Jesse Lingard

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevoc

No, but that's not happened yet has it. So it's hard to judge someone on actions that haven't taken place.
Well let's be honest here it partly has. He was heavily linked with a move away last year and it was widely reported that Solskjaer told him he wasn't in his plans, but he stayed anyway. He only made 3 appearances and was then sent out on loan. A year later a similar scenario is playing out with talk of him wanting to 'stay and fight for his place' when even he must look at the squad and wonder where he gets much minutes.

Look he has a contract so he is within his right to sit on it until it ends but let's not dress it up like it's because of ambition.

United in sin

We really need to force him out. I hope Ole is ruthless on this.

He's worth ~20m now. How much does his value plummet when he has another goalless season?

There's 6 better wingers (Rashy, Sancho, Greenwood, Martial, Elanga, Amad) in the squad right now and if VDB flops as a 10 this year, we should improve on both of them, not settle for the least shitty one.
How are Amad and Elanga better already when they haven't even began their career here in earnest? They both have a lot of promise but you're jumping the gun here.

Remember the next Giggs and Ronaldo rolled in one Januzaj? Remember Macheda? Remember James Wilson? So much hype, so much promise. Let's chill with overhyping these kids before we inevitably shut them down if they don't hit the ground running.

You'll likely never see that Lingard at United though.
I guess time will tell.

arthurka

The slot is open for him to become the heir to the thrown, Barca wouldn't say no to Messi Lingod now that the Messi has finally buggered off.

Fergie's Assist

I'm sure whatever move he does next, he'll do it with swag. Unfortunately, just not on the pitch.

VanDeBank

Ma’am
How are Amad and Elanga better already
Because they haven't had a goalless season.

Remember the next Giggs and Rondo rolled in one Januzaj?
Looking promising for a team that finished 7th under Moyes vs looking promising for a team that finished second are two very different things.

When Amad and Elanga don't score a goal in an entire fecking calender year, I'm open to revising my ranking.

It's a miracle he went on that goal scoring run for West Ham. We'd be morons not to take whatever they offer. He's shite.

If Pogba extends we'll have 7 better wingers, Jesse is tied 8th/9th with Dan James. At least when I see James play I can tell what he's good at. Lingard doesn't look like a professional footballer when he isn't scoring a goal, and he went on a year long drought!!!

I mean, ffs, how does Jesse manage to be more shit on the wing than as a 10 when his biggest quality is his pace!?

His best position is probably goalkeeper, at least there he can get away with not scoring a single goal in a year.

Edit: I'd like to apologize to Mata for forgetting about him. Let's keep our 10th best winger that a fool is willing to pay 15+ million for.

Feck me.

Edit 2: Oops, let's not forget Pellistri. Lingard is not in our top ten wingers.

United in sin

Because they haven't had a goalless season.

Looking promising for a team that finished 7th under Moyes vs looking promising for a team that finished second are two very different things.

When Amad and Elanga don't score a goal in an entire fecking calender year, I'm open to revising my ranking.

It's a miracle he went on that goal scoring run for West Ham. We'd be morons not to take whatever they offer. He's shite.

If Pogba extends we'll have 7 better wingers, Jesse is tied 8th/9th with Dan James. At least when I see James play I can tell what he's good at. Lingard doesn't look like a professional footballer when he isn't scoring a goal, and he went on a year long drought!!!

I mean, ffs, how does Jesse manage to be more shit on the wing than as a 10 when his biggest quality is his pace!?

His best position is probably goalkeeper, at least there he can get away with not scoring a single goal in a year.

Edit: I'd like to apologize to Mata for forgetting about him. Let's keep our 10th best winger that a fool is willing to pay 15+ million for.

Feck me.

Edit 2: Oops, let's not forget Pellistri. Lingard is not in our top ten wingers.
James is garbage. This post reeks of emotion, hyporbole and hate so I'll leave you at it.

Last edited:

VanDeBank

Ma’am
James is garbage. This post reeks of emotion and hate so I'll leave you at it.
Not having a goalless season is an objective criterium for an attacking minded player.

I'm fine with changing it to 25+ hours of playing time if you think that's more fair?

