Jesse Lingard

Status
Not open for further replies.

roseguy64

That would be incredibly frustrating. If he stays, we'll feel obligated to play him and he will just take up minutes of prospects like Elanga, Mejbri, or Amad.
We didn't feel obligated to play him last season so why would we feel so this season?

marktan

Surely West Ham would be interested at £15m? It's not a bad price at all for what he'd offer them.

iKnowNothing

So many posts here talking about Lingard choosing to run down his contract and leave for a free. Have you forgotten about the love of handing out contract extensions by the board? He might be hoping to get a shiny new 200k contract in a couple of months :lol:

kouroux

45k posts to finally achieve this tagline
That would be incredibly frustrating. If he stays, we'll feel obligated to play him and he will just take up minutes of prospects like Elanga, Mejbri, or Amad.
The club just needs to have authority, he can stay but also rot on the bench/reserves if his aim is to leave on a free. He does not necessarily have to take up minutes from the younger and more promising players

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Maybe he thinks he is ahead of VDB as backup for Bruno, so it makes no sense to leave.
Ole needs to be clear then - you are not going to play for my team Jesse.
he probably feckin is
Hes probably ahead of him in the pecking order because he's a much better attacking midfielder than Van de Beek? Lingard is actually a good squad player to have if he can be happy as one here. He still won't get enough games, but when it comes to being a #10, if Pogba and Bruno are out, he's a bit of a no brainer IMO.

Sting

I think he should leave but he’s way better than VDB that’s for sure.

Andycoleno9

matchday malcontent
Your original post, to remind you was a load of bollox about lingard happy to sit in the stands and concentrate on his brand.
It seems to be true. Lingard is happy to be a backup player in United (rather than playing regulary in midtable PL clubs).
On top of that, based on comments, Ole has faith in him. So Lingard thinks that he can get new contract by staying here.

Nothing wrong with that. That is his choice. But i know that we and Ole should have been more ruthless here but what is done is done (unless something happens today and he leaves).

sugar_kane

I know he's only got one year on his contract left but I still find it mad that we can get significantly more for James than clubs are willing to pay for Jesse, and that West Ham are happy to spend 30 mill on the likes of Zouma but not re-sign their best player from the second half of last season.

ehsanul

Bestower of favours
More wages at United, his "brands" have more value when he's at United and he has a chance of picking up token medals at United.

He knows he is behind Ronaldo, Cavani, Sancho, Rashford, Greenwood, Pogba, Bruno, Martial but he's still hanging around. He's not interested in regular football. He has a chance to go to a new club and get a full season as a starter in a World Cup year and he's not taking it. That says everything.
It shows the character of the player that he is more willing to rot on the bench rather then play first team football,and more importantly it shows how shit a manager Ole is that he is not willing to sell him.

Highfather_24

A lot of the things Ferdinand said about Jones, actually applies more for Lingard. He seems the type to just "chill" rather than actively looking to play games for another club.

Highfather_24

Surely West Ham would be interested at £15m? It's not a bad price at all for what he'd offer them.
Crazy if we are not backing down from a 20-25M price. Surely 15M is better than having him rotting on high wages and then losing him on free?

golden_blunder

Site admin. Manchester United fan
Staff
It seems to be true. Lingard is happy to be a backup player in United (rather than playing regulary in midtable PL clubs).
On top of that, based on comments, Ole has faith in him. So Lingard thinks that he can get new contract by staying here.

Nothing wrong with that. That is his choice. But i know that we and Ole should have been more ruthless here but what is done is done (unless something happens today and he leaves).
There is a difference between being happy to be part of the squad and what the chap said about willingly putting his feet up with no interest in playing football, happy to take the money so he can concentrate on his brand.

which was bollox as someone pointed out he played the very next game

devips

Maybe, just maybe, Lingard is staying because his Manager wants it so?

Maybe he has promises of playing minutes?

Maybe Lingard is laughing at your expense?

E-mal

I dont know what's happening but if west ham had requested for a loan then they are taking the piss.
If Lingard wants to stay then it is within his right since he has a contract with us even though it is a cnutish thing to do. We should stay away from giving him any new contract, no value in keeping someone his age with no football time to a contract.

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
Ole needs to be ruthless. What's the fecking point of declaring "he's in my plans, part of my squad" etc. Is he protecting his "value"? It's so transparent and counterproductive. The end result of all this will be Jesse staying put and leaves for free next year. We get nothing and pay his wages.

