Jesse Lingard will have an excellent season | Discuss in his player performance thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
I agree he has to earn his starting place, and in an offensive sense he hasn't done that so far this season, what I'm suggesting is if he was given a month or two just playing for the reserves he might be more likely to rediscover his form as he won't be pilloried for every misplaced pass.
Or maybe, here's a thing no one ever even considered... he could start playing required level of football throughout the regular season.

Wow, what an effin concept that is. A professional player who's actually doing his job.

fps

If he could play like that even once a month it would be brilliant.
Being a first-teamer, which is above his station, has taken a lot of the joy from his game. As a squad player with a great engine who could come on to try and change a match, he had a lot less to lose.

fps

Or maybe, here's a thing no one ever even considered... he could start playing required level of football throughout the regular season.

Wow, what an effin concept that is. A professional player who's actually doing his job.
He is doing his job, as well as he can. It's not his fault he isn't a better player, he clearly does everything asked of him, very fit, very good attitude to his work.

edgar allan

But managers like Southgate pick him constantly, what do you actually know about football pal? :lol:

Absolute state of some on here.
Plenty of poor players have got games for England over the years, that doesn't prove anything.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
He is doing his job, as well as he can. It's not his fault he isn't a better player, he clearly does everything asked of him, very fit, very good attitude to his work.
Yup. Can't wait for another dumpster fire in the matchday thread.

edgar allan

All true, he always trys his best. but sadly he plays for us and not notts county.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
Hahaha. You see when I joined this forum, it's been all dumpster fire so far!
:lol:

Sometimes I wonder if Ole should have free pass on playing Lingard in current form. Perhaps this could also prevent the further fires on the Caf.

NWRed

He is doing his job by trying his best, it just isn't working for him at the minute. You make it sound like he's deliberately playing poorly, choosing to misplace a pass or miskick a shot at goal, obviously that isn't the case.

Van Piorsing

Lost his light sabre
He is doing his job by trying his best, it just isn't working for him at the minute. You make it sound like he's deliberately playing poorly, choosing to misplace a pass or miskick a shot at goal, obviously that isn't the case.
Sure but it's also not like the club didn't offer him quality training facilities to eliminate his detriments. He had solid portion of minutes on pre-season, so I don't think he has basis for complaining. It's funny how after World Cup he even has problems with controlling the ball.

If that's really his best then I think we all know what the consensus is here... and I remember him playing way better than that and that's what bugs me.

edgar allan

what are the odds he will start again this weekend?
Made a deal with my mates a year ago that we would all go out on the piss each time Lingard scores or creates a goal......we have been sober for a full year now. I might never get a drink again!

Kostov

I don't wish him ill, his Insta and private life are his thing, but I just want him to produce... something other than a music track in the future.
Feck his insta and private life. If he a good servant on the pitch nobody would give a toss. The kids would expose what a fraud of a footballer he really is, worse player than Andros Townsend.

Alabaster Codify7

None of our players are deliberately poor, it's just that many of them are well below what we require and have been for quite some time. I don't think Lingard doesnt care or doesnt play for the shirt, quite the opposite. He's just a very average footballer and very average players don't rack up goals and assists unfortunately.

cruseofried

Current performances of Lingard should dictate a place on the bench and an impact sub. In his early days, this was what he was best at.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
Gillespie was 10 times the player beans is
Not my point. My point being SAF shipped out players of various talent levels when he deemed them not up to par. I'd equate Lingard to Chadwick, my opinion as I could be wrong.

That said, with Gillespie I don't find it was SAF wanted rid but that he was made part of a transfer to get (at that time) possibly the most in-form lethal striker in England. But SAF did make that decision to transfer a top young talent out. No doubt he'd shipped Lingard off by now, perhaps after that goal in the FA Cup Final when his value was possibly at its highest.

MrMarcello

In a well-ordered universe...
He's capable of it, he just needs his confidence back. Maybe if the fans got off his back a bit he'd regain some of that freedom and flair.