The emotional ones are those that want to keep him because he's from the academy and he scored that goal.

I never hate a United player. Disgust is a better term. And that's from watching him stink up the place for 6 years. Off the pitch I quite like him.

United in sin

Not having a goalless season is an objective criterium for an attacking minded player.

I'm fine with changing it to 25+ hours of playing time if you think that's more fair?

The emotional ones are those that want to keep him because he's from the academy and he scored that goal.

I never hate a United player. Disgust is a better term. And that's from watching him stink up the place for 6 years. Off the pitch I quite like him.
3 years, 4 years, 6 years, 8! Will you Lingard detractors decide how long he's been 'stinking' up the place? Only in 2019 he scored against Liverpool and Arsenal in three games

Last edited:

VanDeBank

Ma’am
3 years, 4 years, 6 years, 8! Will you Lingard detractors decide how long he's been 'stinking' up the place? Only in 2019 he scored against Liverpool and Arsenal in there games
We should keep him because he scored 2 goals 2 years ago, one of which against a midtable team?

Jacob

Just go, mate. Honestly.

He's like chicken skin on the back of your arm.

United in sin

We should keep him because he scored 2 goals 2 years ago, one of which against a midtable team?
Three goals. Only Rashford and Martial have more goals against top 4 sides than Lingard. Arsenal finished above us for the second season straight when Lingard scored those goals. He's better than your speed merchant James but that's hardly anything to be proud of, yet you rate him more!

Last edited:

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Only Rashford and Martial have more goals against top 4 sides than Lingard.
What a misleading stat. Those 3 players have been here very long. So Jesse is better Bruno or Greenwood because he has more goals against top 4 sides :lol:

He's better than your speed merchant James but that's hardly anything to be proud of, yet you rate him more!
Just because you're a fanboy of a certain player doesn't mean other posters have to be. I never said I rate him more, look:

If Pogba extends we'll have 7 better wingers, Jesse is tied 8th/9th with Dan James.
I thought on the wing they're roughly on the same level. Lingard is a pace merchant too btw, it's just that he's somehow more shit on the wing than as a 10, that it's harder to notice.

yearleagueappsgoalsassistsminutes
19/20Premier League221-931'
18/19Premier League27431.668'
17/18Premier League33861.822'
16/17Premier League25121.366'
15/16Premier League25411.634'

if we take James' goals per minutes ratio of last season, it's better than Jesse's average.

13 goals in 7421 total minutes. One goal every 422 minutes. For James it's one goal every 300 minutes for last season (3 goals in 900 PL). Any way you wanna do the match (include assists, add other comps, take out 2 of Jesses's worst seasons, add James' first season) James > Lingard by a wide margin.

So I'll revise my opinion and say that Dan fecking James is better than Jesse Lingard. I don't like watching either of them, but it's hard to argue with the stats.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
It does seem surprising that West Ham haven't come in for him.
He looked revitalised for 6 weeks for them. Maybe it tailed off a bit after that, bit surely he's worth 20-25m of their money?

He might get a few minor game run outs here but there's no possible way to see him starting regularly surely?

diarm

He's going nowhere. Was probably the case anyway, but Covid means he'll definitely stay now and play the 7 and a half minutes Bruno doesn't play this season.

Would've preferred to see Hannibal get those 7 minutes as well as the odd league cup or dead rubber game, but so be it.

RedSky

Shepherd’s Delight
Scout
He looked revitalised for 6 weeks for them. Maybe it tailed off a bit after that, bit surely he's worth 20-25m of their money?

He might get a few minor game run outs here but there's no possible way to see him starting regularly surely?
It's bizarre, 9 goals and 4 assists in 1400mins in the league. Finishing as their 3rd highest goalscorer, 1 goal behind Soucek and Antonio. They've made no signings though this Summer so suggests to me they're broke and have feck all cash.

w1thout

I wish him a speedy recovery. But yeah, he's not going anywhere.

