Joao Felix

Pep's Suit

Surely one of the worst transfers ever?
1st season: 9 goals in 33 La Liga + Champions League games
2nd season: 10 in 39
3rd season: 1 in 12 so far

Back in 2019 it was reported City offered €90m or so for him but then he joined Atleti for €127m.

PepG

Supports
Ajax

Back in 2019 it was reported City offered €90m or so for him but then he joined Atleti for €127m.
More like the worst decision for a move ever by his agent and the player himself.. If Felix joined City in 2019 now he would have been one of the players in the world..

MrEleson

He should’ve gone to city. He would’ve been so
much better today if he did. Atletico are a bad fit for players of his ilk.

lsd

The Oracle
He should’ve gone to city. He would’ve been so
much better today if he did. Atletico are a bad fit for players of his ilk.

That's true but everyone knew that at the time so surely he and his advisors did as well

He only has himself to blame for pretty much wasting three years

SCP

Supports
Sporting Clube Portugal
It's far to say since the creation of this thread the development of his carrer has been complete crap.

The Purley King

A few whispers the other day that we might be interested in signing him.
I haven't seen him play for ages, but he looked special before he went to Atletico.
Might be an interesting option if its £40-50m?

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
I haven't seen him play for ages, but he looked special before he went to Atletico.
I had a dream a few weeks ago that we swapped Werner with Joao Felix and it ended up suiting both teams and both players down to the ground and everyone flourished.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
If we forgot about how much he cost -

Is he actually a good player?

AjaxCunian

vexingwijsneus
Supports
Ajax & United

I think so yes, has wasted some good years though. Absolute terrible career decision from him and his management but his quality on the ball is class.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea

He has his moments but he's been horribly used both at club and national level. He really did his career a disservice by going to Atleti - I suspect had he gone to City instead he'd be not quite in Haaland's bracket but not terribly far away.

I'd be much more worried about City if they got him instead of someone like Kane.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
I had a dream a few weeks ago that we swapped Werner with Joao Felix and it ended up suiting both teams and both players down to the ground and everyone flourished.
That's...actually a brilliant idea for all parties. Werner on the break out of Atleti's deep blocks would be a perfect fit.

tomaldinho1

So hard to know if a player will look good or bad outside of Athletico, I’d think he could still be a top player but he needs to be in an offensive possession based team. Could he compete with Jesus at City? Chelsea or them probably the best fit.

Tom Cato

Godt nyttår!
He has his moments but he's been horribly used both at club and national level. He really did his career a disservice by going to Atleti - I suspect had he gone to City instead he'd be not quite in Haaland's bracket but not terribly far away.

I'd be much more worried about City if they got him instead of someone like Kane.
Its everyones fault but Felix?

Players of the extreme upper echelon of the game finds ways to shine regardless of where they play, since they're just better players than everyone else.

I think his ceiling is that of his clubmate, Antoine Griezmann. A very good European striker, but two steps away from the games very best. Of course systems and environment play a big factor, a player like Memphis Depay who had a career turnaround after leaving the Premier League, but even he is still "just" a very good striker, and thats where I see Felix's best season. 20-24 La Liga goals.

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
Its everyones fault but Felix?

Players of the extreme upper echelon of the game finds ways to shine regardless of where they play, since they're just better players than everyone else.

I think his ceiling is that of his clubmate, Antoine Griezmann. A very good European striker, but two steps away from the games very best. Of course systems and environment play a big factor, a player like Memphis Depay who had a career turnaround after leaving the Premier League, but even he is still "just" a very good striker, and thats where I see Felix's best season. 20-24 La Liga goals.
He moved when he was 19 after 1 professional season for Benfica. Griezmann moved to Atleti when he was 23 and he had already spent 5 professional seasons in Spain with Sociedad. Of course Felix isn't blameless but his career has objectively been horrendously mismanaged.

I don't necessarily disagree with you over his ceiling being someone like Griezmann, but I think you're underrating Grizzou a bit - he was credibly a top 5 player in the world when Atleti were at their peak.

saivet

So hard to know if a player will look good or bad outside of Athletico, I’d think he could still be a top player but he needs to be in an offensive possession based team. Could he compete with Jesus at City? Chelsea or them probably the best fit.
I agree that he'd be a good fit for City and possibly Liverpool as well. Less convinced about Chelsea however if we didn't have so many strikers, I actually think he'd be a decent option to play in a 4-2-2-2 at United but he'd need to paired alongside someone we can rely on primarily for goals. In my mind him paired alongside Greenwood or Ronaldo could work pretty well.

Bebestation

How has he been poorly used? I hardly watched him and I always thought of him like a False 9 player or support striker.

How would you say he plays (similarity to another player) and how is he being used at Atheltico?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid

Yes, very much so. Simeone has completely botched his development because he doesn't trust him.

