Jesse Lingard 'to leave on a free'

lefty_jakobz

I ❤️ moses
Another misused asset.

Should have had him on the left and Sancho on the right from the start of the season, until Rashford was fit/back to form.

A bit of a shame to see him so abused by the fans on here, not his fault he was over looked even after playing so well for WH last season.

All the best to him wherever he goes, just want to see him playing regularly and with a smile on his face.

Jesse Lingard, he’s one of our own.

captaincantona

I had thought my post was fairly straight forward to understand given the post I replied to but apparently I was wrong :)

It's the excitement over him leaving, I'm seeing around the place, I was referring to. I replied to someone who said they can't wait til he's gone. That would suggest there is something to be excited about which I don't see. He goes and there's a space in the squad and a bit of a drop in the wage bill.
The excitement is linked to some decent moves by the club overall. Investing heavily in the academy and revamping our scouting, Calling out Pogba for his Dubai trips and not begging him to stay, letting Martial be Martial and not accepting his half arsed idea of what it takes to play at an elite level anymore, while the Cavani things is not ideal it does indicate that we won’t be looking for elder stop gap solutions anymore and following the RB mantra of buy young and actually developing players. Looking at the other comings and goings- the club are making the right noises.

Moving Jesse on falls into that type of category- it shows the club are casting off bit part players on big contracts restricting our youth players Opportunities to prove their worth. This will give more valuable minutes To Amad and Elanga and even Shoretire and possibly Hannibal. All about as talented as it gets at youth level and need to be given the same opportunity Jesse was 10 years ago. That is exciting. Not to mention more playing time for DVB who we still have no idea about really. It’s good business sense...get rid of dead wood quickly and give the next batch a shot.

Jesse is one of those players who you could tell was not Man Utd quality a long long time ago. Yet he has been kept, given decent wages and has essentially gotten more press for off field antics than his actual performances which is never good. (personal issues, acting the bollox and getting caught on video, starting a clothing line and releasing it the day of a big game for publicity, posting stupid videos etc.)

The same could have been said for the Mata situation...not bothered so much about the contracts but the minutes they might be getting is shocking when you consider the talent we have waiting in the wings. Judging by how Elanga is making moves in the first team and the experience Hannibal has gotten in the Arab Cup, We look like we might actually start improving what we have and bringing these guys through. That’s very exciting indeed.

Last edited:

Udmaster

He should go, we should stop getting emotionally attached to all these average players.
Can lingard make Real madrid, bayern ,or mancity first 11? You know the answer.
In the summer, him together with Jones, Mctominay,Lindelof, Pogba,Martial should be allowed to leave.

Leftback99

Might have a bedwetting fetish.
Don't blame him for targetting the pay day. It's the clubs fault for letting it get to this point.

Levi1

Agree with the general point: football fans seem to weirdly take the side of the million/billion pound club over the individual in contract situations — he’s signed a legally binding contract and he’s totally entitled to sit on his arse and see it out.

But that doesn’t mean people can’t be angry at a 29 year old who had a good season last year lower down the table refusing to leave when it’s very clear he’ll play few matches here.
When was the last time a significant player with resale value was sold with 6 months to go on his contract? Cannot be a common occurrence.

Kaos

He should go, we should stop getting emotionally attached to all these average players.
Can lingard make Real madrid, bayern ,or mancity first 11? You know the answer.
In the summer, him together with Jones, Mctominay,Lindelof, Pogba,Martial should be allowed to leave.
Tbh you could say the same about almost our entire starting 11. Who besides Bruno, Ronaldo, Varane or at a stretch - Sancho/DDG gets a sniff in their teams?

Levi1

how do you know Ole wouldn’t let him? It’s just guesswork

I understand why players do it but I don’t remember many doing it by sitting on the bench during their prime years for 2/3 years, do you?
I believe there were direct quotes from Ole about not wanting him to leave. Among them is the below from Ole from just after the end of the transfer window:

"He's got this season left of his contract and the club is talking to him and his dad, and we see him as a Man United player in the future as well.

Jesse has come back to us after a great spell at West Ham. He showed his qualities, he's got back into the England squad and he's scoring goals for England.

"We really want to see the best of Jesse this season and we hope to see him. We support him, and we hope to keep him here with us. He's a Red through and through."

Do you not remember the whole debate in the Summer over where he would play this season?

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
Lingard should be forced out for at least some kind of a fee or sent to the reserves.

If people want to get on Pogba's case for being 'greedy', I expect the same energy for an average player who's had 6 good months for us and gets a (mostly) free pass for being a youth player.
This is what we would do if we were a scumbag club.

AshRK

Don't blame him for targetting the pay day. It's the clubs fault for letting it get to this point.
Yes club is at fault but also shows why Lingard never kicked on his career. He is a decent talent and is 29 so he should push for a move and try to play rather than collecting wages. He should have been binned long back. But here he is thanks to the club's own incompetence collecting free wages and doing absolutely nothing.

Withnail

Well, he's always been a highly divisive player, so it seems pretty normal that some can't wait to get shot of him.

