Joao Neves

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
Herrera was actually mostly deployed an the most attacking midfielder at Bilbao, and actually played as left winger a good number of games too. Dunno how he ended-up becoming a center midfielder. Sometimes a player's career takes mysterious paths.
I think Herrera was an 8. They had the guy who went to Bayern playing behind, Javi something, and I think Oscar de Marcos was more the one playing at the tip. Then there was also Munain in that area.

Ekeke

I think Herrera was an 8. They had the guy who went to Bayern playing behind, Javi something, and I think Oscar de Marcos was more the one playing at the tip. Then there was also Munain in that area.
Nah Ander was the AM/10 but they were a very resilliant and solid team. He was pressing and making some tackles from the front and his end product wasnt great from a player in that position. He used to get booked a lot so when he looked like he was signing, then actually did sign the season after the mysterious 3 fake agents story I thought he wasnt going to be disciplined enough to play CM. Turned out he loved the defensive responsibility aspect and didnt improve on the attacking side like was expected

De Marcos was box to box, a runner who didnt have a lot of end product either, played right cm of a 3 or right midfield and ended up a rightback where he still plays. And yes Javi Martinez was a DM for them but he left in 12/13, 2 seasons before Ander left. Iturraspe was their main DM then and they played 2 with Mikel Rico also starting.

SirMonteyne

Dear Sir James 4/1 Ratcliffe,

I kindly request that you arrange for this gentleman to join our club.

Thank you.

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
We need both. We need a defensive midfielder to replace Casemiro, and we need an actual no.8. A proper central midfielder. Fernandes, Mount, Eriksen, and McTominay may between them embody various traits but none of them are actually central midfielders and do their best work further up the field.
I agree with this. I really want us to have a top midfielder who can be the best player on the pitch without scoring or assisting, or even winning the most tackles. Just good midfielding. Passing, turning, give and go, beating a press. All of those traits are missing with this compilation of 'impact' players we have in midfield. It's as if we have assembled our midfielders with the profiles of either forwards or defenders. Many are judged the same way you will judge a winger and the rest the same way you would judge a centre half. A lot of the basics are missing.

gaffs

Watching a replay of the Benfica-Sporting game.

Can tell you this, Joao Neves is the type of player you really fall in love with and it wouldn’t surprise me if he was ETHs top pick of all non-mega stars out there.

Short, like 5’8, too big shorts, shirt tucked in, tree trunk legs, low center of gravity. He got deceptive speed. Really good technique and passing foot.

In this game he plays like a deep CDM, no doubt about that. He wins a lot of battles for the ball and is very effective playing a high defense due to his deceptive speed, someone wins a ball, looks up and see someone coming at him from afar, takes another touch and before he knows what have happened, Neves has poked the ball away.

He is a very physical player who get involved in a ton of battles. It’s like with Kanté, sure he is short, but he is like a magnet on the ball and players just tumbles over him left and right.

On the ball, he is very fluid. He often just floats away from pressure. He also got a superb passing foot, delivers perfect long range passes and crosses.Takes corners from the left for Benfica. A little Enzo/Felix vibe when he pass the ball.

Completely fearless. Plays on a team with Otamendi, Di Maria and many others good experienced players. But in added time when they were chasing a Sporting in the lead but with only 10 men, it’s often him they leave the build up to.

He isn’t as methodical/structural as say a Nigel de Jong in how he builds up the play. But he only just turned 19 y/o.

I am immensely impressed with him. Hard to see why he should be in a hurry to leave Benfica — but I would definitely not have anything against it if we paid Enzo type of money for this kid in January. Imagine a midfield with this kid and Mainoo in a few years…

Another positive is that Barca and Real probably aren’t in for paying big money to Benfica for a CDM. Neither is Chelsea. City has moved a bit in a different direction. Could be our chance to get a really special talent.

Lastly, just a caveat, this is just based on seeing him a little in the CL and then this game in Primiera Liga. Could of course have missed aspects that would have been apparent if I had seen more of him.
Good summery, but Enzo type money? That was £107 million after winning the WC and getting young player of the tournmanet.

