Jeremy Corbyn - Not Not Labour Party(?), not a Communist (BBC)

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
I didn't really get the issue with that, I mean, it's clear that there is a media conspiracy?! You only need to read the front pages of every newspaper for the last couple of weeks to see that he is only reported in a bad light, whilst and successes don't get any airtime at all - for example, none of The Times, Guardian, Independent or BBC had prominent articles about the rally of supporters that gathered in London (most made no reference to it at all as far as I could see) - and that list includes the apparently more left leaning papers. No doubt The Mail, Sun, Telegraph had no mention of it either.
Jewish media conspiracy, it's a widespread anti-semitic trope. Whether the guy meant it that way I don't know, he seemed more intent on advocating deselection of MPs than anything else. Corbyn apologised to him later on though, so all was well.

skidmark

Account closed by request: 23/12/16
Supports
Utd, and NUFC
Jewish media conspiracy, it's a widespread anti-semitic trope. Whether the guy meant it that way I don't know, he seemed more intent on advocating deselection of MPs than anything else. Corbyn apologised to him later on though, so all was well.
I didn't see it happen, so probably shouldn't comment, but when I read it I thought it sounded more like someone trying to twist and cover up what seems to me to be a fairly accurate observation about how Corbyn is being treated by the British press, rather than about some conspiracy story. Seriously, hopefully not the latter.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
I didn't really get the issue with that, I mean, it's clear that there is a media conspiracy?! You only need to read the front pages of every newspaper for the last couple of weeks to see that he is only reported in a bad light, whilst and successes don't get any airtime at all - for example, none of The Times, Guardian, Independent or BBC had prominent articles about the rally of supporters that gathered in London (most made no reference to it at all as far as I could see) - and that list includes the apparently more left leaning papers. No doubt The Mail, Sun, Telegraph had no mention of it either.
:lol: How thick does someone have to be to turn up at an antisemitism event and talk about 'media conspiracies'. I have no sympathy for them whether they were being antisemitic or just plain stupid.

skidmark

Account closed by request: 23/12/16
Supports
Utd, and NUFC
:lol: How thick does someone have to be to turn up at an antisemitism event and talk about 'media conspiracies'. I have no sympathy for them whether they were being antisemitic or just plain stupid.
I wouldn't have known to be fair :nervous: but neither would I have turned up at that event, nor opened my mouth if I was there.

Ubik

Poll of Unite members has been done as well (details about half way through the article) - http://www.theguardian.com/politics...s-on-labour-mps-to-prevent-leadership-contest

Main figures - 49% say he should step down, and if there was another contest 44% would be against him, compared to 43% for him. 61% say he's doing a bad job, and 20% think he'll become PM. For comparison, he won 57% of the union vote in the first round last year.

So with that and the membership poll, I think there's been a definite shift against him amongst people that were previously supportive. Registered supporters also showed this in yesterday's YouGov, possibly reflecting that many of them signed up for full membership after he was elected. If the unions were to back the challenger candidate, those numbers could possibly increase. So it seems a bit of a coin flip at the moment, everything depends on which of the two camps can sign up the most members/supporters.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
I'm almost certain that when the time is right, Dan Jarvis will be able to connect with the public as Labour leader. He probably couldn't win a leadership election in the near future, and he does need a bit more parliamentary experience, but he ticks most of the boxes: good background, clear speaker, good storyteller, likeable.

Surround him with the right team to help flesh out ideology and policy, and I'm sure he could make a good go of it in a few years time.

Smores

Labour leadership: Shadow cabinet bid to ease Corbyn out

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36692256

So what happened to Angela Eagle. This seems like a desperate bluff .Hang in there Corbyn.
They've realised they won't win under her, I reckon she was encouraged and now she'll be left without backing. Heck even Angela Eagles own CLP voted against the challenge, she'll be lucky if they don't deselect her in the coming general election.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
They've realised they won't win under her, I reckon she was encouraged and now she'll be left without backing. Heck even Angela Eagles own CLP voted against the challenge, she'll be lucky if they don't deselect her in the coming general election.
I'd be shocked if eagle and another 150 sitting labour MP's are not part of a new party by then... The Clp can put up whatever corbynista they want at that point (suspect a few deposits will be lost though)

Smores

I'd be shocked if eagle and another 150 sitting labour MP's are not part of a new party by then... The Clp can put up whatever corbynista they want at that point (suspect a few deposits will be lost though)
The new era of politics where the politicians don't claim to represent anyone but just want their ideas to prevail.

Perhaps that's not so new actually

Ubik

And Richard Burgon is still Shadow Lord Chancellor.

Drifter

American
The PLP's so called coup as been a disaster .Take them out of their comfort zone and they're lost. Trying to buy him of with promises of keeping some of his policies will be brushed aside.

Walrus

Oppressed White Male
I want Corbyn to stay, if just to put a dent in the ridiculous powermongering and games that is current politics. Also the bloke tends to be straight talking and unlike most other politicians, which for me is very much a good thing.

