Jesse Lingard

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevoc

I don't particularly dislike lingard, but he's never going to be a regular for us it's in everyones interests for him to move on.

By all accounts Ole lied to him about more football thus scuppering our only realistic chance of getting a decent fee for him when his stock was high last summer.

If Newcastle are prepared to cover his wages with a loan fee then just let him go as we aren't getting anything in the summer for him anyway.

Be interesting to see if the leaks die down if he does go.
That makes zero sense, doesn't make sense that Solskjaer would say it and certainly doesn't make sense that Lingard would believe it if for some unfathomable reason Ole did say it.

If it looks like bullshit and it smells like bullshit.....

beingshe7don

I'd think with Rangnick in charge, we'd not monkey around and get the outgoing deals done quickly as possible. Lingard, VDB and Martial deals should have been tied down in the first couple weeks of the new year.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Is Ralf panicking over not having enough options in the case of an injury crisis?

Overall a very strange situation as it seems to be a no brainer to let him go to Newcastle. (Even though on a personal level I prefer it if they just get relegated instead)

RedDevil@84

Did they even make an official bid?
No.
Moyes called Ole on his phone and asked "Jesse?" and Ole said "Big plans for him" and they didn't bother to enquire any further because that is how much they valued him.

L1nk

Is Ralf panicking over not having enough options in the case of an injury crisis?

Overall a very strange situation as it seems to be a no brainer to let him go to Newcastle. (Even though on a personal level I prefer it if they just get relegated instead)
He apparently gave his blessing, so this is all on the board

LawmanMan

I don’t think he actually wants to go to Newcastle. He would probably take a loan on crazy money, but would then try and get a WHU. Perhaps NUFC are demanding clauses that he stays?

Gandalf

Oh ok , that's nice to hear. So hopefully it's just us trying to squeeze a more favorable deal out of them Saudis .
Yep. Seems like a repeat of Martial to Sevilla. They lowball, plead poverty and brief the media that the deal does not look possible and then a few days later miraculously find more money alongside Tony taking a pay cut and it is all sorted. The only difference here is that Jesse really is not showing any inclination that taking a pay cut to play is in his thoughts.

stevoc

No.
Moyes called Ole on his phone and asked "Jesse?" and Ole said "Big plans for him" and they didn't bother to enquire any further because that is how much they valued him.
Well according to Moyes but even if that's true it makes sense.

If an opposition manager phones you up to ask about buying one of your players (which is pretty unusual these days) and you know that that opposition manager's club is almost certainly going to try to low ball you then you don't say. ''Yeah Jesse's no use to me mate, can't wait to get him out the door''. Do you?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Ole wanted a large squad like any Manager so was bound to say he had a need for Jesse in case of injuries, COVID etc. Jesse is a plonker if he genuinely thought that after not being able to get a game the previous season his chances were going to improve after we had added Sancho, another player to compete in his area of the field. The West Ham situation is an odd one, yes we did supposedly tell Moyes we did not want to sell but then that is only part of negotiation and if they had wanted him that much they still could have pushed, the rumours still were that they were only interested in him for a knockdown price because they felt they had the leverage.
Whether Lingard was silly to believe it is irrelevant. As a club we should have sold him for a fee rather than lose him for free and pay his wages for a year to do nothing

Rilz

Supports
Manchester united
I can’t believe we’re negotiating. What the feck are we doing? Just get rid of him. Pay all his wages if you have to. Amateur hour.
Why should we subsidise his loan move to the richest organisation on the planet ??

Gandalf

Whether Lingard was silly to believe it is irrelevant. As a club we should have sold him for a fee rather than lose him for free and pay his wages for a year to do nothing
Not one single bid was received though so who were we selling him to? If we had suffered an injury crisis he could have been needed, in hindsight that has not happened but again Jesse said he did not want to leave and 4 weeks later declined a new contract which suggests he was angling for a free transfer all along.

Red the Bear

Something less generic
Yep. Seems like a repeat of Martial to Sevilla. They lowball, plead poverty and brief the media that the deal does not look possible and then a few days later miraculously find more money alongside Tony taking a pay cut and it is all sorted. The only difference here is that Jesse really is not showing any inclination that taking a pay cut to play is in his thoughts.
Hopefully a sign of us actually getting serious about offloading our assets, also I doubt Jesse refusing to lower his wage will matter to them much , they basically have a bottomless pit of money to draw from.

joedirt87

isn't he able to negotiate a contract with another club at this point ? I get that he wants to go out on loan, but sign a contract elsewhere. this club is full of incompetents and you make actually get them to loan you out if you make the first move.