Move to Atletico came too soon, should have stuck at Benfica for a couple more years or went somewhere like Dortmund

Bebestation

Yes, very much so. Simeone has completely botched his development because he doesn't trust him.

Move to Atletico came too soon, should have stuck at Benfica for a couple more years or went somewhere like Dortmund
I wrote a post above about how he plays and what type of player he is etc - can you let me know your opinion?

giorno

boob novice
Supports
Real Madrid
I wrote a post above about how he plays and what type of player he is etc - can you let me know your opinion?
He's a classic attacking mid/second striker. Where they play him isn't an issue, it's how they play that usually is, and how much they ask him to do on his own. He's a good dribbler but not really the hazard/vinicius type of ball carrier, he's a more associative player, like Griezmann. Difference is A) he moved there at 19, still far from a consistent performer at the level required of Atletico, B) he just doesn't have Griezmann's engine and defensive attitude and hardworking nature, and then Simeone always kept a too tight leash with him, soon as he had a poor game he'd yank him and then keep in on the bench the next game...

TheMagicFoolBus

Supports
Chelsea
How has he been poorly used? I hardly watched him and I always thought of him like a False 9 player or support striker.

How would you say he plays (similarity to another player) and how is he being used at Atheltico?
He's been moved all over the place to accommodate other players - oftentimes he's been asked to play on the left wing and/or used to cover others defensively (e.g. Ronaldo for Portugal), which is suboptimal.

He's best used as an inside forward and/or second striker buzzing around behind a more static CF. He reminds me a lot of Rui Costa personally - not necessarily the most explosive player especially in terms of attacking space, but very composed on the ball in congested areas and an excellent dribbler. Current Reus is also a pretty good comparison I think now that he's lost some of his ridiculous pace and has been used centrally much more of late.

tomaldinho1

I agree that he'd be a good fit for City and possibly Liverpool as well. Less convinced about Chelsea however if we didn't have so many strikers, I actually think he'd be a decent option to play in a 4-2-2-2 at United but he'd need to paired alongside someone we can rely on primarily for goals. In my mind him paired alongside Greenwood or Ronaldo could work pretty well.
Yh if he was the 10 and Greenwood was the 9 I assume that would suit their skillsets. I do wonder however if he’s one of these players like Dybala who everyone likes, we think they’ll be phenomenal in a top team but they never really become elite because their position is hard to define. Lautaro would probably be my realistic choice as a striker for our system alongside Greenwood.

Wow, I just checked to see his age and Dybala is 28! Jeez I feel old.

saivet

Yh if he was the 10 and Greenwood was the 9 I assume that would suit their skillsets. I do wonder however if he’s one of these players like Dybala who everyone likes, we think they’ll be phenomenal in a top team but they never really become elite because their position is hard to define. Lautaro would probably be my realistic choice as a striker for our system alongside Greenwood.

Wow, I just checked to see his age and Dybala is 28! Jeez I feel old.
I think he fits into the bracket of Dybala. Good and talented player but probably requires a certain set up for him to thrive, certainly doesn't seem like a player you could throw into any team at all.

Peyroteo

Professional Ronaldo PR Guy
Supports
Sporting CP
He's crap, for club and country. He's always injured and too weak to play at the top level still.

Has some talent but it's not anything otherwordly either. He'll be back at Benfica in a few years.

Jibbs

I think he is the kind of player who will suit City perfectly.

gibers

I think he fits into the bracket of Dybala. Good and talented player but probably requires a certain set up for him to thrive, certainly doesn't seem like a player you could throw into any team at all.
Isn't that the same for most players?

He made an absolute error joining Simeone's team. I'm glad he joined them and not City. The kid had it all. He has wasted the first half of his career for more money.

saivet

Isn't that the same for most players?

He made an absolute error joining Simeone's team. I'm glad he joined them and not City. The kid had it all. He has wasted the first half of his career for more money.
I think most wide attackers and more traditional no.9s should be capable of playing in a number of teams but I think the likes of Dybala and Felix are better suited to playing as a false 9 or as part of a pairing up front which makes them more difficult to incorporate. Most teams deploy a traditional no.9 and the days of having two strikers up front is not where near as common.

Lecland07

First time I have seen him do much, to be honest.

Only has 3 goals this season in the league, so he has a hell of a way to go to warrant the €113m figure.

Yagami

Good post resistant
We're desperate for players like him. Players who can dribble and keep the ball under pressure.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
He needs get away from that terrorist Simeone.

cyberman

Good header but didn’t do much after. A ridiculous overhead kick attempt ruining a rare attack after the goal should be coached out of him by now.

Gringo

Supports
Portugal
He's a Guardiola player if I've ever seen one.