Jeremie Frimpong

Status
Not open for further replies.

cyberman

How are you linking tracking back, pressing and tough to get past with tackles?

The same way that AWB can make sideways and backwards passes, but doesn't progress the ball much, this is alluding to a similar case. What's the problem?
AWB is actually fantastic at progressing the ball up the pitch?

georgipep

So what is the statistical basis for calling him "amazing at tracking back"?
I would take distance stats but they are not easily available online, so can't confirm. Also, the fact that, as you rightfully pointed out, he is given full reign over the right wing, to me means that his manager trusts him to also defend, wouldn't you agree?

Unfortunately, I don't have access to wyscout data, which can tell us what part of attacks against Bayer are coming from Frimpong's zone.

Except the "analysis" mentions Frimpong as " establishing himself as a key starter at RB. ". He doesn't compare him to players in a similar role (he doesn't seem to be aware of Frimpong's tactical role), but compares him to regular RBs, who - on average - play in far, far deeper positions, where progressive passes come much more easily?

The author has clearly indicated that Frimpong is far from the most defensive options. Transfermarkt put Frimpong as RB for his main position. Whoscored put him as RWB first and RB second. Regardless, I'm sure ETH would love the versatility, and even his ability to play RW when required.

georgipep

Xabi already played with such attacking full backs at Real Sociedad. So unless you want to suggest he did that in anticipation of Leverkusen signing Frimpong, Leverkusen firing Bosz, employing Seoane, firing Seoane, then signing himself as replacement, your claim is nonsense. Frimpong is a really gritty defender and the fact that he's so incredibly fast and has an engine like few others allows him to cover his side even despite playing very high.
How does the fact that he played attacking fullbacks relate to this at all? Every manager assess their squad and plays to their strength.

zaafi

No, there's no truth in it. It is just perception and the average English football fan's complex driven exceptionalism. If you don't agree, that's on you, but to be honest, I'm weary of discussing a notion that's been proven wrong so many times that sticking to it can only be explained with plain ignorance.
Are you seriously suggesting Bundesliga is as tough and intense as Premier League? How has it been proved wrong when professionals themselves admit this league is way more intense than other leagues they've played in? You can clearly see the difference in intensity from Premier League to Bundesliga.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
Are you seriously suggesting Bundesliga is as tough and intense as Premier League? How has it been proved wrong when professionals themselves admit this league is way more intense than other leagues they've played in? You can clearly see the difference in intensity from Premier League to Bundesliga.
Just ignore that poster, he has a giant stick up his arse for anything Bundesliga. Funny how he is lecturing about complex, when vast majority of his posts radiate that energy. Not worth wasting your time.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
How does the fact that he played attacking fullbacks relate to this at all? Every manager assess their squad and plays to their strength.
Well, if his usage of attacking full backs predates him coaching Frimpong you can hardly argue that he only plays him as an attacking fullback so that he doesn't need to defend, no?

You know, they are currently playing in the EPL. Do you think it would be clever to say something like "nah, I don't find it particularly challenging here"?

That aside, I already told you I'm not going to have this discussion again :) If you want to be proven wrong so badly, just use the search function.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
I would take distance stats but they are not easily available online, so can't confirm. Also, the fact that, as you rightfully pointed out, he is given full reign over the right wing, to me means that his manager trusts him to also defend, wouldn't you agree?

Unfortunately, I don't have access to wyscout data, which can tell us what part of attacks against Bayer are coming from Frimpong's zone.
If the article came to the conclusion that he's amazing at tracking back it should be visible in the data presented by the article, shouldn't it? I don't see indiciation in the article that the author is aware of Frimpong's tactical role, he called him a RB after all. And Leverkusen use a back three and two CMs, who are somewhat defensively sound, so I don't see reason to say that Xabi trusts him to keep the wing shut by himself. Which he clearly doesn't anyway, going by his non existant defensive stats.

The author has clearly indicated that Frimpong is far from the most defensive options. Transfermarkt put Frimpong as RB for his main position. Whoscored put him as RWB first and RB second. Regardless, I'm sure ETH would love the versatility, and even his ability to play RW when required.
" Strengths [...] an amazing tracker back, great presser & very tough to get past "

No mention of defensive qualities in weaknesses, other than " His high energy style also leads to low pressure success. ".

" establishing himself as a key starter at RB. "

If you look closer you will see that most (all?) of the time he was played as a "RB" they balanced him out by playing a CB at LB.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
If the article came to the conclusion that he's amazing at tracking back it should be visible in the data presented by the article, shouldn't it? I don't see indiciation in the article that the author is aware of Frimpong's tactical role, he called him a RB after all. And Leverkusen use a back three and two CMs, who are somewhat defensively sound, so I don't see reason to say that Xabi trusts him to keep the wing shut by himself. Which he clearly doesn't anyway, going by his non existant defensive stats.

