g = window.googletag || {}; googletag.cmd = googletag.cmd || []; window.googletag = googletag; googletag.cmd.push(function() { var interstitialSlot = googletag.defineOutOfPageSlot('/17085479/redcafe_gam_interstitial', googletag.enums.OutOfPageFormat.INTERSTITIAL); if (interstitialSlot) { interstitialSlot.addService(googletag.pubads()); } });

Jeremy Corbyn - Not Not Labour Party(?), not a Communist (BBC)

Ekkie Thump

Supports
Leeds United
Honestly I read through Imperialism not all that long ago (maybe four years) and I don’t recall noticing the antisemitic elements to it at the time. Obviously reading the relevant excerpts today it seems I must have just missed them for whatever reason, but it does suggest to me that the antisemitic elements weren’t absolutely central to Hobson’s thesis.
He basically charges Jewish men as being "the gravest single factor in the economics of imperialism."

nickm

Er...I don't think you get the point the guy is making.

When Finkelstein talks about Churchill he's able to see both sides(Sort of) but when it comes to Corbyn praising a important historical book suddenly Finkelstein judgement goes out the window.
But Corbyn doesn't make the same acknowledgement at all. He could easy have said, probably accurately, that Hobson's book was great but his anti-Semitism was a problem. Which is pretty much what Finkelstein said about Churchill. Finklestein isn't blind to Churchill's racism but Corbyn is blind to Hobson's. That's the point.

Sweet Square

But Corbyn doesn't make the same acknowledgement at all. He could easy have said, probably accurately, that Hobson's book was great but his anti-Semitism was a problem. Which is pretty much what Finkelstein said about Churchill. Finklestein isn't blind to Churchill's racism but Corbyn is blind to Hobson's.
Again the twitter example I used is to show how Finkelstein can quite easily drop seeing both sides of the argument shtick when he wants to.

Finkelstein in his article of course mentions the anti Semitic parts and the anti semitic views of the author but he doesn't mentioned anything about the book being important or great but problematic. And then the rest of the article is the usual right wing shite (talks about Corbyn views on Nato, not going to Trump planned dinner, Corbyn being a threat to this country)

Also that Churchill article, Finkelstein never mentions Churchill views on Jews and think its a ''outlandish idea'' that Churchill was a mass murderer(he was). So Finkelstein can't even meet the same standards he sets for Corbyn.

That's the point.
If the ''outrage'' was because he failed to talk about the antisemitic elements in the book I think they would have had a point(Although again its a bizarre standard to hold people to)but they lost it over Corbyn simply doing what many others have done before.

Last edited:

nickm

Maybe. Separate columns separate purposes. You are trying to find gotcha moments of your own here.

Sweet Square

Maybe. Separate columns separate purposes. You are trying to find gotcha moments of your own here.
I've yet to find that article where Finkelstein talks about Churchill antisemitism.

All I'm doing is using Finkelstein and others standards that they are applying to Corbyn on themselves. Turns out they fail to meet these, mostly because it's a stupid standard to hold people to. Maybe just maybe someone who is paid by Rupert Murdoch doesn't care about consistency or being level headed.

nickm

I've yet to find that article where Finkelstein talks about Churchill antisemitism.

All I'm doing is using Finkelstein and others standards that they are applying to Corbyn on themselves. Turns out they fail to meet these, mostly because it's a stupid standard to hold people to. Maybe just maybe someone who is paid by Rupert Murdoch doesn't care about consistency or being level headed.
It’s not a stupid standard to want a noted anti racism campaignerTM to note the racism sitting at the centre of one of his fave books.

sun_tzu

The Art of Bore
So Corbyns son has posted a picture of a kid killed in palestine saying it was by an israeli air strike and that the world needs to know about this...

tragic though that is there is one slight flaw in what he posted and that is that they were killed by a rocket that was mis-fired by his fathers "friends" Hamas

despite being told by literally hundreds of people about this he still keeps up the post...

meh like father like son i suppose.

Last edited:

2cents

Historiographer, and obtainer of rare antiquities
Scout
So Corbyns son has posted a picture of a kid killed in palestine saying it was by an israeli air strike and that the world needs to know about this...

tragic though that is there is one slight flaw in what he posted and that is that they were killed by a rocket that was mis-fired by his fathers "friends" Hamas

despite being told by literally hundreds of people about this he still keeps up the post...

Not that it makes a huge difference, but it seems that the rocket was fired by Palestinian Islamic Jihad, not Hamas. I'm not aware that Corbyn has ever praised PIJ.

