Joao Felix

Stadjer

How exactly does he fit like a glove? We need a target man. This guy has never scored more than 10 goals in a season. We can’t just keep relying on rashford for the goals. Fits like a glove? Does he feck.
You do know it is possible to play without a target man? Manchester City did it for years and arent doing a lot better now they do have a target man that can hardly stop scoring. Liverpool didnt play with a big target man for years and did just fine. If Felix makes it easier for Rashford to score (which he likely would) than he does fit like a glove.

croadyman

You do know it is possible to play without a target man? Manchester City did it for years and arent doing a lot better now they do have a target man that can hardly stop scoring. Liverpool didnt play with a big target man for years and did just fine. If Felix makes it easier for Rashford to score (which he likely would) than he does fit like a glove.
Yeah this one is fully on Glazers not Erik and looks a stupid and costly decision going by his two performances so far

croadyman

I am in the same boat as you are. We have spent a lot but that was because post Fergie no value in the market we had a poor squad and needed a lot of investment, and with Woodie at the helm we have also spent poorly.

But now we have good team frankly after a while, just need to top of with a CM to play alongside Casemiro, ST and cheap rotation option for Cas. We will require some investment for this, with Qatari owners I am sure we will be going for the best available players, instead of shopping in the loan and knock off market like we have in the January.
Still need a new GK for first XI too,also CB maybe even RB and backup ST to really compete on all fronts next season

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
At least most of us saw this coming. Him being suspended helped me forget for a while, but I braced myself a while ago for the constant feelings of irritation/jealousy that are to come.

Positive is that it’s a loan without option to buy, but if he does well I don’t see why Chelsea don’t pursue him and, if Boehly’s still burning cash for fun, also don’t see how we beat them to him unless Felix has some preference for United/Manchester.
Or a preference for Wednesdays over Thursdays.

Davie Moyes

I've not watched him that much to make a judgment about whether he would be a good fit for us as we are sorely lacking a number 9. However would I be wrong in assuming he could do the Martial role for us (and actually stay fit)? Link up, hold up etc?

Von Mistelroum

I mean, I did say when we were after him and when he signed for Chelsea, that he would be our best or second best player if he came here. He would have been too!

croadyman

I mean, I did say when we were after him and when he signed for Chelsea, that he would be our best or second best player if he came here. He would have been too!
This is hopefully Glazers final middle finger up to us in terms of transfers,stings he went to a rival team though

Ayoba

Poster of Noncense.
He would've made an instant impact and possibly been the difference between pushing for a title run as opposed to shitting about a top 4 finish.

MyOnlySolskjaer

Creator of Player Performance threads
He would've made an instant impact and possibly been the difference between pushing for a title run as opposed to shitting about a top 4 finish.
There's still a chance we can get him in the summer. Chelsea won't have any European football and if things change with our ownership there's hope.

croadyman

Yeah crucial goal against Palace away which means we are able to take Casa off for Arsenal,grrr that is so frustrating

Pyroblazer

That's a hot jacket, man
A lot of knee-jerk reactions to be fair. He had several games like that for Atletico too and also for Portugal. He was always talented and looks class in the a game here and there, but consistency was always the biggest issue with him. If he plays like that for the next 10 games, we can be worried, right now he is doing the exact same thing he did at Atletico every year, so some comments on him and Simeone make no sense to me.

Also let's not forget we didn't miss out because we didn't try hard, we missed out because we didn't want to pay a insane Ioan fee for a player who might return to Atletico in the summer if Simeone leaves. I am definitely not looking at Chelsea at the moment and thinking "Yeah that's how we should do things."

