Joao Felix / on loan to Chelsea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Messier1994

The Swedish Rumble
Unsure but he has his whole career ahead of him and joined for what 100m eur?

We won't pay 70m either in my opinion.
I don’t know what he would go for or if he will go at all.

But there are reasons for questioning his price tag. Facts are that Joao Felix has gone to AtM and been a pretty massive bust. Right? AtM is not a great team at the moment, but he isn’t even getting playing time. Nor will that change anytime soon. At least not this or next season.

We can discuss if he is a fit tactically, but facts are that he is for AtM and he isn’t played.

In addition, it’s a fact that a lot of teams are hurting financially after the pandemic.

AtM has two options. Either they keep JF or they sell him. For them, that decision is strictly about what is best for them, ie to keep him or to sell him and use the transfer fee and salary savings on someone else.

If AtM keep JF for a year or two, will they get more for him then? Nah, that is hard to see. He will have become even more irrelevant.

My point is just — against the above background, arguments can definitely be made that it’s best for AtM to sell JF to the highest bidder. And if AtM in January or next summer goes — we will sell JF to the highest bidder — how much will they get for him? Besides us, who would pay 80m for him? 50m? Who got the money?

Bondi77

What about a swap deal for Sancho?
Sancho would probably do better in Spain anyway and we already have wing options.

ilrm

Supports
Real Madrid
Surprised to learn he is only 22 ... Why on earth is United looking to buy a player who has stagnated for the last 3 years? Why not buy a player clearly on an upcycle like a Moussa Diaby (Leverkeusen) or Leao (Milan)? Can United afford to bet on a 'turnaround' story? EtH needs to start winning trophies some time and you should get someone on his way up rather than Felix.

RedRonaldo

Wishes to be oppressed.
He'd cost a fortune no? 4 years left on his contract. He isn't a prolific scorer for a forward, 21 La Liga goals in 92 games and before you say "Atletico plays negative football", he's only got 3 goals for Portugal in 23 apps.

I don't see it myself, he'd cost too much and doesn't provide enough goal threat. We should be looking elsewhere.
Maybe he is one of those young players who will turn good in numbers once he hit the right age? Vinicius Junior is one good example of that, absolutely poor end products prior to last season, but always highly regarded as youngster and has real talent.

SportingCP96

emotional range of a teaspoon
Supports
Sporting Clube de Portugal
Way too good to be on the bench for atlético.

Someone needs to come save him.

SportingCP96

Supports
Surprised to learn he is only 22 ... Why on earth is United looking to buy a player who has stagnated for the last 3 years? Why not buy a player clearly on an upcycle like a Moussa Diaby (Leverkeusen) or Leao (Milan)? Can United afford to bet on a 'turnaround' story? EtH needs to start winning trophies some time and you should get someone on his way up rather than Felix.
United can’t attract a guy like Leao. He’s beyond their level.

However in Joao Felix this is the perfect opportunity to buy him because you would not afford him if he was playing what his Potential shows he can.

Felix is only 22 with world class potential. United have Martial…. That’s simply not good enough as he is 28 already and is hardly a good player.

Felix would fit this United team like a glove.

Varun

Staff

However in Joao Felix this is the perfect opportunity to buy him because you would not afford him if he was playing what his Potential shows he can.

Felix is only 22 with world class potential. United have Martial…. That’s simply not good enough as he is 28 already and is hardly a good player.

It's leao ffs, not mbappe.

Asleepdemand

Wtf did i just read? Did he earn last 5 golden boots and FIFA player of the year? Till the last Season who the feck give any shit about him?
Anway there is a guy who considering as a GOAT was benching in here so i'm wondering what kind of player could be beyond our level?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time
United have Martial…. That’s simply not good enough as he is 28 already and is hardly a good player.
He's 26.

When Martial is fit (and in form) he's a very good player, better than the majority of strikers we are getting linked to. Not only in his own right, but he has that great tendency to make the other players around him play better as well. The issue of course is his inconsistency, due to both his fitness issues and general form fluctuations. That's why we can't rely on him and definitely do need another option up front, but I certainly wouldn't say that he is 'hardly a good player'.

SportingCP96

Supports
The entire post is silly.

Martial was arguably the best all round striker in the league the last time he was fit for an extended period of time.
Are we talking about the same Anthony martial who has hit 20 goals 1x in his whole career?

For United current level he’s ok I guess but for any real team he’s absolutely rubbish and he has done nothing to show the contrary.

OmarUnited4ever

Excellent young player, not sure if he can play the CF role in Ten Hag's system, but I bet he can do well on the wings.

He'd be too expensive though so I think it is best to stay away from him.

If I am his agent, I would recommend he goes to a team with a manager that plays 352, so Conte or Potter, I think Chelsea and Potter might be a good place if he is made to be part of system that deploys 2 strikers.

SportingCP96

Supports
He's 26.

