Jesse Lingard

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
Just seems odd to me that a player who’s barely played for us at all this season and who may be loaned out in the next few days would take a week off right now.
He's been on holiday for the last 2 years, why shouldn't he be now?
Why does something David Moyes said keep being brought up as evidence of anything? It certainly doesn't prove that Solskjaer told Lingard he would be getting loads of games this season.

Solskjaer didn't deal with transfers at United so no idea why Moyes was phoning him up. Plus what else would Solskjaer say to the potential buyer of the player he wanted to sell? Of course he would say he wanted to keep him, does it make sense to tell them you want to sell?

Barely played for a calendar year and then loaned out for 6 months, so obviously Ole wasn't looking to make him central to his plans.
I for one am struggling to think of any reason moyes would have an axe to grind about utd, its not like he spent 6 years bleating on about how he deserved more time, I'm SURE he can be trusted ti tell the truth

Gandalf

Good value if Longstaff is worth 50 million.
Nailed it. We ask about a young talent with a handful of PL games under his belt and get quoted 50M which we thankfully don't pay considering this guy is now an underperforming squad player for them and worth maybe 5M tops. They now win the lottery and ask us for a proven England international and PL talent and clutch their pearls in horror when we ask for a price they could easily pay. Happy to not be a doormat and hope they go down and stay down for a few years.

makes new threads with tweets in the OP
This is the crux of our problems in the transfer market, we are rubbish at gauging prices both for buying and selling
Its not surprising though is it?

Its fairly well established that our Football Director (who's never actually been a Football Director) before isn't involved in this bit. Its all Matt Judge. What does he know about values in the market?

We've been paying Martial more than Mane and Salah get for years. Its obvious Judge has no real benchmarks when throwing around valuations.

stevoc

I for one am struggling to think of any reason moyes would have an axe to grind about utd, its not like he spent 6 years bleating on about how he deserved more time, I'm SURE he can be trusted ti tell the truth
My thoughts exactly mate, wouldn't trust a word that came out of Moyes mouth in regards to United.

And even if it was true I'm pretty sure these days managers don't even phone each other up to buy/sell players, it'll be all done through formally at board level so Solskjaer wouldn't have been able to say much. Moyes probably phoned up hoping Ole was as daft as he looks and let slip that he was looking rid of Lingard strengthening West Ham's negotiating position.

L1nk

50million surely nobody at the club is that stupid when he's off for free in a few months!? :lol:

Gandalf

50million surely nobody at the club is that stupid when he's off for free in a few months!? :lol:
We are not asking for that though, we are asking for 15 million including his wages. Our position is that he is a 50 million talent which is of course debatable but to get a top class player why should Newcastle get him for a bargain price? We don't need to sell or loan him and we may end up using him or even needing him before the season ends so what is our motivation to help them? It is not like they are struggling paupers, they are the richest club in the world by a factor of about 100 and so they can now get used to paying the tax that we pay when we ask for players.

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
Its not surprising though is it?

Its fairly well established that our Football Director (who's never actually been a Football Director) before isn't involved in this bit. Its all Matt Judge. What does he know about values in the market?

We've been paying Martial more than Mane and Salah get for years. Its obvious Judge has no real benchmarks when throwing around valuations.
Its inherent at our club for years, it goes beyond murtough

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
I’m wondering if this is linked to the unwritten agreement between most of the PL teams to make transfers hard for Newcastle since their takeover.

Andrew7582

If they don't want to pay up then they can have fun playing in the championship next season with the £15 million still in their pocket, feck them.

L1nk

We are not asking for that though, we are asking for 15 million including his wages. Our position is that he is a 50 million talent which is of course debatable but to get a top class player why should Newcastle get him for a bargain price? We don't need to sell or loan him and we may end up using him or even needing him before the season ends so what is our motivation to help them? It is not like they are struggling paupers, they are the richest club in the world by a factor of about 100 and so they can now get used to paying the tax that we pay when we ask for players.
Right and normally I would agree with these kind of tactics, lord knows we've been soft in selling players for years, but we have absolutely 0 leverage when he's gone for free in a few months and we get absolutely zero money

-Supreme-

Newcastle are probably the only team that will give him the wages and sign on fee that he wants once his contract finishes,, I don’t think he’s happy that the club is essentially taking a big slice of his cake as Newcastle probably wouldnt want to hand out another huge sign on fee to Lingard when they bring him in the summer..

crossy1686

career ending
I’m wondering if this is linked to the unwritten agreement between most of the PL teams to make transfers hard for Newcastle since their takeover.
With the rise of City and Chelsea here in recent years, it's getting harder to be successful in England. I would bet the whole top half of the league don't want Newcastle anywhere what they're trying to do and the bottom half don't want Newcastle finishing above them.

