Jeremie Frimpong

Status
Not open for further replies.

NotQuiteManc

Did I miss the news that Dalot has renewed his contract or not? I wonder if that situation is forcing United to go for another RB?

zaafi

Some of you who expect him to perform better than Dalot or AWB are going to be in for a big surprise. He isn't really a right back, but a wingback/right midfielder. He would contribute more offensively, but absolutely awful defensively. There aren't really a lot of available right backs that would do better than Dalot or AWB at the moment. Imo it's not worth prioritising unless Hakimi is available, but he was recently accused of rape so wouldn't go anywhere near him either.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I haven't seen much of Frimpong, but from what I've read about him, he has explosive pace and has high potential as far as contributing towards attacking sequences. Defensively there's a question mark against him, but he's only 22, and can only improve in that regard. Antony's contribution defensively would also help Frimpong off the ball imo.

We absolutely could do with a attacking RB with the technical ability to match. Hopefully that player is Frimpong, if we do end up signing him.

Vapor trail

Hearing he's primarily a wingback and that is what the club needs. The wide players at United are somewhat passive in periods so having an extra man to be cohesive with in wide areas opening spaces creates more opportunities. AWB has really come into form the last few weeks but his ability to create chances is still questionable. AWB does well to play within himself I think he makes a better reserve fullback than Dalot. If Frimpong is indeed a target than it must mean behind closed doors that Dalot is not looking to renew.

georgipep

I haven't seen much of Frimpong, but from what I've read about him, he has explosive pace and has high potential as far as contributing towards attacking sequences. Defensively there's a question mark against him, but he's only 22, and can only improve in that regard. Antony's contribution defensively would also help Frimpong off the ball imo.

We absolutely could do with a attacking RB with the technical ability to match. Hopefully that player is Frimpong, if we do end up signing him.
Frimpong is also much closer to the Hachimi/Mazraoui profile of overlapping fullback, which would help both Antony and Sancho.

Having said that, I do still feel that KWP is the primary target if Southampton go down.

OT_United

He seems a decent player and would be happy with him. But I don’t get it, AWB has completely turned it around and has been better than Dalot post WC. So why would we sell him? Maybe Frimpong is an option if Dalot doesn’t sign.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Frimpong is also much closer to the Hachimi/Mazraoui profile of overlapping fullback, which would help both Antony and Sancho.

Having said that, I do still feel that KWP is the primary target if Southampton go down.
I don't really know alot about either player, but what you're saying about Hakimi and Mazraoui is spot on imo. That's exactly what I feel we need.

And I agree, it should help both Sancho and Antony become even more dangerous when it comes to combinations and approach play.

georgipep

I don't really know alot about either player, but what you're saying about Hakimi and Mazraoui is spot on imo. That's exactly what I feel we need.

And I agree, it should help both Sancho and Antony become even more dangerous when it comes to combinations and approach play.
Here's an interesting analysis of different options for the RB position: Search for a RB: Summer 2022 Shortlist - thedevilsdna.com

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
In my opinion, he's the second biggest talent in our team after Wirtz and from all the young RBs I've seen the most promising. Like a light weighted Alphonso Davies. Extremely fast, very agile, great ball control, doesn't stop running, goes almost every game over the full 90 and he's got a great awareness for space.

I really don't want him to leave this summer but it seems more and more likely with United being the destination. You guys will love him if that happens.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Here's an interesting analysis of different options for the RB position: Search for a RB: Summer 2022 Shortlist - thedevilsdna.com
I hate articles like that. These people do absolutely no deeper analysis. They know absolutely nothing about (some of) these players, but they looked at a bunch of stats and drew up some fancy graphs and then they pretend to share some insights..

Also by his own score, Utd should sign Thomas Meunier, 11 percentage points better than Frimpong and available for a fraction of the price!

Last edited:

avgp_1

I can see why we are interested, the guy can manage the RW on his own much like Balde does at Barca. Get Shaw to tuck in and play sort of a back 3 when in possession/Malacia as a box midfield and let him loose on the right. Will need cover though at the back, he isn't the greatest defender.

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Thanks for sharing, the analysis is definitely interesting and a lot of work/effort seems to have gone into it.