" Strengths [...] an amazing tracker back, great presser & very tough to get past "

No mention of defensive qualities in weaknesses, other than " His high energy style also leads to low pressure success. ".

If you look closer you will see that most (all?) of the time he was played as a "RB" they balanced him out by playing a CB at LB.
Frimpong was deployed as a RB under Seoane in a four at the back system before Alonso, too. Moreover, Alonso often plays a 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 against the ball with one of the CBs becoming a left back, usually Hincapie. Frimpong is definitely defending as a RB at times. And he's obviously amazing at tracking back. I'm also not sure how you'd expect this to show in the quoted data. You'd need something like "successful tackles after tracking back" or "fast cover runs" or something like this. But from witnessing him, he's no Meunier (;)) but definitely great at it.

georgipep

Well, if his usage of attacking full backs predates him coaching Frimpong you can hardly argue that he only plays him as an attacking fullback so that he doesn't need to defend, no?
I am not arguing that he is using him as an attacking fullback because he doesn't need to defend. I wrote that he is likely using him either as per his desired tactical needs or to maximise the value he can get out of the player based on their skillset.

georgipep

Again, I don't have access to wyscout stats (which the author does) and can't answer some of your questions. But Frimpong is classified as RB in more places than he isn't. So there's that.

I'm not even sure what are you arguing here?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Again, I don't have access to wyscout stats (which the author does) and can't answer some of your questions. But Frimpong is classified as RB in more places than he isn't. So there's that.

I'm not even sure what are you arguing here?
" All stats are from Fbref.com "

Should have been easy to find then? My point is that the article is horse shit.

Frimpong was deployed as a RB under Seoane in a four at the back system before Alonso, too. Moreover, Alonso often plays a 4-4-2 or 4-2-3-1 against the ball with one of the CBs becoming a left back, usually Hincapie. Frimpong is definitely defending as a RB at times. And he's obviously amazing at tracking back. I'm also not sure how you'd expect this to show in the quoted data. You'd need something like "successful tackles after tracking back" or "fast cover runs" or something like this. But from witnessing him, he's no Meunier (;)) but definitely great at it.
The article claimed that statistical analysis showed it, so I expect it to show up in the stats - otherwise the analysis would be horse shit, wouldn't it? And Frimpong is playing so high up the pitch, he couldn't track back in time on a lot of attacks, even if he wanted to. I'm sure he's also getting into some deep defensive situation eventually, but the way Leverkusen is utilizing him is highly specific, which makes it hard to compare his stat to that of others or to flat out say how well he'd do elsewhere.

Last edited:

georgipep

" All stats are from Fbref.com "

Should have been easy to find then?
The stats in the article are from fbref and I can find them easily. The stats about pressures and zones of chances created, however, are not from fbref, and as such can't show you those.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
The stats in the article are from fbref and I can find them easily. The stats about pressures and zones of chances created, however, are not from fbref, and as such can't show you those.
Let me rephrase: all stats, which the article is based on, are taking from FBref.com, as per the author. So if the article is stating a claim you should be able to verify it in the stats on FBref.

georgipep

Let me rephrase: all stats, which the article is based on, are taking from FBref.com, as per the author. So if the article is stating a claim you should be able to verify it in the stats on FBref.
I got that the first time. I meant that the author has access to wyscout. Whether he has built his opinion on Frimpong and the other candidates via wyscout, watching them play or something else, I cannot speculate.

Point is, I cannot show you the pressing stats, neither those that would prove if Frimpong is tracking back or allowing chances from his zone.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
Decent going forward isnt he :lol:

NoPace

I could see this becoming a proper bidding war between us and Arsenal, who could just move Tomiyasu to CB or sell him and Holding and buy Frimpong and an RCB. They were crying out for an attacking option today and while White did well, he's probably the more defensive option in a combo at RB long-term.

OT_United

Because while AWB has certainly improved in form, he simply isn't the right profile of fullback for an ETH team. That's been clear before ETH even arrived.

As is ETH is playing a compromised version of the sort of football he'd like to play, working around the limitations of some of our players. But the goal is to move beyond that. Which means moving on bad players, but also moving on decent players who don't fit.
Agree with everything you're saying. But why focus on getting a back-up right back when we already have two decent options there, when there are other positions we need more urgently.
GK, CB, CM and ST are higher priority I would have thought.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
Agree with everything you're saying. But why focus on getting a back-up right back when we already have two decent options there, when there are other positions we need more urgently.
GK, CB, CM and ST are higher priority I would have thought.
We dont have two decent options there. They are not very good (not for a top 10 PL club anyway). And they dont fit.