I think with INEOS coming in, it doesnt feel like we will be paying that kind of money for young, developing players.

parmenio

Gyokeres is an INSANE prospect. I’m a Porto fan and I can tell you that we’ve never had a striker with his size, speed and scoring ability growing up in our league.

Neves is pretty good. I’m not ready to fawn over him yet. And 174cm seems super generous
I Was at the game. Neves is the real deal Bossed the midfield. Gyokeres is not an insane prospect he’s 25 was 2nd top Scored in championship last season and been around a bit. He’s a decent player for sure took his goal really well and that was about it. Hes good but he’s a known player. Neves however stood out a Mile. Diamande was also very good. Love him at United as well.

Mainoldo

Probably a great player but not what we need to fix our problems unless he’s the second coming of Cesc Fabregas.

Cassidy

No longer at risk of being mistaken for a Scouser
We need more physically imposing players in our midfield. Not a fan of this signing for that reason

Isotope

Ten Years a Cafite
Played for Brighton before that, too. Highly rated.
He's only exploding with Coventry, a championship team. But had 2 good seasons there.

Yeh, i'm going by his wiki.

Gyokeres is an INSANE prospect. I’m a Porto fan and I can tell you that we’ve never had a striker with his size, speed and scoring ability growing up in our league.

Neves is pretty good. I’m not ready to fawn over him yet. And 174cm seems super generous
Watched his Coventry's goal compilation, kinda makes me wonder why he went to Sporting. He has all attributes to fit in PL.

daba

Quickly warming to the idea of this lad.

He's young yes, but his Fbref report looks ridiculous and he looks the business from every clip I've seen - not just because he tucks in his shirt which I also love. If we could get him for a reasonable fee (ie. not Enzo money) then I'd be 100% on board. The prospect of having him and Mainoo as our midfield would really step up our ability to retain and progress the ball and would be the antithesis of the years of McFred we had to endure.

Interesting that we were linked with this lad so early, even before he fully broke into the team this year. What bodes well is that both Barca and Madrid's midfields are pretty stacked with young talent already, and Chelsea have just spent €250m on new midfielders, so at the moment our only real competition if we're serious about him would be City, Liverpool, Newcastle, maybe Arsenal. Normally I'd be more pessimistic but all the talk of our new directors coming in gives me hope that we'll have an exciting project to pitch to young players moving forward.

Do I think Benfica will want to part with him so early though... probably not.

elmo

Can never have too many Eevees

Hulk?

maurinho

Supports
FC Porto
Hulk was even more explosive but a tad shorter and didn’t have much of an aerial game.

It really is a shame that he chose Zenit and other big money clubs. He’s my favorite player to wear the blue and white

Bojan Djordjic

We need more physically imposing players in our midfield. Not a fan of this signing for that reason
I'm usually the biggest advocate of the tippiest tappiest hipster targets but having watched for the last two years get ravaged in midfield by what should on paper be far inferior midfields, I just want a physically dominant DMC that can cover large areas and win all his headers while being able to build up to a passable degree. Neves looks really promising and doesn't seem like he shirks a challenge but I'm not sure he complements the other midfielders and hopefully Mainoo can do everything he can do.

Ekeke

So Pogba, Fellaini, McTom and Casemiro have done what you wanted from our midfield?

I do think that if he was also tall and very strong the sky would be the limit for him, but I dont think its important enough to take away from the kind of technical and agile passing midfielder he seems to be. The Barcelona and City type, rather than us going for players like Amrabat who is taller and stronger but at the cost of ability on the ball

Adnan

Talent Spotter
I think we need two midfielders with one being physically and athletically gifted where he can eat up ground very quickly and win his duels in a larger space when the opponent is looking to transition quickly. The players who stand out in that regard are Amadou Onana and Lucas Gourna-Douath who is currently at Salzburg.

We can then target a Joao Neves, Oscar Zambrano or Arthur Vermeeren as well. I also really like the young midfielder from Corinthians (Gabriel Moscardo) who at 18 looks top quality and someone who I think we could target under a more ambitious owner.

I think signing two of Todibo, Lukeba, Silva, Diomande at CB along with one of Amadou Onana Lucas Gourna-Douath in midfield would significantly raise our ability to compact the space and control defensive transitions a little more comfortably in larger spaces. That would then provide the platform for the likes of Mainoo and Joao Neves to play their game.

