Jesse Lingard will have an excellent season | Discuss in his player performance thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

wr8_utd

:'(
Play average players like Lingard, and you get average results. It's not rocket science. If Utd has title ambitions, then Lingard should be on the bench.
If we had title ambitions we'd have sold Lingard to a rival to weaken them.

Stacks

Maybe the single worst post I've ever seen on the Caf. First of all, he did not play for SAF so let's kill this Trumpian myth/lie that has been spouted many times on the Caf. Secondly, do you think it's acceptable for a #10/RW to go 8 months without a goal or assist? Serious question. Do you think a team can compete for top 4 or god forbid a title when an attacker who starts literally every game for which he is available contributes 0 goals and 0 assists for 8 months? All the movement is great but the chief role of a #10 is to make key passes and create goals and he does neither.
:lol: You are literally insane. You think "Ole's gameplan" (which by the by has proven so masterful these last 8 months) requires a number 10 who CANT CREATE ANYTHING?

Park and Fletcher did the off the ball work for Fergie. They were his disruptors. But, crucially, they were not the fecking focal point of our every attack as well. And even more fecking crucially, when someone played them into a good position they could at least keep the ball and play it on, something Lingard does successfully maybe 1 time in 6 attempts. How many attacks broke down at the touch of Lingard today? Go back over the match and count them, some homework for you.

He's a nothing player who wouldn't get on the pitch for Burnley or West Ham. He's closer to Championship standard than to top-four-aspiring standard.
This is surely a troll post ?
Its called "silent domination" for crying out loud

Red_toad

Probably to build his confidence since there is almost no end product. Just compare him to the players Pool and City have in the same position. No wonder we finished 30 points behind them and Lingard is the weakest link atm.
So you still by your comment Fergie should never have managed United? Or are you going to admit you’re a tad in the wrong?

Red_toad

What are you on about. Try and judge a player for yourself instead of being spoonfed your opinions. Fergie also rated luke chadwick, ronnie wallwork, tom cleverly etc etc. Nobody is infallible.
I’d sugggest you look at my post, I’ve not given any opinion on Jesse being a great player. I’m simply replying to a person who thinks any manager who has rated him should never have gotten the United job. Sir Alex did, that’s not my spoon fed opinion it’s his. So what are you on about?

Red_toad

Wasn’t trying to be smart, only replied to your post. Just got in from watching what was a grim performance and seen a post apparently praising someone that was a waste of space.
Praising whom? I was defending Sir Alex.
Had you bothered to ask, I thought Jesse had a poor game. He shouldn’t be a starter for United, but I don’t get how’s he appears to be the one to blame for our defeat, that was all down to defensive errors and horror VAR/ref decisions.

jeepers

Quite a few attacking phases were disrupted by a poor touch or pass of his. The touches were particularly woeful.

But to be fair, he wasn’t the only piece of shite on the pitch. That ref cost us, and he should never officiate another match again. Embarrassing.

JustW

Quite a few attacking phases were disrupted by a poor touch or pass of his. The touches were particularly woeful.

But to be fair, he wasn’t the only piece of shite on the pitch. That ref cost us, and he should never officiate another match again. Embarrassing.
Lingard needs to go on the bench because it is becoming embarrassing now looking at his stats. It is looking more and more like favoritism and not on merit being in the starting 11. Any foreign player with thoses showings would have gone on the bench a long time ago. He cant play at the moment in that number 10 role. It is time to give Andreas Pereira his chance in the starting 11. He played better than Lingard in first match and even get an assist but somehow find himself on the bench.

MikeKing

Supports
Bournemouth
He has been particularly bad these last two games, but saying that, it has been a while since he has done anything of note. Disappointing. Feels like there is no point to him, and he knows it. He probably believes his own hype too, which would mean he "creates space" for others so much right now that he doesn't even realise he isn't doing anything at all. Jeez.

amolbhatia50k

Sneaky bum time - Vaccination status: dozed off
We should be ruthless and sell him in the summer. Enough of this young player, home grown, decent squad player bullshit. Let's focus on quality.

