretend otherwise is flat out untrue.

Since when did Dalot and Shaw become bad aerially?

He’s ours. I’m sure of that. And this 21m price further confirms to me it’s Ineos who intentionally lowered this price so that we get him on cheap to strengthen our budget for the summer.
We’ll sign him later in the window not now to focus on other players.

He’s ours. I’m sure of that. And this 21m price further confirms to me it’s Ineos who intentionally lowered this price so that we get him on cheap to strengthen our budget for the summer.
We’ll sign him later in the window not now to focus on other players.
I'm not sure this outlet is very reliable, and they still need to present fair market value in the transactions.

I'm not sure this outlet is very reliable, and they still need to present fair market value in the transactions.

I dont think they need to present fair market value. Players go for cheap all the time, same as players going for more money than they are worth.,.. Antony was not fair market value.

I dont think they need to present fair market value. Players go for cheap all the time, same as players going for more money than they are worth.,.. Antony was not fair market value.
They need to present it if it's a purchase between two clubs with the same owner. Romano mentioned this at least, and I think Ben Jacobs might have too.

Fair enough but I still think we are getting him for a reasonable price somewhere around 35m.

We have to be smart with our funds this summer. This guy for £21million, Thuram for £20million or so are smart upgrades that would fill first team spots next season but probably end up as rotational squad options as we move forward. If we offload Maguire plus others (sancho etc) we can then go after a Yoro / Branthwaite type

Todibo seems to have dropped off most of the competitions radar, which is telling in a negative to me...

Or maybe the competition aren’t bothering because of our link with Nice and obvious need for a player like him.

Looks like a lot of clubs in France might be looking to sell in the summer. From the FT.

French football is on the verge of crisis just two years into an investment deal with private equity firm CVC Capital Partners, as the league operator struggles to find a broadcaster for the coming season and clubs brace for a summer cash crunch.

Ligue de Football Professionnel, which operates the top two tiers of French football, has been trying to secure its next TV deal since October, but its ambitions of raising as much as €1bn from the sale have been dashed by weak demand.

Leonard Blavatnik-owned streamer DAZN and Qatari sports broadcaster beIN were the two main prospects for the 2024 to 2029 rights after the current deal with Amazon expired.

However, the rights auction collapsed in October after failing to drum up a single bid at the reserve price of about €800mn. LFP has since been holding talks directly with interested parties, but no deal has yet materialised. LFP president Vincent Labrune has delayed the league’s annual general meeting, scheduled for the first week of June, until the end of the month, at which time he promised to “propose a definitive solution”.

One media executive blamed “incompetence” at the league for the current situation, another called the auction process a “total shitshow”.

A person close to the league disputed that a crisis was brewing and expressed confidence that a deal for the domestic broadcast rights would soon be reached.

Looks like a lot of clubs in France might be looking to sell in the summer. From the FT.

French football is on the verge of crisis just two years into an investment deal with private equity firm CVC Capital Partners, as the league operator struggles to find a broadcaster for the coming season and clubs brace for a summer cash crunch.

Ligue de Football Professionnel, which operates the top two tiers of French football, has been trying to secure its next TV deal since October, but its ambitions of raising as much as €1bn from the sale have been dashed by weak demand.

Leonard Blavatnik-owned streamer DAZN and Qatari sports broadcaster beIN were the two main prospects for the 2024 to 2029 rights after the current deal with Amazon expired.

However, the rights auction collapsed in October after failing to drum up a single bid at the reserve price of about €800mn. LFP has since been holding talks directly with interested parties, but no deal has yet materialised. LFP president Vincent Labrune has delayed the league’s annual general meeting, scheduled for the first week of June, until the end of the month, at which time he promised to “propose a definitive solution”.

One media executive blamed “incompetence” at the league for the current situation, another called the auction process a “total shitshow”.

A person close to the league disputed that a crisis was brewing and expressed confidence that a deal for the domestic broadcast rights would soon be reached.

Losing Mbappe will have such a ripple effect. I can't imagine many people around the world wanting to tune into France....United should start shopping around for bargains.

So this looking more likely now then? I've heard people say he's very quick and very good on the ball but he's not very good in the air?