Baxquux

I think we need two midfielders with one being physically and athletically gifted where he can eat up ground very quickly and win his duels in a larger space when the opponent is looking to transition quickly. The players who stand out in that regard are Amadou Onana and Lucas Gourna-Douath who is currently at Salzburg.

We can then target a Joao Neves, Oscar Zambrano or Arthur Vermeeren as well. I also really like the young midfielder from Corinthians (Gabriel Moscardo) who at 18 looks top quality and someone who I think we could target under a more ambitious owner.

I think signing two of Todibo, Lukeba, Silva, Diomande at CB along with one of Amadou Onana Lucas Gourna-Douath in midfield would significantly raise our ability to compact the space and control defensive transitions a little more comfortably in larger spaces. That would then provide the platform for the likes of Mainoo and Joao Neves to play their game.
Like the sound of this in principle, but how is Lucas Gourna-Douath as a passer? Even if we're relying on them to win and then give it to more expansive/creative passers, the DM needs to be ok under pressure....

Adnan

Talent Spotter
Like the sound of this in principle, but how is Lucas Gourna-Douath as a passer? Even if we're relying on them to win and then give it to more expansive/creative passers, the DM needs to be ok under pressure....
He's a very good passer of the ball as the second midfielder in a two with the bulk of the build up responsibility falling on the CBs and first receiver(s) in midfield, which would be Neves and Mainoo in midfield if we were to go off hypothetical scenarios.

Cassidy

So Pogba, Fellaini, McTom and Casemiro have done what you wanted from our midfield?

I do think that if he was also tall and very strong the sky would be the limit for him, but I dont think its important enough to take away from the kind of technical and agile passing midfielder he seems to be. The Barcelona and City type, rather than us going for players like Amrabat who is taller and stronger but at the cost of ability on the ball
I really didnt say being physically imposing should be the only attribute. But you bring up City who has Rodri who both has the physical attributes to go with the technical ones. This is what we need (when you consider the other midfielders we have also)

Casemiros decline this season is quite obviously linked to his physical decline by the way

I like the look of Neves I would not sign him though because we need a player who is good on the ball but can also dominate that area physically. Which by the way Amrabat can’t (he is too slow and poor in the air)

Ekeke

I really didnt say being physically imposing should be the only attribute. But you bring up City who has Rodri who both has the physical attributes to go with the technical ones. This is what we need (when you consider the other midfielders we have also)

Casemiros decline this season is quite obviously linked to his physical decline by the way

I like the look of Neves I would not sign him though because we need a player who is good on the ball but can also dominate that area physically. Which by the way Amrabat can’t (he is too slow and poor in the air)
Thats what we need considering our other options and overabundance of midfielders who want to get forward you are at least partially right. But not in general and thats how I read it as and why I disagreed.

Also I think its far more important that we get someone who wants to play in actual midfield, get on the ball and help build up from deep and link our play towards the attackers with passes and enjoys the responsibility of competing for the ball and tracking back - all far more important than being physically strong.

If a technical featherweight has that mentality and is able to win the ball a lot with interceptions and tackles rather than because they are physically strong it doesnt matter as much. Just get the job done. If Rodri was 5'8 and not as strong he'd still be able to do a good job in his position. At that point you might say hey we have someone 9/10 in that position there maybe we can find someone who is similar on the ball and is taller and more powerful to be your 10/10 DM but we're currently operating a million miles from anyone doing Rodri's job with high marks. So a 7/10 would be a vast improvement

Cassidy

Thats what we need considering our other options and overabundance of midfielders who want to get forward you are at least partially right. But not in general and thats how I read it as and why I disagreed.

Also I think its far more important that we get someone who wants to play in actual midfield, get on the ball and help build up from deep and link our play towards the attackers with passes and enjoys the responsibility of competing for the ball and tracking back - all far more important than being physically strong.

