Jeremy Corbyn - Not Not Labour Party(?), not a Communist (BBC)

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Will be interesting to see how long the Tories stick with the harsh rhetoric. I don't think it's very wise and I'm not actually sure they'll be able to help themselves, if it proves to be counter-productive.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
I don't agree with a lot of his policies but I like him. No fecks given.

Ubik

Nothing happens until something moves!
Will be interesting to see how long the Tories stick with the harsh rhetoric. I don't think it's very wise and I'm not actually sure they'll be able to help themselves, if it proves to be counter-productive.
We said it wasn't wise to give Ed such a hard time. A majority later... They're essentially trying to discredit him early and tar the rest of the party with the same brush by association, so it's not just Corbyn that the public associate with the "lax security" and "massive overspending", but whoever succeeds him too.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
We said it wasn't wise to give Ed such a hard time. A majority later... They're essentially trying to discredit him early and tar the rest of the party with the same brush by association, so it's not just Corbyn that the public associate with the "lax security" and "massive overspending", but whoever succeeds him too.
I think it was different with Ed. They just thought he was crap. I get the sense there's a genuinely passionate dislike of Corbyn's politics, to the degree they're liable to get over-excited and say things they're not meant to say in public.

Ubik

I think it was different with Ed. They just thought he was crap. I get the sense there's a genuinely passionate dislike of Corbyn's politics, to the degree they're liable to get over-excited and say things they're not meant to say in public.
Can probably say the same about Labour MPs at the moment if reports of the PLP meeting yesterday are much to go by!

Sun's effort today:

Going to be like this every day, isn't it?

stepic

Thing is anyone with half a brain will see that and think, stfu Sun. It should be competely and utterly irrelevent to anyone with any intelligence.

Unfortunately there are a lot of dickheads who will lap all this up and actually get offended. and these people vote, too, which is slightly tragic.

Ubik

On all the other ones too

stepic

No wonder Corbyn dislikes the main stream media. They're all idiots. But then again they feed what people want to hear so it says more about the great British public really.

Ubik

No wonder Corbyn dislikes the main stream media. They're all idiots. But then again they feed what people want to hear so it says more about the great British public really.
Like them or not you have to work with them. His team need to sharpen up their act a bit with the press, instead of the papers all leading today about the government putting through cuts to tax credits by the skin of their teeth despite uncomfortable Tory backbenchers, this asinine rubbish is what's leading and it's fairly easy to avoid. People complain about Blair's obsession with the press, spin and whatnot but they did it to have more control over what the papers would publish so that important issues wouldn't be trodden over for the sake of an annoying photo/comment. Even simple stuff like briefing your speeches to papers in advance - the Guardian blog today was openly puzzled about why it hadn't been done. Mentioning how nasty they are in speeches isn't going to win them over.

Jippy

Sleeps with tramps, bangs jacuzzis, dirty shoes
Staff
On all the other ones too

Was vaguely interesting on Newsnight when he was getting defended. What do people think- the guy can't help himself or he is sticking to his morals? Seriously though, he does not come across as a global statesman. He'd probably wear one of those middle class hijacked tea towels round his neck at a New York 9/11 ceremony.

He needs to get his message across- he'll need some outlets to support him. Still can't believe he is a completely serious candidate. Feels like the Truman show me Labour c2015

hobbers

Nice hippy but will never get elected in a million years. Might win back a few seats in Scotland though, but not enough to wrestle the majority from the SNP.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Nice hippy but will never get elected in a million years. Might win back a few seats in Scotland though, but not enough to wrestle the majority from the SNP.
This is the simple truth.

Shamwow

listens to shit music & watches Mrs Brown's Boys
Now he's literally stealing food from war veterans :(

Penna

Kind Moderator (with a bit of a mean streak)
Staff
It must be mind-bogglingly difficult for him at the moment. A lifetime of rebellion and sticking to his principles and now he simply has to conform, at least in some things - the suit and tie for instance is a small concession, but he's had to do it. Principles can be lofty but also hard to understand, and the general public will always sweat the small stuff because it's easy to do that.

I don't criticise him at all for not singing the national anthem because the words are all about the monarchy, not the country, and he is a committed republican. However, the tabloids will of course love the chance to say "he's disrespecting our war dead". Standing in silence isn't disrespectful.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Take a look at the content, forget the cover. People voting for personalities in politics really feck things up. You're voting for an entire party, not one person. I hope the UK doesn't slip into the realm of the US with any mediocre celebrity able to mount a serious campaign just because... well, "he seems alright, doesn't he?"
That's just the problem, his content isn't appealing, and the man representing that content is a arrogant prick who has the same real life work experience as every other career politician IE feck all.

Where is the upside of a Corbyn labour government for me?
A normal home earning, car driving, 33k a year earning working man like me?

Less than nothing, all I have seen so far is increased living costs, travel costs, higher taxes to support somebody else and very little else.
So, my opinion is, him and his supporters can get fecked.

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
I don't agree with a lot of his policies but I like him. No fecks given.
The more worrying thing is that even the people he chose to be in his shadow cabinet don't agree with his policies! Farcical.

Dans

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
The more worrying thing is that even the people he chose to be in his shadow cabinet don't agree with his policies! Farcical.
I don't think that is so odd. Not everyone within a party shares all the same views. He's the leader and has to represent what the party views are, not necessarily his own if they differ. He needs to do a better job of being Labour party leader than that of being Jeremy Corbyn. I see him picking people who have different views as quite strong though - it shows he won't just appoint people who toe his line, which I think is pretty fair enough. It's up to the party now to unite and show one front. Whether they are able to actually do that is another matter entirely. If they can't, then Corbyn won't be a very effective leader.