Sweet Square

When in trouble call on the devil or if you've got a bit spare cash around given old Pete a call.

Sweet Square

Better keep that quiet.
She's somewhat finished, going against her

.Her local CLP voting to back Corbyn,

.Her website being set up a day before Benn's sacking(Proving the whole tears stuff to be some what a lot of shite)

.Voting record - Voting for Iraq and voting against investigation into it.

.Now Mandelson being involved

Still I agree with your earlier post that there's a chance it could be very close(Although at the same I think it could easily be the opposite and maybe even a bigger than the last leadership victory for Corbyn).

Also rally today in Liverpool

Pretty surprising to say the least.

Ubik

She's somewhat finished, going against her

.Her local CLP voting to back Corbyn,

.Her website being set up a day before Benn's sacking(Proving the whole tears stuff to be some what a lot of shite)

.Voting record - Voting for Iraq and voting against investigation into it.

.Now Mandelson being involved

Still I agree with your earlier post that there's a chance it could be very close(Although at the same I think it could easily be the opposite and maybe even a bigger than the last leadership victory for Corbyn).

The whole CLP vote is something to be wary of to be honest. From what I've read, someone in the Islington CLP was going to put forward a motion of confidence in Corbyn last week, but was advised to withdraw it as it wasn't clear he'd win it. Meanwhile, somewhat deliciously, James Schneider's (Momentum spokesman) CLP of Holborn and St Pancras voted against Corbyn last week, and they nominated him in the leadership contest.

Also not surprised at Liverpool at all, considering its history.

Whilst I'm not particularly confident of Eagle winning a race, an election campaign is going to be brutal for Corbyn. Last year will look whimsical in comparison. That one was just that repetition on the theme that ideas would prove unelectable, this time it's going to be a rollcall of figures calling him and his team incompetent and incapable of being PM. And if the unions turn against him - and if you read their statement released the other night, there's every chance they might - he's going to have a tough time.

Sweet Square

The whole CLP vote is something to be wary of to be honest. From what I've read, someone in the Islington CLP was going to put forward a motion of confidence in Corbyn last week, but was advised to withdraw it as it wasn't clear he'd win it. Meanwhile, somewhat deliciously, James Schneider's (Momentum spokesman) CLP of Holborn and St Pancras voted against Corbyn last week, and they nominated him in the leadership contest.

Also not surprised at Liverpool at all, considering its history.

Whilst I'm not particularly confident of Eagle winning a race, an election campaign is going to be brutal for Corbyn. Last year will look whimsical in comparison. That one was just that repetition on the theme that ideas would prove unelectable, this time it's going to be a rollcall of figures calling him and his team incompetent and incapable of being PM. And if the unions turn against him - and if you read their statement released the other night, there's every chance they might - he's going to have a tough time.
Ah thanks.

There where rally's in other places as well - Leeds,Cardiff, Manchester & Durham not sure if it means much just that it's surprising so many people cared, well surprising to me anyway.

Oh yeah the actually leadership race will be tougher than before(It has to be after the last one). And as you mentioned there's plenty more to rightly attack Corbyn and his team on, I would disagree with the rollcall of figures calling him out as having any effect, the last week and a bit has pretty much killed any trust in the Party.

But even with all the criticism that's going to face Corbyn(I agree with you about The Unions, it their biggest hope), the main problem for the PLP is well....... they are just shite. So as bad as it could get for Corbyn(And it could get very bad) I can't see anything other than him winning(Although I say this as someone who is mostly likely going to vote for Corbyn).

Plus with the chilcot enquiry to be soon out, a lot of people in Labour are going to feel the shock waves(If that makes sense)- Eagle being one of them.

Last edited:

Ubik

Ah thanks.

There where rally's in other places as well - Leeds,Cardiff, Manchester & Durham not sure if it means much just that it's surprising so many people cared, well surprising to me anyway.

Oh yeah the actually leadership race will be tougher than before(It has to be after the last one). And as you mentioned there's plenty more to rightly attack Corbyn and his team on, I would disagree with the rollcall of figures calling him out as having any effect, the last week and a bit has pretty much killed any trust in the Party.

But even with all the criticism that's going to face Corbyn(I agree with you about The Unions, it their biggest hope), the main problem for the PLP is well....... they are just shite. So as bad as it could get for Corbyn(And it could get very bad) I can't see anything other than him winning(Although I say this as someone who is mostly likely going to vote for Corbyn).

Plus with the chilcot enquiry to be soon out, a lot of people in Labour are going to feel the shock waves(If that makes sense)- Eagle being one of them.
There's definitely going to be a significant anti-establishment vote, and that'll also rally people to his cause, unquantifiable at this stage but enough to cause problems for the challenger, who by definition will be the establishment candidate. There's a hell of a lot riding on it all though, which ever way the result goes a large number of people are going to feel extremely alienated from the party with a strong chance of a split. That's why I think the reports of delegations trying to see Corbyn and talk him down are correct, and not just because they're scared about what their side losing would mean, but because even winning is going to have plenty of negative consequences. I even think that long term a split is necessary for the survival of a centre-left party of government, but short term that is always going to be painful, and the next couple of years are less than ideal for that.

