Jesse Lingard 'to leave on a free'

Kostov

If we hire an interim manager the club will inevitably renew contracts of some fringe players to preserve value just in case the next permanent manager would have wanted to keep those players.
No doubt about that :lol:

That's why we are an absolute joke. Players like Lingard, Jones, now the same is happening with Dalot, Matic, should have been sold 2 years ago, they still take wages and will continue to do so.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Agree with the comments about it being disrespectful. I can just imagine Lingard sitting there in the training room on his laptop, browsing his premium subscription to TweetDeck just waiting for somebody to post about him in a West Ham shirt.

And then BAM. Retweet. A big feck you to the club who nurtured him and brought him into this footballing world. A Dennis the Menace-esque wry smile emerging at the corner of his lips.

No punishment is too great for this sort of crime.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
So long, thanks for....... something, Im sure. Cant recall what though. He did find a quid on the floor of the bus when he shit his pants on the way to Upton park, so there is that.

Last edited:

Water Melon

Jesse is totally entitled to leave on a free and I'd welcome his departure. I am sure he could do well elsewhere, while United are able to replace him with a better player. Win win for everyone.

JJ12

Predicted Portugal, Italy to win Euro 2016, 2020
I can’t believe he’s 29 next month - he really does seem younger.

Ibi Dreams

So long, thanks for....... something, Im sure. Cant recall what though. He did find a quid on the floor of the bus when he shit his pants on the way to Upton park, so there is that.
He scored the winning goal in a cup final, surely a better example of something to thank him for

I like Jesse but I do feel he should move on, he could be a very useful player for lots of teams rather than sitting on our bench

Oranges038

Sign of how standards have fallen at the club when players like him and Jones can have 10 year careers in the first team squad here having played feck all and when they have they've been mostly shite.

He was never good enough. He should have been given a chance for 2 seasons at most and shipped out.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Lingard should be forced out for at least some kind of a fee or sent to the reserves.

If people want to get on Pogba's case for being 'greedy', I expect the same energy for an average player who's had 6 good months for us and gets a (mostly) free pass for being a youth player.

Lentwood

We really, really need to get our act together.

We have produced a ridiculous number of Premier League/Championship standard players and yet how have we profited from it?

If we want to compete with City, we absolutely need to start making the Academy pay. If we aren't going to give the likes of Henderson, Tuanzebe, Williams, Lingard etc...game-time, then the strategy should solely be about maximising their resale value.

If we could sell two decent Academy players each season, that's potentially one more top class first team player we can bring in

Pexbo

Winner of the 'I'm not reading that' medal.
Supports
Big Days

Basically wants that big signing on bonus next summer then.
When he’s moaning about game time from September to November and deciding he doesn’t want to leave in January and instead wants to stay and fight for his place, you know he’s taking the club for a ride.

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United
Really don't want to see this guy get minutes for the first team or reserves.

Spark

We really, really need to get our act together.

We have produced a ridiculous number of Premier League/Championship standard players and yet how have we profited from it?

If we want to compete with City, we absolutely need to start making the Academy pay. If we aren't going to give the likes of Henderson, Tuanzebe, Williams, Lingard etc...game-time, then the strategy should solely be about maximising their resale value.

If we could sell two decent Academy players each season, that's potentially one more top class first team player we can bring in
I mean we’ve fecked it on Lingard obviously, but United have never ever been a predominantly selling club (apart from the actual academy where we sell a fair few talented youngsters each year to good level clubs).

We make money elsewhere to not have to rely on selling players. The fact we’ve been utterly shit at spending makes it look a lot worse. However, even losing players on free transfers is never truly free because of the immense saving on wages, which are included in the amortised cost of players. I think Lingard is on a dumb wage, which is probably a big reason we couldn’t shift him as easily. Saying that, we should have just let him go to West Ham. Fergie never stood in the way of an opportunity for his players. (Same with Romero, a truly shameful decision to keep him a couple years ago).

Please please just let him go, and close another dark chapter in our recent history.

Shane88

Actually Nostradamus
Sign of how standards have fallen at the club when players like him and Jones can have 10 year careers in the first team squad here having played feck all and when they have they've been mostly shite.

He was never good enough. He should have been given a chance for 2 seasons at most and shipped out.
Jones is in a league of his own in that regard.

Lingard was instrumental in two of the three trophies we've won since Fergie left, scoring in two Cup finals.

What has Jones done for United? What are his highlights and significant moments of contribution? He'll be remembered for people feeling sorry for him and a quote about Pot Noodle.

Vidyoyo

The bad "V"
Yet again, I don't blame him. We can't let players run their contracts down and not expect them to be incentivised by shiny signing-on bonuses and high contract fees. It's stupider than Pogba because, in theory, we could have at least relied on him to give a year's worth of effort for the title push we were hopeful of at the start of the season. We didn't need Lingard then, we don't need him now, we didn't sell when his stock was high, and now here we are.

Ramsey's situation at Arsenal, and the ludicrous contract he got at Juventus, should have been the warning sign.

crossy1686

career ending
Weird one Jesse.

He had a couple of good seasons and some good performances for england. Decided to start a clothing line of the back of all the media attention, which was a terrible decision financially and career wise, and those who advised him need a serious word.

Had some personal issues which also seemed to happen around the same time United no longer being a top 6 side and being a top 4 side. From that point on he hasn’t been able to regain any kind of form except from when he went to West Ham and had less expectation to win games and was able to float around as a false 9.

I think ultimately the likes of Lingard and Martial are good enough for top 6 sides but the step up to CL/top 4 is just too much for them to mentally handle.

