Jeremy Corbyn - Not Not Labour Party(?), not a Communist (BBC)

Chorley1974

Lady Ole
The Labour party is set to split, there is an unelectable leader supported by a large grass roots following, and a bunch of centre left MP's hungry for power, something has to give.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
The Labour party is set to split, there is an unelectable leader supported by a large grass roots following, and a bunch of centre left MP's hungry for power, something has to give.
I think this week will be the beginning of the end...
150+mps will want to address the future of Labour (leader), Brexit etc and Corbyn will be focused on Chilcot... Perhaps Cameron will try and push a Trident debate forwards just to further highlight what a shambolic mess labour are at the moment.

In fairness with a lot of companies pro eu and a number of conservative donors who were pro eu it's good timing to set up a non union funded centre left party

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
Also correct. And his strategy and comms guy went to a private school (and is a "former" stalinist, for full disclosure). And the spokesman for Momentum is a trust-fund bellend who likes to play at being a revolutionary. Who also campaigned for the Greens last year. So yeah, fair to say I'm skeptical of the argument that it's public school Blairites vs the rest of us.
And for those that bang on about oxbridge
It's worth noting that even that bellend burgon and dianne Abbot (who is a clusterfek when it comes to private schools) went to cambridge

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Technically I think you also have to be a war criminal, and a neoliberal. Maybe it's subliminal.

DFreshKing

I think this week will be the beginning of the end...
150+mps will want to address the future of Labour (leader), Brexit etc and Corbyn will be focused on Chilcot... Perhaps Cameron will try and push a Trident debate forwards just to further highlight what a shambolic mess labour are at the moment.

In fairness with a lot of companies pro eu and a number of conservative donors who were pro eu it's good timing to set up a non union funded centre left party
Great - All they need now is some voters to ignore.

MikeUpNorth

Wobbles like a massive pair of tits
If Corbyn had strength as a leader he probably could have avoided this whole crisis by sacking John McDonnell and replacing him with a more centrist MP as shadow chancellor.

Or better yet, not having appointed McDonnell in the first place. That was always a terrible idea.

Silva

If Corbyn had strength as a leader he probably could have avoided this whole crisis by sacking John McDonnell and replacing him with a more centrist MP as shadow chancellor.

Or better yet, not having appointed McDonnell in the first place. That was always a terrible idea.
That would just have meant the shadow chancellor also quitting.

Smores

What the hell is a strong Leader if Corbyn isn't one? I know it's fun to say because the PLP said it so it must be true but what do you even mean?

Someone who stands by their convictions rather than flip flopping? Corbyn

Someone who isn't easily shouted down or defeated? Corbyn

Someone who likes to pretend to cry at tough decisions? Ah yes the strong leader Angela Eagle

The other favourite is claiming we need someone who can unify the party, in other words we don't like the leader and we'll act like children until he's replaced (but it's not our fault).

Ubik

What the hell is a strong Leader if Corbyn isn't one? I know it's fun to say because the PLP said it so it must be true but what do you even mean?

Someone who stands by their convictions rather than flip flopping? Corbyn

Someone who isn't easily shouted down or defeated? Corbyn

Someone who likes to pretend to cry at tough decisions? Ah yes the strong leader Angela Eagle

The other favourite is claiming we need someone who can unify the party, in other words we don't like the leader and we'll act like children until he's replaced (but it's not our fault).
You've described two things that make Corbyn stubborn and/or consistent. They have nothing to do with leadership.

Kaos

You've described two things that make Corbyn stubborn and/or consistent. They have nothing to do with leadership.
Name a Labour alternative you'd consider a good leader.

And for heaven's sake man, don't say David Milliband.

Raees

Pythagoras in Boots
If Corbyn hadn't been so Euro-sceptic, I would be in support of him regardless of the wishes of the PLP who I don't have any faith in anyway but right now I don't care for either of them.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
I keep hearing this but I'm not seeing the parallels. The Labour Party isn't the military.
Dunno - there is a fairly open Civil War in the Labour party
I would say though that through my professional career I have met with and worked with some fairly senior ex military folks and the leadership and management training they get (getting the best out of people and making them work as a team) is fantastic and translates well into non military environments

Kaos

Dunno - there is a fairly open Civil War in the Labour party
I would say though that through my professional career I have met with and worked with some fairly senior ex military folks and the leadership and management training they get (getting the best out of people and making them work as a team) is fantastic and translates well into non military environments
That's all good and dandy but I doubt Labour's core supporters or activists are going to care that their leader has a few war medals. The only ones I see giving a damn are the Daily Mail and the Little Englanders.