I think he needs a break from the first team. Maybe some U23 games or the EFL trophy matches to just play without pressure for a few matches.
I get your sentiment and opinion but if how fans are booing/talking about a player affects how he/she performs, he/she clearly hasn't the mental makeup to play for a top club.

Sterling Archer

Made a deal with my mates a year ago that we would all go out on the piss each time Lingard scores or creates a goal......we have been sober for a full year now. I might never get a drink again!
:lol: amazing...

JLingz Alcohol Addiction Recovery Program
The revolutionary sobriety program that works by getting heavy drinkers to play a drinking game. They never see it coming.

Marcus

I think he has been badly off form. But can still have a good season.

Ekeke

If hes doing everything he can possibly do, then how do you explain him playing better 2 seasons ago? He showed he can do it, the problem is its once in a blue moon

fps

If hes doing everything he can possibly do, then how do you explain him playing better 2 seasons ago? He showed he can do it, the problem is its once in a blue moon
Other teams didn't know much about him, so it was easier for him to use his strengths. Players' form fluctuates for a variety of reasons but with his mobile, hard-running style perhaps his peak genuinely was at about 25. Pressure of playing regularly has taken the joy out of his game and he hasn't been able to respond to that. Different players around him or a slightly tweaked role.

Enough reasons? If he does something for 6 months, and the rest of the time does something else, the 6 months is the exception, not the rule.

Ekeke

Other teams didn't know much about him, so it was easier for him to use his strengths. Players' form fluctuates for a variety of reasons but with his mobile, hard-running style perhaps his peak genuinely was at about 25. Pressure of playing regularly has taken the joy out of his game and he hasn't been able to respond to that. Different players around him or a slightly tweaked role.

Enough reasons? If he does something for 6 months, and the rest of the time does something else, the 6 months is the exception, not the rule.
Correct it is. But if he does it at all for 6 months it shows he has the ability to do it. If he then fails to do it again its not a talent issue, its a consistency issue

fps

Correct it is. But if he does it at all for 6 months it shows he has the ability to do it. If he then fails to do it again its not a talent issue, its a consistency issue
But even his "doing it" wasn't that good - 13 goals in 48 games, and 8 in 33 (1 in 4) in the PL. It's just not there. He has 10 CAREER assists in the PL. His very best is OK.

Ekeke

But even his "doing it" wasn't that good - 13 goals in 48 games, and 8 in 33 (1 in 4) in the PL. It's just not there. He has 10 CAREER assists in the PL. His very best is OK.
Yes. He was just about good enough for a period of time. Since then he's been not good enough

Superunknown

Lingard is going to be 27 in December. It really has to be an outstanding season for him, in my opinion, otherwise he should not be in the starting 11 going forward. If we had a starting 11 that included Ronaldo, Van Nistelrooy, Scholes, Beckham and Giggs, then maybe we could afford to have him in there, as the goals and assists would still come from somewhere. With the thin squad that we have (particularly in the attacking portion), we can't have passengers. Potential has to be realised somewhere along the line.

Having competition within a squad isn't a bad thing. Ideally, we would have several players threatening to take Lingard's position.

NinjaZombie

Punched the air when Liverpool beat City
Not my point. My point being SAF shipped out players of various talent levels when he deemed them not up to par. I'd equate Lingard to Chadwick, my opinion as I could be wrong.

That said, with Gillespie I don't find it was SAF wanted rid but that he was made part of a transfer to get (at that time) possibly the most in-form lethal striker in England. But SAF did make that decision to transfer a top young talent out. No doubt he'd shipped Lingard off by now, perhaps after that goal in the FA Cup Final when his value was possibly at its highest.
Unfortunately, we have fallen far from the standards held by Fergie. Priorities have changed, and certain values from that era has been lost. That much is plain to see.

Terminator

Why is it so hard to see reality? Lingard's bang average and should be nowhere near a top 6 team starting line-up.

mattsville

His performances have been crap so far, does not look focused at all, he went through a good phase where he was busy, focused and scoring great goals, now losing control of the ball, not scoring and lazily fouling opponents, can see what Ole is doing with signings in and out, can't see him lasting in the team the way he is playing, Fred to come in and Gomes an option.

Status
Not open for further replies.