You really think a CB, considering the form of Varane/Martinez is important?

aeh1991

The thing is that while I think Frimpong would make us much better in attack, I believe his defending is not better than Dalot's. Maybe as a right counterpart to the more defensive-minded Shaw it could work, but it feels like most of the conceded goals happened due to a defensive error from the right side, so I am unsure whether Frimpong will solve those problems. Maybe having a huge upgrade on Dalot's attacking is enough, but wouldn't it be wiser to go for a more balanced option? Gusto would have been the perfect longterm solution...

Reactions: Cheimoon

Lash

Supports
Millwall, Saint-Etienne
The thing is that while I think Frimpong would make us much better in attack, I believe his defending is not better than Dalot's. Maybe as a right counterpart to the more defensive-minded Shaw it could work, but it feels like most of the conceded goals happened due to a defensive error from the right side, so I am unsure whether Frimpong will solve those problems. Maybe having a huge upgrade on Dalot's attacking is enough, but wouldn't it be wiser to go for a more balanced option? Gusto would have been the perfect longterm solution...
Dalots issue isn't really his defending, it's his careless passing.

OT_United

We dont have two decent options there. They are not very good (not for a top 10 PL club anyway). And they dont fit.

You really think a CB, considering the form of Varane/Martinez is important?
Sorry pal massively disagree there. Dalot fits into the system and AWB is a solid back-up option as he's proven this season.
Absolutley, we know Varane's injury record. With Maguire, Lindelof, Jones & Tuanzebe likely to be moved on this summer we definitely need a strong 3rd CB, Kim Min-jae ideally.

Varun1

Dalots issue isn't really his defending, it's his careless passing.
Sorry pal massively disagree there. Dalot fits into the system and AWB is a solid back-up option as he's proven this season.
Absolutley, we know Varane's injury record. With Maguire, Lindelof, Jones & Tuanzebe likely to be moved on this summer we definitely need a strong 3rd CB, Kim Min-jae ideally.
I never saw what Dalot offered, even when he was apparently in form before the WC.

I'd rather have AWB in the team for his defending. Dalot is average at attacking and defending imo.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
At least can disagree on disagreeing! ;)

I would prefer having a right back that could either

A) Be almost as a third CB, similar to Shaw/Walker. An inverted fullback. A player like that would have to be a good defender and good in the build up. That is the way we often use Dalot. I do think he is ok, but he is really dodgy as a defender. Ideally, someone like Timber would fit the profile.

Or

B) A very good attacker. Similar to Trent, James, Cancelo etc. I think that is what we get linked to Dumfries/Frimpong. I also think a player like that would have a major impact on Antony. Supporters are frustrated that Antony always cuts inside. Ten Hag knew that when he signed him, but wants him in combination with a right back who always makes runs on the outside of him.

There has been links to both Dumfries and Frimpong. These players have npxg+xa per 90 min of 0,4 and 0,54. Dalot and AWB is at 0,2 and 0,1. While the former two have approx 4 touches in the oppositions penalty area every match, AWB and Dalot have less than 2 per match.

I also think the number of entries into the box, either «carries» or passes, is significantly different.

The biggest problem for AWB is that he is not good enough in the build up to be an «inverted fullback»/3rd CB and is not good enough going forward to be an attacking one. While he is a good defender on one on one, he also has a few major flaws as a defender making him less suited for being the inverted fullback.

EtH has mostly used him as a wide fullback pushing higher up than Dalot. Less involved in build up, more involved in attacking third. But he offers very little going forward. Not much of a goal threat and not good at creating or linking up.

Adnan

Talent Spotter

A) Be almost as a third CB, similar to Shaw/Walker. An inverted fullback. A player like that would have to be a good defender and good in the build up. That is the way we often use Dalot. I do think he is ok, but he is really dodgy as a defender. Ideally, someone like Timber would fit the profile.

Or

B) A very good attacker. Similar to Trent, James, Cancelo etc. I think that is what we get linked to Dumfries/Frimpong. I also think a player like that would have a major impact on Antony. Supporters are frustrated that Antony always cuts inside. Ten Hag knew that when he signed him, but wants him in combination with a right back who always makes runs on the outside of him.