PoTMS

Steady on lads. This deal will definitely happen. Newcastle will get desperate.

DWelbz19

Correctly predicted Portugal to win Euro 2016
Steady on lads. This deal will definitely happen. Newcastle will get desperate.
They’ve been linked to two other midfielders who have very similar characteristics to Lingard and play in the same spaces — Alli and Ramsey. They have alternatives

Gandalf

They’ve been linked to two other midfielders who have very similar characteristics to Lingard and play in the same spaces — Alli and Ramsey. They have alternatives
Ramsey is said to have no interest at all but part of me hopes they do go for Alli as he is a total waste of space and is more likely to take them down than keep them up.

AndySmith1990

We actually seem to enjoy wasting money. It's the only explanation for not only handing out huge salaries to rubbish players, but desperately holding on to rubbish players despite them never even playing for us. We're such a strange club in so many ways.

sglowrider

Thinks the caf is 'wokeish'.
isn't he able to negotiate a contract with another club at this point ? I get that he wants to go out on loan, but sign a contract elsewhere. this club is full of incompetents and you make actually get them to loan you out if you make the first move.
Martial was keen on leaving and was in the middle of the loan discussions. So he didn't go on a break.

Jessie's in Dubai partying. So I doubt if he is expecting to go anywhere anytime soon.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
There is no apprehension about selling him to Newcastle. The player doesn't want a permanent move to them
Who gives a shit what he wants anymore.
He's got a few weeks left on his contract.
Loan or permanent move as long as he goes.
If its only a perm move that they offer and he refuses then let him rot in the reserve team

CM

I hope this is the case. We could do without Lingard hanging around for another 6 months.

McGrathsipan

Dawn’s less famous husband
Martial was keen on leaving and was in the middle of the loan discussions. So he didn't go on a break.

Jessie's in Dubai partying. So I doubt if he is expecting to go anywhere anytime soon.
Partying. This is exactly why I can't stand him.
Should be fighting for his future.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Not one single bid was received though so who were we selling him to? If we had suffered an injury crisis he could have been needed, in hindsight that has not happened but again Jesse said he did not want to leave and 4 weeks later declined a new contract which suggests he was angling for a free transfer all along.
Officially no, but we did knock back interest from West Ham

roseguy64

Who gives a shit what he wants anymore.
He's got a few weeks left on his contract.
Loan or permanent move as long as he goes.
If its only a perm move that they offer and he refuses then let him rot in the reserve team
I don't know if you realise this but he's not a slave. He doesn't have to leave if he doesn't want to while he's still under contract. It works both ways, for the club and the player.

C'est Moi Cantona

I don’t understand your point as it’s United trying to hold out for more money at this stage.
Tbf I hadn't see the BBC article before I said that, but I can see why United wouldn't see much point in taking a low loan fee for minimum reward, he is going in the summer, and a £3-£4 million saving before is maybe deemed not worth it for having him there in case we need him.

This might explain the DVB stories, which would be far more beneficial to us if he does really well elsewhere, and Jesse then helps make up the numbers until the summer.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Tbf I hadn't see the BBC article before I said that, but I can see why United wouldn't see much point in taking a low loan fee for minimum reward, he is going in the summer, and a £3-£4 million saving before is maybe deemed not worth it for having him there in case we need him.

This might explain the DVB stories, which would be far more beneficial to us if he does really well elsewhere, and Jesse then helps make up the numbers until the summer.
Fair enough. I’m off the belief that we should take what we can for him at this point. Let his place go to kids

Ali Dia

Souness's Super Sub/George Weahs Talented Cousin
Players we could have sold for decent money, reinvested and just moved on but messed around and lost all/a lot of major value on our watch.
Off the top of my head Pogba, Lingard, Herrera, Rojo, Romero, Mata, Matic, Darmian, Bailly, Henderson, Tuanzebe will surely be back and eventually sold for peanuts, paying Sanchez to leave, Martial isn’t getting 250 a week off a club ever again and he’s only 26, Donny loses value with every passing window and so on… frustrating to say the least

Status
Not open for further replies.