Jesse Lingard 'to leave on a free'

OleGunnar20

Always thought he was bang average at best, with a questionable mentality to boot ( of course we can never know for sure right, but he just seemed very, very immature).

He did try hard though, and scored the winner to grab us that last FA Cup what seems like a lifetime ago now. I think he's wasted his career hanging around here unfortunately and don't truly understand why successive managers wanted to keep him around.

But then I'm an idiot with a smartphone not a football manager, so there is that.

stevoc

Still baffles me why Ole clung onto him this summer instead of getting a transfer fee.
I'm not sure he did really. Plenty of reports that Jesse didn't fancy the move to West Ham and/or United were asking more than West Ham were willing to pay. If Jesse stays in January when it's obvious he won't play much then for me it points to leaving on a free being his plan all along. Which is fair enough that's his right if he want's to run his contract down.

Luke1995

I think the most likely player to leave in January is Mata. He's got to if he wants any real playing time.

Any of Lingard, Martial or VDB could leave if the club receives a good offer, but they should still at least feature in some of the cup games if they stay.

Leg-End

Just an absolute waste of another year of his career being here, all well and good taking the money to the summer and then getting himself a nice payday from some mid level side. But he will be 30 next year, he has what, just over 150 top flight appearances? Just a complete waste really.

talking robot

Why would he leave now when he can wait 6 months and then double his salary plus land at a significantly better club? Losing him on a free is punishment for the club's lack of foresight and mismanagement. Same story for Pogba.

T_Model101

If he gets a 4 year deal at Newcastle in the summer, then running his contract down will definitely have been worth it

gajender

If he gets a 4 year deal at Newcastle in the summer, then running his contract down will definitely have been worth it
If he wants to go to Newcastle on good wages January is his best option because they are in desperate situation but in summer If Newcastle are relegated he won't fancy it and if they survive chances are money being no object they might not fancy him .

He should have moved last summer after his stint with West Ham he would have gotten decent contract length with good wages but after another wasted year on bench I genuinely believe his options might not be that great in summer .

Last edited:

captaincantona

There is a lot of talk about our youth players; but is it backed up by facts since the class of 92 ?
Here is an article showing where the class of the 2010s are.
Where are they now? The 41 Man Utd academy players to debut in the 2010s - Planet Football
Is that a good return or not ? I don't have anything to compare it with. It does show how hard it is to make it in professional sport. If as a youth you are at Manchester United you must think that you are going to make it in the big time.

When Manchester United take on Everton on 15 December 2019, it will be the 4000th senior match in succession in which at least one youth graduate is represented in the Reds’ first-team or matchday squad. This extraordinary record stretches back over nine decades to before the Second World War.

How important is this you, and will it be important to RR or is he not going to let old statistics interfere with German efficiency ?
Utd have spent big money on youth in the last few years...Amad, Hannibal, Pellistri, Garnacho, Fernandez, that kid Traore cost a few quid if I remember correctly...Hugil, Jurado, MAHansen, Kambwalla, McNeil...

these are top talents recruited for upfront fees or lucrative contracts and you would have to consider the outlay and say it’s a fuking awful business model unless we start trying to create a better conveyor belt for the first team. Part one of that projectis getting rid of the players who have had years to prove themselves and failed- how long did we keep Rojo for????

get rid of Jesse and Mata for starters and give DVB a proper run out...if he can’t cut it...get shot of him while he still has some value...the get Shoretire and pals in and see what they are made of. Clearly above u23 level...let’s give em a go, decent minutes in a proper strength side and see where it takes us.

GazTheLegend

Sign of how standards have fallen at the club when players like him and Jones can have 10 year careers in the first team squad here having played feck all and when they have they've been mostly shite.

He was never good enough. He should have been given a chance for 2 seasons at most and shipped out.
Yes this. He had an entire calendar year where he didn't score a goal or register an assist while playing as a -starter- in the position Bruno plays. In a season I believe the opposition's number tens included Eden Hazard and Dr Bruyne. He simply isn't good enough, goes missing in 4/5 games he plays (latest case in point being against Young Boys where he was absolute garbage again), and should have been sold two summers ago and it's a joke Solskjaer kept him when he hadn't signed a new deal.

sp_107

I'm not sure he did really. Plenty of reports that Jesse didn't fancy the move to West Ham and/or United were asking more than West Ham were willing to pay. If Jesse stays in January when it's obvious he won't play much then for me it points to leaving on a free being his plan all along. Which is fair enough that's his right if he want's to run his contract down.
it is clear;ly visible. he would have picked westham if he was serious about his career. He would have forced his way even Ole wanted to keep him but some stories said Everton/Westham were in for him but he didnt pick them

If he wants money I am sure Newcastle can give him in Janaury (probabaly a clause with he can leave for free if they relegated and also with lots of joining bonus money)

Hope he leaves in Jan.

