Jesse Lingard will have an excellent season | Discuss in his player performance thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sterling Archer

That’s funny because I think it’s the exact opposite. I think he has a good attitude. His childishness outside the pitch doesn’t change that. But he’s a bang average footballer without essential technical skills, no eye for a killer ball and a pretty weak shot.
He has been awful the last two seasons in particular. His, shall we call it breakout season, under LVG, is the one I keep thinking about. He's regressed from there.

Definite agree about the killer ball - but that's one of those added specialties we associate with Ozil types. Jesse's never been that kind of player. As for his shooting, it's one of the coaches that's talked about how he's one of the best, purest strikers of the ball we have.

Edit: @NWRed haha yeah, that's the player I remember breaking onto the scene. He really could have grown into an important player from us from there. To me, not reaching potential is a mental thing

MUFC OK

Most fans have said the same for years: squad player but not good enough to be starting.

He's effective against the big teams as theres more space and he can be involved in counter attacks. Against smaller sides at home theres no point playing him as we need creativity at CAM to break down banks of four. Simple concepts but we've repeated these mistakes for years.

Kush

Hyperbolic and will post where they like!!
He's found a way in the England squad for Euro Qualifiers in September :lol:

NWRed

If he could play like that even once a month it would be brilliant.
He's capable of it, he just needs his confidence back. Maybe if the fans got off his back a bit he'd regain some of that freedom and flair.

I think he needs a break from the first team. Maybe some U23 games or the EFL trophy matches to just play without pressure for a few matches.

Stadjer

I find it ironic that he spends hours practicing new goal celebrations for the 2 goals he scores a season.
Wish he would spend those many hours on practicing how to scoring goals. Hitting the ball with his foot instead of his knee would already be a good thing to practice.

NWRed

I find it ironic that he spends hours practicing new goal celebrations for the 2 goals he scores a season.
I didn't know fans had access to the players training timetables. Is this a special MUTV subscription or something?

Redcy

He's capable of it, he just needs his confidence back. Maybe if the fans got off his back a bit he'd regain some of that freedom and flair.

I think he needs a break from the first team. Maybe some U23 games or the EFL trophy matches to just play without pressure for a few matches.
I see what you did there. He might have his breakout season as a young player this year

Kostov

Maybe if he started playing like a professional footballer every once in a while, fans would get off his back don't you think? He's been absolute shit for the 90% of his career here.

If hypothetically he was demoted in the u23 and most probably outperformed by Gomes and Chong what then? Will some of you and Ole open their eyes and realize how actually useless he is?

fergiesarmy1

But managers like Southgate pick him constantly, what do you actually know about football pal? :lol:

Absolute state of some on here.
Well he isn’t being picked on form as everyone knows so not that surprising some people are surprised.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
:lol:

Come on, he's meant to be a senior player and one who should be shouldering most of the responsibility but he is so so poor. He has moments that are brilliant but my word, he has no consistency at all. He looks lost on the pitch most of the time.

PhilMcD79

It really saddens me how low United have sunk that Lingard is seemingly an undroppable starter. How the standards have slipped and because he's so immature people think he's still a young player and give him the benefit of the doubt.

NWRed

Maybe if he started playing like a professional footballer every once in a while, fans would get off his back don't you think? He's been absolute shit for the 90% of his career here.

If hypothetically he was demoted in the u23 and most probably outperformed by Gomes and Chong what then? Will some of you and Ole open their eyes and realize how actually useless he is?
He works hard every game, which is why his managers value him highly. Questioning his professionalism is just absurd. He hasn't been shit for 90% of his career here, he was poor last season and has had a poor start this season.

Come on, he's meant to be a senior player and one who should be shouldering most of the responsibility but he is so so poor. He has moments that are brilliant but my word, he has no consistency at all. He looks lost on the pitch most of the time.
Being a senior player doesn't mean you can't be out of form.

Yes he's had a poor start to the season and wasn't great last year, but if united had dumped every player who'd had a poor year we'd have let alot of world class players go during the past 30 years (I'm not saying Lingard is world class btw)

Needham

He works hard every game, which is why his managers value him highly. Questioning his professionalism is just absurd. He hasn't been shit for 90% of his career here, he was poor last season and has had a poor start this season.

Yes he's had a poor start to the season and wasn't great last year, but if united had dumped every player who'd had a poor year we'd have let alot of world class players go during the past 30 years (I'm not saying Lingard is world class btw)
Where have you been for the last 30 years (well, the 24 before the last 6)? No one got another year on top of a "poor year". Actual bona fide world class players like Sebastian Veron got moved on if it didn't work out at Utd. The quality of the club's working materials has sunk through the floor in the past few years and that's the only reason sporadic performing obviously average talents are getting a repeated look in.

NWRed

Where have you been for the last 30 years (well, the 24 before the last 6)? No one got another year on top of a "poor year". Actual bona fide world class players like Sebastian Veron got moved on if it didn't work out at Utd. The quality of the club's working materials has sunk through the floor in the past few years and that's the only reason sporadic performing obviously average talents are getting a repeated look in.
There are loads of examples of players who either took time to settle or who've had big dips in form only to recover and become key players. Giggs for one, Rio made numerous errors in his first few seasons with us, Vidic and Evra looked out of their depth for the first 6 months here, Andy Cole was underwhelming from 95-98, Rooney blew hot and cold for his whole career here really (although never out of form for this long admittedly). Ronaldo was incredibly frustrating for the first 3 seasons but was persevered with.