Tony247

You cannot replace 80% of the team in one or two seasons. It has to be gradual. So now we have sorted out the defense to an extend. Have forwards which we think are the future (debatable but lets see). Now I believe next transfer window will focus on our midfield problem.

OneUnited24

What is the point starting him when we know he will be sub out in the second half.
Managers do it all the time, they wont haul you off at HT because they offer the chance for you to make it right.

That said in tight games where the opposition set up like Palace Lingard has no reason to be starting - however it shows how limited out options truly are. I personally want Pogba further forward and Fred/Mctom as our midfielders

jackal&hyde

He can be good when playing against better teams due to his defensive work/ pressing, but when it comes to breaking the opposition he is just not good at all. I knew we needed a new number 10 of Dybala, Fernandes standard and i'm already regretting not having bought one.

Unless Gomes can step up, it's going to be a long season.

Stacks

He has been particularly bad these last two games, but saying that, it has been a while since he has done anything of note. Disappointing. Feels like there is no point to him, and he knows it. He probably believes his own hype too, which would mean he "creates space" for others so much right now that he doesn't even realise he isn't doing anything at all. Jeez.
Been a while? I saw a tweet that said in the last year, in only one month out of 9, has Lingard scored or assisted a goal. When he starts scoring or assists you should say, it has been a while since he has done his usual nothing

Stacks

You cannot replace 80% of the team in one or two seasons. It has to be gradual. So now we have sorted out the defense to an extend. Have forwards which we think are the future (debatable but lets see). Now I believe next transfer window will focus on our midfield problem.
I hear ya but I also feel we cannot be too casual with not playing or competing in the premier competitions. Our lack of CL and status meant it was impossible to attract a player of Eriksen calibre and this won't change if we finish 6th or 5th again and can only offer Europa. Also any chance of keeping Pogba evaporates each time he has to go on the field and play with these lesser men so we would already be 1 or 2 steps backwards when he leaves next Summer.

Canagel

And to think people here were turning their noses up at players such as Dybala. But he doesnt have United DNA like Lingard right?

buckooo1978

wonder which rival would have bought Lingard - certainly none of the top 6 and maybe beyond

with his wage Everton might have been foolish enough

40m + Lingard for Maddison might have been interesting

Kostov

I’d sugggest you look at my post, I’ve not given any opinion on Jesse being a great player. I’m simply replying to a person who thinks any manager who has rated him should never have gotten the United job. Sir Alex did, that’s not my spoon fed opinion it’s his. So what are you on about?
What evidence do you have about him rating him apart from Sir Alex mentioning that he will probably be a late bloomer actually? Does that actually equate to him rating Lingard? I can't imagine an all time great like Sir Alex with his footballing knowledge can watch Lingard play football and actually rate him.

Last edited:

Kostov

Where on earth have I dragged down Carrick?

I was simply comparing the fact that many fans when Carrick was playing thought he was average and only passed sideways. When in fact he was the player that every player wanted to play with because he was able to do so much without many people noticing. If it weren't for Lampard and Gerrard he'd have been England's #1 midfielder for many many years. It was no suprise when we played AC Milan in the UCL that they focused on him as a focal point and the Italian press absolutely adored him when we played against them

Don't think because I support Lingard means that I dislike Carrick. Far from it.
You have dragged Carrick one of our most important players, who some fans because of their stupidity failed to realize how important he was until later in his career into a debate for Jesse Lingard, who has never been good enough and people rightfully point out as he is out of his depth and a weak link in the team. There almost nothing similar.

Kostov

wonder which rival would have bought Lingard - certainly none of the top 6 and maybe beyond

with his wage Everton might have been foolish enough

40m + Lingard for Maddison might have been interesting
Clubs are not that stupid. Everton have better players on the bench than Lingard. And Leicester would rather buy a better player than giving 100k a week to someone as average as Lingard.

K13

I hope so ... just needs to hit a bit of form and he will be fine.

hobbers

And to think people here were turning their noses up at players such as Dybala. But he doesnt have United DNA like Lingard right?
It wasn't a case of one or the other.