If Pogba and Lingard leaves on free what do you guys think about them

SAFMUTD

We should have sold him years ago, but like we always do we hold onto players when it's clear they're not good enough, and then for some unknown reason we give them a new contract with improved wages.

Mata, Lingard, Matic, Jones, Martial are all under the same situation. Hopefully we'll offload them all this summer.

MIC_FIN

Supports
United Away Games
We should have sold him years ago, but like we always do we hold onto players when it's clear they're not good enough, and then for some unknown reason we give them a new contract with improved wages.

Mata, Lingard, Matic, Jones, Martial are all under the same situation. Hopefully we'll offload them all this summer.
James was a quick turnaround so your statement if somewhat accurate, is flawed.

Wednesday at Stoke

Supports
Time Travel
I'm not sure why you guys are so eager to sell players on in the current climate when no more than a week ago, we had 7 fit senior players in training due to COVID. I'd be loathe to losing anyone at the moment unless a big enough offer comes in, where it becomes a no-brainer.

SAFMUTD

I'm not sure why you guys are so eager to sell players on in the current climate when no more than a week ago, we had 7 fit senior players in training due to COVID. I'd be loathe to losing anyone at the moment unless a big enough offer comes in, where it becomes a no-brainer.
Because we have a squad loaded of passengers, covid or not we need a full squad of competitive players. I for one would rather give minutes to youngsters instead of Mata for example.

stevoc

it is clear;ly visible. he would have picked westham if he was serious about his career. He would have forced his way even Ole wanted to keep him but some stories said Everton/Westham were in for him but he didnt pick them

If he wants money I am sure Newcastle can give him in Janaury (probabaly a clause with he can leave for free if they relegated and also with lots of joining bonus money)

Hope he leaves in Jan.

If Pogba and Lingard leaves on free what do you guys think about them
Not much to be honest. It's might be somewhat unfair but neither player seems to be 100% focused on making themselves the best player they could be.

Red Rash

We messed up massively with Lingard. Should have sold him in the summer when his stock was elevated due to his performances with West Ham.

Solskjaer obviously had no intention of using him so we really should have taken the 20-25 million we could have got and used it to buy a DM. Just one of the many ridiculous decisions which has really badly impacted us this season.

Reactions: oates

Adebisi's Hat

Supports
who do you feckin think ?
As a club Utd need to be much more ruthless with lads hanging around waiting for their free transfer. Banish them to the reserves or youth team and keep well away from the first team, unless they get a transfer in January, in certain situations sign a new contract or when their contract expires. This goes for all players be it Pogba , JLingz or whoever. I happened to catch Mark Goldberg on Youtube having a right rant about this today and have to admit I agree with him. Hopefully Ragnick can point this out to the powers that be.

alexthelion

We messed up massively with Lingard. Should have sold him in the summer when his stock was elevated due to his performances with West Ham.

Solskjaer obviously had no intention of using him so we really should have taken the 20-25 million we could have got and used it to buy a DM. Just one of the many ridiculous decisions which has really badly impacted us this season.
Who was willing to pay that?

harms

Shining Star of Paektu Mountain
Staff
Saying that, we should have just let him go to West Ham. Fergie never stood in the way of an opportunity for his players. (Same with Romero, a truly shameful decision to keep him a couple years ago).
He didn’t want to go there. That was kind of the thing, he overperformed during that loan and figured that he was too good for West Ham (and, to be honest, if he was going to keep his form from that half of a season, he probably would’ve been right) but no one serious was bidding for him

SeanyC

It’s disgusting the environment that Woodward, Arnold and Co have created at United at the Glazers orders. To allow players to sign long term contracts just so the valuation goes up then these players don’t get much first team opportunities so run down the contract to leave for nothing

Start with the most expensive, Pogba! We all know he’s going for nothing then Jessie when we could of got 20mil+ for him but will leave now in the summer also
Mata, Matic and not to mention Jones are all next.
I, like many others like Jessie but he should have left long ago…Ole lied to him as he has to VDB and he should have seen it coming. Pity really and I blame the board.