On Iraq - you're probably right that it'll harm her, but let's be clear here, she wasn't even a minister when the vote occurred, she wasn't involved in government decision making at all. Voting against investigations will just have been following the whip. Chilcot will of course bring things to the fore, but many of the same people that voted for Corbyn likely had no trouble in voting for Tom Watson as deputy so I'm skeptical on their sincerity (though I suppose he had Brownie points for having knifed Blair).

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
On Saturday night, Corbyn allies accused the parliamentary party of sabotaging Labour’s ability to hold the government to account.

One Labour source said those at the top of the party were livid when it emerged that files on a shared Labour party hard drive relating to the finance bill going through parliament had been deleted as the shadow finance secretary Rob Marris resigned.

An internal email seen by this newspaper said: “Unfortunately, it looks like someone from Rob Marris’s office has deleted the vast majority of the finance bill records and notes on each clause from the shared drive.”

A Labour source raised the spectre of deselection, adding that it fitted in with a campaign of sabotage. He said: “The finance bill is a hugely important bit of legislation. Under normal times the party’s severest punishment to my knowledge for such transgression could go as high as deselection.

“This is because such a bill normally includes important measures involving things like tax avoidance and pensioners and working families.

“For example, in this case his actions could have led to undermining things such as our opposition to the tampon tax, which – if he had his way – would have prevented us from ending it sooner.”
It's come out that one of the MPs who resigned, Rob Marris, deleted a bunch of files relating to the finance bill. I don't think anyone can argue that they aren't sabotaging the party any more.

He claims it was his own personal material to help his job, not sure that you can claim that at any work place though.

Fully Fledged

That's why I think this whole debacle is undemocratic. The party voted for Corbyn overwhelmingly, the party will vote for him again. Yet 200 people think they have the right to circumvent the wishes of the party membership.

Mozza

It’s Carrick you know
The problem is a lack off a candidate both sides can back. Corbyns policies are good for the working man, the ones who voted out in the north, most the PLP will ignore that and try and build a winning party by pandering to the anti immigration sentiment and being slightly softer than the Tories on welfare to win middle England

Fully Fledged

Labour leadership: Corbyn offers to 'reach out' to opponents

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-36696712
he said the Labour constitution said its leader must have substantial support among the Parliamentary party - and if that doesn't exist, he or she must stand down or face a contest.
I agree with this part of what Kinnock said. He should be up for a contest which he is. If he loses to the Conservatives in the Labor party then fair enough. I don't think he would lose though.

Ubik

Chris Bryant, John Healey and Lord Falconer to name a few.
Ignoring the absurdity of calling John Healey right of centre, you now have only 170 left to name (Falconer didn't take part in the vote due to being a Lord).

To save you a little time, only 17% of Labour MPs went to fee paying schools. And 75% voted against Corbyn in the motion.

I suppose Prescott is a public school Tory as well for saying Corbyn needs 51 signatures to be on the ballot.

Fully Fledged

Ignoring the absurdity of calling John Healey right of centre, you now have only 170 left to name (Falconer didn't take part in the vote due to being a Lord).

To save you a little time, only 17% of Labour MPs went to fee paying schools. And 75% voted against Corbyn in the motion.

I suppose Prescott is a public school Tory as well for saying Corbyn needs 51 signatures to be on the ballot.
Yeah 17% and 20% went to Oxbridge. They lead the Blairite brigade in Labor who are pulling the Labor party apart.
They feel that their privilege means that they are more important than the party member who they are supposed to represent.
Politicians are supposed to represent their members tis vote is clearly against the will of the members.

Ubik

So, what percentage of the British population went to fee paying schools?

This is supposed to be the party of social equality, not privilege, remember.
About 7%. Percentage among all MPs is 32%.

If you're arguing there should be greater levels of social mobility, then you won't find any argument from me. My actual point was that the vast majority of those voting against Corbyn weren't educated in private schools.

Classical Mechanic

About 7%. Percentage among all MPs is 32%.

If you're arguing there should be greater levels of social mobility, then you won't find any argument from me. My actual point was that the vast majority of those voting against Corbyn weren't educated in private schools.
It isn't like Corbyn came from a working class hero background anyway.

Ubik

It isn't like Corbyn came from a working class hero background anyway.
Also correct. And his strategy and comms guy went to a private school (and is a "former" stalinist, for full disclosure). And the spokesman for Momentum is a trust-fund bellend who likes to play at being a revolutionary. Who also campaigned for the Greens last year. So yeah, fair to say I'm skeptical of the argument that it's public school Blairites vs the rest of us.