According to the above analysis, KWP looks a very interesting option due to how balanced his play is. And Frimpong is a incredible dribbler but not someone whose game is yet refined enough to effectively invert as a midfielder due to his passing not being of the requisite technical level. Maybe he can improve in that regard or he will be used as a player to go on the 'outside' due to his searing pace, which would allow Antony to occupy the half space.

Kag

We don’t need a RB.
We do. We’ve needed one for years. Wan -Bissaka is doing well enough, but ultimately he isn’t a Ten Hag player and I expect he’ll be moved on soon enough. That doesn’t mean he’s bad; it just means we finally look like a club prepared to move on good players if they don’t quite cut it.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Thanks for sharing, the analysis is definitely interesting and a lot of work/effort seems to have gone into it.

According to the above analysis, KWP looks a very interesting option due to how balanced his play is. And Frimpong is a incredible dribbler but not someone whose game is yet refined enough to effectively invert as a midfielder due to his passing not being of the requisite technical level. Maybe he can improve in that regard or he will be used as a player to go on the 'outside' due to his searing pace, which would allow Antony to occupy the half space.
I think the criticism of his passing is blown out of proportion. He's no de Bruyne but it is proficient. His cut backs for example are excellent and so are his one twos. He's just not asked to play lots of through balls since he is usually on the receiving end and clutches the line.

Himannv

I think the criticism of his passing is blown out of proportion. He's no de Bruyne but it is proficient. His cut backs for example are excellent and so are his one twos. He's just not asked to play lots of through balls since he is usually on the receiving end and clutches the line.
What’s he like defensively?

sullydnl

Ross Kemp's caf ID
He seems a decent player and would be happy with him. But I don’t get it, AWB has completely turned it around and has been better than Dalot post WC. So why would we sell him? Maybe Frimpong is an option if Dalot doesn’t sign.
Because while AWB has certainly improved in form, he simply isn't the right profile of fullback for an ETH team. That's been clear before ETH even arrived.

As is ETH is playing a compromised version of the sort of football he'd like to play, working around the limitations of some of our players. But the goal is to move beyond that. Which means moving on bad players, but also moving on decent players who don't fit.

the hea

Both AWB and Dalot has made progress this season but at the same time it's very clear that neither is good enough to be starter. Keeping one of them as backup is fine but after the striker position has been sorted RB is up there with a new CM as the next priority.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Frimpong's passing stats are a good example why these articles are horse shit. He's Leverkusen's RW in possession, his job is to wait for the ball relatively high up the pitch and then try to run into the box. Progressive passes aren't what his team requires from his role. Maybe he could adapt to a different role, maybe he couldn't. But just looking at FBref won't tell you that.

zaafi

Because while AWB has certainly improved in form, he simply isn't the right profile of fullback for an ETH team. That's been clear before ETH even arrived.

As is ETH is playing a compromised version of the sort of football he'd like to play, working around the limitations of some of our players. But the goal is to move beyond that. Which means moving on bad players, but also moving on decent players who don't fit.
Neither is Frimpong who can't defend to save his life, so not sure why we're being linked with him. He doesn't even play right back.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
What’s he like defensively?
His tracking back is obviously ace simply because of his sheer pace. His positioning is decent and players rarely get past him because he's also very agile, has great acceleration and stays on his feet. Compared to many of the top full backs like James, Walker, Davies, Hakimi, etc. he lacks strength so you will rarely see him 'eat up' attackers or push them of the ball with a small check. It is a different type of defending but not necessarily worse. Same way Kante doesn't rely on physicality or size in DM compared to someone like, don't know, Casemiro or Goretzka. Instead closing down effectively and being very hard to shake off.

avgp_1

Frimpong's passing stats are a good example why these articles are horse shit. He's Leverkusen's RW in possession, his job is to wait for the ball relatively high up the pitch and then try to run into the box. Progressive passes aren't what his team requires from his role. Maybe he could adapt to a different role, maybe he couldn't. But just looking at FBref won't tell you that.
Yeah pretty much how I think we'll play him as a RW in possession if we do manage to sign him indeed. Our RW does need some improvement

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Neither is Frimpong who can't defend to save his life, so not sure why we're being linked with him. He doesn't even play right back.
With all due respect, that's bullshit. He can definitely defend.

georgipep

I hate articles like that. These people do absolutely no deeper analysis. They know absolutely nothing about (some of) these players, but they looked at a bunch of stats and drew up some fancy graphs and then they pretend to share some insights..