There has been links to both Dumfries and Frimpong. These players have npxg+xa per 90 min of 0,4 and 0,54. Dalot and AWB is at 0,2 and 0,1. While the former two have approx 4 touches in the oppositions penalty area every match, AWB and Dalot have less than 2 per match.

I also think the number of entries into the box, either «carries» or passes, is significantly different.

The biggest problem for AWB is that he is not good enough in the build up to be an «inverted fullback»/3rd CB and is not good enough going forward to be an attacking one. While he is a good defender on one on one, he also has a few major flaws as a defender making him less suited for being the inverted fullback.

EtH has mostly used him as a wide fullback pushing higher up than Dalot. Less involved in build up, more involved in attacking third. But he offers very little going forward. Not much of a goal threat and not good at creating or linking up.
I completely agree.

You've covered everything in this post as to why it would be beneficial for us to sign a RB with the correct attributes.

OT_United

Or

Completely get your point here, and I think that's what ETH will do, whether that is this summer or next.
Just think this summer RB isn't a priority.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout

Or

Great post. Completely agree.

andersj

Nick Powell Expert
I completely agree.

You've covered everything in this post as to why it would be beneficial for us to sign a RB with the correct attributes.
Great post. Completely agree.
Thanks! Thinking more of it, I guess it makes sense that EtH is looking for a natural attacking fullback for the right fullback position considering we have two fullbacks on the left more suited as inverted fullbacks.

Especially considering the 316/325 setup we see more and more.

redcucumber

Or

Great post, completely agree. Antony and Sancho would both benefit massively from a fullback that challenges the opposition and keeps them on the back foot, allowing our right winger more space and time to cause damage and find openings.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Thanks! Thinking more of it, I guess it makes sense that EtH is looking for a natural attacking fullback for the right fullback position considering we have two fullbacks on the left more suited as inverted fullbacks.

Yup. Can’t see anything other than a natural overlapper coming in.

Or Laird being given a chance potentially?

Adnan

Talent Spotter

Agreed.

A natural attacking fullback with Frimpong's attributes is what any progressive minded head coach would want imo . And from reading the thoughts of the regular Leverkusen/Bundesliga fans, it seems like Frimpong is more rounded as a player than some give him credit for.

When you have a fullback/wingback with good touch and technique, along with explosive pace. Then it will create a doubt in the opponent's mind on how far they should overcommit when attacking. Liverpool's Robertson had no fear against us in the previous league game, because we have 3 positions in the defensive third (Gk, RB, CM) currently that invite the opposition forward due to the aforementioned being a weakness on the ball in the build up phase and a weakness when it comes to shot prevention due to a lack of sweeping/cross claiming as far as the keeper is concerned and a lack of technical quality and assertiveness when it comes to the CM or RB options.

I think replacing De Gea, Wan Bissaka and Fred in the first team and having Dalot as a back up RB would go a long way towards making us a more proactive attacking team going forward. And theoretically, that should improve us going forward and that should imo result in preventing shots/chances against us due to playing higher up the pitch.

The attack begins with the players at the back and the defense starts with players in the final third.

Sarni

nice guy, unassuming, objective United fan.
With Bayern buying Cancelo, what’s that former Ajax lad up to? Mazraoui?
Bayern have only loaned Cancelo and given that he's barely been playing lately and his buy option is high I doubt they're going to make it permanent.

BenitoSTARR

One Minute Man
Scout
Agreed.

A natural attacking fullback with Frimpong's attributes is what any progressive minded head coach would want imo . And from reading the thoughts of the regular Leverkusen/Bundesliga fans, it seems like Frimpong is more rounded as a player than some give him credit for.

When you have a fullback/wingback with good touch and technique, along with explosive pace. Then it will create a doubt in the opponent's mind on how far they should overcommit when attacking. Liverpool's Robertson had no fear against us in the previous league game, because we have 3 positions in the defensive third (Gk, RB, CM) currently that invite the opposition forward due to the aforementioned being a weakness on the ball in the build up phase and a weakness when it comes to shot prevention due to a lack of sweeping/cross claiming as far as the keeper is concerned and a lack of technical quality and assertiveness when it comes to the CM or RB options.

I think replacing De Gea, Wan Bissaka and Fred in the first team and having Dalot as a back up RB would go a long way towards making us a more proactive attacking team going forward. And theoretically, that should improve us going forward and that should imo result in preventing shots/chances against us due to playing higher up the pitch.

The attack begins with the players at the back and the defense starts with players in the final third.
I’d be delighted with:
GK - Raya
RB - Frimpong
CM - Ball carrier
ST - Kane

That would be a very good window.

Status
Not open for further replies.