If a technical featherweight has that mentality and is able to win the ball a lot with interceptions and tackles rather than because they are physically strong it doesnt matter as much. Just get the job done. If Rodri was 5'8 and not as strong he'd still be able to do a good job in his position. At that point you might say hey we have someone 9/10 in that position there maybe we can find someone who is similar on the ball and is taller and more powerful to be your 10/10 DM but we're currently operating a million miles from anyone doing Rodri's job with high marks. So a 7/10 would be a vast improvement
Yes, it wasn't a general comment was specific to what I feel we need right now, we are extremely lightweight in many positions.
Also, I agree we need someone who wants to play in midfield and get on the ball, but I also believe we need a midfielder who can dominate opponents too, I actually think we need both profiles right now.

I'll say it again though and even extend it beyond midfield, we need more physically imposing players, especially in midfield and defence. That is not saying its more important than the technical attributes, its saying our squad is less physically dominant in makeup vs City and Arsenal and it will be a factor in my opinion.

Primex

Diomande,tchoumeni,todibo and wirtz would have been the dream signings for me

davidmichael

So is Joao Neves a mini/young De Jong’esque player ? A deep lying playmaker who plays best in front of the back four with the ability to dribble forward and turn defence into attack like I’ve seen De Jong so many times ? I know nothing other than what I’ve seen of him this season

Rozay

Master of Hindsight
So is Joao Neves a mini/young De Jong’esque player ? A deep lying playmaker who plays best in front of the back four with the ability to dribble forward and turn defence into attack like I’ve seen De Jong so many times ? I know nothing other than what I’ve seen of him this season
The thing with ‘De Jong’esque’ players is that being like him doesn’t really mean anything. You have to literally be De Jong or it doesn’t really matter. I’ve never seen a midfielder who can carry the ball from deep as well as him in my life. There have been many midfielders who can carry the ball though, but the main benefit with FDJ is that his is so ridiculous. ‘Normal’ ball carriers would probably just get dispossessed more often, or simply not have the running power to cover the distance FDJ can, even if they have the feet.

Brightonian

The thing with ‘De Jong’esque’ players is that being like him doesn’t really mean anything. You have to literally be De Jong or it doesn’t really matter. I’ve never seen a midfielder who can carry the ball from deep as well as him in my life. There have been many midfielders who can carry the ball though, but the main benefit with FDJ is that his is so ridiculous. ‘Normal’ ball carriers would probably just get dispossessed more often, or simply not have the running power to cover the distance FDJ can, even if they have the feet.
Agree with this. I also think we should stop thinking this way generally. If you can't get the excellent player you want, don't try and find someone with less quality who's as similar as possible. Think about each potential signing on their own merits. Every player is unique and you're always setting yourself up for failure if you buy a striker because he's 'Kane-like' or a midfielder because he's 'FDJ-esque'.

I like Neves, and would definitely take him for a reasonable fee. Eriksen and Casemiro were always a temporary reprieve because ETH couldn't get the CMs he wanted. Injury has limited them more than it might have (but that's the risk you take with older players, isn't it). Nonetheless both were important to last season's relative success. In a team in better form Amrabat and Mount should both be good options, better than Fred and McT have been. Neither is the really key presence in an ETH side though, the creative and defensive CDM. We all think Mainoo might have that potential one day but we should certainly have an option with more senior football under his belt, and Neves might be a realistic one.

Cathy Ferguson

1.74m is very short for a CM in the PL but seems like a better dribbler than any of our wingers. Mainoo as no 6 and Neves as no 8 might work.

Borussia Teeth

1.74m is very short for a CM in the PL but seems like a better dribbler than any of our wingers. Mainoo as no 6 and Neves as no 8 might work.
I would love to see this. Having a couple of young, top level technicians would transform our build up play.

matherto

ask me about our 50% off sale!
David Silva and Bernardo Silva, two of the best midfielders of all time in the Prem, both shorter than that.

Paul Scholes, also one of the best midfielders of all time in the Prem, shorter than that.

Scott McTominay, absolutely abysmal midfielder - 1.93m tall.

STYLOISRED

Moussa Dembele of Tottenham???

Cathy Ferguson

David Silva and Bernardo Silva, two of the best midfielders of all time in the Prem, both shorter than that.

Paul Scholes, also one of the best midfielders of all time in the Prem, shorter than that.

Scott McTominay, absolutely abysmal midfielder - 1.93m tall.
Will of course depend on his role in the team. Height is quite important for a CDM but not for an AM like the players you mention.