- Jul 27, 2015
Oh sure. And maybe we're putting too much emphasis on all the goals that Messi and Ronaldo get with their 2% of the ball and maybe we should start giving out Balon D'Ors based on the other 98%. Then, the real talented players can win - you know, the guys that do all the important work for 98% of the game like movement and putting in a shift. Why focus on that real difficult 2% like putting balls in the back of the net and sliding players through on goal with great passes.Well, with all due respect, that is a stupid way to judge a player.
Any one player - no matter who they are - only has the ball at his feet for 2% of any game.
Fans judging what a player does based solely on that 2% alone are missing the essence of team sport.. especially this sport.
Why on earth would you only base a player's performance on 2%? When in fact the other 98% is way more important. Discipline (and I mean this in terms of carrying out manager's orders) is the most important attribute any player at the top level can have. Yes, some of those orders come in the realm of that 2%, such as decision-making on the ball, but most managerial orders and indeed most discipline is done in the other 98%.
The unfortunate thing is; most fans don't pay one iota of attention to the 98%; they are only interested in what a player does during the 2% of the time he has the ball at his feet.
When fans were playing junior football as a kid, their coaches were only concerned about how they kicked a ball; could they pass the ball, shoot....
And now they can only relate their football knowledge to what they learned when they were 12-years old. They only judge players on what they do on the ball.
But that is not how professional football works.
Wanna know why Jesse Lingard is highly regarded by the likes of Sir Alex Ferguson, Louis van Gaal, Jose Mourinho, Ole Solskjaer and Gareth Southgate? Because his 98% is top-quality! They know they can trust him implicitly to carry out their orders. And wanna know why he is disregarded by football fans on internet forums? It's simple: they don't understand the 98%.