Ole needs to come out and say in private - son, you're not part of my plans, find another team or rot in the reserves. Put the onus on Jesse to bring an offer acceptable to the club.

We're too soft when it comes to selling dead-weight
That's poor management and why Mourinho is such a short term coach. Why burn bridges with a player you are not sure will leave and you might have to rely on?

Kostov

It will be same old story I am afraid. He is not suited for a team like Manchester United. He needs to play in an underdog and counter attacking side. I am afraid it will again ruin his confidence and back to square one.

TheNewEra

Knows Kroos' mentality
He should be moved on at this point, he is a good player don't get me wrong and he can be in a top 6 team like Arsenal. He's not a Manchester United player though in my books.

Find a reasonable fee and add quality in the squad, add depth. DvB can have another year.

Keep Fred, McTominay, move on Mata.

Give Matic another year, buy a quality CDM and next year go RB and another CM option shopping.

stevoc

I dont know what's happening but if west ham had requested for a loan then they are taking the piss.
If Lingard wants to stay then it is within his right since he has a contract with us even though it is a cnutish thing to do. We should stay away from giving him any new contract, no value in keeping someone his age with no football time to a contract.
And people should remember this, no one forced United to offer him a 5 year contract on £100k+ per week. If Jesse wants to stay and run his contract down while not playing much with a view to leaving on a free next year then he's well within his rights.

Djemba-Djemba

He couldn't get in the team the last few years anyway, and now we've added Cavani and Ronaldo and Sancho and Greenwood has matured and is clearly a special talent etc.

He's got no chance.

If we have a few dead rubbers in the CL and advance in the League Cup he might get a few games. Other than that it'll be sub cameos at best.

Last edited:

pratyush_utd

Can't tell DeGea and Onana apart.
And people should remember this, no one forced United to offer him a 5 year contract on £100k+ per week. If Jesse wants to stay and run his contract down while not playing much with a view to leaving on a free next year then he's well within his rights.
Yes but people can question his ambition which from outside does look like he prefers to stay on bench rather than go and get regular football.

devil99

"Done deal - West Ham sign Croatia international Nikola Vlasic on BBC". So no WestHam move then for Lingard

ehsanul

Bestower of favours
Imo i think Ole wants him to stay so all the blame should go towards him, and rest assure Utd will offer him a new contract extension for that shit.

Never in million years Utd will let him go for free next season.

The Purley King

West Ham confirm signing of Vlasic, an attacking midfielder. Surely that is an end to an interest for Lingard from them.
Yep - that is the end of that.
Last gasp bid from Everton maybe? Can't believe we are clutching at straws on deadline day for him............

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
The club just needs to have authority, he can stay but also rot on the bench/reserves if his aim is to leave on a free. He does not necessarily have to take up minutes from the younger and more promising players
That's never going to happen. He will take those minutes ahead of Diallo etc.

Sparky_Hughes

I am Shitbeard.
He either has a total lack of ambition, or is totally deluded and thinks he can displace far superior players from our side, either way, I wish he would just go.

stevoc

That's never going to happen. He will take those minutes ahead of Diallo etc.
When will he get minutes? Where does he play?

----------------------Bruno/VDB/Mata

Sancho/Greenwood----------Rashford/Martial

-----------------------Ronaldo/Cavani

We didn't have Ronaldo, Sancho or Diallo this time last year and he only got 3 starts in the cups before being sent on loan. I don't see how he doesn't get even less minutes this season.

stevoc

Yes but people can question his ambition which from outside does look like he prefers to stay on bench rather than go and get regular football.
Yeah if a player chooses to stay at a club where he's barely played for 18 months while being mostly fit in that time then yeah he's fair game for that sort of criticism.

Desert Eagle

Punjabi Dude
When will he get minutes? Where does he play?

----------------------Bruno/VDB/Mata

Sancho/Greenwood----------Rashford/Martial

-----------------------Ronaldo/Cavani

We didn't have Ronaldo, Sancho or Diallo this time last year and he only got 3 starts in the cups before being sent on loan. I don't see how he doesn't get even less minutes this season.
Out of the two winger spots i think Lingard is actually the best defensively. I think he could be an option in games where we need one defensive winger. The James replacement if you will.

NK86

That's poor management and why Mourinho is such a short term coach. Why burn bridges with a player you are not sure will leave and you might have to rely on?
I think Ole would have clearly told Lingard privately that he is not in his plans. Ole is quite honest with his players from what i have read. Up to Lingard to show some ambition and move on for regular football.

Status
Not open for further replies.