SirAF

Ageist
This guy divorced his wife because she wouldn't send their son to a crappy school, right? The state of the man..

NinjaFletch

I think attacking the PM and defence secretary for 'show boating and glad handing' is as ridiculous as attacking Corbyn for not signing.

I also think daring to attack Corbyn for having an opinion on the monarchy is perverse given that he was attending a memorial for the Battle of Britain.

If there's ever a time to celebrate our continued right to freedom of expression and thought then during celebrations and commemorations of the success in the 1940's of fighting off fascism is just about as appropriate a time as any.

decorativeed

The guy's been in the job for all of four and a half days and he's expected to have instantly adapted from perpetual back bencher to leader and public face of the party with no teething troubles? Obviously the red tops won't go easy on him, but you'd expect a degree of understanding from the rest.

Also, why would a lifelong republican even know the words to the national anthem when the majority of Britons are in the same boat anyway?

Dion

Again, people are so adamant he stands no chance despite being repeatedly wrong at every turn. Utterly bizarre.

Adebesi

I think attacking the PM and defence secretary for 'show boating and glad handing' is as ridiculous as attacking Corbyn for not signing.

I also think daring to attack Corbyn for having an opinion on the monarchy is perverse given that he was attending a memorial for the Battle of Britain.

If there's ever a time to celebrate our continued right to freedom of expression and thought then during celebrations and commemorations of the success in the 1940's of fighting off fascism is just about as appropriate a time as any.
True but its about redressing the balance isn't it. I don't always go in for the "two wrongs don't make a right" maxim. In this instance, you have pretty much the entire mainstream media lining up to write stories implying this, that and the other about Corbyn, so in my eyes its fair enough if social media seeks to point out that other mainstream politicians are doing comparable / worse things.

stepic

Where is the upside of a Corbyn labour government for me?
A normal home earning, car driving, 33k a year earning working man like me?

Less than nothing, all I have seen so far is increased living costs, travel costs, higher taxes to support somebody else and very little else.
So, my opinion is, him and his supporters can get fecked.
so, you don't give a shit about cuts to the most needy - the poor, the young, the disabled? or the widening gulf between rich and poor, and what effect this is going to have on society? the fact we're going to have a next generation that can't even afford to buy a house?

I guess this is why Corbyn probably has no chance. the middle class are too selfish, and want to protect what little they do have. whilst the 1% keeps on winning.

stepic

Was vaguely interesting on Newsnight when he was getting defended. What do people think- the guy can't help himself or he is sticking to his morals?
I think the guy who was defending him had it right - Corbyn's wave of popularity in winning this election has been based on the fact he isn't like other politicians - that he does have morals, that he isn't the typical careerist. if he just becomes part of the establishment to "fit in" he will have lost what got him there in the first place. I say stick to his guns, and let the media make twats of themselves. if the general public are too blind, then so be it - at least he'll have given it a go.

Marching

Somehow still supports Leeds
I don't think that is so odd. Not everyone within a party shares all the same views. He's the leader and has to represent what the party views are, not necessarily his own if they differ. He needs to do a better job of being Labour party leader than that of being Jeremy Corbyn. I see him picking people who have different views as quite strong though - it shows he won't just appoint people who toe his line, which I think is pretty fair enough. It's up to the party now to unite and show one front. Whether they are able to actually do that is another matter entirely. If they can't, then Corbyn won't be a very effective leader.
Just picking on one area of difference...the benefits cap...his views are so far removed from what his own shadow cabinet think I can't see how it will work. Sure, leaders have to adapt their views but from what I have seen and read about Corbyn he has such firm beliefs I find it hard to see the party can show the voters any kind of believable unity to encourage them to return this Labour party to office.

Kasper

Supports
Hansa Rostock / Bradford City
Offtopic but is there a good read/overview why and how the press in Britain has reached that shocking level of coverage we see right now? When I lived in England I was literally shocked by the ways the tabloids were reporting, I mean tabloids are generally shit but it is so much worse in Britain than in other (comparable) European countries that I'm starting to wonder what's the reason behind that. Has it always been like this or has it gotten worse over the years?

Dracula

caf plane air-master
The issue for me is not Corbyn. I agree with many things he believes. But my problem is with the labour party that elected him leader.

He is entirely unelectable. He will be dessimated by the media. The labour party have ensured that the Tories will be in power for another 10 years. That is unforgivable.

You may not like the polished media friendly shallow politician, but come 2020, it's them who get elected

NinjaFletch

Offtopic but is there a good read/overview why and how the press in Britain has reached that shocking level of coverage we see right now? When I lived in England I was literally shocked by the ways the tabloids were reporting, I mean tabloids are generally shit but it is so much worse in Britain than in other (comparable) European countries that I'm starting to wonder what's the reason behind that. Has it always been like this or has it gotten worse over the years?
I'm sure there's been a few books on Rupert Murdoch, yeah.

Kaos

The media don't realise that their pathetic smearing will only endear more people to him, regardless of their take on his views.

Mr Pigeon

Illiterate Flying Rat
Scout
I hope the media appreciate that their constant bashing of Corbyn is just going to get him more votes, as it'll create a siege mentality which his PR team can manipulate. The bashing worked when they went after Miliband because he was just too weak and quiet, whereas Corbyn will come out fighting because he is a militant allotment hippie who hates soldiers, or something...

Dracula

caf plane air-master
The media don't realise that their pathetic smearing will only endear more people to him, regardless of their take on his views.
Unfortunately, that simply isn't true that has never happened in uk politics.

People who agree with his views (of which there are not many) will already vote for him regardless. People he needs to win over (middle England to use an outdated term) do not like change.

Too many people in uk get their only politics news from the sun/mail/telegraph. They don't see a media agenda.