I personally haven't given a feck about him in a long while, as he hasn't really been near the team. I'll be happy enough when he leaves though, as it's another player moved on who has far out-stayed their welcome.
Yeah I suppose. I don't disagree on that end of things at all.

Maluco

Last Man Standing 3 champion 2019/20
Those saying a useful asset must have been watching West Ham a few months ago, because he has been horrendous in a United shirt for years.

He is definitely in the group of players that the club needs to get rid of. It’s about the culture too. Keeping players like Lingard just lowers the standards for everyone. He doesn’t have the ability to start for a club like United.

The only bad thing about this was that the club weren’t the ones to make the decision.

Withnail

Lingard should be forced out for at least some kind of a fee or sent to the reserves.

If people want to get on Pogba's case for being 'greedy', I expect the same energy for an average player who's had 6 good months for us and gets a (mostly) free pass for being a youth player.
You think we should treat a player who's practically been at the club his whole life like that? The club are the ones who offered him his current contract and were actively trying to get him to sign a new one under Ole.

Treating him like that would be pretty despicable especially given that it's unlikely any club will be interested in paying a fee for a player in Jan who'll be free in the Summer.

Loaning out a 28 year old, only to bring him back into the first team squad 6 months later, was a sackable decision. How many 28 year old players get loan moves, never mind temporary ones? :lol:

By far the worst thing we do as a club is stockpile these mediocre, hunger-free players on fat contracts. Their only use is putting barriers in front of talented kids.

Last edited:

Mike Smalling

Doesn't really matter if he leaves in January or in the Summer - as long as it's one or the other.

I trust Rangnick to make the right call.

Lee565

Another misused asset.

Should have had him on the left and Sancho on the right from the start of the season, until Rashford was fit/back to form.

A bit of a shame to see him so abused by the fans on here, not his fault he was over looked even after playing so well for WH last season.

All the best to him wherever he goes, just want to see him playing regularly and with a smile on his face.

Jesse Lingard, he’s one of our own.
Definitely agree, in fairness to lingard he has suffered the same fate as mata of being handicapped by playing on the right wing instead of his more stronger positions, his game was tailor made for coming in from the left and making the most of his shooting technique

MUFC OK

So if Jesse, Martial, Cavani, Pogba, VDB all want out - where does that leave our squad depth?

The ‘not convincing players to stay’ mantra is all well and good but if we lose all of those players we’re effectively back at square one and require a fresh rebuild.

Feels like we will always be 3 years away from challenging. In addition - how long is Ronaldo here for, will Bruno sign? Can Rashford rediscover his form? Is our midfield any better than mid table?

It’s quite worrying when you add it all up.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
You think we should treat a player who's practically been at the club his whole life like that? The club are the ones who offered him his current contract and were actively trying to get him to sign a new one under Ole.

Treating him like that would be pretty despicable especially given that it's unlikely any club will be interested in paying a fee for a player in Jan who'll be free in the Summer.
Yes, I think we shouldn't be sentimental when these players are taking us for a ride.

There's nothing despicable in having a hard stance on players taking the piss. Just look at how Sir Alex treated his best players when he thought it was time to move them on - both youth and non-youth.

Look at what Chelsea are doing with Christensen.

Ibi Dreams

One young guy and one 27 year old.
Is 27 old?

I'm older than both of them and I do equally silly shit with my friends, it's just having fun. We don't have to find it funny, and I don't, but it just doesn't mean anything

Tarrou

I believe there were direct quotes from Ole about not wanting him to leave. Among them is the below from Ole from just after the end of the transfer window:

"He's got this season left of his contract and the club is talking to him and his dad, and we see him as a Man United player in the future as well.

Jesse has come back to us after a great spell at West Ham. He showed his qualities, he's got back into the England squad and he's scoring goals for England.

"We really want to see the best of Jesse this season and we hope to see him. We support him, and we hope to keep him here with us. He's a Red through and through."

Do you not remember the whole debate in the Summer over where he would play this season?
this are just the standard quotes wheeled out when a player is staying.. it means nothing

I remember similar things about Sanchez

Withnail

Yes, I think we shouldn't be sentimental when these players are taking us for a ride.

Look at what Chelsea are doing with Christensen.
I've no idea about Christensen. Are the situations comparable in anyway?

It's not about sentimentality but I think you've lost all perspective on this one.
It's no way to treat people unless they've down tools and are being a disruptive presence.

He's not good enough and needs to be moved on but punishing him when the club have mismanaged his situation seems OTT.

van Nistelrooy

Also Ole had a big hand to play in this situation by telling Lingard he'll get minutes, despite giving him barely any.
Anyone with any knowledge of football could have foreseen him not getting much game time. If Lingard truly cared about his career and making the World Cup squad then he would have begged to go in the summer.

darko

If you were Newcastle, would you try to pick up Lingard up in January?

diarm

We seem to want to pick on some scapegoat to have a go at when we are not doing well, we need the same wit Smalling, Lukaku, Young, Andreas, Martial, Mcfred etc
I wonder who the scapegoat for next season would be?
What's really weird is how we never used to pick on scapegoats when we were winning titles.

It's almost as if having mediocre passengers with poor levels of professionalism in your squad doesn't lead to success.