Also by his own score, Utd should sign Thomas Meunier, 11 percentage points better than Frimpong and available for a fraction of the price!
Only think you've done is shown that you didn't read the article...

Adnan

Talent Spotter
That's interesting and your opinion on the player will be more informed due to the club he plays for.

And he's still very young and will improve further. But from what I've read and seen via highlights, his searing pace in conjunction with his dribbling ability would definitely improve us both in transition and against teams who sit deeper.

Last edited:

georgipep

Frimpong could even play RW in certain scenarios. I like him a lot.

KWP is the safer option, and he would be the cheaper option too, if Southampton go down. He is also capable of playing on the left side, if needed, although I doubt that would matter much.

ForEverEleven

Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Frimpong being bad defensively has to be one of the biggest myths in world football a this point. Absolute nonsense.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
Only think you've done is shown that you didn't read the article...
I've read enough to see he created a weighted score that put Thomas Meunier, Rick Karsdorp and Kevin Mbabu in the top 10 of highest ranked RBs in the world - " we are starting to get good results. ". So you know .. I'd say rather than making some arbitrary age cut, buy Kevin Mbabu, he's loaned to Servette - how expensive could he be, his score is much better than some of the actual candidates the report produced and he's only 27 years old. Only just entering his prime years!

" His energy & physical excellence makes him an amazing tracker back, great presser & very tough to get past"

"His passing leaves a lot to be desired which is highlighted by his poor Progressive passes and Passes into final 3rd stats. He often prefers to dribble out of situations than pass and doesn’t have the vision and technique to execute great forward passes."

Guess who is the player whose passing must be shit, because he has few progressive passes.

georgipep

I've read enough to see he created a weighted score that put Thomas Meunier, Rick Karsdorp and Kevin Mbabu in the top 10 of highest ranked RBs in the world - " we are starting to get good results. ". So you know .. I'd say rather than making some arbitrary age cut, buy Kevin Mbabu, he's loaned to Servette - how expensive could he be, his score is much better than some of the actual candidates the report produced and he's only 27 years old. Only just entering his prime years!

" His energy & physical excellence makes him an amazing tracker back, great presser & very tough to get past"

How are you linking tracking back, pressing and tough to get past with tackles?

"His passing leaves a lot to be desired which is highlighted by his poor Progressive passes and Passes into final 3rd stats. He often prefers to dribble out of situations than pass and doesn’t have the vision and technique to execute great forward passes."

Guess who is the player whose passing must be shit, because he has few progressive passes.
The same way that AWB can make sideways and backwards passes, but doesn't progress the ball much, this is alluding to a similar case. What's the problem?

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
How are you linking tracking back, pressing and tough to get past with tackles?
Because I associate being amazing at tracking back with winning the ball back. And I'd like to know what stats this amazingness was based on.

The same way that AWB can make sideways and backwards passes, but doesn't progress the ball much, this is alluding to a similar case. What's the problem?
Hint: his kit number is #30. Count how many players look like they are available for progressive passes in that positional map.

zaafi

With all due respect, that's bullshit. He can definitely defend.
Every professional defender can defend, obviously. What I'm saying is that the Premier League is a lot more intense than Bundesliga and you need to be more quick-thinking in your mind and tougher in your duels than a player would have to be in Bundesliga. Frimpong, compared to Wan-Bissaka and Dalot, is very short and skinnier and is not even close to as athletic. When a defender quite often gets ripped to shreds in the Bundesliga, you can be sure it would happen a lot more frequently in Premier League. I've seen Frimpong have brilliant moments of defending - but that's exactly what they are - moments. You need to be consistent or we will be very vulnerable at the right side, similar to how Liverpool is with Trent playing.

georgipep

Because I associate being amazing at tracking back with winning the ball back. And I'd like to know what stats this amazingness was based on.
If tackling is how you associate with tracking back and winning the ball, then I guess you love AWB. There are far more efficient and proactive ways of defending and winning the ball back than tackling. Look them up.