Trequarista10

Have they signed anyone significant for the same position? Makes sense for them to hold out to get Jesse on the cheap towards deadline day. He's been there last season so wouldn't need time to settle, and Jesse wouldn't take time to convince to join them (unless a bigger club went for him, which could be what Lingard is holding out for).

choccy77

It's bizarre, 9 goals and 4 assists in 1400mins in the league. Finishing as their 3rd highest goalscorer, 1 goal behind Soucek and Antonio. They've made no signings though this Summer so suggests to me they're broke and have feck all cash.
No, West Ham owners are just very very tight.

Sandikan

aka sex on the beach
Have they signed anyone significant for the same position? Makes sense for them to hold out to get Jesse on the cheap towards deadline day. He's been there last season so wouldn't need time to settle, and Jesse wouldn't take time to convince to join them (unless a bigger club went for him, which could be what Lingard is holding out for).
Can't imagine a bigger club than West Ham will come in?
They finished 6th last year, and there's no chance anyone above, or an Arsen/Tott come in is there?

Trequarista10

Can't imagine a bigger club than West Ham will come in?
They finished 6th last year, and there's no chance anyone above, or an Arsen/Tott come in is there?
I was thinking more a foreign side in CL, I don't really follow transfer rumours too much so don't know how true it is, but I recall reading some links to clubs like Atletico, Inter etc.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
When I saw his two threads at the top, I got excited. Perhaps we had sold him. Hope he recovers quickly.

stevoc

If he is he shouldn't be.

United in sin

What a misleading stat. Those 3 players have been here very long. So Jesse is better Bruno or Greenwood because he has more goals against top 4 sides :lol:

Just because you're a fanboy of a certain player doesn't mean other posters have to be. I never said I rate him more, look:

I thought on the wing they're roughly on the same level. Lingard is a pace merchant too btw, it's just that he's somehow more shit on the wing than as a 10, that it's harder to notice.

yearleagueappsgoalsassistsminutes
19/20Premier League221-931'
18/19Premier League27431.668'
17/18Premier League33861.822'
16/17Premier League25121.366'
15/16Premier League25411.634'

if we take James' goals per minutes ratio of last season, it's better than Jesse's average.

13 goals in 7421 total minutes. One goal every 422 minutes. For James it's one goal every 300 minutes for last season (3 goals in 900 PL). Any way you wanna do the match (include assists, add other comps, take out 2 of Jesses's worst seasons, add James' first season) James > Lingard by a wide margin.

So I'll revise my opinion and say that Dan fecking James is better than Jesse Lingard. I don't like watching either of them, but it's hard to argue with the stats.
I mentioned his record against big teams to show his meaningful contributions to united, not to say he's better than the players you mentioned. It's not that hard.

Fanboy? How old are you?

Dribbling is one of Lingard's biggest strengths

The stats don't provide context. That championship level of a player in James had a purple patch in his first few games at United and went for several months before scoring or assisting again.

All but one of his goals last season came at points in games which were already done and dusted, and in the closing minutes, like his last goal in the 9-0 thrashing of Southampton. His goals against Sociedad, Leeds and Besiksehir were scored in similar fashion, all after the 90th minute in big wins. Useless pad your stats goals.

Compare that to Lingard's records in big games, including his FA cup winner against Palace and tell me who is the bigger contributor

VanDeBank

Ma’am
I mentioned his record against big teams to show his meaningful contributions to united, not to say he's better than the players you mentioned. It's not that hard.
And what part about a player being here for 6 years has more opportunities to play and score in big matches than a player that's been here for 2 years eludes you? How many big games has James even played in? 4? What was Lingard's competition even back in the day, Wellbeck and Valencia?

Fanboy? How old are you?
That's cute, considering I labeled you a fanboy because of your childish habit of referring to James as "your player".

The stats don't provide context. That championship level of a player in James had a purple patch in his first few games at United and went for several months before scoring or assisting again.
I'm fine with ignoring James' debut and focusing on his dry spell if we also ignore Lingard's 17/18 season and zoom in on his goalless 19/20 season (EPL).