Corridor of Uncertainty

One of a number of players within the squad where the importance of winning comes a distance second behind their individual brand.

hellhunter

Eurofighter
Supports
Karlsruher SC
What's really weird is how we never used to pick on scapegoats when we were winning titles.

It's almost as if having mediocre passengers with poor levels of professionalism in your squad doesn't lead to success.
Well that's certainly not true, Berbatov, Carrick, Fletcher, Park and many more spacegoats come to mind

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
So if Jesse, Martial, Cavani, Pogba, VDB all want out - where does that leave our squad depth?

The ‘not convincing players to stay’ mantra is all well and good but if we lose all of those players we’re effectively back at square one and require a fresh rebuild.

Feels like we will always be 3 years away from challenging. In addition - how long is Ronaldo here for, will Bruno sign? Can Rashford rediscover his form? Is our midfield any better than mid table?

It’s quite worrying when you add it all up.
In theory it is however the manager will hardly let 5 players leave with no incoming - unless there are staggering levels of incompetence that we havent seen from Ralf ....yet.

Abraxas

I think the reason it gets to this stage is we pay our squad fillers too well.

People want everything at the same time. They want to sign these guys up to contracts (and criticise if they leave on a free) but then somehow they expect to boot them out whenever they want and criticise us for hanging onto players?!

On paper everything is cut and dry but in reality when you've got a player like Lingard who is average to us, and a decent PL player but not coveted by big sides, it's not so easy commercially. His position in Man Utds squad dictates a certain level of wage and once he leaves the confines of a top 4-5 side he's suddenly a massive earner. These clubs don't want to offer what we think he's worth so then we either think he's more valuable around the squad or we sell him for a cut price (and again get criticism)

It's not so easy as the experts around here that must have been brokering football deals all their life make it sound.

You also have to compare like with like. If Chelsea sell a young player that's not really made it yet for decent money that's one thing. But if we're trying to sell late 20s players with fully realised potential at the top end of their earning curve, it's different.

diarm

Well that's certainly not true, Berbatov, Carrick, Fletcher, Park and many more spacegoats come to mind
I remember Carrick and Fletcher getting a bit of stick early in their United careers, but then our fanbase never seems to realise that deep midfielders always take time to bed into their role within a team.

Berbatov always seemed like a strange fit to the type of football we were playing at the time, and Park was always rated for what he was by anyone with a brain. I don't think any of those lads were disliked to the extent many of us dislike fellas in recent squads.

Withnail

I remember Carrick and Fletcher getting a bit of stick early in their United careers, but then our fanbase never seems to realise that deep midfielders always take time to bed into their role within a team.

Berbatov always seemed like a strange fit to the type of football we were playing at the time, and Park was always rated for what he was by anyone with a brain. I don't think any of those lads were disliked to the extent many of us dislike fellas in recent squads.
I wasn't on the caf at the time so can't be sure what it was like here but I remember Fletcher used to get a lot of abuse from United fans, Fergie's lovechild the only explanation for him being in the team etc.

Based Adnan

Baffling decision not to sell last year when his stock was high.

Of course now he'd rather run down his contract and get a fat sign on fee. Saying he'd rather "fight for his place" when he's barely played all season. :rolleyes:

Stig

There is a lot of talk about our youth players; but is it backed up by facts since the class of 92 ?
Here is an article showing where the class of the 2010s are.
Where are they now? The 41 Man Utd academy players to debut in the 2010s - Planet Football
Is that a good return or not ? I don't have anything to compare it with. It does show how hard it is to make it in professional sport. If as a youth you are at Manchester United you must think that you are going to make it in the big time.

When Manchester United take on Everton on 15 December 2019, it will be the 4000th senior match in succession in which at least one youth graduate is represented in the Reds’ first-team or matchday squad. This extraordinary record stretches back over nine decades to before the Second World War.

How important is this you, and will it be important to RR or is he not going to let old statistics interfere with German efficiency ?

HailtotheKing

Loaning out a 28 year old, only to bring him back into the first team squad 6 months later, was a sackable decision. How many 28 year old players get loan moves, never mind temporary ones? :lol:

By far the worst thing we do as a club is stockpile these mediocre, hunger-free players on fat contracts. Their only use is putting barriers in front of talented kids.
Totally agree. It's really incredible how average we let ourselves become, from top to bottom. If we could cut our losses on Jessie and Jones and some of the others this Jan, that would go some way to rectifying it. We need to get back to being elite again. With elite management and players.

HailtotheKing

Baffling decision not to sell last year when his stock was high.

Of course now he'd rather run down his contract and get a fat sign on fee. Saying he'd rather "fight for his place" when he's barely played all season. :rolleyes:
Yeah, it's bollocks. We should just shove him in the reserves and use Amad, Elanga, and Hannibal. I don't blame him for doing what he's doing. We let him do it, so we have no one to blame but ourselves. But let's not kid ourselves that it's football reasons. I'd have thought he'd want to move in Jan to get himself playing again and give himself a chance to go to the World Cup. But seemingly he has no ambition whatsoever and would prefer to sit on the sidelines counting his cash. Sad.