Whenever I've watched him he's fine in the air. Not dominant like a Smalling or whoever, but not a weakness.

I'd say he's good on the ball in the sense of composure and playing out of the press. Very comfortable in that respect. On the other hand, his forward passing when not under pressure is unambitious, a bit like Varane. He can make a nice diagonal ball to the winger if they're in space, and he will ping one over for a strong CF to jockey for. But he is nowhere near being a progressive passer in the Martinez mode.

Ultimately I don't think that would be a problem. If we're playing out not under pressure, then the likes of Martinez, Dalot, Shaw, Mainoo are all more than capable of taking the ball and making the progressive pass. The key thing is to get a RCB in who will complete a press-resistant back 5. Onana, Dalot, Todibo, Martinez, Shaw would be that.

His best asset is his positioning. Very rarely caught out of position. Often manages really key interventions by virtue of his reading of the game. Mbappe is such a good test of this quality because he combines so much pace with really crafty movement, and Todibo handled him beautifully at Parc des Princes in September. Got the better of him every time he was matched up with him. The goals both came when Mbappe pulled onto someone else (notably Ndayishimiye for his first goal).

For me Todibo's the safest of our CB targets. We surely won't get overcharged by Nice. He reasonably ticks the key boxes even if he doesn't necessarily have the ceiling of a starlet like Yoro. He's 24 so his game is relatively mature and we know what we're getting, but he's also still a sensibly age to buy from a business perspective.

Last edited:
All the incredible aerial defenders we’ve had over the years - Stam, Vidic, Pallister and more, but lads are using Smalling as the measure of being dominant in the air?

That lad must have the best PR team in the business.

All the incredible aerial defenders we’ve had over the years - Stam, Vidic, Pallister and more, but lads are using Smalling as the measure of being dominant in the air?

That lad must have the best PR team in the business.

Used Smalling precisely because I didn't want to be comparing to one of our greatest defenders ever, just to an average defender we have had whose strength was his aerial dominance.

But go off king etc etc

Whenever I've watched him he's fine in the air. Not dominant like a Smalling or whoever, but not a weakness.

I'd say he's good on the ball in the sense of composure and playing out of the press. Very comfortable in that respect. On the other hand, his forward passing when not under pressure is unambitious, a bit like Varane. He can make a nice diagonal ball to the winger if they're in space, and he will ping one over for a strong CF to jockey for. But he is nowhere near being a progressive passer in the Martinez mode.

Ultimately I don't think that would be a problem. If we're playing out not under pressure, then the likes of Martinez, Dalot, Shaw, Mainoo are all more than capable of taking the ball and making the progressive pass. The key thing is to get a RCB in who will complete a press-resistant back 5. Onana, Dalot, Todibo, Martinez, Shaw would be that.

His best asset is his positioning. Very rarely caught out of position. Often manages really key interventions by virtue of his reading of the game. Mbappe is such a good test of this quality because he combines so much pace with really crafty movement, and Todibo handled him beautifully at Parc des Princes in September. Got the better of him every time he was matched up with him. The goals both came when Mbappe pulled onto someone else (notably Ndayishimiye for his first goal).

For me Todibo's the safest of our CB targets. We surely won't get overcharged by Nice. He reasonably ticks the key boxes even if he doesn't necessarily have the ceiling of a starlet like Yoro. He's 24 so his game is relatively mature and we know what we're getting, but he's also still a sensibly age to buy from a business perspective.
Very good summary I think. I highly doubt we have any shot at Yoro, and Branthwaite is massively overpriced.

Todibo at a sensible fee would be very good business I think.

It's just smart business to get this guy at that price. That being said I'd hope we'd still be looking at a Yoro type as well if we can shift Maguire / Lindelof.

This guy is terrible at aerial duels as a CB. We already have Martinez, we need someone that's very capable in the air amongst other things.

We have to be smart with our funds this summer. This guy for £21million, Thuram for £20million or so are smart upgrades that would fill first team spots next season but probably end up as rotational squad options as we move forward. If we offload Maguire plus others (sancho etc) we can then go after a Yoro / Branthwaite type
Isn’t this guy supposed to be poor in the air? Do we really want to replace Varane with someone who doesn’t compliment Martinez, if that is the case?