If Lingard has scored one goal every 422 minutes throughout career and Dan James one every 300 minutes. What meaningful contribution does Lingard make that warrant him needing to be 122 minutes longer on the pitch for every goal? Is he sound defensively and so fast he's a threat out wide? :smirk:

All but one of his goals last season came at points in games which were already done and dusted, and in the closing minutes, like his last goal in the 9-0 thrashing of Southampton. His goals against Sociedad, Leeds and Besiksehir were scored in similar fashion, all after the 90th minute in big wins. Useless pad your stats goals.
One important goal (and 4 "useless" ones) is still better than scoring 0 league goals in a season. Lingard scored ZERO deciding goals in his last full season here. LASK away doesn't count because we we're 5-0 up in aggregate score. :lol: Funny how this smack talk about James is coming back to bite you.

Compare that to Lingard's records in big games, including his FA cup winner against Palace and tell me who is the bigger contributor
Well, James.
If Lingard is clearly superior why didn't he get James' 1500 minutes with James going out on loan?

Do you have stocks in Jlingz or something? I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see you again after Jesse's transfer. Why would you stay to support "my" James?

Last edited:

r0663664

Worships Man City
This pandemic has made this hard to sell players. Most club is managing their cash flow so only quality players are moving. Everyone is playing the waiting game. Lingard and Jones should definitely leave. There just isn't any mins for them. Utd should just let them go on free transfer and save on the wages. There just isn't any point paying them where they don't have any.

Matthew84!

I honestly don't get what the big deal is, if he stays he's not going to be playing every game, so the fans on here who hate him won't have to worry.
He'll play cup games and probably come on for the last half hour if we're winning 3-0, he's experienced and we need bodies if we are going to challenge for trophies this season.
For those that want him to leave well perhaps he'll go in January when he gets bored. Who knows.

hobbers

I honestly don't get what the big deal is, if he stays he's not going to be playing every game, so the fans on here who hate him won't have to worry.
He'll play cup games and probably come on for the last half hour if we're winning 3-0, he's experienced and we need bodies if we are going to challenge for trophies this season.
For those that want him to leave well perhaps he'll go in January when he gets bored. Who knows.
It's more the fact if he stays he is inevitably going to get another contract to "protect his value" and that'll just be more money pissed away.

HailtotheKing

It's more the fact if he stays he is inevitably going to get another contract to "protect his value" and that'll just be more money pissed away.
Yup and probably at a ridiculous wage that will make him even harder to move on. Fingers crossed we’re actually learning from this. But history suggests not.

United in sin

And what part about a player being here for 6 years has more opportunities to play and score in big matches than a player that's been here for 2 years eludes you? How many big games has James even played in? 4? What was Lingard's competition even back in the day, Wellbeck and Valencia?

That's cute, considering I labeled you a fanboy because of your childish habit of referring to James as "your player".

I'm fine with ignoring James' debut and focusing on his dry spell if we also ignore Lingard's 17/18 season and zoom in on his goalless 19/20 season (EPL).

If Lingard has scored one goal every 422 minutes throughout career and Dan James one every 300 minutes. What meaningful contribution does Lingard make that warrant him needing to be 122 minutes longer on the pitch for every goal? Is he sound defensively and so fast he's a threat out wide? :smirk:

One important goal (and 4 "useless" ones) is still better than scoring 0 league goals in a season. Lingard scored ZERO deciding goals in his last full season here. LASK away doesn't count because we we're 5-0 up in aggregate score. :lol: Funny how this smack talk about James is coming back to bite you.

Well, James.
If Lingard is clearly superior why didn't he get James' 1500 minutes with James going out on loan?

Do you have stocks in Jlingz or something? I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see you again after Jesse's transfer. Why would you stay to support "my" James?
I'm a life long supporter. Never make assumptions

roonster09

Hercule Poirot of the scouting world
Scout

Fanboy? How old are you?

Dribbling is one of Lingard's biggest strengths

Yeah Lingard has contributed to ManUtd than James, it's not even a contest. Lingard scored goals in 2 cup finals and scored few individually brilliant goals.

Regarding stats, if we take out James purple patch, surely we have to take out Lingard's 2 purple patches in 6 years? One in 2017-18 season for few months and one for West Ham last season. Didn't Lingard complete a year in PL without a goal or assist? Don't remember exactly how many months but it was meme at one point and he was playing good number of games too.

roonster09

Scout
Lingard wanted to play and wasn't happy with backup role, James is at least for now is happy to play back up role.