Stadjer

Or a preference for Wednesdays over Thursdays.
If you look at what Chelsea is adding (investing) to their squad and what Manchester United is adding to the squad i would bet on Chelsea playing on Wednesdays more often than Manchester United will. Maybe not next season but Chelsea contracts are that long that there will be enough years to play in the CL with Chelsea.

redshaw

I've not watched him that much to make a judgment about whether he would be a good fit for us as we are sorely lacking a number 9. However would I be wrong in assuming he could do the Martial role for us (and actually stay fit)? Link up, hold up etc?
He's got the skill set to do that and more. Probably our best option for link up play, holding the ball in attack and can also drop deep supplying great balls, he worked very well with Bruno for Portgual too. He would add a new dimension to our attack really plus a decent header of the ball and physically much stronger recently. He's a young bull these days with sumptuous skill.

Invictus

Poster of the Year 2015 & 2018
Staff
Supports
Piracy on the High Seas.
How exactly does he fit like a glove? We need a target man. This guy has never scored more than 10 goals in a season. We can’t just keep relying on rashford for the goals. Fits like a glove? Does he feck.
He has, though. In his first season as a senior footballer...

I'm not 100% sure he is exactly who we need at this juncture, but ten Hag made very good use of Tadić as a playmaking center forward (even though he had next to no first-hand experience for that, having mostly operated as an attacking midfielder or winger in previous seasons). In theory, Félix does seem to be one of the best candidates for that role — as a creator and facilitator, he has the lot (and he's also a capable scorer, despite under-delivering at Atlético). A wonderful ball carrier too, which is an attribute we sorely lack in the central part of the attack unless Martial's there. And Rashford's explosion as a goalscorer makes Félix a more appealing prospect (as opposed to a conventional striker). You can definitely see where the posters who want him at United are coming from.

croadyman

He's got the skill set to do that and more. Probably our best option for link up play, holding the ball in attack and can also drop deep supplying great balls, he worked very well with Bruno for Portgual too. He would add a new dimension to our attack really plus a decent header of the ball and physically much stronger recently. He's a young bull these days with sumptuous skill.
Will never understand why Glazers tied Erik's hands for someone who could have given us that edge in second half of season

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
If you look at what Chelsea is adding (investing) to their squad and what Manchester United is adding to the squad i would bet on Chelsea playing on Wednesdays more often than Manchester United will. Maybe not next season but Chelsea contracts are that long that there will be enough years to play in the CL with Chelsea.
You should probably pick up a newspaper mate.

Bebestation

Im a doctor btw, my IQ destroys yours
False 9’s look a bit dead.

Ofcourse he is good though but still I can see why Ten Hag may avoid it.

appleman

Supports
Atletico Madrid
The one that got away.
Make that double :(

But still have hopes he either returns to a Simeone-less Atleti or moves to United. He could definitely work in a Martial role, but it would help to have a more striker-y striker as backup. With players like Rashford, Bruno and Antony (or at least two of them), Felix up front could definitely work, but to be able to balance it out with the occasional second striker role would do wonders for him and the team. On the other hand, at times that could be Rashford, or they could switch positions during the game. I want to say Martial could be that guy, but even cloud-headed dreamy little me has to acknowledge that it becomes harder and harder to rely on his injury track record... Still an Martial FC member, but it's hard to see them play when most games are cancelled.

If United will be rich rich, getting both Felix and Osimhen (and Frenkie in midfield) would make them a title contendor, and possibly even a favorite, in a single summer. Other buys would be for solid backup, in my opinion, though having someone like Frenkie (or similar profile) would already be much better coverage for another Casemiro ban than McFredzersen are, and Dalot and AWB cover the right pretty well, with Malacia and Shaw on the other wing doing similarly. Perhaps a better Williams type for both sides would be helpful, but as a 3rd option on either side, that might as well be a youth prospect - if available - or Telles if he wants to stay around. And if you get Frenkie, you'll have more options to play with Eriksen at 10 (and Sancho - and Felix) in case Bruno can't. Rashford, Sancho, Antony, Garnacho, Bruno, Felix is plenty for the wings, and then Osimhen, Felix, Martial, Rashford up front and ETH will have plenty decision headaches ahead of him, and would have to try his best to make it suck. I can only imagine this happening, but it would be glorious.