Veron is a very unique case so not really a good example. He was purchased with a clear plan of how SAF wanted to play, particularly in europe but the system didn't suit the players around him and Veron completely failed to adapt to the PL. After 2 seasons of the plan not working and he was let go because of a decent offer from Chelsea. Hardly applicable to Lingard.

Vault Dweller

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020

The thing is he has been really poor for longer than 18 months. For an attacking player he offers nowhere near enough quality so for me it is no longer a run of poor form, he actually is just not very good.

Needham

There are loads of examples of players who either took time to settle or who've had big dips in form only to recover and become key players. Giggs for one, Rio made numerous errors in his first few seasons with us, Vidic and Evra looked out of their depth for the first 6 months here, Andy Cole was underwhelming from 95-98, Rooney blew hot and cold for his whole career here really (although never out of form for this long admittedly). Ronaldo was incredibly frustrating for the first 3 seasons but was persevered with.

Veron is a very unique case so not really a good example. He was purchased with a clear plan of how SAF wanted to play, particularly in europe but the system didn't suit the players around him and Veron completely failed to adapt to the PL. After 2 seasons of the plan not working and he was let go because of a decent offer from Chelsea. Hardly applicable to Lingard.
Hardly applicable to Lingard. But Giggs, Rio, Vidic, Evra, Andy Cole, Rooney and Ronaldo are? Lingard is 27. We have to face facts. In the long run he will not grace the pantheon like a single one of those names.

Kostov

Running around contributing feck all does not mean works hard. I wasn't questioning his professionalism, but rather indicating that he looks like a sunday league player most of the time. He's been absolute shit for ages. Last season bar one good month he was shit. And the previous one, he was absolute appalling once again after that purple spell in November/December. The ones with better memory on here will remember how shit he was. He scored something like 1 goal after 1st January, and stats mask how actually useless he was apart from those 2 months that season.

Shimo

Big club bias. I've been saying it for about 2 years, he's the new Tom Cleverley. The second we get rid of him he'll never get called up again.
That's not really true with Southgate. He was a starter for him in the world cup. If it was purely big club bias, he would have been on the bench at best but, Southgate sees in having him in the XI that many of us don't agree with. Seems like Ole and him think the same in some ways, seeing that Smalling is now also not preferred by Ole.

billybee99

Actually, he has been shit for 90% of his career here. The other 10% are his December purple patches that he seems to have every year followed by months and months and months of futility.

Idxomer

He's deadwood disguised as a squad player disguised as a regular starter.

RoadTrip

petitioned for a just cause
I think some of the comments are probably a bit unfair.

He can certainly play a role here, but not the role we are asking of him currently. What Jesse is, is a player who can play in counter-attacking system in games where we expect there to be space. What he isn’t, is a player who has the technical skill or creativity to unlock defences which are well drilled and designed to absorb pressure.

The reality is a huge part of his problem is that he’s being asked to play that latter role which, frankly anyone who follows football, can see is a role he will consistently fail at.

Having said that, given the frequency of coming up against teams who will close space at the back, his use in our team shouldn’t be anywhere near starter level. Not because he’s shit in totality, but because he is shit in the role we need him to play in those games.

bondsname

The way to use Lingard is have him in the final third, looking for spaces to shoot. Either if it's inside the 6-yard box or if it's outside the Goalkeepers zone. He is also good if he has acres of space infront of him.

If we use him as a number 10 we might as well play with 10 men. His passing and vision isn't near good enough to play deep,he should just swing his foot and hope to score a goal. Easier said and done, he's a very limited player, but that's all he can offer us.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
That wasn't my intention at all. Overage players frequently play in the U23s for match sharpness etc.
So you want him to play some matches without pressure... Wasn't a pre-season the whole point of this ?

How much time he needs to finally look not out of shape ?

NWRed

So you want him to play some matches without pressure... Wasn't a pre-season the whole point of this ?

Match sharpness and fitness are not same thing. I just think he needs some time away from the pressures of the first team to rediscover his confidence.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Match sharpness and fitness are not same thing. I just think he needs some time away from the pressures of the first team to rediscover his confidence.
I hope you realize this season is an important push to get out from Europa League zone and failure means further problems for this club ?

If the guy needs to find his form, soul, Jesus or whatever it's better be quick, because he's 26 years old professional player who despite free pass everyone giving him must starting contributing something.

Something means performing against midtable teams would be a great start, I don't require from him scoring a winner against City... but Arsenal I think he could still get a goal or assist.

Last edited:

Kostov

Actually him being demoted to the reserve team would be pure gold. He will be outperformed by Gomes and Chong and exposed for the fraud he is.

NWRed

I hope you realize this season is an important push to get out from Europa League zone and failure means further problems for this club ?

If the guy needs to find his form, soul, Jesus or whatever it's better be quick, because he's 26 years old professional player who despite free pass everyone giving him must starting contributing something.

Something means performing against midtable teams would be a great start, I don't require from him scoring a winner against City... but Arsenal I think he could still get a goal or assist.
I agree he has to earn his starting place, and in an offensive sense he hasn't done that so far this season, what I'm suggesting is if he was given a month or two just playing for the reserves he might be more likely to rediscover his form as he won't be pilloried for every misplaced pass.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Actually him being demoted to the reserve team would be pure gold. He will be outperformed by Gomes and Chong and exposed for the fraud he is.
I don't wish him ill, his Insta and private life are his thing, but I just want him to produce... something other than a music track in the future.

Status
Not open for further replies.