It's like saying Lukaku isn't better than Lingard, if so why did we sell him instead of Lingard.

devilish

Juventus fan who used to support United
How are Amad and Elanga better already when they haven't even began their career here in earnest? They both have a lot of promise but you're jumping the gun here.

Remember the next Giggs and Ronaldo rolled in one Januzaj? Remember Macheda? Remember James Wilson? So much hype, so much promise. Let's chill with overhyping these kids before we inevitably shut them down if they don't hit the ground running.

I guess time will tell.
Kids won't improve unless they play regular football. I'd rather see us gamble on a promising kid then a proven failure

VanDeBank

Ma’am
Lingard wanted to play and wasn't happy with backup role, James is at least for now is happy to play back up role.

It's like saying Lukaku isn't better than Lingard, if so why did we sell him instead of Lingard.
James was higher in the pecking order, evidenced by the fact Lingard usually didn't make the squad when fit before his loan, let alone play the occasional 30-60m like Dan James did.

Lingard:
29/19/20H(10.)Crystal Palace (8.)1:3not in squad
39/26/20A(12.)Brighton (8.)2:3on the bench
410/4/20H(9.)Spurs (10.)1:6on the bench
510/17/20A(15.)Newcastle (10.)1:4 Knock
610/24/20H(7.)Chelsea (10.)0:0 Knock
711/1/20H(10.)Arsenal (13.)0:1 Knock
811/7/20A(13.)Everton (5.)1:3 Knock
911/21/20H(10.)West Brom (18.)1:0 Knock
1011/29/20A(7.)Southampton (5.)2:3 Knock
1112/5/20A(4.)West Ham (7.)1:3not in squad
1212/12/20H(4.)Man City (5.)0:0not in squad
1312/17/20A(5.)Sheff Utd (20.)2:3not in squad
1412/20/20H(2.)Leeds (13.)6:2not in squad
1512/26/20A(2.)Leicester (3.)2:2on the bench
1612/29/20H(2.)Wolves (11.)1:0not in squad
171/1/21H(2.)Aston Villa (4.)2:1on the bench
11/12/21A(10.)Burnley (12.)0:1not in squad
191/17/21A(1.)Liverpool (5.)0:0not in squad
181/20/21A(1.)Fulham (18.)1:2not in squad
201/27/21H(2.)Sheff Utd (20.)1:2not in squad

James:
29/19/20H(10.)Crystal Palace (8.)1:3RW45'
39/26/20A(12.)Brighton (8.)2:3not in squad
410/4/20H(9.)Spurs (10.)1:6not in squad
510/17/20A(15.)Newcastle (10.)1:4LW76'
610/24/20H(7.)Chelsea (10.)0:0LW58'
711/1/20H(10.)Arsenal (13.)0:1not in squad
811/7/20A(13.)Everton (5.)1:3on the bench
911/21/20H(10.)West Brom (18.)1:0on the bench
1011/29/20A(7.)Southampton (5.)2:3on the bench
1312/17/20A(5.)Sheff Utd (20.)2:3on the bench
1412/20/20H(2.)Leeds (13.)6:2RW90'
1512/26/20A(2.)Leicester (3.)2:2RW54'
1612/29/20H(2.)Wolves (11.)1:0on the bench
171/1/21H(2.)Aston Villa (4.)2:13'
11/12/21A(10.)Burnley (12.)0:1on the bench
181/20/21A(1.)Fulham (18.)1:2on the bench
201/27/21H(2.)Sheff Utd (20.)1:2on the bench
211/30/21A(2.)Arsenal (10.)0:0on the bench
222/2/21H(2.)Southampton (12.)9:0LW30'
232/6/21H(2.)Everton (6.)3:3on the bench
242/14/21A(2.)West Brom (19.)1:1on the bench
252/21/21H(2.)Newcastle (17.)3:1RW88'
262/28/21A(2.)Chelsea (5.)0:0RW90'
293/3/21A(2.)Crystal Palace (12.)0:0RW14'
273/7/21A(2.)Man City (1.)0:2RW90'
283/14/21H(2.)West Ham (4.)1:0RW90'
304/4/21H(2.)Brighton (16.)2:1LW18'

I included that run into the team for James after Lingard's loan to West Ham (after Sheffield loss), because he actually got into the team on merit (no injuries), with both Greenwood and Martial having a very poor first half of the season.