TLDR: Felix is a good player.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
Antony vs Madueke
Martinez and Varane vs Badiashlie/Koulibaly
Rashford vs Mudryk/Sterling
Shaw vs Cucurella

Most importantly ... ten Hag vs Potter.

Enzo is a class signing yes. Felix is an expensive loan that won't make a difference to them this season as they are so far off. Most important to a team's success is the manager, and they don't have that yet. Time will tell what they do. It is also likely that next summer United suddenly become very strong in the window again (not that we weren't last summer, but anyway). So why exactly are Chelsea more likely? They're 12 points behind us and have just 3-4 players who get into our best team (Enzo, James (though he's always injured), whoever at striker as ours is always injured, Kepa though that one is soft)... They spent 600m and need another 300m and a new manager, along with a lot of time to gel. They're a long way off.

Though fair play, Enzo is class.

Basically they'll need to spent 120m on Felix, 120m on Osimhen, pay to sack Potter and get a better manager, and then another 80m or so to get Rice next to Enzo. Then yeah they should be proper competitors.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Im sure you could explain instead
Fair enough - well in spite of our modest January spending it is likely, due to a probable takeover, that we’ll spend a lot more going forward. Not to mention that if we can find 100m-odd to buy Felix in the first place then I doubt he’d be worried about us being able to compete in the market, and if we can’t, then it’s a moot conversation in the first place. If we have little/no money we couldn’t afford to buy him anyway.

TheReligion

Abusive
Fair enough - well in spite of our modest January spending it is likely, due to a probable takeover, that we’ll spend a lot more going forward. Not to mention that if we can find 100m-odd to buy Felix in the first place then I doubt he’d be worried about us being able to compete in the market, and if we can’t, then it’s a moot conversation in the first place. If we have little/no money we couldn’t afford to buy him anyway.
Can’t believe you have to explain this

Red-17

Him possibly fitting into our squad if we change our set up is not him "fitting like a glove". Yes there is a scenario where he would suit us very well, but you are implying that we have a Joao Felix shaped whole in our squad which just isn't the case in our current set up. His best two positions are literally where our best two attackers currently play.

Stadjer

As long as a take over hasnt taken place and that new owner hasnt shown the willingness to spend big i am going to use the current situation as the standard.

It would be nice if a take over happend and that the new owner is willing to spend money but as long as it hasnt been confirmed im not starting to dream about signing multiple expensive players or 100m transfers just yet. Until comfirmed, im not going to get my hopes up.

Its not impossible that next year at this time the Glazers are still the owner. Its not what anyone wants but it is possible.

Son

When the takeover happens I’ve said all along I would love him as a false 9. Top player even if he doesn’t score a tonne of goals neither does Martial and Felix offers much more.

Stadjer

Antony vs Madueke
Martinez and Varane vs Badiashlie/Koulibaly
Rashford vs Mudryk/Sterling
Shaw vs Cucurella

Most importantly ... ten Hag vs Potter.

Enzo is a class signing yes. Felix is an expensive loan that won't make a difference to them this season as they are so far off. Most important to a team's success is the manager, and they don't have that yet. Time will tell what they do. It is also likely that next summer United suddenly become very strong in the window again (not that we weren't last summer, but anyway). So why exactly are Chelsea more likely? They're 12 points behind us and have just 3-4 players who get into our best team (Enzo, James (though he's always injured), whoever at striker as ours is always injured, Kepa though that one is soft)... They spent 600m and need another 300m and a new manager, along with a lot of time to gel. They're a long way off.

Though fair play, Enzo is class.

Basically they'll need to spent 120m on Felix, 120m on Osimhen, pay to sack Potter and get a better manager, and then another 80m or so to get Rice next to Enzo. Then yeah they should be proper competitors.
It wasnt totally based on the current situation though, it was more based of last winter. Chelsea did some massive investments and ten Hag got Weghorst on a loan. If that difference of investing keeps up than Chelsea will likely be above Manchester United in the (near) future. If Chelsea do buy a great forward and someone to play with Enzo, their team will be improved a lot. Boehly seems to be 'all in' so i dont think Chelsea will now be done with spending money.

