Jesse Lingard will have an excellent season | Discuss in his player performance thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Redcy

Ole also has to be careful as poor as Lingard has been we don’t need him to lose all confidence? We have few enough options as is, out of form and confidence means we have one less player.

edgar allan

Ole also has to be careful as poor as Lingard has been we don’t need him to lose all confidence? We have few enough options as is, out of form and confidence means we have one less player.
He has been poor for a couple of seasons now, another passenger on the team.

Greck

He was great in preseason so that tells you all you need to know about preseason. Anyway it's not his fault he was appointed to a role he didn't have the talents for. Seems to be the common theme at our club these days

clarkydaz

He was great in preseason so that tells you all you need to know about preseason. Anyway it's not his fault he was appointed to a role he didn't have the talents for. Seems to be the common theme at our club these days
He wasn't great, he has a good game against Milan last game. On tour he was being shown up by the young lads

JoaquinJoaquin

Except he wasn't great at all. Had one good half. Jeez some of you lots expectations are so low now.

Last edited:

Mike Smalling

The logic that an underperforming player should not be dropped, because it might hurt his feelings and his confidence is utterly crazy. If he has any sort of competiveness and mental fortitude, him getting dropped would hopefully lead to him training harder, try to improve the weak sides of his game and work his way back into the team. And if that isn't how he responds, he probably shouldn't be here.

Greck

Expect he wasn't great at all. Had one good half. Jeez some of you lots expectations are so low now.
I'm just going off of what some said. I only really saw the Milan game. If he wasn't great in preseason I wonder what the thread creator based this thread on. And even more what Ole is basing his decision to feature him heavily on

Mick1

So what we had been seeing up to now was Lingard in good form? Holy smokes

RG 11

He would struggle to make the bench under SAF. I don't know what managers see in him apart from being a headless chicken.

nyanza

And Jesse Lingard has played a total of one PL game in 12/13, 13/14 and 14/15. Lingard has 111 PL appearances in the period of that famous "stat", Johnson - 122.
Don't get me wrong, Lingard's numbers are pathetic but we can always pull out a "Jesse Lingard has scored more league goals (17) than Jadon Sancho (15) in the last four years despite being shit in all four of them" and ignore everything else.

GifLord

Better at GIFs than posts
Also take into account that during that time Johnson played for a very poor Sunderland side(they finished twice 17th, 14th and 16th and scored a total of 161goals )
Now Lingard started to play regularly for United from 2015-16 (United scored 239 goals - current season included)

He really won the lottery with that stupid contract

::sonny::

Also take into account that during that time Johnson played for a very poor Sunderland side(they finished twice 17th, 14th and 16th and scored a total of 161goals )
Now Lingard started to play regularly for United from 2015-16 (United scored 239 goals - current season included)

This is the problem, considering mediocre average players great players (Lingard, Shaw, Smalling etc) brought United down

AlwaysRed66

But... young and learning, good lad, academy product and english. Should buy them more
I know. People will still be talking about Lingard being young & learning when he announces his retirement in his mid 30's.

Siorac

Even more importantly, Adam Johnson simply wasn't very good. Certainly not someone I'd want at Manchester United.

Siorac

To put the 2019 stats into perspective, there are 285 players who have either scored at least 1 goal or had at least 1 assist in the PL. Lingard isn't one of them. :(
He isn't part of the 98%? :(

lex talionis

Crazy stats re Lindard's lack of production.

Ole clearly sees something in Lingard that tells him that Jesse is close to turning the corner from being just an important cog in our pressing to being a potential creator of chances once we do regain possession of the ball. I don't see it, but now that the media is hounding Ole on this point it will be interesting to see whether Ole sticks to what he believes or whether he concedes that it just isn't working, at least for now, and drops Lingard for Mata in the upcoming fixture, which is perfectly set up for Mata to excel in.

Against vastly weaker opposition I'd like to see Mata be the first choice. Once we build the 2-3 goal lead and the opponent feels compelled to open up, then bring in Lingard to exploit the open spaces that will be created. Mata works well in compact spaces but poorly in open spaces, whereas Lingard works well in open spaces but poorly in compact spaces. Once Ole capitalizes on the strengths of these two players we'll deliver results against clubs like Wolves and Palace. And every other club in this league apart from City and Liverpool, who are too far beyond our reach this season to worry much about how to set up against them.

romufc

Against vastly weaker opposition I'd like to see Mata be the first choice.
I think Mata would work when we play anyone below top 6 at home because he has the creative pass and makes runs in behind the striker.