When Martial is fit (and in form) he's a very good player, better than the majority of strikers we are getting linked to. Not only in his own right, but he has that great tendency to make the other players around him play better as well. The issue of course is his inconsistency, due to both his fitness issues and general form fluctuations. That's why we can't rely on him and definitely do need another option up front, but I certainly wouldn't say that he is 'hardly a good player'.
Soon to be 27 (I was off by a year).

He has reached his peak and I doubt he will improve much more. Poor finisher, not particularly fast, not skillful, decent passer.

He is a poor mans prime Raul Jimenez. He would not start in a top 6 side, besides United atm.

SinNombre

Are we talking about the same Anthony martial who has hit 20 goals 1x in his whole career?

For United current level he’s ok I guess but for any real team he’s absolutely rubbish and he has done nothing to show the contrary.
How many times has Joao Felix hit 20 goals in his career in a top league?

What about his great goalscoring prowess for Portugal with 3 goals in 23 matches

SportingCP96

Supports
How many times has Joao Felix hit 20 goals in his career in a top league?

What about his great goalscoring prowess for Portugal with 3 goals in 23 matches
1. He’s hit 20 goals once (in Portugal)

2. He’s 22. He may well turn into a Anthony martial but where as Anthony martial has peaked and shown his ceiling, Felix has not.

3. Felix has more talent at the same age as Martial and a much higher ceiling.

4. More skillful and technically skilled on the ball. Much better passer as well.

Lastly whether Felix does or does not make it at the top does not change the fact that Anthony Martial is a average player. His numbers show that and he’s not getting any younger.

Wing Attack Plan R

Colchester United?

MadDogg

Manchester Utd never lose, just run out of time

He has reached his peak and I doubt he will improve much more. Poor finisher, not particularly fast, not skillful, decent passer.

He is a poor mans prime Raul Jimenez. He would not start in a top 6 side, besides United atm.
Martial is more of a poor mans Benzema. When he's in form he's better than Jimenez (who I do actually rate as well), and would easily start for Chelsea as well as us. The fact you think he's not skilful makes me think you haven't actually watched him that much. To be fair to you he hasn't really shown it these last two years, but when he's been fit this season he's looked like he's back to his form before that.

SportingCP96

Supports
Martial is more of a poor mans Benzema. When he's in form he's better than Jimenez (who I do actually rate as well), and would easily start for Chelsea as well as us. The fact you think he's not skilful makes me think you haven't actually watched him that much. To be fair to you he hasn't really shown it these last two years, but when he's been fit this season he's looked like he's back to his form before that.
If by poor you mean Goodwill or Salvation army poor then maybe.

Jimenez is a fair comp. In fact Jimenez has had a better season in England then Martial with Wolves.

I feel United should really aspire for better then Martial. In a REAL United team he does not get anywhere near the starting 11.

JPRouve

can't stop thinking about balls - NOT deflategate
Scout
If by poor you mean Goodwill or Salvation army poor then maybe.

Jimenez is a fair comp. In fact Jimenez has had a better season in England then Martial with Wolves.

I feel United should really aspire for better then Martial. In a REAL United team he does not get anywhere near the starting 11.
At which point is that a fact?

Slevs

likes to play with penises
I just think he is not the right player for us
Same. Great player but won't fit in my opinion. We need an actual striker who has good movement and is clinical, Felix seems like a jack of all trades attacker who can play anywhere.

Escobar

Shameless Musketeer
Same. Great player but won't fit in my opinion. We need an actual striker who has good movement and is clinical, Felix seems like a jack of all trades attacker who can play anywhere.
Agreed. I'd love an out and out striker, physical, quick, good finisher who contributes to our overall game. That seems to be the missing piece to win trophies

Raven

You're usually a decent poster but you're letting yourself down here.

largelyworried

Not the kind of player we need right now. We need someone who can hold the ball up and bring in others, lead the press and, preferably, someone decent in the air. Someone not unlike like Martial tbf, but without the sulking and sick note.

JPRouve

Scout
Martial best season was 23 goals.

Jimenez best season in England was 27.
Is that how you evaluate players? But lets say that you only relies on goals, one registered a goal every 155 minutes while the other did it every 166 minutes. The player that has the highest goal ratio also happens to have a higher assist ratio.

Reyoji-Utd

It boils down to who we really need

- the striker that Like Haaland (traditional striker that really just there to score and do pretty much nothing else)

-the technical/skillfull/link-up one like Martial (maybe a bit like 9.5 doing all the good things with the ball but have to really add goals)

Which one is ETH NEEDS for his TACTICS, not what we think we want.

Grande

I don’t get it. I had you figured for a serious and sensible poster, with the odd exception of a few portuguese clubs being the topic. But this sounds almost like you’re on a wind up.

1. Rafael Leao plays for a team that was trashed by Chelsea, whom United dominated this weekend. United spent 200m this summer. If it became an outright bidding war between Bayern, Real Madrid and United, anything could really happen, he might well prefer the other two himself, but apart from that scenario I’m not sure what kinds of levels you are talking about?