Funny how Potter his stock dropped in a short time. He was highly rated before this Chelsea adventure. But if he really isnt good enough, i doubt Boehly will have any doubt and kick him out. They might seem like a long way off now but things in football can go quick, Liverpool their drop off just happend. Arsenal seemed a way off. Even Manchester United seemed a long way off top 4 before ten Hag signed and now people are talking about challeging for the title.

The main reason i made the comment is because i think its a very lazy comment/idea that Felix would pick Manchester United over Chelsea just because Manchester United might play CL next season and Chelsea very likely wont.

bosnian_red

Worst scout to ever exist
It wasnt totally based on the current situation though, it was more based of last winter. Chelsea did some massive investments and ten Hag got Weghorst on a loan. If that difference of investing keeps up than Chelsea will likely be above Manchester United in the (near) future. If Chelsea do buy a great forward and someone to play with Enzo, their team will be improved a lot. Boehly seems to be 'all in' so i dont think Chelsea will now be done with spending money.

Funny how Potter his stock dropped in a short time. He was highly rated before this Chelsea adventure. But if he really isnt good enough, i doubt Boehly will have any doubt and kick him out. They might seem like a long way off now but things in football can go quick, Liverpool their drop off just happend. Arsenal seemed a way off. Even Manchester United seemed a long way off top 4 before ten Hag signed and now people are talking about challeging for the title.

The main reason i made the comment is because i think its a very lazy comment/idea that Felix would pick Manchester United over Chelsea just because Manchester United might play CL next season and Chelsea very likely wont.
Potter's stock has fallen sure but also, he was never Pep/Klopp/Arteta/ten Hag. That's what Chelsea have to compete with. Honestly couldn't give a feck who they buy, the manager is by far the most important thing, and if they don't have one who can get them playing on a top level, implement a top system, then they simply won't reach that level. Potter was good at Brighton but also Brighton are showing it wasn't so much him, as they have been better without him anyway.

Luis Enrique gets Chelsea competing at the top IMO. Sacking Tuchel was a brain-dead decision as he's a top manager.

Idxomer

Really such a good footballer to watch, a bit lazy off the ball though.

cyberman

Felix values Chelsea so highly that he signed a contract extension with Atletico before a loan move and won’t move there in the summer.

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
Felix values Chelsea so highly that he signed a contract extension with Atletico before a loan move and won’t move there in the summer.
That has nothing to do with Chelsea though, surely? That was just an FFP manoeuvre by Atleti and he agreed? Anyway the idea isn’t that he values Chelsea higher than United in general, it’s that he values Chelsea higher than United after spending 6 months playing here.

cyberman

That has nothing to do with Chelsea though, surely? That was just an FFP manoeuvre by Atleti and he agreed? Anyway the idea isn’t that he values Chelsea higher than United in general, it’s that he values Chelsea higher than United after spending 6 months playing here.
If he wanted the move he would have pushed for an option or something. Or even a move outright, Chelsea spent plenty of money after him and the loophole was still there for Chelsea to exploit.
The story I’ve read by Romano is it was simply a move by Atletico to protect themselves because they are basically losing his services for half a season so want that back.
I’m just arguing against this showing he would pick Chelsea over United if Chelsea didn’t have CL simply because he hasn’t really chosen Chelsea now .

WeePat

Supports
Chelsea
If he wanted the move he would have pushed for an option or something. Or even a move outright, Chelsea spent plenty of money after him and the loophole was still there for Chelsea to exploit.
The story I’ve read by Romano is it was simply a move by Atletico to protect themselves because they are basically losing his services for half a season so want that back.
I’m just arguing against this showing he would pick Chelsea over United if Chelsea didn’t have CL simply because he hasn’t really chosen Chelsea now .
Of course it’s a loan move in the middle of the season. No one is claiming that he’s declaring his undying love for Chelsea by agreeing to a loan move. I dont think it’s controversial to say he’d prefer Chelsea in the summer over despite lack of CL football after spending 6 months here.