Gandalf

Going back a couple of days it was widely reported that we would do a permanent deal, the fee was 20 Million and Newcastle were perfectly happy with that. The deal did not happen because Jesse wants two bites at the cake, a loan deal now to get game time and presumably some sort of survival bonus if Newcastle stay up and then he can still get his free agency wedge in the summer and sign with a London club which is what he really wants. He is still here because of his own stance on this so spare me your phony outrage Jesse.

With regards to the fee we are asking. We simply do not need to move him on, we are at peace with losing him for free and happy to utilize him as a squad option for the remainder of the season. If we are going to let him go then it has to be for an offer we cannot refuse, we are not the ones without leverage that would be Newcastle. They have a lousy squad and are getting relegated without a serious injection of quality, the clock is ticking and they have the money so it really comes down to whether they want to play us twice next year or if MBS dreams of the exotic splendour that is Swansea City.

Member 101269

Newcastle want him, they can pay or jog on. Fans complain we never get fees for player, now we’re trying the club is getting criticised

Newcastle want him, they can pay or jog on. Fans complain we never get fees for player, now we’re trying the club is getting criticised
It’s too late to be demanding, the time for that was in the summer or the year before. Now he is a free agent is 5 months.

The board are like a terrible gambler. They don’t know when to walk away while they are up, they keep playing for more until they leave with nothing.

peridigm

It’s too late to be demanding, the time for that was in the summer or the year before. Now he is a free agent is 5 months.

The board are like a terrible gambler. They don’t know when to walk away while they are up, they keep playing for more until they leave with nothing.
You have to know when to fold-em’
Know when to hold-em’
Know when to walk away
Know when to run

Sied

I..erm..love U2, baby?
What's the point in allowing these ludicrously wealthy state sponsored owners into the league if they aren't even going to give us money for old rope?!

mu4c_20le

What's the point in allowing these ludicrously wealthy state sponsored owners into the league if they aren't even going to give us money for old rope?!
This. There should be an anti-FFP rule, where they have to spend a mandatory minimum on deadwood to help their survival.

TrustInOle

Would be terrific if true, but I imagine most will be wiling to work for the right offers, especially the bigger clubs needing to move assets on. Love our stance so far, especially if we are pondering a development/ increase potential suitors loan for DVDB.

Bondi77

Newcastle can afford it.
Makes a change for us to try and gouge a rival club over the value of a player.

Member 101269

and know when Newcastle are desperate for players and the have money. It’s no different now than back when walker took over rovers

makes new threads with tweets in the OP

It's understood that Lingard was surprised to receive a call from one United executive asking him where his 'head was at' when the club knew full well that all he wanted to do was make a fresh start elsewhere.
This is oddly believable. :lol:

I can believe the Board genuinely thought players like Darmian, Rojo and Romero would be happily reintegrated into the squad. We never learn. :rolleyes:

binary bot
The club has serious issues with player valuations. They'll just go and buy someone else.

youngrell

Right and normally I would agree with these kind of tactics, lord knows we've been soft in selling players for years, but we have absolutely 0 leverage when he's gone for free in a few months and we get absolutely zero money
Of course we have leverage, he is contracted to us. If Newcastle want him they pay what we want. Otherwise he stays and it’s no skin off our nose.

L1nk

Of course we have leverage, he is contracted to us. If Newcastle want him they pay what we want. Otherwise he stays and it’s no skin off our nose.
Yeah but he's gone, for free, in a few months, so it's skin off of our noses to the tune of a few million and potentially a midfielder addition this January that we will not get if we don't sanction the deal, in return we'll have a miserable player sat on the bench who will barely play for us, picking up a full wage safe in the knowledge he's gone in a couple months anyway so who cares

Caesar2290

The club has serious issues with player valuations. They'll just go and buy someone else.
Who are they going to buy for that amount in the PL that is remotely close to Lingard's quality?

Newcastle have the money. It's not like we're asking for 100+ million now is it?

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Jones would never have agreed to leave last summer he's sitting on another 2-3 years of his current deal getting a guaranteed salary he won't get elsewhere.

And it would have made zero sense to let Bailly leave for free last summer also. He's a decent 4th choice CB (when fit) and some club somewhere would pay some sort of fee for him.
Who is talking about just last summer (Jones and Bailly) were previous summers quite obviously

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
Not really. Don't Newcastle get lot of money if they manage to stay in PL?
You don’t get payments for avoiding relegation. You do get next years PL payments.

So if we loan him to Everton do we also charge a staying in PL bonus?

Did we charge Sevilla a staying in La Liga bonus?

It makes zero sense, can’t blame the club for trying to pull a fast one though, but ultimately if we keep him because of that its going to cost us more than a 12m bonus

Status
Not open for further replies.