Hint: his kit number is #30. Count how many players look like they are available for progressive passes in that positional map.
Frimpong plays RWB for Bayer, providing the width. Xabi Alonso has put him there either to serve a tactical purpose of because he knows his limitations and extracts maximum value of his skillset in that context. Regardless, every player can have progressive passes and the ones that do relatively more of them compared to players in similar positions, score in higher percentiles. Frimpong clearly doesn't and relies more on his dribbling.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Every professional defender can defend, obviously. What I'm saying is that the Premier League is a lot more intense than Bundesliga and you need to be more quick-thinking in your mind and tougher in your duels than a player would have to be in Bundesliga. Frimpong, compared to Wan-Bissaka and Dalot, is very short and skinnier and is not even close to as athletic. When a defender quite often gets ripped to shreds in the Bundesliga, you can be sure it would happen a lot more frequently in Premier League. I've seen Frimpong have brilliant moments of defending - but that's exactly what they are - moments. You need to be consistent or we will be very vulnerable at the right side, similar to how Liverpool is with Trent playing.
Jesus, that LP again

zaafi

Jesus, that LP again
Well, there's truth in it. Just because you find it cringeworthy doesn't make it any less true. If you can't see that because the team you support plays in Bundesliga, then I don't know what to tell you. There is a reason why a lot of successful players in Bundesliga fail to adapt to Premier League.

dinostar77

Some of you who expect him to perform better than Dalot or AWB are going to be in for a big surprise. He isn't really a right back, but a wingback/right midfielder. He would contribute more offensively, but absolutely awful defensively. There aren't really a lot of available right backs that would do better than Dalot or AWB at the moment. Imo it's not worth prioritising unless Hakimi is available, but he was recently accused of rape so wouldn't go anywhere near him either.
It depends on how ETH would use him. He may decide to use him as Xavi does with Balde at barcelona. Allow him to push forwards and go to a box midfield to cover.

Or ETH might use him as Arteta uses zinchenko, which is to have him tuck in midfield.

Theres different tactical ways to use your fullbacks. Seeing as Anthony needs an attacking fullback to overlap and provide width so he can cut inside and do damage, i can see frimprong being given more licence to go forwards.

do.ob

Supports
Borussia Dortmund
If tackling is how you associate with tracking back and winning the ball, then I guess you love AWB. There are far more efficient and proactive ways of defending and winning the ball back than tackling. Look them up.
So what is the statistical basis for calling him "amazing at tracking back"?

Frimpong plays RWB for Bayer, providing the width. Xabi Alonso has put him there either to serve a tactical purpose of because he knows his limitations and extracts maximum value of his skillset in that context. Regardless, every player can have progressive passes and the ones that do relatively more of them compared to players in similar positions, score in higher percentiles. Frimpong clearly doesn't and relies more on his dribbling.
Except the "analysis" mentions Frimpong as " establishing himself as a key starter at RB. ". He doesn't compare him to players in a similar role (he doesn't seem to be aware of Frimpong's tactical role), but compares him to regular RBs, who - on average - play in far, far deeper positions, where progressive passes come much more easily?

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Well, there's truth in it. Just because you find it cringeworthy doesn't make it any less true. If you can't see that because the team you support plays in Bundesliga, then I don't know what to tell you. There is a reason why a lot of successful players in Bundesliga fail to adapt to Premier League.
No, there's no truth in it. It is just perception and the average English football fan's complex driven exceptionalism. If you don't agree, that's on you, but to be honest, I'm weary of discussing a notion that's been proven wrong so many times that sticking to it can only be explained with plain ignorance.

Zehner

Football Statistics Dork
Supports
Bayer 04 Leverkusen

Xabi already played with such attacking full backs at Real Sociedad. So unless you want to suggest he did that in anticipation of Leverkusen signing Frimpong, Leverkusen firing Bosz, employing Seoane, firing Seoane, then signing himself as replacement, your claim is nonsense. Frimpong is a really gritty defender and the fact that he's so incredibly fast and has an engine like few others allows him to cover his side even despite playing very high.

Status
Not open for further replies.