L1nk

After that last match? Is that the kind of fight he's going to bring to trying to get into the first team? Good luck then. Bang average player that should have been sold years ago, sick of the sight of him taking up space in the squad, go away already.

stevoc

When he’s moaning about game time from September to November and deciding he doesn’t want to leave in January and instead wants to stay and fight for his place, you know he’s taking the club for a ride.
Absolutely, it was the same story last summer. Moaned about lack of opportunities under Ole while at West Ham but then decided he wasn't leaving.

Tarrou

you'd think clubs will start factoring in the chances of players leaving on a free in transfer fees

it seems to be so common these days, unless it's one of the top top clubs

I don't get players like Jesse doing it though, he's basically wasted his prime years sitting on the bench to get a last big pay cheque

GMoore23

Also, shows how little pride players have these days. Too many prepared to just hang around, collect their paycheck and post utter bollox on social media.
Butt and Phil Neville were better players than Lingard, were still valued by Sir Alex but wanted to be playing every game so left to be first team players.

IRELANDUNITED

With him, Cavani and Martial all almost certainly leaving either in January or next summer, do we need to sign another forward, if so, who?

Rajma

Fight for place = I can earn more money as a free agent.
Basically. Hopefully Ralf kicks out this nonsensical value protection strategy that allows talentless and unmotivated players to stay on our payroll without any use as they leave on free in any case due to their inflated wages.

Drifter

American
Never got the hate for him on here , but then again it is the cafe. Wish him all the best and still think he could have been a useful player for us.

JB7

Butt and Phil Neville were better players than Lingard, were still valued by Sir Alex but wanted to be playing every game so left to be first team players.
In fairness both spent the majority of their 20s at the club and left at around 29, exactly the same as Lingard will. Obviously they both played an awful lot more games for us than Jess has though.

Levi1

you'd think clubs will start factoring in the chances of players leaving on a free in transfer fees

I don't get players like Jesse doing it though, he's basically wasted his prime years sitting on the bench to get a last big pay cheque
Disagree with most of the comments on here. He wanted to leave last year but Ole wouldn't let him. He was lied to l, but now there's a new coach who might give him a shot, why should he leave now??

And by the way, whats wrong with maximizing your earning value during a short career? He was misled for the first 3.5 years of his current contract, now he has just 0.5 years left and its a win-win for him so why shouldn't he stay?

Levi1

Really dislike all of the hate of him on here. So what if he has some personality and social media presence?

Just because he didnt turn out be world class, people feel like he should pay back his salary or what? We pay people a flat salary so we the club take all the risk of how good a player turns out to be. But the other side of that is that if we have a very good player on a multi tear contract, we dont always have to reup him too soon. I dont see anyone on here complaining that we don't pay Bruno enough?

tomaldinho1

Honestly it will feel so good when him and Pogba leave. Tired of newspapers running the same stories about players who have not been great for us and just generate negative headlines. Lingard had one decent season under Mou and scored a few bangers. Good luck to him but he’s not a loss.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Just give his spot in the side to Amad/Hannibal. It’s not like Lingard has played much already and we’ll need him for the rest of the season either.

Nickelodeon

I do. He's a bang average player who would've probably had a half decent career in the bottom half of the premier league or somewhere in the Championship. Because of the shambolic decision making we've had at the club over the past decade, Lingard, along with many other players, have been given contracts which are neither deserved but also exorbitant, which makes it impossible for these players to be prized away from us. Lingard has never shown a full seasons worth of decent performances. He's happy to be in the squad, get a few appearances here and there and earn his 100k a week.

The kicker came in when those few appearances evaporated and he was in a danger of not being recognized as a footballer any longer. Hence, he had no option but to leave on loan. With some good timing and a decent degree of luck, his West Ham spell was successful enough for the PL clubs to realize that he still exists. Having said that, still no self-respecting club was willing to pay 20+ million AND a 100k a week salary. Our man Jesse could've realized that he can take a small pay cut and play week in week out to prove his footballing credentials. Or, he could sit on his arse for a year, and then see which desperate PL club would be open to investing the 20-30 odd million on him. The only difference is that this time, the club gets nothing and he'll get a huge signing bonus and a last large contract which again has nothing to do with talent or performance but with the huge PR generated from his decade long association with Manchester United and randomly scattered pieces of highlights.

Even though I genuinely dislike Lingard and everything he represents as a United player, if I were a player of limited talent like himself, I probably would've done the same. This whole saga is a damning indictment of the failure of the clubs contract policy. I understand the need to tie players down to protect or enhance value. But there needs to be a tactical approach for each contract. We can identify our star players and give them contracts which make them happy here and keep them out of reach for other clubs. And then there are certain players who we must realize may not be regular first teamers at our club. For them, they should be a decent enough wage so another club (probably lower) can target them by matching or probably increasing their wages. Our rivals have sold the likes of Jordon Ibe, Joe Willock, Alex Iwobi, Dominic Solanke, Rhian Brewster, Marc Guehi, Fikayo Tomori etc for big money which can fund major transfer business. While we hand out massive contracts to the likes of Henderson and Martial who at this point are neither contributing to the first team nor can they be sold for big money because of the ridiculous wages being afforded to them.

For all the clean out that Ole did, he also played a role in all these massive contracts being handed to players who did not deserve this. And even though I think Pogba can contribute to the squad, I would rather he go free than have another overpaid player sitting on his arse and acting all pricy. We need someone like Rangnick to realize this and clean this out and it could get messy before it gets better.