Away from home, I would still want to see a 10 that can press. Lingard is our next option because really we have no one else. Ole tried Perreira in pre season but I dont think he has the confidence in him.

This is why I am surprised Bruno didnt sign, he would have been first choice.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
I've broken down the stats a bit more based on player position. If you include the following positions: ML, MC, MR, AMC and FW (i.e. none of the defensive players) you end up with 211 players who have played 270mins or more in the PL in 2019.

Of those 211 players, only 44 haven't scored or assisted. Lingard being one of them, that means he's in the 20.9% of midfielders/attackers who haven't scored or assisted. The list is below:

1232mins | Roberto Pereyra
1162mins | Solly March
1081mins | Matteo Guendouzi
1029mins | Miguel Almirón
931mins | Oumar Niasse
920mins | Elias Kachunga
906mins | Yves Bissouma
886mins | Ryan Bertrand
880mins | Juninho Bacuna
844mins | Jonathan Hogg
840mins | Jesse Lingard
828mins | Jürgen Locadia
777mins | Joe Ralls
720mins | Calum Chambers
701mins | Fernandinho
665mins | Hamza Choudhury
618mins | Jean Michael Seri
585mins | Andrew Surman
581mins | Nemanja Matic
577mins | Alireza Jahanbakhsh
528mins | Ki Sung-yueng
524mins | Marc Albrighton
521mins | André-Frank Zambo Anguissa
496mins | Joe Bryan
474mins | Ander Herrera
471mins | Leandro Bacuna
468mins | Aron Gunnarsson
440mins | Harry Arter
394mins | Philip Billing
392mins | Mohamed Diamé
384mins | Tom Davies
382mins | Jason Puncheon
342mins | Matt Ritchie
333mins | Nampalys Mendy
323mins | Morgan Gibbs-White
318mins | Adama Diakhaby
292mins | Kieran Trippier
277mins | Martín Montoya
270mins | Rúben Vinagre
270mins | Abdoulaye Doucouré
270mins | Declan Rice
270mins | Joe Bennett
270mins | Enda Stevens
270mins | Oliver Norwood

Worth noting that some of these players, Tripper for example has more minutes in the PL but thats because he played at RB. The mins total above in that list is when he played as a right midfielder.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
With the above in mind. The more you increase the minutes the worse it gets for Lingard.

Minutes: 270 or more
Number: 211
With 0 Goals and Assists: 44
Percentage: 20.9%

Minutes: 450 or more
Number: 169
With 0 Goals and Assists: 27
Percentage: 16.0%

Minutes: 630 or more
Number: 142
With 0 Goals and Assists: 16
Percentage: 11.3%

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
We have to get after someone on this forum don't we.

Lukaku, Sanchez, Smalling, Matic, Mata, Jones, Young. All of those are out of the first team, we're still not that good, so it's Lingard's turn.

If we take him out, who will the next whipping boy be?

RedCurry

Lukaku, Sanchez, Smalling, Matic, Mata, Jones, Young. All of those are out of the first team, we're still not that good, so it's Lingard's turn.

Another one of the crap players from the first team, is my guess.

Lee565

I dont know how he gets in ahead of mata, Chong, Gomez or Pereira, hell I would even rather see fred or young play as an attacking midfielder over lingard, I guarantee any of these players would have more assists and goals to their name than what lingard has mustered this year.

edgar allan

They are out of the team but we haven't replaced them yet.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
I dont know how he gets in ahead of mata, Chong, Gomez or Pereira, hell I would even rather see fred or young play as an attacking midfielder over lingard, I guarantee any of these players would have more assists and goals to their name than what lingard has mustered this year.
Because none of those are better than Lingard i'd say is the reason.

Sterling Archer

Jesse's got everything in his locker to be a fantastic player. The problem is he's a fecking child. For everyone that gets ants in their pants when we shake our heads at JLingz and all that nonsense, I don't think you realize how the two go hand in hand. It's why so many promising players become nothings, they don't have the mental fortitude and discipline for it. Jesse's a prime example. If he were instead punched in the face by Roy Keane and Cantona, he'd have turned out a better player.