Does he even want the job? Last I heard he had no intention running, unless that was a Michael Gove 'no intention of running'.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
That's all good and dandy but I doubt Labour's core supporters or activists are going to care that their leader has a few war medals. The only ones I see giving a damn are the Daily Mail and the Little Englanders.

Does he even want the job? Last I heard he had no intention running, unless that was a Michael Gove 'no intention of running'.
Guess it depends if you want to get into power and do stuff or sit on the sidelines acting superior

Dont know if he wants the job... if he has any sense him and 150 MP's will jump ship and set up a new party (possibly a coalition with the libs, SNP and greens) and become a functioning opposition

Smores

Well it's easy to throw around different descriptors. I'd consider an unshakeable conviction to their vision as quite important in leadership.

My point really was that 'strong' is a meaningless but carefully selected word they've chosen (along with nice)and others are parroting. The inference being that he's not just a bad leader but also weak, I don't think that's true at all.

It just shows they can't present the real reasoning behind their actions.

Waldner

Balloon headed Pokemon innovator & kitten murderer
Name a Labour alternative you'd consider a good leader.

And for heaven's sake man, don't say David Milliband.
To be fair, Chuka Umunna is fantastic. He could get the leadership without too much hassle IMO and be the best option - but he doesn't want it, which is a crying shame.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
Chuka Ummuna. The man who dislikes comparisons with Barrack Obama but changed his own Wikipedia page to compare himself to Barrack Obama. Conceited.

Kaos

To be fair, Chuka Umunna is fantastic. He could get the leadership without too much hassle IMO and be the best option - but he doesn't want it, which is a crying shame.
We accuse Corbyn of weak leadership, yet you're suggesting Chukka Umunna, the initial frontrunner who pulled out of the last labour election because the pressure got to him. Yeah no thanks.

Perhaps he can stick to editing his own Wikipedia article.

Waldner

Balloon headed Pokemon innovator & kitten murderer
Chuka Ummuna. The man who dislikes comparisons with Barrack Obama but changed his own Wikipedia page to compare himself to Barrack Obama. Conceited.
I mean, there's no actual evidence that it was him who edited it, is there? It was just from a firm he used to work for. He's said or done nothing wrong relating to that incident since.

We accuse Corbyn of weak leadership, yet you're suggesting Chukka Umunna, the initial frontrunner who pulled out of the last labour election because the pressure got to him. Yeah no thanks.

Perhaps he can stick to editing his own Wikipedia article.
Some people just aren't in politics for all the 'glory'. Look at the shit that gets thrown up on any major player in politics today, their whole lives are splattered over the tabloids - it's comparable to being a leading PL footballer at times. I completely understand why he wouldn't want to become a Labour leader to protect his private life - it doesn't mean that I'm wrong to think he'd still be an outstanding leader if he wanted to be one.

Ubik

Well it's easy to throw around different descriptors. I'd consider an unshakeable conviction to their vision as quite important in leadership.

My point really was that 'strong' is a meaningless but carefully selected word they've chosen (along with nice)and others are parroting. The inference being that he's not just a bad leader but also weak, I don't think that's true at all.

It just shows they can't present the real reasoning behind their actions.
If it's just the word "strong" that's at issue, perhaps we can just agree that he's a "bad" leader?

Because, unequivocally, he is that. I think the only person within Labour to have suffered a worse defeat on a confidence motion was Ramsay MacDonald.

Mciahel Goodman

Worst Werewolf Player of All Times
Staff
I mean, there's no actual evidence that it was him who edited it, is there? It was just from a firm he used to work for. He's said or done nothing wrong relating to that incident since.

Some people just aren't in politics for all the 'glory'. Look at the shit that gets thrown up on any major player in politics today, their whole lives are splattered over the tabloids - it's comparable to being a leading PL footballer at times. I completely understand why he wouldn't want to become a Labour leader to protect his private life - it doesn't mean that I'm wrong to think he'd still be an outstanding leader if he wanted to be one.
Come on. It was him. The Independent ran the best article about it.

Ubik

Fabian Hamilton the latest to resign as shadow Europe minister, less than a week after getting the job. His CLP rejected a motion supporting Corbyn recently (Leeds NE), and he was not one of the 172 who voted against Corbyn last week.

Silva

Chuka would make a decent Conservative leader tbf, public schoolboy, member of elite social clubs, associated with the word "jetrosexual", that's basically what Cameron's conservative party has been all about innit.

Ubik

Wonder if Kinnock would take the job again.

Smores

I think it speaks volumes that Kinnock now seems to be trying to relive the good old days when he fought the left.

"We want our party back" he proclaimed yesterday. I think that's a truer statement of their cause than concerns of electability (not that you can't have both).

"feck off members, this is our party" might be an even mkre accurate line.