Joao Cancelo | Bayern watch

T_Model101

I get it in the sense that City always have to have the money rolling in through sales.
He's 28 and ia they can get £60M for him and replace him with a Brazilian regen who their AI has identified 4 years ago, then why not?

simonhch

Horrible boss
Supports
Urban Combat Preparedness
Apparently fell out with Pep over the red card he got against Fulham in December. Been pretty much dropped since. Something clearly went on behind the scenes.

Hostekule

Pep has criticized his players for being too comfortable, having won 4/5 recent PL's. Cancelo is clearly one of the ones he's been talking about. Assume he's not training to Pep's standard.

“Maybe they’re too comfortable because we have won four Premier Leagues in five years. After we scored a goal they react, but that is not the point. We are far, far away from being able to compete at the highest level,” he said. “Do you think we are going to chase the gap to Arsenal the way we are playing? No way. Today we were lucky. If we want to win something or compete – but complaining, complaining, complaining [the players] – no chance we will win anything.”

Relfy

Seems a very odd move this. He's been phenomenal since arriving there. Surely its a major fall out with Pep, and Pep using that to send a message to other players in the squad?

FeedTheGoat

Supports
Man City
When he is in form he is unplayable but a very patchy player. Also a huge sulk. He will end up playing for a ridiculous amount of top teams during his career

Hoof the ball

He definitely had an argument with Pep or something. It all makes no sense
According to Blue Moon, they read that there were reports of Cancelo screaming into his phone in the tunnel, "Get me out of this f*****g club", so, yeah I'd say that something happened with Pep behind the scenes. I'll give Pep credit, he's got the same kind of ruthlessness that Sir Alex had. If there's someone stirring the boat and ruining the camp morale, he's not afraid to ship them out, even close to their relative peak.

matsdf

Apparently fell out with Pep over the red card he got against Fulham in December. Been pretty much dropped since. Something clearly went on behind the scenes.
This makes sense. He was almost immidiately dropped afterwards.

Brophs

The One and Only
Pep assuring him everything is okay and he’s not going to be transferred.

dinostar77

Mental, top player and City are getting rid of him. Shame hes a city player. Id have him at itd in a heartbeat.

dinostar77

I get it in the sense that City always have to have the money rolling in through sales.
He's 28 and ia they can get £60M for him and replace him with a Brazilian regen who their AI has identified 4 years ago, then why not?
Guardiola typing in "young replacement for cancelo" into chatBGT.

B. Munich

Supports
Bayern Munich
The data chatBGT uses are all pre 2022. Dest and Hakimi joined other clubs some time ago.

Smart move from Salihamidcic as Pavard is out of form since a long time and wants to move end of the season anyway.

Would Pep be interested in a swap deal? :wenger:

RedDevil@84

Pep has said he does not find it easy to motivate multiple title winning players to do it again and again. So he thinks it is easier if the team is refreshed in every 3-4 years.

padr81

Supports
Man City
Cancelo has had a terrible season and gone back to his pre-pandemic level of being absolute muck (back when he was called a flop). Pep questioned his attitude back then too but he turned it around. Looks to me like he's fallen back into old habits and Pep is having no more of it. I also feel for Cancelo a bit, he's the sacrificial lamb from what could be one of about six players this season.

Oranges038

Pep has said he does not find it easy to motivate multiple title winning players to do it again and again. So he thinks it is easier if the team is refreshed in every 3-4 years.
This is pretty much was SAF would do. Didn't matter who you were.

Become complacent, you're out.

Let your levels drop, you're out.

Become a nuisance, you're out.

Proper way to manage a winning side, gets rid of those who've lost the hunger and keeps everyone else on their toes.

DJ_21

Evens winner of 'Odds or Evens 2022/2023'
As if they’re willing to sell him and play ake instead… madness. There normally a team that likes the full backs which is why they’ve bought so many

Lay

Correctly predicted Italy to win Euro 2020
Could end up with two league titles this season

Acrobat7

Supports
Bayern Munich
While I of course welcome the loan as a Bayern supporter, I wonder how serious Mazraoui's illness really is. Thanks again to the fecking Moroccan FA.

RedDevil@84

This is pretty much was SAF would do. Didn't matter who you were.

Become complacent, you're out.

Let your levels drop, you're out.

Become a nuisance, you're out.

Proper way to manage a winning side, gets rid of those who've lost the hunger and keeps everyone else on their toes.
But Pep didn't talk about quality of the player or dropping levels. He said he finds it hard to motivate them to go again and again. I don't think SAF found that difficult. Else many of our players wouldn't have spent 10-12 years and even whole careers at the club.

Greyfog

Supports
Enugu Rangers
Ake offers better defensive stability than Cancelo, with all the goals they have been conceding something had to change. Yea going forward he is okay but defensively he is gash and is so casual with his defensive work. The error against Salah and the Fulham red card (a shoulder barge he absolutely didn't have to make) was what did it for him, both times you could see Pep was furious with him. I am not surprised he is getting loaned out, made too many mistakes at the back, plus getting dropped for Portugal showed his level had really dropped.

adexkola

Doesn't understand sportswashing.
The CL is a glorified FA Cup set to music
Supports
orderly disembarking on planes
But Pep didn't talk about quality of the player or dropping levels. He said he finds it hard to motivate them to go again and again. I don't think SAF found that difficult. Else many of our players wouldn't have spent 10-12 years and even whole careers at the club.
He doesn't have to. We see it on the pitch.

EtH didn't say much about Ronaldo but we know what it is

padr81

Supports
Man City
Ake offers better defensive stability than Cancelo, with all the goals they have been conceding something had to change. Yea going forward he is okay but defensively he is gash and is so casual with his defensive work. The error against Salah and the Fulham red card (a shoulder barge he absolutely didn't have to make) was what did it for him, both times you could see Pep was furious with him. I am not surprised he is getting loaned out, made too many mistakes at the back, plus getting dropped for Portugal showed his level had really dropped.
When his mind is in the game Cancelo can be quite a good defender but this is the second extended spell he's had at City where he's just atrocious (people forget how bad he was the season Liverpool won the title). The problem with Cancelo is when he's bad he's absolutely tumescent like 2/10 tumescent. When he's good he's amazing.

I saw someone questioning Ake above, but this season theres no comparison Ake looks like a solid if unspectacular left back. Cancelo looks like Lee Trundle playing LB if the premiership.

As you said the Fulham red, the Liverpool goal and he's completely culpable for the Bruno goal that made the derby 1-1. Yet again a lack of awareness and giving a feck. He bombed forward didn't get the ball and left a huge hole. Ake had to push across to LB leaving Akanji having no choice but to push out and left, leaving the space for Rashford to run on to.

Cancelo has cost City at least 4 points all in this season while being nowhere near his level of the last couple of seasons offensively. That said I have no doubt he'll do well at Bayern if he's happy there.

hasanejaz88

Supports
Germany
Would be interesting to see how he does at Bayern, they aren't known to be an easy place to settle and been be ruthless in their player selections. If Cancelo is coming in unmotivated and thinking he can take it easy then he'll struggle.

Coutinho was let go despite not being horrible, but was clearly not up to their standard. Sane hasn't exactly had an easy time of it there as well.