Joe Cole

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Had a decent career, I think he would have achieved much more had it not been for injuries.
Harry Redknapp said Fergie often asked about Cole when he was coming through at West Ham.
Think he was a victim of coming through when pretty much all English clubs played 4-4-2. Then at Chelsea he did play some good seasons before getting injured but he had to fit into a 4-3-3 on the left.

Nowadays he'd be playing in the number 10 role no question.

FootballHQ

Supports
Aston Villa
Still think to myself how that West Ham side got relegated with David James, Nigel Winterburn, Don Hutchingson, Lee Bowyer, Michael Carrick, Trevor Sinclair, Jermain Defoe, Paolo Di Canio, Freddie Kanoute, Les Ferdinand, Glen Johnson and Joe Cole. A big squad with talented players, the mix of youth and experience that can carry you through to have a great season. And they ended up relegated!
Glenn Roeder as their manager pretty much the answer.

BTW I actually forgot Joe Cole actually played for us for 18 months when in semi retirement so I guess I need to get over to the did the really play for that club thread. :lol:

VorZakone

What would Kenny G do?
To be fair to Joe Cole, that's not completely out of the realm. If Clattenburg didn't give Spurs red cards because of optics, it wouldn't be that crazy to say that perhaps they didn't want to overrule the ref today.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
We've got a new Richard Keys in the making.

Was it clear from the replay that a mistake had been made? I haven't seen it.

NinjaFletch

Was it clear from the replay that a mistake had been made? I haven't seen it.
Nah, it wasn't a clear error. It was a bit soft, but there was definite contact and Adrian was nowhere near getting the ball.

You'd be annoyed if that was given against you, but not much scope to say it was an entirely incorrect decision either.

DOTA

wants Amber Rudd to call him a naughty boy
Nah, it wasn't a clear error. It was a bit soft, but there was definite contact and Adrian was nowhere near getting the ball.

You'd be annoyed if that was given against you, but not much scope to say it was an entirely incorrect decision either.
Ta.

Cole can do one, then. I can't say I've ever seen suggestions that he was a thoughtful voice in our sport and if he's easy to jump to comments like that then I don't think it's worth seeing if he'll ever become one.

Bulldog United

I don't think it was a sexist remark. There was just so much build up to the fact the final was being officiated by three women, that it's not unreasonable to wonder if UEFA might prefer if no big decisions were overturned unless it was absolutely blatant they had to do it. Nothing to do with the women officiating or their competence, just a general wondering would UEFA prefer to tread carefully to avoid overshadowing an occasion they had helped play up.