Dave89

So he wisely pulled the plug on negotiations. And if rumours are to be believed, he pushed for a public vote but the Tories said no.

nickm

He had to pull the plug, but the damage is well and truly done now.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
The demonisation has definitely worked, although not helped by himself at all. I still find it mad that anyone thinks anyone else is a better choice though, which is what it comes down to.

SquishyMcSquish

Supports
Tottenham

His son looks like Frodo. That is all.

nickm

The demonisation has definitely worked, although not helped by himself at all. I still find it mad that anyone thinks anyone else is a better choice though, which is what it comes down to.
You mean, you think it is mad that anyone else is a better choice than Jezza??

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
It is certainly a minority opinion from @VeevaVee as not only is corbyn polling worse than farrage... hes worse than may and has been for over a year (with the exception of 1 month)
That doesn't surprise me. A lot of people are ABJ now. Chavs hate him because of the anti-war stance. Tories hate him because he's not looking to help them even though they shouldn't need it. And now some of those in between are running riot with snippets of information.

In my opinion it comes down to:
Cuts and bleeding dry the only good thing the country has left, while those who don't need it become better off.
Racism/nationalism, which is dumb, especially seeing as their leader has rinsed the public.
Or a guy who hasn't helped himself with regards to his actions but with little substance or proof behind the main negatives, and has been weak when it comes to Brexit but still somehow better than the others.

I know which I prefer out of the lot and who I think will be best for the people.

Last edited:

Sweet Square

Rumours doing the rounds on twitter that after labour shit the bed in the eu elections there's going to be....................another leadership contest

Last edited:

nickm

That doesn't surprise me. A lot of people are ABJ now. Chavs hate him because of the anti-war stance. Tories hate him because he's not looking to help them even though they shouldn't need it. And now some of those in between are running riot with snippets of information.

Cuts and bleeding dry the only good thing the country has left, while those who don't need it become better off.
Racism/nationalism, which is dumb, especially seeing as their leader has rinsed the public.
Or a guy who hasn't helped himself with regards to his actions but with little substance or proof behind the main negatives, and has been weak when it comes to Brexit but still somehow better than the others.

I know which I prefer out of the lot and who I think will be best for the people.
Did you, as a Labour Party supporter and advocate for Corbyn, seriously just label a load of people chavs?

nickm

Doesn't really matter what these fine intentions are, if Corbyn is so bad people refuse to vote Labour while he is leader. What matters most is getting into power in the first place. Something Labour need to remember pretty quick.

EwanI Ted

Rumours doing the rounds on twitter that after labour shit the bed in the eu elections there's going to be....................another leadership contest
Very doubtful. Corbyn's position in the party is the weakest its been since he took over and its something he's managed through his own actions on Brexit. A leadership contest would be a get out clause for him. At this point if you want Corbyn out, its pretty obvious you let him carry on doing what he's doing.

Sweet Square

Very doubtful. Corbyn's position in the party is the weakest its been since he took over and its something he's managed through his own actions on Brexit. A leadership contest would be a get out clause for him. At this point if you want Corbyn out, its pretty obvious you let him carry on doing what he's doing.
?

Corbyn and the left have almost got complete control of the party.

I agree with a leadership contest will help Corbyn but the future of anyone who isn't on the labour left looks bad.

VeevaVee

The worst "V"
Scout
Did you, as a Labour Party supporter and advocate for Corbyn, seriously just label a load of people chavs?
Yeah? Are chavs not a thing now? Or we could pretend they're not to sound more PC, but I don't see the point in that.

Doesn't really matter what these fine intentions are, if Corbyn is so bad people refuse to vote Labour while he is leader. What matters most is getting into power in the first place. Something Labour need to remember pretty quick.
I know. And it is frustrating.

EwanI Ted

?

Corbyn and the left have almost got complete control of the party.

I agree with a leadership contest will help Corbyn but the future of anyone who isn't on the labour left looks bad.
The issue is that there's no successor to Corbyn. He uniquely straddles various constituents in the party - the north london/south manchester metro liberal vote, the younger optimistic momentum vote, the working class union vote and the "looney left" SWP-type vote. No-one else currently in Labour can speak to those audiences with authenticity, and when Corbyn stands down they're likely to back various different candidates and, the left being the left, will probably start falling out over it. For now Corbyn is unassailable simply because those different activist bases are (largely) behind him, but his successor certainly won't have that advantage.

Smores

There won't be a leadership contest before the Tories pick their own leader first. They need to know who they're running against.