Not signing Dybala was the right call given his lack of motivation, wage demands and the image rights issue. Signing no one was a massive feck up.

What evidence do you have about him actually rating him apart from Sir Alex mentioning that he will probably be a late bloomer actually? Does that actually equate to him rating Lingard? I can't imagine an all time great like Sir Alex with his footballing knowledge can watch Lingard play football and actually rate him.
Exactly, a lot of people are getting it twisted. SAF would have lost patience with Lingard a long time ago. When did he ever keep hold of an attacker that didn't score or assist?

K13

Exactly, a lot of people are getting it twisted. SAF would have lost patience with Lingard a long time ago. When did he ever keep hold of an attacker that didn't score or assist?
Sir Alex loved Choccy Brian MClair and he was hardly prolific in his final 6 seasons but still a very valued squad member.

fps

Or Watford, Brighton and Southampton.
Indeed. At the end of the day, if you're not scoring or assisting, you're not a proper number 10. He's a good athlete, who plays football, not a good footballer.

AlwaysRed66

I know many might not agree, but I would drop Lingard & start Mata in 10 role. There is no point bringing him on as a sub, so if playing needs to start. I would then replace tiring Mata around hour mark & bring on Gomes. I would do this for a few games & see where it went. It would give Gomes experience coming on, & test players when they are tiring, & if success he can eventually replace Mata. Might not work, & both fail dismally, but at least it is something different.

Handré1990

He won’t have an excellent season, and never will. An excellent season by his own standard is possible. It would look something like this : 3 goals, 4 assists.

Good enough for the most important attacking position in or set up? Hardly.

I can’t stand seeing him start for us, and it has nothing to do with off field shenanigans. He’s just not a good footballer, by any stretch. They tore him to pieces before the match yesterday, and behold, he delivered on their predictions.

Amir

For Fergie, Lingard would probably have developed into a squad player. And that would have been fine. Problem is, he's a lot more than that to us right now.

Rightnr

Wants players fined for winning away.
Some people just never learn. The definition of insanity and all that...

Giggsforever

Bang average player and we have no players to replace him. Ffs.
He not avrage, not one stat is average. Assist, goals, key passes, chances created, interceptions, tackle, other defensive stats and headers won are all far, far worse than average.

Hugh Jass

Shave Dass
He is not good enough but if i were in his place, earning 70 grand a week after tax, i would not complain. It is up to the coaches and Ole to say, "you are not good enough to play for Man Utd."

If i were hired for a job i did not have the skillset to do, then you have to blame the person that hired me.

Hopefully Ole just puts him in the bench.

Chairman Steve

I think if he ends the season with less than 10 combined goals and assists, we should change the word ‘excellent’ to ‘excrement’

Seij

Which rival will even consider buying Lingard?

He is not good enough but if i were in his place, earning 70 grand a week after tax, i would not complain. It is up to the coaches and Ole to say, "you are not good enough to play for Man Utd."

If i were hired for a job i did not have the skillset to do, then you have to blame the person that hired me.

Hopefully Ole just puts him in the bench.
Ole just came out to defend Lingard and said he'll continue to be an important part. Expect 50 games with him.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Ole to blame for starting him. He is shit, so Ole should not be surprised. Pogba had his best time upfront why not play him there?

Redcy

Which rival will even consider buying Lingard?

Ole just came out to defend Lingard and said he'll continue to be an important part. Expect 50 games with him.
Who could have predicted that a team lacking a midfield would have issues? I don’t hate Lingard, the lad is a limited player who has never really improved. I can’t blame h, he is playing for a club he loves and I’m sure wants to do his best. Plus it seems he is doing the job he is asked to do. Apparently well enough to secure a spot, or maybe it’s ole trying to get the best out of him. I wonder if pogba and lingard could not swap roles to some extent, jesses big positive is his drive and energy, I know his tackling isn’t great and he can be a bit of a coward in possession, but pushing him to the 8 where he can run and press maybe our only play atm. Or maybe drop rashford to the 10 role, lingard right, James left? Lingard just isn’t good enough as a 10

Status
Not open for further replies.