Ducklegs

Part of first caf team to complete Destiny raid
Jesse's got everything in his locker to be a fantastic player. The problem is he's a fecking child. For everyone that gets ants in their pants when we shake our heads at JLingz and all that nonsense, I don't think you realize how the two go hand in hand. It's why so many promising players become nothings, they don't have the mental fortitude and discipline for it. Jesse's a prime example. If he were instead punched in the face by Roy Keane and Cantona, he'd have turned out a better player.
Apart from a brain.

And pace.

And skill on the ball.

And a physical presence.

Other than that he has EVERYTHING required to be a top player.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
I've broken down the stats a bit more based on player position. If you include the following positions: ML, MC, MR, AMC and FW (i.e. none of the defensive players) you end up with 211 players who have played 270mins or more in the PL in 2019.

Of those 211 players, only 44 haven't scored or assisted. Lingard being one of them, that means he's in the 20.9% of midfielders/attackers who haven't scored or assisted. The list is below:

1232mins | Roberto Pereyra
1162mins | Solly March
1081mins | Matteo Guendouzi
1029mins | Miguel Almirón
931mins | Oumar Niasse
920mins | Elias Kachunga
906mins | Yves Bissouma
886mins | Ryan Bertrand
880mins | Juninho Bacuna
844mins | Jonathan Hogg
840mins | Jesse Lingard
828mins | Jürgen Locadia
777mins | Joe Ralls
720mins | Calum Chambers
701mins | Fernandinho
665mins | Hamza Choudhury
618mins | Jean Michael Seri
585mins | Andrew Surman
581mins | Nemanja Matic
577mins | Alireza Jahanbakhsh
528mins | Ki Sung-yueng
524mins | Marc Albrighton
521mins | André-Frank Zambo Anguissa
496mins | Joe Bryan
474mins | Ander Herrera
471mins | Leandro Bacuna
468mins | Aron Gunnarsson
440mins | Harry Arter
394mins | Philip Billing
392mins | Mohamed Diamé
384mins | Tom Davies
382mins | Jason Puncheon
342mins | Matt Ritchie
333mins | Nampalys Mendy
323mins | Morgan Gibbs-White
318mins | Adama Diakhaby
292mins | Kieran Trippier
277mins | Martín Montoya
270mins | Rúben Vinagre
270mins | Abdoulaye Doucouré
270mins | Declan Rice
270mins | Joe Bennett
270mins | Enda Stevens
270mins | Oliver Norwood

Worth noting that some of these players, Tripper for example has more minutes in the PL but thats because he played at RB. The mins total above in that list is when he played as a right midfielder.
With the above in mind. The more you increase the minutes the worse it gets for Lingard.

Minutes: 270 or more
Number: 211
With 0 Goals and Assists: 44
Percentage: 20.9%

Minutes: 450 or more
Number: 169
With 0 Goals and Assists: 27
Percentage: 16.0%

Minutes: 630 or more
Number: 142
With 0 Goals and Assists: 16
Percentage: 11.3%
Great stuff RedSky.

Majima

Supports
Ralf Rangnick.
Lingard hat trick in the next game will be all my doing. :angel:
Haha one can hope! :D

By any chance, do you know the total percentage of players without a goal/assist who have played the same amount of minutes or more as Lingard in 2019 as well?

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
Haha one can hope! :D

By any chance, do you know the total percentage of players without a goal/assist who have played the same amount of minutes or more as Lingard in 2019 as well?
Lingard had 840 minutes, 106 players qualify, 11 of those didn't have a goal/assist (1 of which was obviously Jesse). So he's a member of the 10.4% of attacking players without a goal/assist. Those 11 are below:

1232mins | Roberto Pereyra - Watford
1162mins | Solly March - Brighton
1081mins | Matteo Guendouzi - Arsenal
1029mins | Miguel Almirón - Newcastle
931mins | Oumar Niasse - Cardiff
920mins | Elias Kachunga - Huddersfield
906mins | Yves Bissouma - Brighton
886mins | Ryan Bertrand - Southampton
880mins | Juninho Bacuna - Huddersfield
844mins | Jonathan Hogg - Huddersfield
840mins | Jesse Lingard - Manchester Utd

Status