You can't just keep a player that can have a goalless season, scores 4 league goals in most other seasons, just because he's had a few big game goals. He's 28 and has been here his entire career. Of course he'll have more big game goals than James and Greenwood.

Sell both, just start with Lingard. Promote Elanga.

roonster09

Scout
James was higher in the pecking order, evidenced by the fact Lingard usually didn't make the squad when fit before his loan, let alone play the occasional 30-60m like Dan James did.

Lingard:
29/19/20H(10.)Crystal Palace (8.)1:3not in squad
39/26/20A(12.)Brighton (8.)2:3on the bench
410/4/20H(9.)Spurs (10.)1:6on the bench
510/17/20A(15.)Newcastle (10.)1:4Knock
610/24/20H(7.)Chelsea (10.)0:0Knock
711/1/20H(10.)Arsenal (13.)0:1Knock
811/7/20A(13.)Everton (5.)1:3Knock
911/21/20H(10.)West Brom (18.)1:0Knock
1011/29/20A(7.)Southampton (5.)2:3Knock
1312/17/20A(5.)Sheff Utd (20.)2:3not in squad
1412/20/20H(2.)Leeds (13.)6:2not in squad
1512/26/20A(2.)Leicester (3.)2:2on the bench
1612/29/20H(2.)Wolves (11.)1:0not in squad
171/1/21H(2.)Aston Villa (4.)2:1on the bench
11/12/21A(10.)Burnley (12.)0:1not in squad
181/20/21A(1.)Fulham (18.)1:2not in squad
201/27/21H(2.)Sheff Utd (20.)1:2not in squad

James:
29/19/20H(10.)Crystal Palace (8.)1:3RW45'
39/26/20A(12.)Brighton (8.)2:3not in squad
410/4/20H(9.)Spurs (10.)1:6not in squad
510/17/20A(15.)Newcastle (10.)1:4LW76'
610/24/20H(7.)Chelsea (10.)0:0LW58'
711/1/20H(10.)Arsenal (13.)0:1not in squad
811/7/20A(13.)Everton (5.)1:3on the bench
911/21/20H(10.)West Brom (18.)1:0on the bench
1011/29/20A(7.)Southampton (5.)2:3on the bench
1312/17/20A(5.)Sheff Utd (20.)2:3on the bench
1412/20/20H(2.)Leeds (13.)6:2RW90'
1512/26/20A(2.)Leicester (3.)2:2RW54'
1612/29/20H(2.)Wolves (11.)1:0on the bench
171/1/21H(2.)Aston Villa (4.)2:13'
11/12/21A(10.)Burnley (12.)0:1on the bench
181/20/21A(1.)Fulham (18.)1:2on the bench
201/27/21H(2.)Sheff Utd (20.)1:2on the bench
211/30/21A(2.)Arsenal (10.)0:0on the bench
222/2/21H(2.)Southampton (12.)9:0LW30'
232/6/21H(2.)Everton (6.)3:3on the bench
242/14/21A(2.)West Brom (19.)1:1on the bench
252/21/21H(2.)Newcastle (17.)3:1RW88'
262/28/21A(2.)Chelsea (5.)0:0RW90'
293/3/21A(2.)Crystal Palace (12.)0:0RW14'
273/7/21A(2.)Man City (1.)0:2RW90'
283/14/21H(2.)West Ham (4.)1:0RW90'
304/4/21H(2.)Brighton (16.)2:1LW18'

I included that run into the team for James after Lingard's loan to West Ham (after Sheffield loss), because he actually got into the team on merit (no injuries), with both Greenwood and Martial having a very poor first half of the season.

You can't just keep a player that can have a goalless season, scores 4 league goals in most other seasons, just because he's had a few big game goals. He's 28 and has been here his entire career. Of course he'll have more big game goals than James and Greenwood.

Sell both, just start with Lingard. Promote Elanga.
That's just weird

Status
Not open for further replies.