VivaRonaldo85

One of our multitude of issues in recent times is we are rudderless when negotiating contracts and subsequently selling players. Apart from the odd exception like a Dan James, we regularly fail to sell on players when their stock is high or higher and leave ourselves open to these valuable players leaving on a free. Lingard could be the next. Pogba and martial are coming down the road.

choccy77

For businessmen determined to make as much money as possible, it seems incredible how they conduct business making so many loses of their own creation.

This type of performance is exactly what money laundering entails.

Eyepopper

Lowering the tone since 2006
Jesus Jesse fecking Christ, the sooner he fecks off somewhere else the better.

Never before have I seen so much debate about a player who has contributed so little, the main reason being how long he's managed to bluff himself into remaining a player for a club with the profile of Utd.

His best return in a season was 8 league goals, 4 years ago, (he's managed double figures exactly once in the same season) on the back of which he decided to launch his "brand" and post about being amongst the 1% or some shit.

A nothing player, who, despite actually maybe having some ability, has been happy to trade having a career of note over maximising the earning potential of being associated with Man Utd.

Ride out that fat contract Jesse, because its all downhill after June. Can't say I blame you.

clarkydaz

For businessmen determined to make as much money as possible, it seems incredible how they conduct business making so many loses of their own creation.

This type of performance is exactly what money laundering entails.
Yes, remember it was the father who was the ruthless business man, not these. They just quietly take the money across the pond

Eyepopper

So, Jesse, in 7 years as a premier league player you've managed to amass a fortune to the tune of £10m whilst scoring a total of 29 goals, how do you feel about that?

Eyepopper

Eh, he didn't want to go.

You can't sell player who's under contract and refuses to leave.

Much the same as we can't sell him in January when he's quite happy to sit in the reserves picking up £75k a week.

BlueHaze

All I can say is if he was ambitious about his career he would have stayed at West Ham. He did well there and that was his level but in the end he decided to come back here knowing he will barely play but what he did know is that he'll be on wages he won't get anywhere else. That says all about him as a person. Complete disregard of his own development.

wolvored

Perhaps he thinks (or knows) he could end up at Barca end of the season o a free. Thats why he doesnt want to head to West Ham/Newcastle in January. Stranger things have happened.

cyril C

I recall MU was asking for something around 20m, WH was only willing to pay low teens. If any club last summer, and this Jan, wiling to offer 20m, I am sure Lingard would be sold. Should we sell Lingard to WH on the cheap this Jan - hell no. WH is our closest competitor for 4th.

kingwaynerooney

Supports
United
Tbh you could say the same about almost our entire starting 11. Who besides Bruno, Ronaldo, Varane or at a stretch - Sancho/DDG gets a sniff in their teams?
Bruno Fernandes isn't making those teams either. Ronaldo debatable. Varane yeah.

Eyepopper

Perhaps he thinks (or knows) he could end up at Barca end of the season o a free. Thats why he doesnt want to head to West Ham/Newcastle in January. Stranger things have happened.
Can you share whatever you're smoking?

NewGlory

United make me feel dirty. And not in a sexy way.
I think the most likely player to leave in January is Mata. He's got to if he wants any real playing time.

Any of Lingard, Martial or VDB could leave if the club receives a good offer, but they should still at least feature in some of the cup games if they stay.
Mata hasn't cared for playing time in 3 years or more. He ain't going anywhere until Summer

Daengophile

Maybe the Glazer vision, with their clear window on life, is to become a farm for young players.

Recruit youth, get a few years out of it, sell it on at a profit and bring in the next batch of feeders

Greck

This is the kind of thing that gets people fired. Ole was already fired but I'd still fire someone else just to be sure. We gave away free money keeping him. He shouldn't even have been assured gametime when he wasn't going to play.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
It's some leap of the imagination to go from the bench at United to Barcelonas first team.
They are looking for important players that will improve them.
But yeah stranger things have happened I do actually agree

Bestietom

He wont get much playing time here, so he will miss out on England call up. Pogba could be same.