2. Felix may have world class potential. But in which position would he fit this team like a glove? Erik Ten Hag has used Sebastian Haller and Dusan Tadic as strikers at Ajax. Is Felix stylistically similar to these?

3. We have a subgroup of people among us who overestimate Martial wildly, and another who hate Martial with an irrational venom. But even these last wouldn’t agree with that assessment. Martial has other weaknesses. His technique is brilliant, he is normally a very, very good finisher, his passing is also very good for a striker. His weaknesses are application and proactive movement, at times, confidence, and lately, fitness. It’s fair if you as a Sporting fan haven’t seen much of United during his debut season, his second season under Mourinho, or his second season under Solskjær, but is there a need to be so dismissive of people who have seen things you probably have missed?

Bondi77

We couldn't afford him :lol: :lol:

Adisa

likes to take afvanadva wothowi doubt
It boils down to who we really need

- the striker that Like Haaland (traditional striker that really just there to score and do pretty much nothing else)

-the technical/skillfull/link-up one like Martial (maybe a bit like 9.5 doing all the good things with the ball but have to really add goals)

Which one is ETH NEEDS for his TACTICS, not what we think we want.
I don't think it should be debatable but to me it is clear we need the second profile more. With the exception of Sancho (who is in rotten form) and Martial (who is a sick note), all our attackers are individualistic, play head down and look to get shot away kind of attackers. It's a poor mix. Secondly, we do not dominate games near enough to support someone that just hangs around on the last line.
On Joao Felix, I don't know where this idea that he is not a striker comes from. He is, just a different profile. It's like saying Martial isn't one. I think under the right conditions, he can score goals. He will never be a prolific 30/40 goal a season striker but he will bring much more. He is also a lot stronger and faster than given credit for. People think because he's silky on the ball, he's more of a playmaker. He isn't.

pocco

loco
Keep a clean shit tomorrow, United is my final bus
Not the kind of player we need right now. We need someone who can hold the ball up and bring in others, lead the press and, preferably, someone decent in the air. Someone not unlike like Martial tbf, but without the sulking and sick note.
Not sure how much of him you've seen, but even if you just saw his performance against us, you'd see he does all that. Against us they sat deep, hit Felix with clearances, he held it up through skill and control, leading the counter. Which is a waste of his talents but he can do it. He even scored a great header against us.

JPRouve

Scout
I don’t get it. I had you figured for a serious and sensible poster, with the odd exception of a few portuguese clubs being the topic. But this sounds almost like you’re on a wind up.

1. Rafael Leao plays for a team that was trashed by Chelsea, whom United dominated this weekend. United spent 200m this summer. If it became an outright bidding war between Bayern, Real Madrid and United, anything could really happen, he might well prefer the other two himself, but apart from that scenario I’m not sure what kinds of levels you are talking about?

2. Felix may have world class potential. But in which position would he fit this team like a glove? Erik Ten Hag has used Sebastian Haller and Dusan Tadic as strikers at Ajax. Is Felix stylistically similar to these?

3. We have a subgroup of people among us who overestimate Martial wildly, and another who hate Martial with an irrational venom. But even these last wouldn’t agree with that assessment. Martial has other weaknesses. His technique is brilliant, he is normally a very, very good finisher, his passing is also very good for a striker. His weaknesses are application and proactive movement, at times, confidence, and lately, fitness. It’s fair if you as a Sporting fan haven’t seen much of United during his debut season, his second season under Mourinho, or his second season under Solskjær, but is there a need to be so dismissive of people who have seen things you probably have missed?
Felix is between Tadic and Martial but closer to Martial. And ETH has used literally all type of strikers.

Reyoji-Utd

I don't think it should be debatable but to me it is clear we need the second profile more. With the exception of Sancho (who is in rotten form) and Martial (who is a sick note), all our attackers are individualistic. It's a poor mix. Secondly, we do not dominate games near enough to support someone that just hangs around on the last line.
On Joao Felix, I don't know where this idea that he is not a striker comes from. He is, just a different profile. It's like saying Martial isn't one. I think under the right conditions, he can score goals. He will never be a prolific 30/40 goal a season striker but he will bring much more. He is also a lot stronger and faster than given credit for. People think because he's silky on the ball, he's more of a playmaker. He isn't.
Havent really watch ATM at all, only catch them when we play them on Pre Season and when he came on, he scored from just right outside the box. Looked pretty dangerous around that areas.

I tend to agree that we need someone to link up with others to bring them to the box with numbers.

I think fans kind of getting sucked into the coming-back fahsion of traditional 9 (with Haaland and Mitrovic...etc).

If you look more to ETH tactic and his Ajax, he needs more from his striker to just score goals. They are all good or very good at hold on the ball, technically skillfull, link up and then add goals to their play. Tadic and Haller not your typical 9.

Status
Not open for further replies.